Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Thread: Your overall opinion

Your overall opinion

  1. #1

    Your overall opinion


    i think FFXIII is one of the best game in FF series.


    i like the characters especially Vanille and Serah...


    the story is good and make you wonder a lot at the first time....


    the term Fal Cie and L Cie makes me confuse at first haha

  2. #2

    I also loved FF XIII. However, Serah and Vanille were my least liked characters in this game. They were way to childish for my taste, and I did not really like their character designs. I think that Lightning and Fang were much better characters.

  3. #3
    My idea is this is NOT! No more anything like the game that appassioned everyone of the RPG fans. No moving freedom, no classes or jobs and a combat style that have been adapted from FF X-2 till now and that is NOT a Final Fantasy style! Best ones are the older ones, becoming acceptable from the 6th chapter (Final Fantasy 6) and flown over its layout from Final Fantasy X-2. Writing this things cause i don't wanna see THE BEST RPG SAGA OF EVER finish eaten by the modernization, i just finished FF XIII that i haven't liked and i just bought FF5 cause is only the one of the best in the PSN Store, maybe only the remake of classics will be a good idea, and maybe in other languages like ITALIAN too. I hope you will gain my advice as a friendly tip and NOT as a critical^^. thank you again for the best times passed in front of the TV, bye

  4. #4

    There is nothing "friendly tip"ish about this topic. All you've done is make an a** out of yourself by pointlessly flaming the best selling FF game yet. Yes, it is a Final Fantasy game. Saying it isn't is either displaying narrow-minded elitism or illiteracy. No, it is not the best game of the series. We all know that. It is strictly linear for 90% of the game, but that makes it so much more enjoyable when you finally reach CH11. It does a lot better job at invoking emotion that the majority of the other FFs and makes you empathize with the characters, which is the POINT of a RPG.


    If you're saying this "isn't a Final Fantasy game" because of the linearity and new gameplay aspects, they you should also be saying 3 (added the ability to change jobs), 7 (added 3D graphics), 8 (enemies leveled up with you), 10 (added voice acting), 11 (MMO), and 12 (took out the battle screen) "aren't Final Fantasies" because they innovated the technology and gameplay aspects of the game. Every series evolves, if we still got the turn-based system or 2D graphics of the games of old the FF series would flop because those games don't sell well anymore.


    Also, please work on your English and proofread your posts here. It took me five or six reads of that to understand what you were attempting to say.

  5. #5

    Just because Square-Enix has been creative and made it's own unique (and awesome) game doesn't mean it's not a FF title. I think after twenty-five years of Final Fantasy, they decided that introducing a new way to play their games would be a good idea which I agree with whole-heartedly. You can still level up and do similar things in traditional RPGs; it's just switched up in fun, unique ways.


    I'm sorry if you don't like the game, but all I can say is that if you like the old-school FFs then play those. If you don't want to delve deeper into the great storyline and awesome mechanics of XIII and XIII-2 then don't complain about it and find another game, lol.


    -RGC

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    196

    Originally Posted by Basho


    There is nothing "friendly tip"ish about this topic. All you've done is make an a** out of yourself by pointlessly flaming the best selling FF game yet. Yes, it is a Final Fantasy game. Saying it isn't is either displaying narrow-minded elitism or illiteracy. No, it is not the best game of the series. We all know that. It is strictly linear for 90% of the game, but that makes it so much more enjoyable when you finally reach CH11. It does a lot better job at invoking emotion that the majority of the other FFs and makes you empathize with the characters, which is the POINT of a RPG.


    If you're saying this "isn't a Final Fantasy game" because of the linearity and new gameplay aspects, they you should also be saying 3 (added the ability to change jobs), 7 (added 3D graphics), 8 (enemies leveled up with you), 10 (added voice acting), 11 (MMO), and 12 (took out the battle screen) "aren't Final Fantasies" because they innovated the technology and gameplay aspects of the game. Every series evolves, if we still got the turn-based system or 2D graphics of the games of old the FF series would flop because those games don't sell well anymore.


    Also, please work on your English and proofread your posts here. It took me five or six reads of that to understand what you were attempting to say.


    Fully agreed. It's as if some people want the same formula for every game; innovation ceases and gamers lose interest. Square Enix is doing a great job of keeping the Final Fantasy series modern and appealing.
    “Turn to the light. Don't fear the shadow it creates.”

  7. #7

    Originally Posted by Warmatcher
    My idea is this is NOT! No more anything like the game that appassioned everyone of the RPG fans. No moving freedom, no classes or jobs and a combat style that have been adapted from FF X-2 till now and that is NOT a Final Fantasy style! Best ones are the older ones, becoming acceptable from the 6th chapter (Final Fantasy 6) and flown over its layout from Final Fantasy X-2. Writing this things cause i don't wanna see THE BEST RPG SAGA OF EVER finish eaten by the modernization, i just finished FF XIII that i haven't liked and i just bought FF5 cause is only the one of the best in the PSN Store, maybe only the remake of classics will be a good idea, and maybe in other languages like ITALIAN too. I hope you will gain my advice as a friendly tip and NOT as a critical^^. thank you again for the best times passed in front of the TV, bye


    Paragraphs would be a good start if you want to make an effective argument. Like others, I had a hard time reading this.


    Also, there are "job classes" if we're being honest. The Paradigm Shift is simply a variation on that, and yeah, it draws a lot of influence from X-2's system. Some are going to like it and others won't. I've always admired Square's insistence on contually changing and trying new things in their releases. I don't always like the changes, but I appreciate that they're not selling me the same game over and over again. Speaking of which...


    As for rereleasing or remaking the classics, Square does that fairly often. In Italian too. I don't know whether you're in North America or Europe, but the PAL releases all should have an Italian option. FFV included.


    ETA: While I can understand the linearity complaint, I still find it a little interesting given the series has never truly been non-linear. Even when it did offer more freedom, your options generally came down to following the main story's instructions or going off into territory where higher leveled monsters would shred you apart.

  8. #8

    As much as I agree with Warmatcher about not liking the game, I strongly disagree it should even be a question whether or not this is really a Final Fantasy game. As mentioned above, practically every Final Fantasy had some changes and or introduced new elements of game play, whether radical or not.





    This is hardly the place to nitpick about a Final Fantasy title you didn't like. It really is, in a way, offensive to do so specially on this site, the maker of the game. If you didn't like it, then play the ones you did or go find some other RPGs you'll enjoy and stop posting useless topics that are just going agitate the fans of the game into a frenzy.





    "advice as a friendly tip"

  9. #9

    Though the game was linear from the very beginning to the end of Chapter 10, that didn't stop me from liking the game. I enjoyed the fast-paced battle system, and the story was its strong point (at least to me). I was more interested in the characters rather than comparing the game with the classic FF games. Innovation is needed, otherwise the franchise would lose its place in the market.


    And let's be honest, a thread like this one is bound to create nothing but conflict and disagreement.
    One who knows nothing can understand nothing.

  10. #10

    Admit it. You're just mad because Orphan whooped your ass. Don't feel bad. I raged hard too when I couldn't beat Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy VIII.

  11. #11

    Hmmm... there are several things here that I agree with from both sides... and things I disagree with.





    1) I give credit to SE for trying to be innovative, undeniably change needs to happen or the series will die. However, this game had a neat idea that was poorly implemented. I haven't played 13-2 yet and am hoping for improvements there, but 13's gameplay revolved around the role shifting and, again while this was a cool idea, it was poorly implemented. Grinding for experience and rewards took too long because the only enemies that were worth fighting were mini bosses (so grinding took way to long, either fighting many weak enemies or fewer long battles against stronger ones). Only the real bosses provided a challenge enough to shift regularly, but even then the shifting was not required often enough. The X button was mashed and auto battle was selected way to frequently.





    2) the story makes no sense. While the nouns that were created where already pointlessly similar to each other (L'Cie, Cieth, Fal'Cie is just asking to confuse people), the characters insisted that they would NOT fight because it would destroy cocoon, but the only antagonist that was presented for them to fight against was the enemy they didn't want to fight, yet went charging at him anyways instead of running in the opposite direction. The characters where, for the most part, the same whiny teenagers we can see in any anime. The all had their moments, but more often than not the story was more of a drama than FF players are used to. And while this might be another attempt to inovate the series, many older fans and even newer ones find this game in particular unappealing (and it annoys most westerners).





    3) If the sales where higher for this game than any other, consider a few things. It was on multiple consoles. It looked amazing. As much as the gameplay isn't really all that fun, it is flashy and looks good. I can't tell you how many people I know who have bought the game and never beat it, because they saw the opening cutscene and some fights at a friend's house. XIII-2 hasn't been out nearly as long, but the sales are still drastically lower. There is a reason for this. Even if XIII-2 is an improvement, XIII left a bad taste in the mouth of many gamers.





    4) Why would anyone cry against Orphan... FFXIII was an easy game compared to some of the older games. Comparing Orphan to Omega weapon makes no sense either, Orphan is a final boss for a story and Omega Weapon is the ultimate lvl 100 boss of a seperate game...





    Lastly, I want to say that the replies here are more insulting and offensive than the original post. Forums exist to give opinions. He shared that he did not think the game was as good as the older games, but I don't see how that is in any way offensive. Someone even said that you shouldn't complain about a game in the developer's forums... the developers actually WANT to see customer feedback, you know. Good and bad. Clearly, you have never been to a Bioware forum. I realize that, speaking from personal experience on this site, SE fans and members tend to find zero faults in SE games, while other developers have a much more critical fanbase, but the occasional poster who disagrees with the general consensus should not be offensive to you, and is not "making an @$$ of himself". He said he doesn't consider ff13 part of the series. I don't consider the mmo's to be part of the series myself. I don't see how any of what he wrote was offensive, it was just an opinion about a game (I never understood how insulting a game could insult a fan of the game, its not like he is saying YOU ALL STUPID FOR LIKING FF13)

  12. #12

    Originally Posted by Jalian


    Hmmm... there are several things here that I agree with from both sides... and things I disagree with.





    1) I give credit to SE for trying to be innovative, undeniably change needs to happen or the series will die. However, this game had a neat idea that was poorly implemented. I haven't played 13-2 yet and am hoping for improvements there, but 13's gameplay revolved around the role shifting and, again while this was a cool idea, it was poorly implemented. Grinding for experience and rewards took too long because the only enemies that were worth fighting were mini bosses (so grinding took way to long, either fighting many weak enemies or fewer long battles against stronger ones). Only the real bosses provided a challenge enough to shift regularly, but even then the shifting was not required often enough. The X button was mashed and auto battle was selected way to frequently.



    I agree that one could abuse the auto battle system if you were just wanting a button masher, but I and many others rarely if ever used it. The AI was horrible, and selecting abilities always proved superior.




    2) the story makes no sense. While the nouns that were created where already pointlessly similar to each other (L'Cie, Cieth, Fal'Cie is just asking to confuse people), the characters insisted that they would NOT fight because it would destroy cocoon, but the only antagonist that was presented for them to fight against was the enemy they didn't want to fight, yet went charging at him anyways instead of running in the opposite direction. The characters where, for the most part, the same whiny teenagers we can see in any anime. The all had their moments, but more often than not the story was more of a drama than FF players are used to. And while this might be another attempt to inovate the series, many older fans and even newer ones find this game in particular unappealing (and it annoys most westerners).



    Those nouns were created that way to show their relationship. The cast returned to Cocoon in the end to stop the Cavalry from destroying it, and then decided to try to find a way to stop Barthandelus so that the mess that was happening to Cocoon would never happen again. The only character that was whiny in the least was Hope, and after chapter 10 even he cleaned up his act. Even though I personally did not enjoy this game nearly as much as any other FF I've played, I can see why a ton of people enjoy it.




    3) If the sales where higher for this game than any other, consider a few things. It was on multiple consoles. It looked amazing. As much as the gameplay isn't really all that fun, it is flashy and looks good. I can't tell you how many people I know who have bought the game and never beat it, because they saw the opening cutscene and some fights at a friend's house. XIII-2 hasn't been out nearly as long, but the sales are still drastically lower. There is a reason for this. Even if XIII-2 is an improvement, XIII left a bad taste in the mouth of many gamers.



    I only used that point to show that it has a lot of support. I am aware of why it sold well, but that does not change the fact that it did. It was also quite well received, which is somewhat proven by the fact that Hope now has the largest fangirl following since Cloud. The gameplay, to me at least, was a blast. It took a ton of strategy both before and during the battles to succeed. I would like to see someone kill, say, a shaoulong gui with just the auto-battle command. It's nearly impossible. Also, the real reasons XIII-2 isn't selling as well? It didn't get all that great of reviews and it's a time travel game. A lot of people I know that loved XIII refused to buy XIII-2 not because it left a bad taste in their mouths, but because they stay away from time travel games.




    4) Why would anyone cry against Orphan... FFXIII was an easy game compared to some of the older games. Comparing Orphan to Omega weapon makes no sense either, Orphan is a final boss for a story and Omega Weapon is the ultimate lvl 100 boss of a seperate game...



    While this isn't the best comparison, I understand why he made it. Omega Weapon is something you can accidentally come across in Ultimecia's Castle. This makes it the hardest boss one is likely to fight. Due to the extensive mission list, most of the more casual gamers won't make it to the long guis making the adamantoise and Orphan the toughest fights they are likely to see.




    Lastly, I want to say that the replies here are more insulting and offensive than the original post. Forums exist to give opinions. He shared that he did not think the game was as good as the older games, but I don't see how that is in any way offensive. Someone even said that you shouldn't complain about a game in the developer's forums... the developers actually WANT to see customer feedback, you know. Good and bad. Clearly, you have never been to a Bioware forum. I realize that, speaking from personal experience on this site, SE fans and members tend to find zero faults in SE games, while other developers have a much more critical fanbase, but the occasional poster who disagrees with the general consensus should not be offensive to you, and is not "making an @$$ of himself". He said he doesn't consider ff13 part of the series. I don't consider the mmo's to be part of the series myself. I don't see how any of what he wrote was offensive, it was just an opinion about a game (I never understood how insulting a game could insult a fan of the game, its not like he is saying YOU ALL STUPID FOR LIKING FF13)


    He did not "share that he did not think it was as good as the older games". If he did, that would have created a constructive discussion of the faults in FFXIII and ways other player work around them (for gameplay faults, at least). He said it should not be called a Final Fantasy title because he did not enjoy it. He did not come in here to share an opinion, he came here to be a troll. I don't like trolls, which is why I was slightly rude towards him. If you think SE has a non-critical fanbase, you need to actually meet the SE fanbase. A lot of the people I encounter, especially in real life and GameFAQs, that are SE fans are more critical of SE than the majority of people who play a SE game here and there. Here we gather because we all enjoy the majority of SE games, so you'll only really encounter the most supportive fans. Also, nitpicky bit here but Final Fantasy isn't technically a series. It's a collection of titles featuring similar elements, but the majority of them are entirely unrelated. This is why it is idiotic to say that a specific title is "not an FF game". There is nothing that makes something a FF game other than the title of the game. I didn't call him stupid for not liking the game, I called him narrow-minded and said he was being an elitist for declaring that FFXIII should not belong in the FF franchise simply because he did not like it.

  13. #13

    if this was trolling, it was a bad attempt at it. He actually does say that it is "his idea"(opinion) that it is not considered part of the series (which he has every right to say; again, I say the mmo's aren't part of the series because, to me, the main numbered final fantasy series is made up of single-player story driven games, and therefore FF mmo's are spinoffs and not main entrees to the series for me) and lists reasons he thinks so, comparing it to FFX-2, FF6, and lastly FF5. He did have some incorrect information (as several people rightly pointed out) but in general it feels like the rude responses are unnecesary and uncalled for, and if he is indeed a troll (again, it is a bad attempt at it, the fact that its his only post on the website suggests that it is a troll, but most trolls come better prepared and would actually target a game that is less conroversial than FFXIII, which actually has polarized the fanbase; he would target a game with more excitable fanboys like FF7, where he knows people will get mad)but if he is indeed a troll, then the rude responses MAY be deserved (again, I don't see how anything he said would offend anyone here) but rude responses to a troll serve to feed the troll, an angry response is the reason the troll trolls to begin with, and long paragraphs countering what he said is further proof to him that he angerd you. Lastly, two wrongs don't make a right, so the rudeness wouldn't be justified to begin with.





    And I have seen seriously critical fans of final fantasy. I have also seen the massive numbers of over-dedicated fans who outnumber the critical ones. But my comment about that was because someone said that this is the wrong forum to post grievances that he has with FFXIII because it will anger the fans into a frenzy (if it is a troll, he is correct; if not, then he actually does have the right to post his issues with the game in this forum).




  14. #14

    My problem with the post was that it sounds like an attack on the game itself, rather than an attempt to start a discussion. If he wants to rag on the game in such a manner, this is not the place to do so; a blog is better suited for that. These forums are for support and constructive criticisms of SE games. You are entitled to the opinion of not thinking a game is an "actual" FF game, but this really is not a good place for one to state those opinions in such a way that it can not foster an appropriate discussion. Would you go to SE's 11 and 14 boards and go "these aren't real FF games, take my friendly advice and don't play them"? I would hope not. That is basically what he is doing here, and it is if not trolling, then at the least he is unnecessarily flaming the game at an improper place to do so.


    Also, I'm actually not angered in the least. I just have an abrasive attitude, always have. I didn't intend to be rude when I was typing, I just didn't bother to fix it when I proofread it because I didn't really care too much about being polite to him because he was being a bit of a troll. Had he framed his post to foster a discussion rather than attempt to dissuade people from the game, I would have tried a bit harder to not be rude.

  15. #15

    having dabbled in trolling in the past, and having played MOBA's like League of Legends and seen real trolls at work, I have to say that this is a bad attempt at trolling if it is indeed that (his post implies that it might come across as trolling only because he is more familiar with Italian than English), again I personally would target FF7 or KKBBS to really anger people. If he is a troll, I aplogize for arguing it. I hope that my own reply, with my reasons for disliking FF13, was at least more acceptable and contributive to the discussion.





    I am wondering if the OP will return to this thread at all, however. It will be interesting to see what s/he has to say after all this. If s/he returns at all.

  16. #16

    Originally Posted by Jalian


    Hmmm... there are several things here that I agree with from both sides... and things I disagree with.





    1) I give credit to SE for trying to be innovative, undeniably change needs to happen or the series will die. However, this game had a neat idea that was poorly implemented. I haven't played 13-2 yet and am hoping for improvements there, but 13's gameplay revolved around the role shifting and, again while this was a cool idea, it was poorly implemented. Grinding for experience and rewards took too long because the only enemies that were worth fighting were mini bosses (so grinding took way to long, either fighting many weak enemies or fewer long battles against stronger ones). Only the real bosses provided a challenge enough to shift regularly, but even then the shifting was not required often enough. The X button was mashed and auto battle was selected way to frequently.


    Auto-Battle wuht? You need to play this game more mate. You don't just "auto-battle" anything. You don't the game mechanics yet, either. If you played the game solely and competitively, you won't complain about auto-battles and grinding - 'cause they're rather easy in a good player.


    2) the story makes no sense. While the nouns that were created where already pointlessly similar to each other (L'Cie, Cieth, Fal'Cie is just asking to confuse people), the characters insisted that they would NOT fight because it would destroy cocoon, but the only antagonist that was presented for them to fight against was the enemy they didn't want to fight, yet went charging at him anyways instead of running in the opposite direction. The characters where, for the most part, the same whiny teenagers we can see in any anime. The all had their moments, but more often than not the story was more of a drama than FF players are used to. And while this might be another attempt to inovate the series, many older fans and even newer ones find this game in particular unappealing (and it annoys most westerners).


    What do you actually want to have in a Final Fantasy story? A love story?! Those nouns and names are MEANT to be made like that, so people can explore and need understanding more of the story itself. Some people don't even read the Datalog, which is an ingame function so the story can't be confusing at all. Those people just want an easy story that can be relatively shown in cutscenes - which are poor gaming people.


    3) If the sales where higher for this game than any other, consider a few things. It was on multiple consoles. It looked amazing. As much as the gameplay isn't really all that fun, it is flashy and looks good. I can't tell you how many people I know who have bought the game and never beat it, because they saw the opening cutscene and some fights at a friend's house. XIII-2 hasn't been out nearly as long, but the sales are still drastically lower. There is a reason for this. Even if XIII-2 is an improvement, XIII left a bad taste in the mouth of many gamers.


    Sales don't determine the likeness of the game itself. I don't have a PS3 back then, and I'm watching through Youtube. I got a little surprised because it's a lot of different from XII (which is the game I recently played before the XIII), and I'm complaining it's linear. But after some while, I got a demo for the game - and I love it like everything else. You know, people who only don't beat the game are "nostalgic old FF" players. They are comparing the game through the means of the older games. C'mon, I'm sick of that.


    4) Why would anyone cry against Orphan... FFXIII was an easy game compared to some of the older games. Comparing Orphan to Omega weapon makes no sense either, Orphan is a final boss for a story and Omega Weapon is the ultimate lvl 100 boss of a seperate game...


    Easy game? Lvl. 100 boss? Here's a deal - try defeating Adamantoise, Long Gui, Vercingetorix, and ShaoLong Gui's in XIII. I don't give a crap if you don't know how to beat them - relatively because you don't like Paradigm Shifts at all. You need good brains to have a good paradigm. AND THIS GAME is NOT about getting THE HIGHER status or whatever (like FFXIII). In this game, even though you are best in equipment, but your skills and strategy are crap, you don't gain a win.


    Lastly, I want to say that the replies here are more insulting and offensive than the original post. Forums exist to give opinions. He shared that he did not think the game was as good as the older games, but I don't see how that is in any way offensive. Someone even said that you shouldn't complain about a game in the developer's forums... the developers actually WANT to see customer feedback, you know. Good and bad. Clearly, you have never been to a Bioware forum. I realize that, speaking from personal experience on this site, SE fans and members tend to find zero faults in SE games, while other developers have a much more critical fanbase, but the occasional poster who disagrees with the general consensus should not be offensive to you, and is not "making an @$$ of himself". He said he doesn't consider ff13 part of the series. I don't consider the mmo's to be part of the series myself. I don't see how any of what he wrote was offensive, it was just an opinion about a game (I never understood how insulting a game could insult a fan of the game, its not like he is saying YOU ALL STUPID FOR LIKING FF13)


    That's his problem. He doesn't know what "he" is trying to say - he's all mouth and no brain.



    See for yourself.

  17. #17

    to your first point... two of your three characters are on an autobattle system. If a boss has been throughly scanned, the autobattle system is perfectly fine for your main character as well (as far as the story goes). completing the story requires, like all FF games, preperation (which paradgims you will use for which boss/portion of the game) and granted, shifting them when it is necessary takes brains. And you are right, auto-battles and grinding are easy... thats the problem. easy is also boring. I even said that I had fun during some boss fights... but getting to that point wasn't fun. It was tedious.





    what I want in the story... I don't understand why you suggest a love story. FF13 does have a love story in it... so do other FF games. And I never mentioned that anyways... so I don't get why you throw it in my face like it is supposed to be an insult. And you're right, I don't read the datalog. The background information contained in it is "lore" meant for players who are more interested in the history of the world than a player who isn't all that interested (myself). I am more interested in the lore of FF12, Skyrim, and Mass Effect, but even in those cases I don't read the additional information. It is not required to understand the plot that the characters in the game I am currently playing... it is background info. If I am required to read it or never understand the plot... then something was missing from the actual plot. Do you get a "datalog" in a movie or tv show? But I don't see how that justifies the similar nouns. Basho for example pointed out that the point is to stress the similarity between the words... this is a better explanation than telling me to read the datalog. The nouns are still confusing to a new player, which is remedied by the repetition of these nouns until you remember the difference between them... but it has only been a month and I already forget whether the characters are Fal'cie or L'cie, and which of the two categories Barthandalus and Orhpan fall under.





    The people who didn't beat the game aren't nostalgic old ff players. the ones I was referring to were experiencing their first final fantasy game. Many "nostalgic old FF players" actually beat the game. And yes, I do think the older games where better. And it isn't because they were older. I believe in innovation... I even said that. I am extrelemly excited about FFV13. and I hope to get XIII-2 soon because of improvments made to it, I also said that I think 13 had a good system but was implemented poorly because the shifting wasn't required often enough and auto battles kept the gameplay outside of my actual control. The point is, the game is about michromanaging your party's roles more than the actual actions they take... this was the goal of the new system. My problem with it is, not that I don't like the shifting, but that the shifting was not required often enough for me to be in actual control of the game. And I don't play games to not be in control. It was a good idea, but needed refinement. From what i have heard, 13-2 had many improvments in the direction I was hoping for.





    "Easy game? Lvl. 100 boss? Here's a deal - try defeating Adamantoise, Long Gui, Vercingetorix, and ShaoLong Gui's in XIII. I don't give a crap if you don't know how to beat them - relatively because you don't like Paradigm Shifts at all. You need good brains to have a good paradigm. AND THIS GAME is NOT about getting THE HIGHER status or whatever (like FFXIII). In this game, even though you are best in equipment, but your skills and strategy are crap, you don't gain a win."






    I think you mean FFXII since you mentioned that earlier... and I think you mean stats, not status... and lvl 100 boss was a poor choice of words from me. Omega Weapon in FFVIII is not a lvl 100 boss, because FF8 is a scaling game so "endgame boss" is more accurate. I am assuming the bosses you listed are also endgame bosses. My point is, Orphan is NOT an endgame boss. Omega Weapon is. The author of this comment is implying that, while he rages at the difficulty of an endgame boss, the OP rages at a end-story boss who is much easier. It is an insulting comment to the OP. And I appreciate the implication that I don't have a good brain because I don't have a good paradigm. But, like all FF games, XIII is a numbers game where your stats do matter, and the way you prepare for the battle matters... like other ff games. Your paradigm setup is part of your preperation. the cool thing about ff13 is that it is an editable part of you setup, something that you can change to change your strategy, wheras FFXII's preperation depended on the liscence board, which was fun at the start of the game but once you reached the end, every character had every buff so there was no variety in them except for the gear that you gave them (which could be changed in combat if you did need to change your strategy).






    lastly, he does know what he is saying. He posts very coherent flaws he had with the game. And he compares it to other games that he believes where superior. You imply once again that you have a brain and someone else doesn't... a rather rude statement to make. Arguing shouldn't involve insulting your adversary. Even if he is no longer here to defend himself. It also only serves to feed the troll if he is a troll, as I already said, and further confirmation to him that he is getting to you.

  18. #18

    I don't believe we are getting anywhere with this conversation. I understand that everyone has their different viewpoints on the matter, and we each want to show each other the different viewpoints, but as far I can see throughout this thread, we seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. In the end, we all bought FFXIII, and wether we liked it or not is solely up to ourselves, and SE want our feedback, rather negative or positive.


    The only thing that actually ticks me off is right in the title of the thread. Yes, this is a Final Fantasy. No, this is not the best Final Fantasy. Truthfully, I find this one better than VIII or XII, but that is solely opinion. Likewise, I still call them 'Final Fantasy' due to the fact they are indeed part of the chronologic sequence of 'Final Fantasy'. And of course, gameplay is different between each Final Fantasy, but if it wasn't, we would just be playing the same game over and over again, wich would have become boring presumably after IV. In any case, the OP didn't simply comment negatively on the game or criticized it, he was raging on how he bought the game, played through it, and hated it. Rather than giving feedback, he instead just raged and probably talked people out of buying the game who heven't already.


    Honestly, I don't care about what the OP said about the game. I liked XIII. But he did say "I hope you will gain my advice as a friendly tip and NOT as a critical^^," suggesting no one else should buy the game. I know the OP was trying to help, but it rubbed off negatively to me.


    I also didn't like the way he compared FF titles. He stated the classics were better, but I have to dissagree. I played FF1 and thought is was okay. I played FFII and thought it was a bit wonky, but still a good game. I played FFIII and thought it was a bit over my head. I played FFIV, thought it was good, but also thought it was a bit wonky. I still have yet to play V or VI. I played FFVII, thought it was really good, but no in deserving a compilation. I played FFVIII, but never finished it because I got fed up with it. I playedFFIX and thought it was the best FF yet. I played FFX and thought it was fun and great for anyone to start the series. I am not goin to play the MMO FFs. I played FFXII and thought it could have been better. and lastly, I played FFXIII and thought it was an improvement from XII, but still not as good as IX. I personally beleive the later FF were better than the classics. But in the end, I don't like comparing FFs because each are almost entirly different from each other story- and gameplay-wise.


    Of course, this is all entirely my opinion as I played through the series, and I still encourage everyone that is interested to play whichever FF they want to play. I just wished to state that FFXIII, by title, is a Final Fantasy. If someone feels as though the series is going downhill, simply comment on the game on its weakpoints and strong points, send it to SE, and wait for later releases. I'm sure this is what the OP intended, it just didn't seem like it the way s/he intended it to. That is all.

  19. #19

    Originally Posted by Jalian


    I think you mean FFXII since you mentioned that earlier... and I think you mean stats, not status... and lvl 100 boss was a poor choice of words from me. Omega Weapon in FFVIII is not a lvl 100 boss, because FF8 is a scaling game so "endgame boss" is more accurate.







    Actually, the level scaling does not apply to Omega Weapon in FFVIII, no matter what level you are he is ALWAYS level 100, making him the only challenging part of a LLC run.


    EDIT: Unless you were confusing the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon? Ultima is in the deserted research facility in the ocean, Omega is in Ultimecia's castle. Ultima IS scaled to your level, making him super easy to take out with meltdown/phantom train


    Also, Yoshi, you can break a quote up so that your replies are where you want them to be in the quote but not part of the quote box. To end the quoted segment type:
    [ / quote ]
    without the spaces. To start it up again type:
    [ quote ]
    again with no spaces.


    This way you can splice quotes up and not have your replies in the quoted content.

  20. #20

    Originally Posted by Basho


    Originally Posted by Jalian


    I think you mean FFXII since you mentioned that earlier... and I think you mean stats, not status... and lvl 100 boss was a poor choice of words from me. Omega Weapon in FFVIII is not a lvl 100 boss, because FF8 is a scaling game so "endgame boss" is more accurate.







    Actually, the level scaling does not apply to Omega Weapon in FFVIII, no matter what level you are he is ALWAYS level 100, making him the only challenging part of a LLC run.


    EDIT: Unless you were confusing the Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon? Ultima is in the deserted research facility in the ocean, Omega is in Ultimecia's castle. Ultima IS scaled to your level, making him super easy to take out with meltdown/phantom train


    Also, Yoshi, you can break a quote up so that your replies are where you want them to be in the quote but not part of the quote box. To end the quoted segment type:
    [ / quote ]
    without the spaces. To start it up again type:
    [ quote ]
    again with no spaces.


    This way you can splice quotes up and not have your replies in the quoted content.

    Yes, I saw you write that in another thread somewhere and forgot to correct myself here. My point still is, Omega is an end-game boss not an end-story boss like Orphan... the challenge of Ultimecia isn't comparable to Omega either. they are meant to be on a whole different level of challenge to the player.





    EDIT: the strategy guide for FF8 has scaling stats for Omega Weapon every ten levels. Not sure if this was a mistake when they published it or not. I'm curious if you know?

  21. #21

    I do not. I only know that when I defeated him my lowest level playthrough (I never did a lvl 7 game, too much effort to avoid exp) my party's average level was in the 40s, and I'm pretty sure scan told me he was lvl 100. I guess you can edit his level by hacking the game, or use his stats to derive what his other leveled stats could be because the equations for stats were pretty straightforward. Also, strategy guides aren't always right, I have a BradyGames Guide for KHDays, and it's missing important points and has entirely incorrect information in other areas

  22. #22

    Originally Posted by Basho


    I do not. I only know that when I defeated him my lowest level playthrough (I never did a lvl 7 game, too much effort to avoid exp) my party's average level was in the 40s, and I'm pretty sure scan told me he was lvl 100. I guess you can edit his level by hacking the game, or use his stats to derive what his other leveled stats could be because the equations for stats were pretty straightforward. Also, strategy guides aren't always right, I have a BradyGames Guide for KHDays, and it's missing important points and has entirely incorrect information in other areas



    I know it. I buy the guides for the art and my 100% completionist addiction, and I have seen plenty of mistakes (just today noticed that, in the birth by sleep guide, one of the treasure chests had japanese characters labelling the item inside it instead of saying "hi potion").





    I checked to see if it was a reposting of Ultima weapons stats and omegas where actually significantly higher. also the wiki shows his lvl 1 stats (but no other levels).





    Ah, I just found it: It is always at level 100 in the PlayStation version, but can be on any level in the PC version. finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_Weapon...(Final_Fantasy_VIII)





    That explains it. So he is a lvl 100 boss for psx users and an any level end-game boss for pc. Personally never played this on pc... might have to check it out.



  23. #23

    I loved this game. I don't think I can quite overstate how much. It's one of my favorites in the series. The linear nature didn't bother me at all - X's also got the linear map style, and I loved it, too. Actually, I think the way it really pressed you to keep going through the story just helped to enhance the feeling of being hunted. In fact, I kind of liked being able to go straight through the game without worrying about stopping for side quests until chapter 11, because I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I felt like the characters were some of the most human in the series, with their flaws and doubts and secrets. I loved that you had such a disconnected party in the beginning, how they didn't really get along at all, and only managed to overcome that in the course of the hardship they went through.

  24. #24

    Good game I liked it. The only complaint i had was that you had to grind/farm for money. Other than that i enjoyed the game.


    This is some of the good stuff right here....

  25. #25

    This game was good, don't let the trolls get you down if you're iffy on purchasing it. Most of them are older gamers who want nothing more than clones of Final Fantasy IV's, VI's and VII's.





    As Aerith stated, the development of the characters was well paced and they all have that "human" quality to them. Like him/her, I found them splitting up for the first 20 or so hours very realistic and for the best. As far as gameplay, don't let people say "all you have to do is press X to win" (auto battle). That's one of the dumbest things I think people point out in this game. You definately need to take manual control of your character for a lot of the fights if you want to get 5 stars. For instance: Can my Lightning make it in time when Snow hits the ground, to keep the Staggered enemy in the air with some Flamestrikes? Or, should I go for a quick Thunder and follow it up with some Aeros? People who rant about the game are those with the least amount of experience with the battle system. They probably just pressed X without giving it a second thought which is why they complain. Or they couldn't figure out why they weren't gettting a 5-Star rating when they were a full 45 seconds under the Target Time.


    As for the story, it's pretty easy to follow through the game. Confusing with all the Cie words the first hour, but after that, you'll understand it for the most part. I can't think of any story/book/game where I wanted to completely understand everything at the very beginging. If I did, what was the point in playing/reading it? The Datalog is completely underrated by all the haters. It offers a lot of information on just about everything you experience in the game, and definately helps create your mental image of the world and it's story. I didn't read it until post game, which was fine as I understood the story perfectly. But, reading the Datalog gave me so much more, and made me feel even more connected with the story as it offered a little bit more depth to the game itself.


    Anyways, that's my say in the game. I loved it, and still play it, as I'm not 100% done with it. Need to get Treasure Hunter and finish with Tier 3 weapons, then I'll be done.







Page 1 of 5 12345 Last