Thread: First Patch Ideas for SOTTR

Smile First Patch Ideas for SOTTR

I dident see a Thread here, hence it was made on the Tomb Raider Forums in which i copy/pasted them to here.

Square Enix Developers, please take a look.

By TRJTA

Remove crushed black shadows (less contrast in image in some areas)
    Improve underwater graphics (looks like Lara swims through air)
    Add splashes when Lara jumps in the water
    Add bubbles when Lara moves underwater
    Tone down bright and obvious climbable walls texture in Hard mode
    Remove vertical scratches on climbable trees in Hard mode
    Add (more) blood when fighting enemies, add blood effect in water
    Improve 3D mud tech (too sensitive right now)
    Add different visual and audio effect for explosions underwater
    Make mud/dirt effect more dynamic instead of applied everywhere at once
    Add more detail to Lara's skin, it looks too smooth and waxy right now
    Make Lara's haircut less big/wide on the front (poofy hair!)
    Bring back a bit more of Lara's arm muscles by default
    Add more hair to *muddy undone hair*, Lara looks almost bald now
    Make Lara look more wet/dripping when she gets out of the water
    NPC facial expressions look quite stiff
    Fix jerky animation transitions
    Slow down animation speed of: sliding, climbing on edge, shimmying
    Make climbing up animation less clumsy > change into a proper pull up animation
    Improve swan dive animation
    Add transition animation to *jumping > hanging on climable wall with axes*
    Make Lara*s hair less stiff, doesn*t move enough
    Fix animation *adjusting hair when climbing out water* > hands go through head
    Stop Lara turning her head towards points of interest in hard mode
    Make Lara's flashlight manually controllable by the player
    Improve human enemy AI (Lara can kill right on front of them)
    Fix enemies teleporting to Lara when finisher is started from further away
    Add option to turn info pop-ups on/off
    Add option to turn HUD and audio prompts for tombs/crypts on/off
    Change proximity in which button prompts are shown, depending on difficulty
    Add photo mode
    Improve audio processing of NPC voices for more realistic voices
    Fix that NPC voices are really loud, even when the NPC*s are quite far away
    Tone down neon bright skill tree colors
    Reduce the size of experience points text.
    Fix glitch where Lara picks up *third axe* in first tomb cutscene

Definitely some of my main concerns are here in this list. Completely agree.

Stop Lara turning her head towards points of interest in hard mode
    It's also just unrealistic and strange when she's running but her head is turned sideways for a long period, or when her head is turning back and forth left and right constantly. Both problems can be seen in the Paititi video. Nobody walks or runs like that. So it needs fixing overall.

Add option to turn info pop-ups on/off
    Add option to turn HUD and audio prompts for tombs/crypts on/off
    Yes. You'd really think they'd have done this when they introduced an Explorer difficulty setting. How they didn't, based on fan reaction to previous games, is beyond me.

Remove crushed black shadows (less contrast in image in some areas)
    Has anyone figured this out? Honestly, I can't believe a major developer in 2018 releases footage that has such bad black crush. My theory is that they had an HDR video and didn't convert it properly. I can only hope that this is the reason, since it means the game should look okay and be playable - I can't imagine playing a game that looks so bad - but even if that's the reason, it's still inexcusable to release videos like that.

Meanwhile, the opposite problem is also happening - some of the footage is verging on looking washed out.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Wow, really? Maybe they should just cancel the game since there's so much wrong with it already...

Don't get me wrong, I can understand some of these things, (assuming they haven't already been fixed) but most of the items in that list are pathetic nit-picky things
    signature image

Those "pathetic nit-picky things" are the straws that weigh down the camel.

Which is interesting, as after two games you'd think these wouldn't be issues. New engine for SotTR?
    signature image

^ Then you either need a new camel, or give the damn thing a break and stop putting so much pressure on it, especially with straw that pretty much no one is going to notice, or care about.
    signature image

I think it could be helpful to add bullet points or hyphens before each point, make them as succinct as possible, and sort the list by category / severity. Some of the items are aesthetic preferences, some of them are smaller improvements and tweaks (animations etc) but some of them really are important points. A lot of the items are unfortunately less likely to be addressed. By sorting the list, it'd be a lot easier to digest, and possibly more likely to get some attention on the more serious concerns.
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    ^ Then you either need a new camel, or give the damn thing a break and stop putting so much pressure on it, especially with straw that pretty much no one is going to notice, or care about.
    I disagree. Plenty (here and elsewhere) have suggested the animations, shadows and texturing need work. Others have said the combat is not very smooth.
    I've too noticed these things, and when I see games like the upcoming The Last of Us 2 and Anthem, last years HZD: Frozen Wilds and others without these issues it raises my concern a little that maybe the studio wasn't given the chance (or didn't have the capability) to make it the best it could be.

I'll also note that nobody has said "I'm cancelling my pre-order" for these issues, rather offering them up as suggestions to fix.
    signature image

^I agree with Tihocan. I'm really looking forward for this game, and overall I really like what they've shown of Shadow, but there's no denying that there's still issues that should be worked on. And since nowadays a day one patch is guaranteed to happen, I see no problem with compiling these issues to bring to the attention of the devs. Though, like Relight-TRHQ pointed out, the list should be sorted a little bit.

I'm pretty convinced that the points pertaining to the underwater effects will be fixed if they haven't already.

For me, the issue that bugs me the most is the animations - they've been recycling the same animations since the first reboot game and they just look incredibly outdated. But honestly I don't know how realistic it would be to ask them to fix this so close to release.

Also, I hate her mullet. Please get rid of it.
    signature image

I agree with the whole list. These are all minor things so I don*t understand why it*s being looked at like they are major complaints, but if these things get polished in I*m pretty sure they would help make this the most realistic TR that Eidos, along with the fans want. The water graphics do need worked on, even though I*m grateful we even have swimming and underwater gameplay. The tsunami gameplay looks like she*s just flying through the air. Her hair is extremely stiff, and I prefer her to have a longer ponytail, but that*s just my opinion. It shouldn*t defy gravity like stick to her back when she*s climbing upside down. It should float above her head when she*s underwater because that*s what hair does. They need to apply that to her *mullet* as people call it lol. I*m mostly concerned about the water and hair graphics because everything that I*ve seen so far looks good but those. So just add some splashes and bubble, get rid of Lara*s hairspray and add 3-4 inches on her ponytail and things would be amazing. It can be done in a month
    Last edited by Cjl1994; 21st Aug 2018 at 16:28. Reason: Improper punctuation