Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Why have there been no new turn based/ATB final fantasy game since FFX?

Why have there been no new turn based/ATB final fantasy game since FFX?

Why have there been no new turn based/ATB final fantasy game since FFX?

Nobody wants these mediocre XIII series games since they suck so bad. Square Soft made some of the best games ever made. Not sure exactly who is to blame for the downfall of quality since Square.

Why are there no new turn based Final Fantasies? Those have the best combat out of all video game genres. All I really want are new fantastic Final Fantasy games that have the traditional style, traditional elements and traditional Final Fantasy formula.

Final Fantasy was a HUGE franchise, and one of the major reasons why the brand got so popular is because of the turn based ATB battles and customization and control over your party, controllable airship/vehicles, world map, minigames, etc. Why the hell would anyone want to change a winning formula and try to fix what isn't broken?...

Well, now the Final Fantasy series is broken. Question is, is the Final Fantasy franchise broken beyond repair? Why are Square Enix against turn based ATB? Is it because that is what fans really want, and so Square Enix wants to hurt fans and troll them? Bring back the turn based Final Fantasy, that is what made the franchise to begin with, like...WHAT ARE YOU DOING?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While I agree that XIII is not better than many of Square's previous games, ATB exists in XIII and XIII-2. You wait for it to fill up before you can attack. The game gives you the choice to input commands manually and select the targets too, which in many cases is more useful than using auto battle. I personally enjoyed the new system, and I don't think that it's XIII's main problem. They also made a classic-style Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy Dimensions for smart devices, it has ATB. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years also has it. Have you played Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for Nintendo DS? That game has a turn-based system. So in fact, ATB and turn-based were used in some of the recent Final Fantasy games. They try to make new combat systems for every main FF game, this has been the case since FF10.

one thing i really agree on you is the freaking airships... they only make it like a portal to another place... It makes me not excited anymore when getting an airship... Its just like "an airship yay"... before when getting an airship I was like "WOOOOWW Awesome.... I'll travel everywhere before continuing on the story..."

I think squareenix keep on their must-have on FF titles is ATBs.. They just modified it. That's what I think... but the airship is just a let down

Sorry but ATB is just used alot of times Everytme in rpgs Square Enix tried a different approach than the usual it´s sucked!.

Originally Posted by Chrono Cross

While I agree that XIII is not better than many of Square's previous games, ATB exists in XIII and XIII-2. You wait for it to fill up before you can attack. The game gives you the choice to input commands manually and select the targets too, which in many cases is more useful than using auto battle. I personally enjoyed the new system, and I don't think that it's XIII's main problem. They also made a classic-style Final Fantasy game called Final Fantasy Dimensions for smart devices, it has ATB. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years also has it. Have you played Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light for Nintendo DS? That game has a turn-based system. So in fact, ATB and turn-based were used in some of the recent Final Fantasy games. They try to make new combat systems for every main FF game, this has been the case since FF10.

ATB may exist in XIII and XIII-2 but you do not get to control your party members, which is HORRIBLE!

I tried inputting the commands manually in XIII and the battle system still sucked. Still can't control other party members that way.

No way I'm going to play a cellphone game. Also, I bet it sucks. (I want something like FF7-FF10, but less linear than 10)

Squeenix should have never tried to fix something that wasn't broke, since now the Final Fantasy series is broke.

PS: Not sure how in the world it is possible for anyone to like the sucky boring combat system of the XIII series.

i kinda miss ATB system in the games and the newer games kinda of give a dull feeling i thinking about doning a FF6,9 and 12 playthoguh and maybe tactcis

Originally Posted by imported_neuropunk

ATB may exist in XIII and XIII-2 but you do not get to control your party members, which is HORRIBLE!

I tried inputting the commands manually in XIII and the battle system still sucked. Still can't control other party members that way.

No way I'm going to play a cellphone game. Also, I bet it sucks. (I want something like FF7-FF10, but less linear than 10)

Squeenix should have never tried to fix something that wasn't broke, since now the Final Fantasy series is broke.

FFXIII took the gestalt system from FFXII which everyone seemed to like and built the combit system around that in FFXIII. It results in battles that move very fast, with the player adjusting the roles of the party as the battle progresses. It works well. By the late stages of any FF game you are mashing the same buttons over and over when encountering random accounters. All in all, it's no surprise that SE adobted this approach.

As for what you want (on a smart phone), sounds like FFX-2.

Actually ATB For Me IS i control everybody! nothing of Just keep watching everybody working solo in my PARTY,MY side!.

I know things have changed in the series because, the people of SE have said they wanted to keep challenging themselves. That's awesome that they want to better themselves. I respect them for that. If that's the 'real' reason. Anyway, I just wish they'd experiment with something other than the FF series first. Then, if there's an idea that becomes popular and looks like it might fit into the series, they can make the 'addition'.

The FF series is a series that SE needed to be very careful with. They haven't done that. They've gone up and down, left and right, over here, over there, and anywhere except the direction a lot of us had hoped they'd continue to go in. The series was growing and progressing very well. Then, it appeared that certain individuals in the company wanted to make bigger names for themselves, so they came up with this whole "Change" and "Challenging themselves" thing in an attempt to reach that goal.

I believe that before the FF series can get back to "Juggernaught" status, the company of SE needs to get back to it first. Whether it's remakes or bringing back the "Expansive Worlds", they need to find a way to "supply" what's demanded. There's a nice "Challenge" for them. Although, they are bringing FF10 and FF10-2 back, and that Bravely Default: Flying Fairy game over to NA. That is a good start.

Oh yea, I miss the "turn-based" style as well. Sorry about the rant. The FF series means a lot to me. So, sometimes I can't help it. lol

Things are also changing because gaming paradigms themselves have changed. I don't want to say that people who are fans of "traditional" JRPGs like the old Final Fantasies are in the minority, but take a look around at what's coming out these days... and where.

Since I can't decide what exactly to type, I'll say this: I'm perfectly fine with FF as it is right now.

Airships can suck my morning commute.

Why not make a Turn Based Final Fantasy game again?. And not these Action/Western RPG's.

i like seeing this love for 'turn-based' rpgs ¦)

i think S/E changed the major FF games' battle system all for the critics who collectively ***** when a series doesn't change enough. they were (way back then) always slagging on turn-based games. they ***** about games being 'too Japanese' and writing crap like ''with a more Western approach, the game could have been a huge success. but when you put stale 80s mechanics in a next-gen game, all you get is mediocre.'' unfortunately it's true.

in the end, i think S/E caved for. a higher metacritic score

(sorry for the wonky punctuation. i'm using a vita ¦)

i agree...i miss the good ol days of turn-based games...im an old school gamer and fell in love with the 1st ff on the original nes and have been hooked ever since ( cant stand the crystal chronicles game that came out for gamecube lol )

i think they wanted something new which is why they did what they did, it gives more action to combat and all, makes you think on the fly, but you can do the same thing with turn-based combat, just up the combat speed...so i just went and downloaded all the ff's from psn so i can satisfy my turn-base combat jones lmao, but yeah i do agree i wish they would go back to some good ol turn-based combat stuff for the series, itll give a sense of nostalgia for us old school gamers lol

Originally Posted by imported_chris
    i agree...i miss the good ol days of turn-based games...im an old school gamer and fell in love with the 1st ff on the original nes and have been hooked ever since ( cant stand the crystal chronicles game that came out for gamecube lol )

i think they wanted something new which is why they did what they did, it gives more action to combat and all, makes you think on the fly, but you can do the same thing with turn-based combat, just up the combat speed...so i just went and downloaded all the ff's from psn so i can satisfy my turn-base combat jones lmao, but yeah i do agree i wish they would go back to some good ol turn-based combat stuff for the series, itll give a sense of nostalgia for us old school gamers lol
    I don't care what they are doing, as long as FF 14 & 15 comes out on PS4 and be kick (fill in the blank) games, i'm happy!!!

P.S. REMAKE FF7 (EXCLUSIVELY) FOR PS4 ALREADY!!!! DO THAT & YOU CAN NAME YOUR PRICE WITH ME AND I'LL PAY IT WITHOUT ASECOND THOUGHT!!!! OH AND I FORGOT ABOUT VALKYRIE PROFILE!!!! XD

I just hope that when Fabula Nova Crystallis ends, SE will award our patience by not making a remake on FFVII, but by taking that concept and giving us a wonderful FF title we can all enjoy and love once again.

Of course if they remake FFVII from scratch into a PS4 title using all the resources available now ... I'd buy it without thinking it twice.

Just gotta think on your feet lol.

I'm a turn-based nerd, I guess. I really like anything pre-FF10. I know FF10 was turn-based. And the game was pretty good. But, I still enjoyed the older game-designs more. Those were the days when it seemed Squaresoft wanted us to not just enjoy the stories, but maybe enjoy the worlds the stories were built into as well. I don't get that feeling anymore. These newer titles just seem so incomplete to me. They aren't bad. They're just so different from the games that got me hooked into the series back in the early '90's. I have to say that this is not the future I'd envisioned for the FF series.

For ATB fans, SquareEnix released Final Fantasy: All The Best on iOS not so long ago.

@Volakai: That's a cruel joke. They released that game for monkeys. And even them got bored after 5 minutes.

I love turn based RPG system, but clearly no market outside of Japan will accept it. Western reviewer bashes anything with menu based system. You will still get turn based battle system on smaller budget titles (most likely handheld games), but not FF, unless the western gamers' taste shift big-time. That said, I loved FFXIII's battle system. It's not a traditional battle system, so if you expect that then you will be disappointed. Instead, if you accept the change and try to see the system for what it is, then you will enjoy it a lot more. I think FFXIII's battle is one of the best battle system ever with incredible depth. It turned FF almost into a strategy game.

XIII was not 100% atb. It combined real time with atb. Unlike FF X and below you are given much less time to choose your action. Yes, your characters will wait if you dont attack first or in some cases your AI will start with an action regardless of what you do. But I have noticed if your characters do wait, Hope as an ai will get antsy and throw his boomerang even if he is waiting for you to choose an action when all of you are Ravangers. I kid you not. Also if a turtle stomps or casts Ultima (gui) you can block it if you do it fast. The game is not going to wait 5 seconds. My point is that you dont necessarily get a turn if you dont act fast enough. In other games, you could defend others but even if it an enemy cast death, only 1 dies and you could have enough time to phoenix down the dead person(unless the final boss had all of you down to 1 hp and turn you into a frog. If a Gui stomps, cast ultima, casts quake, and blows in your face all in its turn, you have very little time for you to change to Tortise paradigm. Most likely it will only do 2 of its actions. But if caught off guard and you switched to tri disaster thinking its all over, and you see hes going to blow in your face, its NOT going to wait for you.

who agrees with me when I say XIIIs paradigm system gives you less time than the standard turn based atb system? Yes in FF IV enemies will act regardless; however, you are generally given quite an opening for healing after taken a huge hit.

Here is another situation. Im going to bring up an example of 3 wolves and a king behenouth, which is common on Pulse. Even if they attack first (most of the time) and your menu lets you select an action , if you dont get rid of those wolves because you are just standing there for 5 seconds or in middle of switching , the behenouth wont wait and will gore you again. In other words the game wants fast responses. Its a matter of life and death in xiii.

The best examples of enemies not waiting in xiii are stinking Picachus.
    Last edited by KrelboynekidZidane; 9th Jan 2014 at 02:33.

I see many complaints about XIII's ATB system being action based--where enemies and allies moved on their own--but in VII the enemies attack on their own too, if you wait. So it's the same. And, in VII the ATB bar moved too fast to allow you to go through some of the complex actions available to you--like going through the Enemy Skill materia, or using a specific magic. It's too fast ALREADY. XIII made it simpler by giving the auto-attack option, which is really necessary. I won't say removing ally control was a good thing, but I personally found it too slow to use effectively in VII--the battles moved too fast, the enemies would attack too quickly.

Thumbs Down

Originally Posted by member_10090130
    For ATB fans, SquareEnix released Final Fantasy: All The Best on iOS not so long ago.
    How dare you.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last