Thread: BO1 Tips & Gameplay Help Thread

Wise Man Domingo Guest

BO1 Hints and Tips

Okay. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, is how old now? About... seven years as of the upcoming January 1 (New Years Day). But it's still a classic, and it's still around. So, I have created this thread as a guide to newbie fledgling vampires, or people who just want to improve their game.

My strategy guide should be ready for posting (if not completely finished) by the end of Christmas Vacation.

All new hints and tips will be marked with *New!* A tip stays marked as new until the next update.

Hints and Tips:

Almost every dungeon or house contains a treasure or something useful. Explore everywhere.

When given the option to fly to the next dungeon, walk instead. If you fly, you WILL miss valuable power-ups. (The only exception to this rule is Malek's Bastion. You MUST fly to reach it)

When lost, consult the overland map or zoom out. You will be able to find your destination.

When under physical attack from many opponents, use Mist Form. When under magical attack, use the Repel spell.

Stealth is the better part of valor. Use disguise and beguile when among friendly humans and you can walk among them unnoticed, as well as gain some info.

The wolf is more powerful during the full moon. Use it for combat then to gain extra speed and fighting power.

The Spiked Mace is useful for a hungry vamp, as doing a two-hit combo attack stuns the opponent, rendering him helpless and a veritable feast.

The Axes are somewhat difficult to handle properly, but their combos are devastating. Maximum combo attack is a tornado-spin, attacking all sides.

The Soul Reaver is a powerful tool, but consumes magic energy for each opponent. The more powerful the foe, the more energy it drains. But using Energy Bank, then equiping the Reaver not only gives you a minute of veritable invincibility, it makes the final boss look like a giant fanged joke.

Use items and magic strategically. Using Energy Bank when it is unnessecary is a waste- use it when you have no magic energy or when you need a quick boost in power for a spell, or combine with the Soul Reaver (see above).

Control Mind and Spirit Wrack cast a shield over Kain, while allowing you to assume control of your enemies. Use this to save Kain the trouble of getting his hands dirty by using an unwilling hireling to do your dirty work.

The Heart of Darkness is not only a reviving item- it heals you while you are alive as well. And while you are alive, it gives you more blood. So use it when you are near death or need a quick boost in health.

Prestige depends not only on Slayings, Mutilations, and Meals, buit on the number of Secrets you've uncovered as well (There are a total of 100 secrets). If you want to play through the game as a whelp or a bride, then just speed through. If you take the completionist's route, however, you will eventually become Devourer of Worlds.

Miss a vital bit of info or want to hear Kain's ramblings over again? Step on a Vista Point and push Circle to replay it. Want to see an FMV again? That's what the Dark Diary is for.

*New!* Equip new magic the moment you acquire it. Most of the time, the Spell is the key to escaping the dungeon.

Combining weapons and armor effectively could be the difference between victory and defeat. Here are some useful Equipment Combos to use in times of peril:

To Wreak Chaos and Havoc: Chaos Armor+The Axes
    This combo inflicts maximum physical damage, but you can't use spells due to the Axes being two-handed.

For the Ultimate in Undead Protection: Bone Armor+Flame Sword
    This combo will cause weak undead to ignore you, and the stronger ones will fall to the fiery powers of your Flame Sword.

For Meals on Wheels: Flesh Armor+The Axes
    You just focus on being Nosgoth's most accomplished lumberjack, baby, 'cause the Flesh Armor's got the feeding covered. (You'd be surprised how much blood you can get out of a tornado combo!)

For Minimum Life Bar Damage: Wraith Armor+Spiked Mace
    The armor reduces life bar damage and reflects it to the Magic Bar, and the Spiked Mace is useful when you need to recover some lost blood.

To Rack Up the Mutilations: Any Armor+The Soul Reaver
    Okay, it's not really a combo, but every kill with the Reaver counts as a mutilation, and that'll help the Prestige level some.

The Basic Knight in Shining Armor: Iron Armor+Iron Sword
    A well-rounded combo of defense and offense. The Iron Sword is capable of a four-hit combo, and the Iron Armor is the most defensible Armor that doesn't decrease Magic energy.

I'll get back to you with more hints and combos once I try out some new strategies! 'till next we meet,

**Chaos armor + Shield spell + Reaver or Flame Sword** is a good combo too; when an enemy attack you he will take damage cause of the chaos armor and you are protected by the shield
    **And you can even drink their blood when they've (almost) killed themselves.** I think it works vs Moratanius too

**Chaos Armor + Mind control** Overtaken enemy will wear the chaos armor ( you cannot see it but the enemy who attacks you get hit by its owne attacks SO pick a strong a guy w/good defense!!

**Shield spell + Flame sword** Use this spell to be immune to attacks
    specially vs bosses (Malek Dejoule etc) They cant kill you !!
    But you can kill them... and if you run out of magic just use the energy bank

There he is!
    I`ll kill him!
    We once put you down Kain, we can do it again!

hello DMraider

You can get to the heart of darkness shrine by going back to the very beginning of the game and you know those 3 switches that you have to have to actually go past? Well, go there, but turn all the switches on - and then go back to Ustenheim - that door will be open and it will take you to the Heart of Darkness shrine, where you can sacrifice blood for Heart of Darkness, or they'll give you 99 of them if you charm a guy to go in there.

Wolf form is required for the switches because the combination you use to open the door will open the spikes on the floor directly in front of you blocking your path.

O yes i know what you mean!!
    Yesterday i started playing again I resumed from an old save game where i just killed Azomoth at Avernus Cathedral

I have about: 2800 slayings
    730 meals
    1200 Mulitations
    91/100 secrets

How many secrets do you have?

Now im going to kill that Dollmaker !!!!!!!!!!
    And now William the Just !!!!!!!!

Re: hello DMraider

Originally posted by (((Mr.Kittens*_*)))
    You can get to the heart of darkness shrine by going back to the very beginning of the game and you know those 3 switches that you have to have to actually go past? Well, go there, but turn all the switches on - and then go back to Ustenheim - that door will be open and it will take you to the Heart of Darkness shrine, where you can sacrifice blood for Heart of Darkness, or they'll give you 99 of them if you charm a guy to go in there.
    This house in Ushtenheim once belonged to a 'man' by the name of Janos Audron. Perhaps you've heard of him. Use beguile to ask the villagers about it.

Lightbulb

I have decided to combine BO1-area help into this thread as well.

The Oracle's Caves

As a courtesy, please refrain from adding any unrelated discussion to this thread in the future. (Keep it related to tips, tricks and help).

Regards.