Page 5 of 5 First First 12345

Thread: Your overall opinion

Your overall opinion

Lol no, this argument will NEVER go away. Because they're now releasing a 3rd GAME, 2nd SEQUEL to this stupid FF13 series.

As if the first two games weren't bad enough. As long as this series keeps pissing me off, I'm going to keep complaining about it. It's like everyone forgot that the original creator, Hironobu Sakaguchi, jumped ship after FFX-2. As if losing the original creator doesn't affect a franchise's quality in any way? Hello? This is reality on the phone: Of course the franchise is going to keep sucking because its going to keep being interpreted by other people who don't get the creator's vision. Just like how the movie Troy (2004) made me LoL when they had Achilles kill Agamemnon in the middle of the Trojan War. THAT NEVER HAPPENED in the book!

Let me make it real simple for you why FF13 is NOT a Final Fantasy and IS an eyecandy game:

1.) Dull gameplay: 1 PC and the rest are bots. Monsters take literally hundreds of strikes to defeat and their HP bars BARELY get reduced even by the end of the game with maxed out stats and gear. The stagger system is neat at first, but becomes irritating once you realize that its actually REQUIRED to exploit it in EVERY SINGLE FIGHT just to beat the game! And on top of that, you are REQUIRED to switch between 3 different Paradigms (classes) during every single fight or you CAN'T win. All of that tedious and unnecessary management wears on your nerves fast. Combat feels stiff and unengaging. It's just mashing the X button at the right time. Characters execute fancy flips and kicks on an ATB timer, but there's almost no input from the player. You can set the game to Auto-Battle and then even your PC becomes a bot. In fact, I use the Auto-Battle feature a lot because it's actually significantly faster than entering commands with the controller. It's like the game is playing itself! I think that the most important aspect of any game is the gameplay. And if you're not ACTIVELY PLAYING, then it's not even a game anymore. It's an interactive storybook.

The entire game is a linear and synthetic experience. Nothing about it feels real. There are no interactable NPCs (unless you count the handfull of Snow's group). There's no towns or stores to explore and buy things from. Everything is sold electronically through a floating save point. 30 hours of tutorial is annoying and makes you feel like you still haven't started the game yet. There are no dungeons anymore and no minigames. Well, unless you count the gauntlet challenge sidequest near the end of the game, but even that was short and extremely repetitive. You can only walk on one path through one endless hallway (at least until the VERY end of the game). All of the monsters are pre-programmed and sitting there waiting for you... there's no random encounters. Nothing about this game is random in the slightest. Everything is fixed and calculated down to the smallest particle. Problem is, that's not realistic. Gamers can't relate to a fakey, perfect world where nothing ever goes wrong. Life is full of entropy and unpredictability. Knowing that everything is pre-ordained and is going to happen in a certain order is just boring to the degree that there's no point in even playing the game. Because you don't feel like you've accomplished anything.

Upgrading equipment is pointless. Your starting weapons are just as powerful as any of the ones you can find, with VERY minor stat differences. And any weapon can be upgraded to the ultimate version, so there's no reason to find or buy anything. None of the accessories are required for completing the game, they just make the boss fights SLIGHTLY easier. Upgrading itself is dull. It's just grinding tons and tons of items from monsters, because they don't drop gil anymore (so idiotic...) and selling them for cash. It's just repeatedly exploiting gameplay elements for hours on end instead of actually playing through the game and enjoying it while you upgrade weapons.

The leveling system is utterly boring as well. Again, you just hold the X button to advance your character until the CP runs out. And every single character is pre-built into certain classes that you can't change. Their advancement is artificially capped at each point in the story to prevent you from becoming too powerful during the boss fights. It doesn't even have the freedom and complexity of choosing your own bonuses that you had in FFX. At least in that game, yeah things were linear, but you had SOME control over customizing your abilities and when you earned them. Here, everything is literally pre-ordained by the developers to the point that its LoL ridiculous. It's so ironic and funny that I honestly think that they did this on purpose just to fit the theme of the game: You can't change your own fate... everything is pre-ordained. There's no choice in your leveling, class, gear, party composition, conversations with other characters, where you want to go, or even how you fight your battles. You're overworked... underpaid... and have no control over your own life. And this is what the Fal'Cie keep feeding you throughout the entire game.

2.) Dull story and characters: The story makes NO sense. Yes, I listened to every line of bland dialogue and read every single word of datalog in this entire game, and I STILL didn't understand the story until the very end.
    Pretty standard stuff, right? But the story is told in such an incoherent, backwards manner that its impossible for average people to understand. Characters don't act like real human beings. Entire settings are never explained. Background info is all buried within datalogs that you unlock by completing dozens of sidequests at the end. The protagonists never collect any clues, hell they barely even deal out exposition during the cutscenes. There is so much small talk and combat in cutscenes that its ridiculous. The villain never makes his motives or goals clear. The characters are never given a clear goal to follow, they just split up and wander around interpreting the plot however they feel like. When they FINALLY get something concrete to do, its near the very end of the game and its for reasons we either don't understand or care nothing about. We never see HOW Cocoon suffers, we never learn how its people think, we never see any of Pulse's backstory or why the two worlds hate each other. It's all TOLD to us through boring dialogue and stupid datalogs that nobody wants to read. We want to SEE how this stuff happened through a visual medium of storytelling. It's actually an amazing experience to sit through. How did they write something THIS bad? You have to TRY to do this poorly. I'm pretty sure they even did it on purpose just to totally alienate the fans.

I don't care about any of these characters. Not even Lightning (although her design is awesome). She and all the rest are just cardboard cutout eyecandy to me. Why? Well, all voice-acting aside, we never see the most important aspects of these character's backstories:

How did Lightning and Serah live out their childhood after their parents died/abandoned them? How did Lightning eventually come to join the Guardian Corps? Why did she grow up to be as cold and emotionless as she is?

Who was Sazh's wife and how did they fall in love and have baby Dajh? What was Sazh like spending time with his family intact before the events of the game?

How did Snow grow up on the streets of Cocoon and eventually meet his companions? How and why did they form NORA? How did he meet and fall in love with Serah?

What was Hope's life like with his mother and father before the game? How did Hope grow to resent his father and become more attached to his mother?

What was Fang and Vanille's life back on Pulse 600 years ago? What did Oerba look like before it was destroyed? What were the people like there? How did they act? How did they fight their wars? What was their culture like? How did Fang and Vanille get frozen? IMO, this one in particular was the BIGGEST missed opportunity in the entire game's story!

There's SO MUCH we could have learned. We could have actually felt the bond between Lightning and her sister. We could have believed the forced love relationship between Snow and Serah. We could have seen an upbeat and confident Sazh that changed into a cowardly pessimist. We could have grown to like an innocent Hope that went through turmoil to mature from a child into an idealistic young man. We could have seen exactly why Fang and Vanille were so close and actually cared about their fates at the end of the game.

But no... in this reality, we had to be TOLD about these character's backstories instead of actually SEEING and interpreting them for ourselves. We never feel any real emotional connections to these characters because we're never given a way to relate to them. So in the end, we don't care what happens to them. This is why FF13 is so god awful, terrible and doesn't even hold a candle to any of the earlier games. It's all of the gorgeous graphics and music we've come to expect... but with none of the gameplay and storytelling to back it up. It's quite literally the Starwars Prequels of the Final Fantasy franchise.
    Last edited by DarkTiamatZERO; 12th Nov 2013 at 14:12.

Speaking of prequels... I would've rather had a prequel to FF13 because, I thought the ending of FF13 was clear and good enough. I'm not saying that I 'wanted' one. I'm just saying if they had to make another FF13 game, a 'prequel' probably would've been a better idea. But, all of it is really unnecessary anyway. We should just be talking about FF15 and FF16 at this point. Anyway, so continues the ongoing struggles of being a FF Fan. lol

I agree with DarkTiamatZERO, but I'm rly rly attracted to the characters =).
    Items are rly rly expensive in this game and you don't get enough money from battles.
    The art is as always amazing but the gameplay lacks.
    I still don't understand the story until now.... and I have yet to play ff-13 2. < heard its almost the same as ff13 in terms of gameplay.
    I hope ff lightning returns is better =).

Wasn't loving it at first, stopped playing at CH10 because it was all too repetitive...then a mate got me FFXIII2 for Christmas so I started up FFXIII again just to tie up the loose ends...it's still a bit too 'cold' for me and suffers from the confusing story and one dimensional cliche characters that all FF games (and arguably most JRPGS) suffer from...but once you've mastered the combat techniques and the crystarium it's kinda fun to play from that perspective, FF for some reason is always a fun game to level/exp grind in. It's not a great game, but it's not as awful as its made out to be...FFXIII2 looks a lot better though (I've only played the intro bit so far before they get to the meteor crash site)...Serah's already an incredibly annoying cliche 'FF chick' though...whiny, weak and constantly expecting to be rescued...hoping her character might develop a little but not expecting it given Square's approach to female characters in general. Mostly I just wanna finish XIII so I can start XIII2 properly

the difference between a good actor and a bad actor

i know you all treat a japanese game as an anime, but you also treat an english game as an A-movie film

well i don't understand how anyone and everyone can judge the difference between a good actor and a bad actor, whether it's a game, cartoon or film

i love ffxiii series as well, in this game there is one of my 2 all time fav characters, number one being Vivi Orunitia, and number two Oerba Dia Vanille, i just love her carefree character from the outside with a dark secret and a worlds burden on the inside.

Good to see people talking about the games and peoples different opinions.

Personally I didn't enjoy the game; The story was amazing, I loved the characters (Fang and Snow were my favourite), I really liked the environments including the monsters and bosses but I didn't like the combat system and unfortunately the combat system is a big part of the game. I loved the fact that SE tried to up the pace of combat by ditching the turned-based aspect but the combat system they used in 13 made me feel like I had little to no control of my combat decisions and character, it felt like what I did didn't really matter. I felt like although the battles felt far more fluid, the combat had lost depth in a way.

As I say this is my own opinion and other than that I loved the game and what I love even more is the fact that SE is trying to model FF into its own style and not just another turn-based J-RPG (not that the series has ever been just that). It's great news for gamers that there are companies out there like SE who arnt taking the "call of duty" route and releasing a game each year that is, in essence the same thing but newer.

Looking forward to FF15!

Loved it.

Didn't buy it till it was a bargain because of bad reviews and FF friends who told me I wouldn't like it. Also, I was turned off by lack of turn-based battle. I'm one of those "older" gamers…being over 30.

It took a little while for me to warm up to. But after I embraced the battle system, I loved it. I love the character designs (aside from Snow…mostly his hat/hair, haha). I love Lightning. Didn't like Vanille's voice at first, but she wound up as one of my favorite characters. Sazh has a chocofro.

Still wish it had the traditional Prelude and Victory Fanfare in the game…but, Hamauzu wrote some beautiful songs.

The trilogy taken as a whole is one of my favorite Final Fantasy worlds/stories. And I've played them all except XIV. It's not my favorite, but it shares something in common with my favorite (VIII) -- it has garnered a lot of hate. Not from me though, it's a great game, and I plan to replay it after finishing up a few other RPGs.

It's also been my favorite RPG of the generation. And I played most of the way through Lost Odyssey, and The Last Story (both of which I enjoyed, though I haven't finished either), and have limited time into Tales of Vesperia, Xenoblade, and a few others. I just bought Ni No Kuni and Tales of Graces f so haven't played either yet - and won't until I'm finished with Lightning Returns, which will probably be awhile…because I love it.

In short, it's a game that I think is highly misrepresented, subject to a lot of false accusations, and complete bias. Things that can be praised in other RPG reviews are penalized in reference to any XIII game. It's out of control, so even though I love XIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns…I'm glad it's over. Just in hopes that it means less pointless "journalism" aimed solely at mocking XIII, Square-Enix, and Lightning. Sorry to go off on a tangent.

My 2 cents

This topic is titled Your Opinion, So here is mine.

The battle mechanics were good, overall though I did not care for the game. I felt no empathy for most of the characters. Hope in particular annoyed me, as such I found myself avoiding using him. I stopped playing rather early on as neither the story nor the characters held my interest. On the other hand, I have talked to many people who viewed previous FF games as too difficult, who loved the interactive movie concept. FWIW all of these also like the Kingdom Hearts franchise while I do not. I think this was the Final Final Fantasy for me.

Something that generally frustrated me was that people were clearly biased against this game. I loved this game, and it was my first Final Fantasy so i appraoched with an open mind. I loved the story, characters, and the game play. The story was criticized for being confusing, but its silly to criticize it for being confusing as that means that you did not understand it, not everyone. The gameplay was difficult, but fun and sometimes epic. I loved the characters, aside from my mixed feelings toward Hope. The setting was fantastic, and i loved the message of the game. I will admit that I might be a little biased here, but so are the haters of the game. My one complaint is the linearity of the game, but I feel that it isn't relevant enough to warrant hate. I did enjoy the cieth stones on pulse, but they were a bit too late in the game. It might have been a bit wiser to place some similar content a little earlier.

Time for some general series stuff. Since I bought, and beat, the XIIi trilogy, I have started playing other Final Fantasy games. I have beat FF VII, and I am in the middle of VIII and VI. VII is so ridiculously over-rated that it isn't even funny. The fact that it is the standard for the series is a massive joke. Don't get me wrong, It's a great game. But the VII fans have corrupted their perception of the game to the point that they will never be satisfied. But i'll probably put some actual criticisms of the game itself on the VII page. Any other final fantasy game I should play next?

I loved this game! I played on 360 + pc but the trouble is the performance... i'm getting 30fps when playing this game on my gtx 750ti....
    I really hope to see some improvements done with LR. But i don't think they'll give dlc free... properly they will but who knows?

I know that many people consider FF XIII the worst part, but I disagree with them. Yes, the game is pretty linear, combat system...well it's not that bad, but sometimes(especially during boss battles) it could be overfast, but like the story,characters... some of the previous FF games were a bit childlish, but that one has more serious,even depressing atmosphere- I think that's the reason I liked it.

I really LOVE the Story of the whole trilogy, including the characters, the settings etc.
    But I have one serious question, one that didn't even get answered in XIII-3. What exactly is the relationship between Hope and Vanille? I saw many opinions in a few forums (A lot different opinions). Those two characters showed so much hints, that they liked each other very much and I could really imagine those two as a couple, but those clear hints are sadly everything that the game offered in this direction, maybe I'm just interpreting too much, but there was never something that would invalidate such a relationship between them just the opposite (correct me if I'm wrong here). I even searched for a official Statement from SE for this (ridiculous, I know), but I found nothing and it kinda annoys me to have those questions after a whole trilogy, don't understand me wrong, this was just the most important question for me, there are some other little but ,,interesting" things that became forgotten in the main Story, in my opinion. Maybe someone here knows more than I do about this question.
    Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post, but I couldn't find a better one at the moment and sorry for possible grammar mistakes and similar things

I know I'm speaking for a small part of the community but, I just wish I could play them all like the offline games from before (not that I"m requesting that, just being honest). I'm not really a gamer so I never came into the series wanting to challenge other people but rather for a good story. I only play Final Fantasy XIV and I know I'm not particularly good at the game but I do enjoy it every bit as much as the classics like 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 12. It feels like them and the story is multifaceted and engaging, but I have a hard time running the game with my network and honestly even if I didn't I would probably be more of a hindrance than a help for a good long while while I found time to practice playing with my graphics working above 7 Frames per Second. To wrap it all up, your multiplayer games are amazing, both XI and XIV had narratives that I enjoyed and was happy to pay for, but a middle ground between the nostalgia and lighthearted tones of your MMOs and the futuristic stark atmosphere your single player games would be nice. Square Enix does amazing world building but the more rising action, the less time there is to explore the world they built.

Greetings.

I understand that some people don't like FF-13 for some reasons, but I really can't understand why some of them HATE it.

I'm a old gamer, I'm 32 years old. I've played FF series since FF-8, and I've a special care for FF-8 and FF-9, FF-10 and 10-2 were good to me, but nothing so much special, FF-11 I don't played, FF-12 was a piece of junk, and because of my hate for FF-12 I was afraid FF-13 would be another trash. But then, I simply LOVED it.

The game is linear? Yes it is, but to me this is not a reason to HATE the game. I loved every character, specially Lightning, I loved the paradigm battle system, and the plot really involved me, specially in 13-2 and 13-3 (LR). FF-13 saga becomes to me the best FF ever.

Originally Posted by SKape4
    I really LOVE the Story of the whole trilogy, including the characters, the settings etc.
    But I have one serious question, one that didn't even get answered in XIII-3. What exactly is the relationship between Hope and Vanille? I saw many opinions in a few forums (A lot different opinions). Those two characters showed so much hints, that they liked each other very much and I could really imagine those two as a couple, but those clear hints are sadly everything that the game offered in this direction, maybe I'm just interpreting too much, but there was never something that would invalidate such a relationship between them just the opposite (correct me if I'm wrong here). I even searched for a official Statement from SE for this (ridiculous, I know), but I found nothing and it kinda annoys me to have those questions after a whole trilogy, don't understand me wrong, this was just the most important question for me, there are some other little but ,,interesting" things that became forgotten in the main Story, in my opinion. Maybe someone here knows more than I do about this question.
    Sorry if this isn't the right thread for this post, but I couldn't find a better one at the moment and sorry for possible grammar mistakes and similar things
    I believe it is only empathy. Vanille was the one who was together with Hope since he lost his mom, he was extremelly fragile at that moment (emotional), and Vanille is a very patient and benevolent person, she "babysitted" him. Lightning had not that same patience, she begins to admire him only after he becomes more "mature" during the development of the events.

I also believe them could to become a couple, if they had time to convive more, but in the end of the game Vanille did not leave the crystall, and they don't encounter nevermore.

I'll make it short. I liked FF XIII. Really liked it. Story, characters...it was awesome. But sequels... I still have doubts whether The Lightning Returns was really needed.

Originally Posted by joswilliams85
    I'll make it short. I liked FF XIII. Really liked it. Story, characters...it was awesome. But sequels... I still have doubts whether The Lightning Returns was really needed.
    Of course it was. The 13-2 had a very unfair ending, and LR came to give the characters a good ending, Toriyama said exactly that. Actually the ending went not the best I had imagined, but it was good, at least.

But regardless the good ending, I loved to play FF 13 again, to me, how more FF 13 titles we may have, better, I wished even a LR-2, with Lightning as the savior of the Earth. It seems all other characters rebirth/reincarnate, only Lightning not. Thus it seems she becomes the new guardian of the new world. I would like to see a sequel for this.

Page 5 of 5 First First 12345