Thread: Fade to black: easier method?

Fade to black: easier method?

Fade to black: easier method?

As part of an intro sequence, doing a fade to black from inside a room is easy enough, I just set the ambient to 0 0 0 and turn off the lights. However, if I want to do a fade to black when the player is outside, I've ended up with this jurry rigged set of ten custom flashbombs that go off in sequence (from light gray to black) and then teleport the player to an all black room. However, this is a pain to set up, and I keep thinking there's got to be an easier way to do it. Any thoughts?

Francine,

I haven't done any camvator stuff yet but after ready your description of how its done I think I have thought of a solution.

I'll work on it later and see if it works.
    Baddcog's Thief II GalleryLeft 4 Dead now available
    Custom Objects, Missions, 3d Tuts, ect...

Originally posted by Schwaa2
    ...I think I have thought of a solution. I'll work on it later and see if it works.
    Thanks.

Francine,

Sorry to say I couldn't get my idea to work. It was a "black Box" object that would fade in increments to transparent.

When inside a lit room, but inside the box everything is pitch black. I tried to use a conversation, and an AiWatchObj link to add and subtract variing levels of alpha transparency.

I think it could work great if someone could just figure it out. I don't have the time.

Another option which I really don't have the time for is setting it up alot like the keepers in Equilibrium. where S&R's on the lights control the transparency. That might work too.

If anyone wants to look into this deeper I can e-mail the object, mis, and gam to them to give it a go.

I'd like to have a look at it, but I doubt it would work properly because of the way object lighting is handled by the engine. It doesn't really care if an object is transparent or not, or if other objects (the black box in this case) are between a light source and an illuminated object.

I'll send you a PM with my email address (sorry, I'm a spam paranoiac... )

I just PMed you with my email address Schwaa. Thanks.