Thread: Trivia time: Why is Friday the 13th considered an unlucky day?

Question Trivia time: Why is Friday the 13th considered an unlucky day?

There is a historic reason that Friday the 13th has entered the myth of Superstitions as an unlucky day.

Do you know why?

Let's see how long it takes for the correct answer to show up. I will give you this hint.

It involves French history.

Because it was the first ever VHS video I ever watched on a VHS video recorder. True. That and The Night Porter which I never actually watched as it was hired for my cousin. Oh and also Driller Killer which was grim.

Very interesting. Thanks for the links.

Hmm, I never thought about this before, the multiplication table only goes up to 12 x 12.

I knew about the hotel thing, and I guess this goes along the same reason I guess, but I've heard that hospitals in Japan do not number the 7th floor. I guess it's bad luck, but does anyone know why it's bad luck in Japan?
    signature image

Oh and also because Saturday 14th was always the spoof movie

Good call LUCKY. The dissolution of the Templars and the confiscation of thier goods and murder of thier leaders is the generally accepted cause.

Originally posted by Lucky
    It sounds like you don’t approve and if so I will delete that thread as not to offend anyone just let me know.
    Wherever did you get that Idea. What the King may have done 500 years ago is not likely to upset me.

Your use of a reference source is no problem.

And why in the world would I disapprove or you think so.

Historically the crowned heads of the past, the religions of nearly every ethnic group has indulged in such acts for thousands of years.

Be it Christian, Muslim, Jain, Shiite or whatever. In that regard none are "without sin" and the morality of the times was what it was.

From our imaginary height on the moral ladder we can condem them, but given the time and place they occured at, and the now from which we view them, we are assuming a position we in this modern era can't really maintain.

Witness: Tourquemada, The rape of South America by the Spaniards, The devastation of India and Africa by the British, The French killing of the indians of N. America with smallpox infected blankets, the massacare of the Amerindians by our own government and people.
    Hitler
    Pol Pot
    Noriega
    Sadaam
    To name a few. History is, and trying to change it is fruitless, and rather stupid. Preventing it in the future is another situation.

Big Grin

Originally posted by theBlackman
    Wherever did you get that Idea. What the King may have done 500 years ago is not likely to upset me.

Your use of a reference source is no problem.

And why in the world would I disapprove or you think so.
    I'm sorry! I am glad you like them I think I just misunderstood sorry.

Big Grin

well i have to tell you that friday the 13th has always been lucky or normal for me, my most unlucky day is january 1st. have no idea why. [ perhaps it has somthing to do with one of my past lives]
    signature image

Originally posted by Aquarius
    ...but I've heard that hospitals in Japan do not number the 7th floor. I guess it's bad luck, but does anyone know why it's bad luck in Japan?
    Actually that's incorrect. The luckiest number is 7.
    In Japanese the number "4", pronounced shi,also has the meaning "death". The number "9", pronounced ku, also has the meaning "pain". So Japanese hospitals usually have neither 4th nor 9th floors. You should then not give presents that consist of 4 pieces. In some hotels the room 4 is skipped.
    The number "42" (shini) also means "to die".
    The number "43" (shisan) also means "still birth".
    The number "24" (nishi) also means "double death".
    These are all also avoided.