Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Mapmaker Size Management

Mapmaker Size Management

Mapmaker Size Management

Found this on the Timesplitters 2 IGN board
    User: beestee

Since i was tired of guessing how big i can make a level, i devised a system that will allow a person to keep track of how much space they are dealing with. Here is what i found:

Important Facts:
    1. There is a 200 tile limit
    2. There is a 20 door limit
    3. There is a 30 window limit

Measuring Space:
    I used the "small open" tile for measurement, where 1 small open tile = 1 unit.

Total mapmaker size = 132 units
    ^VERY IMPORTANT NUMBER^

Now i will run through the comparison of which tile = how many units so that you can determine how you want to go about making your level.

Single Corridor = 2 units
    Corner = 3 units
    Small T (x3) = 2 units
    Small Room = 4 units
    Ramp = 3 units
    T Junction = 7 units
    Double Corridor = 3 units
    Big Room = 9 units
    Double Height Room = 7 units
    Core = 11 units
    Stair Room = 8 units
    Adapter 1 = 3 units
    Adapter 2 = 3 units
    Adapter 3 = 3 units
    Adapter 4 = 8 units
    Large Bridge 1 = 5 units
    Large Bridge 2 = 8 units
    Large Open Low = 3 units
    Large Open = 4 units
    Large Bridge Cross = 5 units
    ALL Bunker Tiles = 5 units
    Large Trench Ramp = 3 units
    Large Trench = 4 units
    Large Ramp = 3 units
    Large Ramp Wide = 4 units
    Large Pit = 7 units
    Extra Large Room = 30 units

It takes 2 units for each NEW ITEM inserted with the exception of turrets which take 10 units. An example of NEW ITEM is powerups. There are 4 types of power up, and to pu all 4 in you would need 8 units. If you only want to put 1 in, you will only need 2 units. Copies of each NEW ITEM do not cost memory as long as they are already existing in the map. Here is a list of limits per item per map:

Turret = 16 per map
    Zones = 4 per map
    Powerup = 12 in any combination per map
    Teleport = 2 of each color per map

Guns, Crates and normal Start Points are only limited by memory: 26 copies per unit

I hope this info will help everone create some killer maps.

A 1x1 tile is about big enough to fit 4 players in snugly.

A tip on making mapmaker levels, use the small t junction when making corridors and anything that would require a 1x1 tile unless you need it to be open on all sides or you need to change up the look of the level a little, the corner and small corridor and double corridor take much more memory. Almost forgot, the large T junction is a memory hog, use only if absolutly necessary.
    Please note theese are not my conclusions yet I have found them very accurate. Hope this helps.

Good work, Zeratul 999. This should prove useful.

Yet no matter what, they do not give you near enough space to create a decent single player mission.

This is interesting, and helpful, i think it should be made sticky.

very nice. i could use it to make a story mission inside my school! i got the layout complete but as soon as i add the weapons, start points, powerups, zones and CTB points, im fresh out. maybe ill make 2 maps: one for multiplayer and one for single player.
    2 Silver
    33 Gold
    31 Platinum

Fave Characters: Undead Priest, Viola, R One-Oh-Seven, Corp Hart, The Cropilite

http://www.staticon.net/hosted_pix/Choronis01.jpg

Hmmmm a mission inside a school, great idea, in my school i'd have a mission where you'll have to escape detention!!! Sounds familiar

Thumbs Up

Very useful info. Agreed ragged_brute, will stickify for a while so that everyone sees it - would be nice if someone could create a TS2 FAQ which can be permanently stuck at top. Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink. How about it chaps and chapesses?

MMM

Thumbs Up

Good Job Zeratul 999! That is really helpful! Still, it probably isn't enough to make all 3 floors of my house

Originally posted by wags232
    Yet no matter what, they do not give you near enough space to create a decent single player mission.
    B.S.: I now have six that I would put up against many of the goldeneye missions.

Thumbs Up Re:B.S

Granted its infuriating when you just need one more bot, or an extra room to make your map perfect and you run out of memory, but its a challenge - anyone ever heard the mother of invention is necessity?

Big Grin

would be nice if someone could create a TS2 FAQ which can be permanently stuck at top. Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink. How about it chaps and chapesses?
    Il do it

This is great info, but I think it misses one big factor in memory consumption ... placing a lot of DIFFERENT tiles.

For example, I don't think you can place one of each tile (excluding the extra large room) even though they only add up to 128 units in this list. For sure I have been able to make much bigger maps by using the same tiles repeatedly instead of always using new ones.

I haven't fully investigated it, but the cost of a new tile can be much more than the "2 units for each NEW ITEM inserted". In fact, it seems like the first tile that you place of any given kind costs about twice as much memory as what is listed above. After that, copies of the tile seem to line-up with the list.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I made the closest possible representation of my house. It's almost perfect, totally awesome.

Originally posted by spanks
    This is great info, but I think it misses one big factor in memory consumption ... placing a lot of DIFFERENT tiles.

For example, I don't think you can place one of each tile (excluding the extra large room) even though they only add up to 128 units in this list.
    I tried to place a copy of every tile when I first tried the mapmaker and if memory serves I had about three of the large tiles and the big room left over. I think you're right (again) Spanks.

If this is true it seems to make the T-junction a bit redundant - unless you make a level with stacks of them I guess...

So it seems there are catches involving using NEW tiles versus re-using already-present tiles, in most cases.

Some tiles are just memory burners though... for example, the 1x3 connectors with one blue side and the rest all red connectors. Those eat memory like nothing else.

Uhuh. They're the only way to join large to small usually though. I end up using loads of them! In any future versions I hope they can get rid of this blue/red thing and just have one type of connector.

Originally posted by deded
    Uhuh. They're the only way to join large to small usually though. I end up using loads of them! In any future versions I hope they can get rid of this blue/red thing and just have one type of connector.
    I rarely use them. The one blue to one red, and the blue long / red short 1x3's are all I normally need.

Except in some special cases, but I'll get into that some other time.

Originally posted by MapMaker Monkey
    would be nice if someone could create a TS2 FAQ which can be permanently stuck at top. Hint hint nudge nudge wink wink. How about it chaps and chapesses?

MMM
    I'll put one up in the ts2 forum right now.

19. great work

Originally posted by wags232
    True. Since memory is a problem I would like an option where one could link maps together. The loadig time wouldn't even bother me. Puting in such an option in TS3 shouldn't be that difficult, yet letting mapmakers run amok.

Originally posted by Little_Devil
    , yet letting mapmakers run amok.
    You allready run amok, mydear! You don't need TS3 to do what you allready master to perfection. LOL!

you da man zeratul that s really help ful

thank you for that. however the only limitation we should have is our limitation (this certainly applies with me as I hate levels that dont have well thought out storys of briefings...

Rolleyes

I hope Free Radical reads this and finally understands that they need a better mapmaker for TS3. It probaly will have one though.

erm....... i dont mean to burst the bubble or anything but everything uses one unit, 2 reasons for this assumption:

1. if you go to the tiles screen, go to the top left tile, then move right and when you get to the end of a line move to the next, if you are observant you will notice that the numbers in brackets go up 1 at a time.

2. when you add a tile to the map it takes the same amount off of the "free" bar no matter what tile you put down.

plus if this statement was true, the core would take up more units than the large room.
    Pie is my friend.....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last