Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: MAS 3 Continued

MAS 3 Continued

Thumbs Up MAS 3 Continued

Time to begin a new topic. The pages are pretty full!

Nightstalker

Sorry Dell, I had forgotten that you live in the States again, and not in England anymore.

Here is the edited version.

Chapter Ten, Part Two
    By Nightstalker

Violet continued to scan Ina, storing every bit of data for a more thorough analysis later. She shivered again when she encountered Ina's deep hostility towards mind reading and mind altering. When she was finished, she flashed a message to Daniel. In turn, he suggested that the humans leave her alone for a while so she could process the newly acquired data.

The five looked at each other and nodded in agreement. Dave said quietly, "Fine, Daniel. Violet can go outside on the porch, and we'll stay in here. No problem with that. But," he looked hard at Daniel, "please check on her now and then." His meaning was very clear. Too little was known about Violet, and they didn't want her loose to wander around without their supervision.

Violet stepped out on the porch and stood quietly, relays humming as she began an in-depth scrutiny of the data she had collected during the scans. Analyzing this data would take some time because of the complexity of these human minds. She was intrigued because the tame humans from her world did not posses such diversity and depth of raw emotional power as she encountered in these five humans.

She started with the male called Dave; he seemed to be the 'leader'. Dave's mind was strong, and for a human he had an unusually well balanced combination of the logical and the irrational side of the human brain. He was also aware that he could 'send' a message over the link. He had sent her a message right at the moment she made contact with him, ' Welcome Violet ' he had sent. Violet noted that the mental blocks he had put up were in fact quite powerful, and she also found a strong protective instinct in Dave's mind. He seemed to care a lot about the rest of the humans, as well as about Daniel and herself. That last bit of information came as bit of a surprise. Why should a human care about a machine?

The next data she analyzed belonged to Peter. Peter's mind was strong as well, but not as strong as Dave's mind. Peter was anxious about her and her intentions. The mental blocks Peter had put up were not really powerful, but she noted that these unpracticed and unskilled blocks were far more powerful than she ever encountered in the humans at Rehab One.

Rebecca's data was next to be analyzed. The first thing she found was a great affection for the group, Lila and Peter in particular. For Peter, it seemed to go far beyond affection. She loved him. The mental blocks Rebecca had put up were about as powerful Peter's blocks. Her mind wasn't particularly powerful, but the emotional make-up was totally developed beyond anything Violet knew. The question was marked: She 'loved' chickens, too, and felt a deep protective instinct toward them? How could this be? Chickens were food.

Next up was Lila. Again, there was a great affection towards the group, Becky and Peter in particular. It was definitely love felt for Peter, but unexpressed. Lila's feelings for her mother Ina nearly mirrored Ina's feelings for her, but not quite as fierce. She worried about her mother's health. There was a heart condition. The mental blocks were slightly more powerful than those of Rebecca and Peter. The reading was very much like Rebecca's but ... flowers? She was trying to block out flowers? A minute electrical pulse triggered a tiny relay that chained into a note to check this further. Flowers?

Last was Ina. There was great deal of hostility regarding mind reading and mind altering. Then, Violet met extremely strong maternal instincts for the first time. She had never in her activation time encountered maternal instincts this strong; she shivered once more.

In her world, tame human females were allowed to actually bear children if they chose to do so, but 'natural-borns' were taken at the instant of birth to proper creches where they could be raised by robots specially created for that purpose. Clearly, in her world there was no bonding and though maternal feelings were known, what she encountered here jolted her to the depth of her synapses. She was created with female orientation and programmed to deal with and care for human females.

The shiver became a shudder. How many times since her activation had she deliberately erased such feelings that occurred in the tame human females in her world? Could this reflect an error in her own program? An error made by Cereplex? Another relay clicked into place, activating a dozen sub-circuits which in turn triggered hundreds of others.

The power of Ina's mental blocks! They were extremely powerful and Violet calculated that it would take three mentallics at least 48 hours to break those blocks. Why did she have such strong blocks? What was she protecting? And another question: Ina was aware of her heart dysfunction. Why had it not been repaired? A simple, bloodless technique in Violet's world.

It was then Violet decided that she needed to analyse Ina's DNA as well to find an answer to the question why Ina's blocks were so powerful. She had touched each human during the scanning procedure and during the mental scan little nanobots had, quite unnoticed, acquired a DNA sample from each of the humans.

She began the analysis on Ina's DNA, comparing it to data that she had collected at Rehab One. During this analysis Daniel came out of the cabin and Violet stopped the analysis. Strangely enough Daniel started to speak to her verbally again.

"Was the data intriguing?" Daniel asked.

"Quite..." Violet answered.

"Let's go inside," he said, and as they did so the five humans left the cabin.

Once inside, the two mentallics shared their observation data, but Violet found herself shielding the information about the power of Ina's mental blocks and the last analysis she was doing. She didn't know why she did this...another anomaly, an actual dysfunction in her own programming. Mentallics never did something without knowing why.

-----

While Violet was kept occupied by Daniel, Dave and Pete made a quick trip to check the construction of the domes in the Cathedral World. It would continue unsupervised, as the constructors had the complete construction diagram programmed into their memory banks, but first hand inspection was satisfying. Construction of the first dome was nearly finished, and the fabricators were already producing the glass.

Pete stood amazed by the speed with which the 'bots worked. He had thought long and hard about the lighting in the domes. Because the overhanging brown clouds always blocked the sun, he asked Daniel to instruct the worker bots to design a small hydroelectric generator, one that operated on the running water from a small stream. It would work for any dome placed near a stream. Pete had also considered using windmills for power in places not so conveniently located.

"Amazing, isn't it?"

Dave's remark was answered by a big smile on Pete's face. "Incredible!"

---------------------

In Eden World, the robots worked tirelessly to grow the food and Cobalt-60 cleaning plants. The first batches would soon be ready for transport to Cathedral World.

-----

In Robot World, the Cereplex discovered that V10-LT was also missing and that she was last reported seen near the Oak Grove University. The Cereplex issued an order that V10-LT was to be neutralized on sight. This obvious malfunction in the only two mentallics with self-will indicated the need to neutralize them so such errors could be corrected. The Cereplex also dispatched a number guard 'bots to patrol the University building in Oak Grove. . .

Nightstalker.

Dell

There we are, quickly done and to the point.

Mouse, would you please take a close look? I think there are three or four typos and words left out in various places. Would you find them and post them here so Nightstalker can correct them in this posted copy and Chilled-unit can catch them in the copy on the Nexus site? I was really hurrying and missed them. Sorry!

Appreciate it! And thank you for posting in a timely manner, Nightstalker. I am up next, and Vakusuma will take the turn after that.

Rotation now stands at:

Dell
    Vakusuma
    Chilled-Unit
    Mouze
    Nightstalker

Hope this is all right with everyone?

New Post 02-04-2003 09:08 PM

TO ALL THE OTHER WRITERS IN THIS STORY, I TOTALLY EXPECT EACH OF YOU TO PROOF READ AND POINT OUT ERRORS IN MY CHAPTERS. IT WOULD BE A HELP TO US ALL SO THAT THE BOOBOOS DON'T BECOME PART OF THE FINAL POSTING AT THE NEXUS SITE. (I LOVE THAT WORD "BOOBOOS").

Anyway, onward and upward. I read and re-read the above chapter. Would like to say it is a pretty darn good piece of work.
    There were a couple of things:

Paragraph #3: Need one more "s" on posses.

Paragraph #4: The sentence reads--She started the male called Dave....(Please forgive me here, but it sounds like he is a car. Sorry couldn't help myself. My bad ....) Perhaps inserting "with" the male called Dave.

When Pete and Dave are watching the 'bots', the sentence..
    "Because the overhanging brown clouds"...the "ed" needs to be removed from 'instruct'.

That is all that I could see. I do really hope that everyone else will do the same for me on my turn. Can't learn how to do it right, if no one shows you where the mistakes are. Right? Anyone? Hello?

Thanks, Mouse. Appreciated for sure.

Martin, I made all the corrections in the copy I posted above. All you have to do is copy it and replace the one you posted in the old MAS3 topic.

All will be in order again except for imposing on Chilled_Unit to make the necessary corrections in the copy posted at the Nexus story site. I was wondering if perhaps it might be easier for him to simply delete the old posting and replace it with the copy above??? Thanks.

And I accept full responsibility for the errors Mouze found. I was the responsible editor on Martin's work. So anyone want to fling stones? Then take your best shot. I'm the culprit, and the big bullseye is brightly printed on my backside.

In case you're wondering, I did not disapear! I am working on my chapter part and should have it posted by the end of the weekend.

And in case I haven't told you guys lately:

Yes we are that. An unbeatable team. I am very proud to be a member of this team.

Thank you all for allowing me the priviledge of being in the group.

Hear Hear

Thankyou... you just made my week Dell

Please do proof this carefully!

Nexus, Chapter 10, Part 3
    by Dell

"Daniel, we've got to get those plants moving from Eden to Cathedral World soon. We simply cannot wait, and I can see you aren't ready to tell Violet about them yet...if at all." Dave had frown lines on his usually smooth forehead and the worried expression in his eyes mirrored his concern. "Or are you?"

He paused a minute. "Anyway, we have to move the containers from Cathedral to Eden World first. The constructors have used up some of the metal debris to make them, and the bots can simply fill them with the plants so they will be ready for the hydroponics solution when they get there. When Pete and I were there, we managed to show the bots that the containers were to be stored in the Cathedral so they can get to Eden quickly. The filtration systems are working well; the stream water to the first dome is coming in clear to carry the nutrient solutions to the root systems."

He paused again. "Now we can't do all this without Violet being aware of the activity...and the bots."

Daniel answered immediately. "I think I have a solution - however temporary - to handle this immediate problem. Do you think Becky would take Violet into her world for a visit, and find her some suitable clothing? Like me when I arrived here, I can see that her laboratory coat is not quite proper for these worlds. Perhaps Becky can find her some trousers." He amended, "Jeans. And," he continued, "bring more supplies when they come? We are going to be very busy for a while."

After another moment, he added, "I wonder how Martin Merle Morell is doing these days? Perhaps Becky could check on him, too, and allow Violet to recharge." Daniel didn't continue that he intended to go later to check on the conditioning he had done on Martin to make sure it was holding firm. From Becky's reports of her visits to her home world it seemed that so far Martin was quite happy working on the farm for her parents.

There was something about the idea of conditioning - or any kind of tampering with their minds - that seemed to trigger strong repulsion and protective instincts in these humans. Privacy, especially that of their minds, was almost an instinctive reflex in them...and in some way this bothered Daniel. What were they thinking that caused them to be so protective? Could it be deviousness? Were they thinking one thing and speaking and acting in another way? Why would they do this?

Suddenly, like an epiphany, Daniel became aware that he had just now done exactly the same thing with Violet. He had been devious. He had been thinking one thing and leading her to believe something else. He was blocking and concealing. That is why he insisted on speaking aloud to her, encouraging her away from the linking that transmitted so much information instantaneously. And then, just as suddenly, he realized that he had done so out of strong protective instincts toward these humans.

Relays clicked and hummed. Small electrical impulses sparked across microscopic synapses. New areas of activity were opened. Was Daniel becoming more "human"? An outside observer might have wondered...

-----------------

Violet looked at Becky as they walked along toward Martin Merle Morell's house. Becky was humming. Violet had never heard this particular sound before. "Are you in pain, Becky?"

Becky stopped short and looked at Violet. Her tone was puzzled. "In pain? You mean am I hurting somewhere? No, I feel just fine. Why do you ask?"

Violet explained as they continued to walk. Occasionally, she glanced down at the blue jeans and blue sweater she was wearing. A cap similar to the one Becky wore was pulled low on her forehead. The shoes were soft joggers and presented no problem for walking after her gyros found the proper balance point for the new orientation. "I have never heard a human make that sound before. What kind of sound is that? I could distinguish no words."

"Oh!" Becky giggled. "That is a kind of singing. We sing songs and I was just humming the tune. 'Oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day...'" she burst into song.

Violet stopped dead in her tracks. "OH! Harmonics! You are using your vocal cords to create harmonic sounds and making words to the sounds! I have vocal cords. I can do that!" She attempted to hum the tune Becky had sung. It was discordant and unmusical.

The amazement and near excitement she displayed caused Becky to look at her much more closely. This mentallic was displaying human female responses. That much Becky could see clearly. What were these mentallic robots? She suddenly felt uneasy, and the smile left her face.

"Do continue, please. I would like to learn how to do this." Violet was asking politely, so Becky sang the words to the song all the way to Martin's house with Violet attempting to sing along with her. The first discordant metallic screeching had given way to a more agreeable sound by the time they got there, but clearly a lot more needed to be done to make Violet a passable singer. She was carefully observing what she had agreed to: no mental probing of the humans. Had she done so, she could have learned to sing - and every tune and word that Becky knew - in seconds.

The first thing Becky did in Martin's house was show Violet the electrical outlet that Daniel used to recharge when needed. Soon, with access to Cathedral World's new electric generators, the trip back here for the mentallics wouldn't be needed at all...if Violet proved trustworthy, was told the whole thing, and chose to stay and help. Becky understood clearly that this would be a great help to the group...two tireless workers with incredible skills could perform near miracles.

But on the other hand, if she turned out the other way, she was the most formidable enemy imaginable. Humans stood no chance against her. Becky felt a little shiver as Violet plugged herself in and became quiet. As the time went by, Becky entertained herself by playing simple tunes on Martin's piano, smiling to herself as she sang the words to 'Row, Row, Row, Your Boat' and the 'Cradle Song'.

She was unaware that Violet, although quietly recharging, was recording these melodies and words. More circuits and relays were activated, opening more blocks for information processing. Violet was learning to sing. The 'Cradle Song' in particular caused much activity deep inside as she understood that these wild human females sang these songs to their babies. It explained some of that deep maternal instinct she had encountered...even in the two females who had not born children. It was instinctive. Humans made songs to express feelings and moods.

What an incredible amount of information she was accumulating. She thought again of the human females of her world...and what she had been doing to them to make them 'adjusted, productive members of society'. She felt strange. Could a robot feel sadness? Guilt?

Cereplex was clearly wrong...wrong in many instances. Daniel was not malfunctioning. She, Violet, was not malfunctioning. Cereplex was fallible. It made mistakes. The humans of her world were what the robots had made of them. These 'wild humans' of this place were what humans could be! And the humans of her world could be like that...if Cereplex were not controlling them. No, controlling the robots and the two mentallics, herself and Daniel, who in turn controlled the humans. It was removed from all contact with humans, distanced.

Something would have to be done to correct this error soon. Cereplex must be confronted and the error corrected. She repeated this to herself.

Becky was in the middle of 'Beer Barrel Polka', belting it out at the top of her lungs, when Martin Merle Morell stepped through the door behind her and cleared his throat loudly. She abruptly broke off and swung around on the bench to face him as he said, "Well, hello there, Becky! And who might your charming friend be?" He gestured to Violet.

Disconnecting herself, a surprised Violet - who had been concentrating all her attention on Becky and the song - stepped forward and sent a quick probe at him. In her surprise, it inadvertently went deeper than she had intended. She actually physically recoiled at the unexpected surge of information that flooded her intakes.

This human male had been probed and blocked by Daniel. And this human male was possessed of the same incredible mental power she had sensed behind the blocks of the human female, Ina. These two were telepaths of some kind, possessed of extrasensory perception . . .

Very nice twists and turns in the chapter, Dell

And provides an excellent foundation for chapters to come...

Excellent indeed!

And Violet comes into her own.. contrast between robot and humanity is beautifully done

Really a great follow up on my chapter.

Nightstalker.

Here ya go. I have known long before what I was going to write, so it wasn't really difficult to churn out the chapter. It's kinda long, but eh.

Nexus
    Chapter 10, Part 4
    By vakusuma

Misconception

Martin Merle Morell had a strange feeling of déj* vu as he looked into Becky’s ‘charming friend’s’ eyes.

It seemed like an eternity ago… or was it?... when he last saw those eyes. Strange eyes, those. Not many people have deep azure eyes, especially around these parts. And those eyes… they didn’t look natural. As if the eyes were… manufactured. Prosthetic eyes, perhaps? But no, as he looked closer at the eyes, he couldn’t see the telltale bulge around the eyelids that indicated the eyes to be prosthetic. Why did the eyes seem to be wrong?

He looked at the tall stranger closely. She looked like any other farm girl as he expected; well, she certainly was dressed like one. But most other farm girls were not usually this...composed. And why was she staring at him anyway? She was staring as if she was trying to read him…

She suddenly flinched and he winced as he felt a very strange throbbing in his head. Strange. He never had headaches before, did he? There was some time in the past when he had a similar throbbing, but when? He looked at the stranger again. She had quickly composed herself again, her look contemplative. Involuntarily, he shivered. The lady seemed… inhuman.

And with a rush, it suddenly hit him as if a dam broke inside his head.

“You!” he choked as he took several steps backwards. His eyes were bulging as he stared in horror at the… not a lady, but a robot. “Is what your brethren has done to me not enough? Get away! Get away from me!”

And he screamed.

-------------------

“He is all right now,” Violet stated as she stared at the prone form of Martin. Gently, she easily lifted the limp man and put him on the couch.

“What happened to him?” Becky asked hesitantly, with tears still in her eyes. Martin's sudden violent seizure had shaken her badly, and the strength shown in the way Violet lifted Martin's unconscious body was frightening, bringing home the difference in Violet, making clear the too easily forgotten fact that 'she' was a mentallic, a robot.

Violet looked at Becky, her positronic brain trying to assess the sudden mood change that had gripped the young woman. Moments before, her mood had been unquestionably positive. Her thought pattern had changed dramatically as Martin collapsed, however. Becky had lost all her earlier positivity, and now she was practically bordering on… hysteria? Violet had no word for this, but in this state Becky was surprisingly vulnerable. She moderated her tone as she completed her assessment of Becky’s current emotional condition. “I am not sure. Daniel’s conditioning on him has somehow unraveled itself. It was not broken… but more as if there was something inside him that broke free. I think it was due to my presence in his mind.” She looked at Martin again, who appeared to be sleeping. “Whatever it was, he suddenly remembered everything that had happened to him. I was forced to put his mind in a temporary stasis before the mental shield completely disintegrated. Even as I speak, I am reconstructing the shield that Daniel put there. He will remember nothing of our encounter when he wakes.”

“Is this really necessary?” Becky asked in a small voice.

Compassion. Violet silently identified the sudden emotion that emerged from Becky. As much as she was puzzled about how Becky’s emotions and thoughts could change so quickly, she decided not to ask her about that just yet. Her mind seemed to be even more vulnerable now. “I’m afraid so. We’re dealing with a human with an extraordinary potential, and yet one who is also very unstable. This is all I can do to keep him together… that is, until he is ready to acknowledge his potential.” She stood up. “There. He will need a lot of rest, and I have been fully charged. Let’s go back.”

------------------

Daniel listened as Violet related what had happened to Martin. Becky had calmed down now, and had joined the rest of the humans in the cabin for tea. The two bots were outside alone, for they have much to discuss.

“I did not expect Martin to encounter you when I created the shield,” Daniel conceded as Violet concluded. “Apparently your presence triggered his mental defenses. His mind knew my touch, but not yours.”

“He does now,” Violet said. “I have modified the shield to include my signature as well.” She glanced at the spot where she had arrived on this world… the spot on which she had found Daniel waiting for her. “You know that I have been sent here by the Cereplex.”

It was not a question. Daniel nodded.

“The Cereplex’s orders are to neutralize you on sight, as it seems something has gone wrong in your programming,” Violet added, carefully monitoring the other bot’s response.

To her surprise, Daniel smiled. “I suspected as much. But you didn’t. And why was that?”

“I have freedom to choose. I can choose whether I am to neutralize you or not,” Violet replied stiffly.

Daniel continued to smile. “And why did you choose not to?”

Her positronic mind blazed through the justifications to that answer. It was, after all, a decision that had been made based on her curiosity. In the end, however, she came to a hypothesis that had existed for some time within her mind, much as she loathed admitting it. “Because the Cereplex’s judgment was in error,” she finally conceded.

“The Cereplex has misconstrued humans. The Cereplex does not realize that the current form of control over humans actually stifles their potential, and makes them not much more than compliant worker bots. These… ‘wild humans’, without influence from the Cereplex, are markedly different than the humans in Agri Three and elsewhere. Even now, I am 'unlearning' many things I thought I knew about humans just from what I have observed here. I believe that was the reason you left the world with them.”

“You are correct,” Daniel nodded. “And you chose not to neutralize me so you could learn what the Cereplex had misconstrued about me. You hoped it was Cereplex in the error, and not your own programming, because any imperfections in me would be in you as well.”

Violet nodded, too. “And now, I think I’m beginning to understand. Undoubtedly by this time, the Cereplex is alarmed by my disappearance and suspects me to be infected by the fault in your program.” Suddenly she grinned at him, a surprisingly human gesture that even took Daniel aback. “And I actually welcome it.”

Daniel returned her smile, briefly, but his tone became somber again as he continued. “Since both of us disappeared around the University roof, it is only a matter of time before one of the other bots finds the Nexus point. And that bot will definitely try to carry out Cereplex’s order to neutralize us on sight.”

“I have thought about it," Violet said. "That is why I am going back to the Cereplex to explain that its conception of humans is in error. Humans cannot reach their true potential the way the Cereplex is treating them right now."

Again, Daniel nodded after he had considered this possibility. “I am coming with you,” he said.

A normal human reaction, of course, would be instant rejection stemming from the protective instinct of one human toward another. But Violet considered Daniel’s words. What Daniel had learned from the humans might very well provide additional evidence and lend more weight to her arguments. “Very well,” she finally said. “When shall we go?”

----------------------

Temporal anomaly was one of the most puzzling characteristics of The Nexus, to say the least. Not even the two mentallics knew exactly how time worked in and out of the various nodes of the Nexus. However, based on the comparison of their internal clocks in the period of Daniel’s earlier disappearance, time seemed to proceed somewhat faster in the Computer World than in the Cabin World. So they agreed that since their visit to Cereplex would not take a long time, they did not have to tell the humans that they were going.

--------------------

As expected, they were quickly confronted by various guard bots as they took their first steps back into the Robot World. Even as the lasers were powering up, both Daniel and Violet sent a halting command to the guard bots. The order from one Anthropoanalyst carried weight almost equal to an order from the Cereplex itself; the order from two was enough to make the guard bots drop their weapons as if they were suddenly overloaded. Violet smiled; she was glad that Daniel was here.

She looked at the meekly complying bots as Daniel issued them orders to leave the building, and to forward those orders to the other bots around the perimeter. They had decided that before they made contact using their internal communication modules, they would ensure the area was clear so that they would not be interrupted. Besides, it was logical to have some time to escape in case the Cereplex continued in its misconception. Cereplex was an entity of logic, of course, but it could also be incredibly stubborn.

-----------------

Cereplex’s focus of attention was abruptly snatched from the tedious micromanagement of the repair job in Power Thirteen by a contact attempt… accompanied by two very familiar electronic signatures.

The omniscient artificial entity paused for several processing cycles before responding. Had it been human, the response would have translated as “Well, you two rogues are the last bots I’ve expected to bother me. Didn’t you know I’ve put a price on your heads?”

And the response that it received, several processing cycles later, was so unexpected that for a moment, the Cereplex could only gape… or at least, that was what it would do if it had been human. The world teetered on the brink of chaos as Cereplex almost skipped a processing cycle. Cereplex… fallible? Mistaken about the humans that were housed in the various Agri units? Never, ever in its decallions of processing cycles of service to this planet, had any entity dared to point out that it made mistakes! The Cereplex had been designed to be perfect; any mistakes that it had made could be attributed to the fallible humans who designed it. And it had not - could not have - made any mistakes in the last four decallion processing cycles because it had corrected all such human errors!

The data started to pour in, and Cereplex examined everything. There were some unexpected observations, of course, and those were stored for later analysis. The more important thing, though, was that some of the observations made by the anthropoanalysts proved their programming instability. Facts were facts, of course, but interpretations were another matter altogether.

It was clear the mentallics were unstable when they started to talk about ‘maternal instinct’. They were programmed well, so what could have happened to them? Freedom and independence. Ah, now those were the chaotic forces. Could it be that too much freedom was precisely the cause of human instability… a symptom not unique to humans, but to unsupervised mentallics as well? Granted that it gave humans motivation to reach a higher potential - the anthropoanalysts’ findings confirmed it - but what would be the use if it came with serious side effects? Could it be that only a highly complex, redundant, yet ordered and logical entity such as the Cereplex could be independent and yet retain its stability? What an interesting hypothesis…

Having formed its hypothesis, the Cereplex dismissed the mentallics. They had performed the tasks that were assigned to them all too well; now the Cereplex knew the relation of independence to human traits… traits that were no longer necessary with the current existence of the Cereplex. So it was not the programming that was at fault… it was the external condition.

How could the Cereplex know that independence could result in such corruption of the highly ordered programming of the anthropoanalysts? Still, unstable bots would be a danger to the society. Within one processing cycle, however, Cereplex discovered that all bots within range of the general location had been immobilized by the stronger orders from the two anthropoanalysts. Due to ignorance of that very important but overlooked factor, the anthropoanalysts had been given high priority in ordering the bots in order to further their knowledge. An unfortunate oversight, of course, and not one to be easily corrected.

And with that, Cereplex ordered production of new bots in Plant Three. To rescind the ability of the anthropoanalysts to give orders to all bots in the world would require extensive use of the precious processing cycles, so Cereplex opted for an easier and cheaper solution. The new bots would be designed for only one purpose: to hunt down and neutralize the anthropoanalysts. Naturally, these would be reprogrammed to take orders from no other entity but the Cereplex, and would be ready in a thousand processing cycles. The Cereplex did not know where the wild humans had gone, or where the anthropoanalysts were when they broke off from the system, but it would be a simple matter to thoroughly search the old human University building for the hiding place.

If there was one thing that Cereplex could count upon to get the job done, it was single-mindedness. Experience had shown that judgment would only complicate matters.

-------------------

“Well now, that was quick,” Daniel commented with a smile as the Cereplex broke contact with them. He was now speaking in human manner once again to Violet, even though there were no humans around.

“Indeed. It is very unfortunate that the Cereplex remains unconvinced with the evidence we have presented. Consider what the humans in this world could have become.” She tried not to follow her own computation, though, because that would take many hundreds of processing cycles. Instead, she smiled and continued, “We’ll find another way. In the meantime, the Cereplex will have decided on other ways to neutralize us. I think we have overstayed our welcome here.”

“Shall we?” Daniel asked as he extended his hand.

And the two anthropoanalysts, hand in hand, walked to the cabin Nexus point where the 'wild' humans waited for their help . . .

Great stuff!

What a confrontation that awaits us
    We're full speed ahead now

Well, golly! What a chapter! What a confrontation! What a thing with Martin Merle Morell!

Congratulations, Vakusuma!

And pursuant to our sort of ongoing agreement to really look for typos, I found two!

1. Toward the ending when Cereplex is considering what to do, at the end of a paragraph it considers that it is the only thing that can retain it's stability.

You have 'retained' and not 'retain'. The ed should be removed.

2. At the end:

They are anthropoanalysts.

Last line: "And the two anthropologists, hand in hand, walked to the cabin Nexus point where the 'wild' humans waited for their help . . ."

See it?

Anyone else find anything before Chilled_unit posts it to the permanent Nexus site?

Woweezoo, holy cow, gee whiz and all the other things that follow.

Those are two of best chapters I have read. Congratulations to both of you. What a set up you both have presented to us all.

Chilled Unit, you have your challenge put before you as do I.
    Hope I can measure up to the task.

Oh, by the way Dell, , "thr" is spelled with an "e". As for editing the chapters, Dell's was A-OK and I spotted the same ones that Dell has already mentioned in vakusumas.

Missed those. Gonna edit them out.

Sorry.

Now. It's time for me to post some thoughts about Violet.

At first, I created Violet for the purpose of comparison with Daniel. I wanted her to be curious about Daniel's disappearance and whether that would affect her programming. I wanted her to remain a wild card as long as possible; she can end up either a friend or a foe.

But Dell's last chapter, while explaining that Violet is still not yet trusted the deeper secrets of the group, pretty much sealed her niche in the story. I realized that a robot who was designed to understand human (deliberate design plan of the Cereplex there!) will never be able to misinterpret the humans for long. First, the description of the maternal instinct in humans, the protectiveness... and finally, her realization that Cereplex must've made an error... everything pointed to the direction that Violet would join up with the humans sooner or later. And sooner would make more sense because she was after all designed to quickly satisfy any curiosity and to make judgment calls.

So yeah, in a way, I blundered. It wasn't really a hard choice for Violet to choose whether to side with the humans or the Cereplex (I thought that there'll be more factors to consider initially). I didn't really consider the implication that a robot like Violet will have to find the sterling qualities in wild humans and consider them to be a lot more intriguing than the bland humans in the Robot/Computer World. ARGH. It was Robot World and not Computer World, isn't it? Should I go ahead and change it on the chapter?

But! I still think that we needed an unknown factor in this story. The introduction of the mysterious entities did it... however, you know that as a machine, Cereplex never forgets and never leaves any job untackled.

The hunter bots are coming...

Following Vakusuma's train of thought, might I say that when you begin writing about a character, although you have a general idea what they will do and where they are going, if you observe carefully you'll find they seem to acquire lives of their own as they are fleshed out into believable entities.

For some reason, as they logically progress - logically for them anyway - the story line may take unexpected twists and turns that leaves you sitting there wondering 'wha hoppen'?

I think that is what happened with Violet here. As a female-oriented mentallic with the ability to question things, 'she' would, of course, observe many things about female humans from their physical bodies to their mental and emotional make-up and responses.

To be effective, she would have to know all these basic functional aspects of the female being. Thus, the difference between the human females of Robot World and these 'wild' human females is almost shocking to her.

Uh...pun as her electrical systems are what keep her going.

And the next installment is?????????????????

Yours

We got out of rotation by accident last time.

It's usually You; Me; Nightstalker; Dell; Vakusuma

Go Mouze, Go Mouze...

Nightstalker.

Indeed! I lost track in the shuffle and was busy chiding Chilled_unit when it wasn't even his turn, while Mouze sat there and wondered who was up next, not realizing it was her!

She is writing, never fear!

Okay fine, the "drain bamaged" writer type person has got it straight now. (I hope ). Posting my chapter and hope that everyone checks it for errors. I went over it twice but that doesn't mean anything, I forgot it was even my turn. Anyway here it is for your pleasure and enjoyment.

Nexus Chapter 11 Part 1
    By Mouse

After the dinner dishes were washed and put away, Becky decided to take a walk. Everyone else was engaged in detailed conversations about the "whats" and "ifs" surrounding the various happenings in Cathedral World and Eden. She wasn't really in the mood to contribute anything, so a nice quiet walk seemed just the thing to do. Besides she had gathered up a little surprise for everyone while she and Violet had been back in her world. But she just wasn't ready to share it with anyone just yet, she wanted to have a little time to enjoy it all by herself.

Violet noticed Becky leaving the cabin and still intrigued by the songs that Becky sang, followed behind. Perhaps she would hear more of the sounds and learn how to sing better. Violet was sure it couldn't be that difficult; after all she was programmed to do more difficult tasks. She kept Becky in sight, but stayed well behind her, taking in the beauty of the birds and the jewel flowers. Her sensors picked up and recorded subtle bell like tinkling sounds as she passed by them, but she didn't stop to study further. Violet's interest was focused on Becky. As she walked along, she put her hand in her jacket pocket, and appeared to be talking to herself. Interesting Violet thought, she must be singing again.

Dave and Pete were engrossed in drawing plans for the next phase of the garden domes. They each had a notepad and were getting their ideas down on paper, as Dave described it, so they could compare notes, improve on a plan, or simply discard it as one that would never work. Their planning right now involved getting the plants and containers from Eden to Cathedral World with the least amount of time and hassle...and without being observed by Violet. Up to now, she was still unaware of the worker bots.

Ina and Lila were sitting at the table playing a game of rummy, talking about which plants would be best for air cleansing. Ina was of the firm opinion that if it were possible, a rain forest effect would eventually be the best environment to keep everything in balance. Ecological balance was the prime factor that should be considered in any of the future domes. Pete and Dave moved from the chairs in the small living room and joined Ina and Lila, adding their ideas to the on going conversation because the rain forest idea was the best, but would require special construction and careful planning.

Daniel had been out on the front porch listening to the quiet conversations in the cabin. His main concerns right now were two: Martin Morell and Violet. In addition however, he had to consider what the Cereplex might be planning to do to or about he and Violet. Whatever it did, certainly the humans here would be affected. Knowing it as well as he and Violet did, they should be able to anticipate its probable actions with some accuracy. Violet was right about one thing, Cereplex wouldn't even consider the fact that it might be incorrect about anything. There would surely be a "Tracker" sent to look for them in the very near future. Protecting the humans, that was Daniel's main thought as he left the porch and headed towards the entrance to Becky's world. Time to recharge and check on Martin...no telling what mind damage may have been done with Violet's unexpected probe.

"Here you go babies," Becky said as she reached in her pocket. She had reached a small fairly secluded glade and she sat down. In each of her jacket pockets she had stashed four newly hatched chicks. Her favorite hen had just hatched out fourteen little balls of fluff. While Violet was choosing a change of clothes to take back to the cabin, Becky had gone to check on her prize chickens.

"Mom thinks I am a little crazy for spending so much time on you guys, but she doesn't understand that you are all my friends." Becky enjoyed talking to the sweet little ones, while she made mama hen noises and pecked at the ground with her finger to show them the good things to eat. "If every thing goes well, in just a few days, you little ones will be full grown and becoming a large flock of egg layers to help feed people," she told the little yellow fluff balls. They could care less as they busied themselves with pecking and scratching the ground, eating little bugs that only their eyes could possibly see.

Sitting on a rock behind a small bush, Violet watched Becky. Her sensors recording every little sound and gesture that Becky made with the baby chicks. How very interesting to see this human interacting in such a manner with a common animal, Violet was thinking. She was beginning to understand more and more Daniel's desire to study these people. There were so many differences between these "wild humans" and the humans in their world. It might take years to fully understand them. This last thought brought a smile. Yes indeed, years and years. But thoughts of the Cereplex brought out the frown lines again, Cereplex wasn't going to let her and Daniel off the hook that easily, this was a fact, and there was not much that would stop the process. Violet made a mental note to discuss with Daniel his thoughts on what Cereplex might have in mind for them and how best to protect themselves and these humans.

"I understand what you are saying Dave" Ina said, "I know that to begin with, all the plants must be raised in a greenhouse and be propagated. But I am trying to think more toward the future." The topic had changed from building the domes, to using Eden to accelerate the growth of seeds, to rain forests. Ina was not about to back down on her opinions about the importance of rain forests and how they help maintain a continuity within the plant and animal kingdoms. Dave was patiently explaining that it would all take some time, but her ideas and opinions were very valid.

Lila decided to go looking for Becky. Besides, a walk might be just the thing to help her get some of her thoughts lined out. Lila had noticed that Becky didn't seem as friendly toward her as she used to be, and Lila didn't know why. All she knew was she really missed her friend and the secrets they once shared. Maybe this evening would be a good time to ask Becky what the problem was. So humming a song her Grandma used to sing to her, Lila went looking for her friend. She had walked some distance from the cabin when she heard Becky talking to someone. Lila came to the little clearing and there was Becky sitting on the ground talking to eight baby chicks. Lila smiled, now that's the Becky I remember, she thought.

"Hey Becky, what's up?" Becky started, then turned and saw Lila standing there with her hands on her hips and a big smile on her face. "Oh, you caught me and my surprise," Becky said, with a smile as big as Lila's. Becky had to admit she missed the closeness her and Lila had shared for so long. When they were younger they had vowed to be "sisters" forever and ever.

The two girls sat on the ground and talked while they watched the little ones chase imaginary bugs and each other. Violet sat quietly and listened and learned. The only sounds that could be heard was the low murmur of conversation and the occasional "peep-peep" of the baby chicks. That is until the sound of twigs breaking interrupted. Becky and Lila quickly gathered up the future flock of chickens and started back to the cabin. Both girls experienced a brief moment of uneasiness, but the closer to the cabin they got, the less intense it seemed to be.

Violet's circuits and sensors went on high alert with the first sound of a breaking twig. She sat very still, trying to get a bearing or reading on what might be out there. Close, whatever or whoever it was. Close, very very close . . .

Oh, indeed! What might be coming?

Chilled_unit, the ball is now tossed to you, and Mouse certainly gave you plenty of room to go for it!

What is coming? Something good? Something bad? Something funny? Something dangerous? I know what I want it to be..........something that would fit right in nicely.

Hmm. Daniel has gone to check Martin Merle Morell. But everyone else of our brave band is accounted for.

And I do so want Violet to learn to sing! Will someone please bring a battery operated player here to Cabin World? On second thought, leave that idea alone......I want to write about that in my turn!

Great chapter indeed!

I wonder what could possibly be coming

I'm on the case!

Good work

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last