Thread: Doing Less Damage?

Doing Less Damage?

I feel like I have been doing much less damage recently. Usually when I get a Long Gui's legs about half way down I will use Highwind to take it out(while staggered). I have been doing this for almost 2 months recently farming them. Now all of a sudden I do much much less, usually having to go Cerberus on the legs even after that. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by lez4lightning
    I feel like I have been doing much less damage recently. Usually when I get a Long Gui's legs about half way down I will use Highwind to take it out(while staggered). I have been doing this for almost 2 months recently farming them. Now all of a sudden I do much much less, usually having to go Cerberus on the legs even after that. Any ideas?
    The best suggestion against the Long Gui is to have 2 or 3 Elixers if you can get them. Have your TP bar atleast at 3 so you can summon. If you summon, the legs are automatically disabled. Keep hitting with the summon and the Character. Do not use Gesault mode. Once the summon is gone. Keep hitting with your party.

Repeat this multiple times as long as you have the Elixers to re-fill your TP gauge.

It took me about 3 tries doing this and I finally was able to defeat the animal and gain the trophy.

The only two trophies I have left is the 5 star battle rating on all missions and the Treasure Hunter one.

I have been killing them for a while now, my strategy is to debuff the legs both at once and then take them to stagger quickly with tri-disaster, get the legs half way down easily during stagger and then finish off the leg with Highwind, I have collected multiple traps and plat ingots from them, just lately I seem to do much less damage is all.

Did you recently complete any missions? Specifically, if you complete all 7 missions in the circle of stones on the north-eastern part of the Steppe, most of the turtles on the Steppe will transform. Adamantoise and Adamantortoise will become Long Gui, and Adamanchelids will become Shaolong Gui.

So what I'm wondering is if you unknowingly triggered this transformation. Adamantoise and Adamantortoise are tough, but Long Gui is much tougher and is best fought with a rather different strategy (Vanille is the best leader against Long Gui, whereas Fang is best against Adamantoise).

Oh yeah I know I am fighting Long Gui It was because I accidentally unequipped my genji gloves. I think I have a pretty good strategy against the Long Gui, but definitely would love it if you would share how you use Vanille to take it out, without Death I hope you mean.

Yes, unequipping Genji Gloves would also limit your damage ^_^

tl/dr summary: Vanille is the best leader against Long Gui because she can Poison it, she has Bravera and Faithra, and because Death is the strongest spammable attack against Long Gui.

I don't actually have a lot of personal experience with killing Long Gui; just a lot of exposure to expert players who do have that experience. A large part of why Vanille is the best leader against Long Gui is in fact Death, but not because of the instant kill factor. Unlike Adamantoise, Long Gui is immune to instant Death, so trying to make that work would fail anyway.

Death, like all of the full-ATB skills, bypasses damage resistance. Since Long Gui resists both physical and magical damage even after you take out the legs, bypassing that resistance is a huge advantage. In terms of damage output, the full-ATB skills rank as follows (assume a shift to Commando during the animation where neeeded):

Highwind (during stagger) > Sovereign Fist (during stagger) > Death = Last Resort > Army of One > Highwind (no stagger) = Sovereign Fist (no stagger) > Cold Blood

Of those skills, the first two can't be effectively spammed, since they are only good during a stagger and using them ends the stagger. That leaves Death and Last Resort as the strongest spammable full-ATB skills.

Death has an additional property, unique among the full-ATB skills. It can be given an elemental attribute using a spell like Enfire. This means you can double its damage against any enemy who is weak against Fire/Ice/Thunder/Water, or who can be made weak against one of those elements using Imperil. This includes Long Gui, and therefore Death is approximately twice as effective as Last Resort in this fight.

So, Vanille is the best leader vs. Long Gui in large part because she possesses the highest damage attack that you can repeatedly use against it. Another factor--one that she shares with Fang--is her access to the Bravera and Faithra buffs. I don't think I need to explain the power of these; they are twice as good as Bravery or Faith once you can make them last a decent amount of time.

Finally, Vanille has Poison, which is extremely powerful against high HP enemies like Long Gui. Controlling Vanille allows you to prioritize Poison and to ensure that it does not fall off.

Here's a vid from Arthellinus where he demonstrates these principles: http://youtu.be/A9cCXBO7oTY