Thread: Is there less hype this time?

Question Is there less hype this time?

The game is only a month away... and these forums seem kind of dead?

The website is pretty lacking... I don't even see an obvious link to these forums on the website.

I signed up for the mailing list forever ago, and I don't think I've even seen any emails about this game.

Don't tell me it's a new mailing list?

Then again, it's not Crystal... come to think of it, I haven't seen the Crystal newsletter in forever.

I guess I used to feel a lot more connected, because I used to be part of the fansite program, and would always see all the news in their newsletters.

I feel like the magic isn't the same anymore
    signature image
    My Fansite: TombRaiderHQ.com

Where's Meagan at these days?

I guess the forums aren't requiring her attention?

signature image

News wise, this is being overshadowed (#punintended) everywhere by Fallout 76 and the mere mention of Red Dead Redemption 2. Heck, I've read more about No Man's Sky Next than I have of this.

I feel that people have migrated to social media and reddit, and forums are mostly the multiplayer hardliners / complaints sections. But more interestingly so, I think that the lack of "furore" with this release (no exclusivity deal) has resulted in less visibility.
    But while otherwise lower key, the snippets and usual voices (eg. Melonie Mac) behind it remind me of the RotTR lead up. Of course, you have to be following already to see these ones, mostly. It's probably just that other things make for better news.
    signature image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but...

No community contests?

No concept art?

Very slow forums? (Page 1 has topics as old as April, and many topics have less than 10 replies - some have 0!)

I partly agree re: your general take on forums in this day and age... but then again, to use one of your examples, look at the Fallout 76 forums. They have an absolutely awful forum system, and yet those forums are hopping. When you build a forum community the way that Meagan built this community in the days of the reboot and Rise, you would still have an active turnout.

The Twitter does seem reasonably active, but if that's your primary tool, I would definitely want to integrate it more on the official website (the "News" section of the website has only 4 items!) as well as the forums.

(Okay, I just found a bit of concept art on the Twitter, but nothing like we had for the reboot or Rise. And it's not on the official Tomb Raider Flickr or the website, as far as I can tell.)

Social media is cool and all, but to me, square-shaped videos, relatively low resolution compressed images, the shallowness and speed of interaction, and having to browse and find content with scrolling, scrolling, and more scrolling are a very poor and sad replacement for what should happen on a website and in community forums. Social media used to be supplemental, but now, as you say, I fear it's a replacement.
    signature image

i have to admit, it is pretty quiet here. while the videos do look good i still cant help but feel neutral towards it in case they again focus too much on action. i could accept the 2013 version but rise took many steps backwards that i simply did not like the game and have never touched it again.
    shadow seems to take the right steps that i may actually enjoy it, but i so hope that when they introduce the supernatural enemies, that its not the same copy paste crap as they did with rise. and the boss fight better be improved too. rise was such a disaster. a chopper and 3 waves of enemies. seriously?
    signature image

Yeah, this forum is still pretty quiet. I thought as we approach the game's release, this place would come back to life but that hasn't happened yet... it's still pretty much Rai and I trying to keep it updated...

Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    Page 1 has topics as old as April, and many topics have less than 10 replies - some have 0!
    Yeah, the one from April with zero replies was my attempt at starting some speculation into the game's mythology, but it didn't work out...
    signature image

I'm sure there will be plenty of new people here once the game is out (to report bugs, of course )
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post
    News wise, this is being overshadowed (#punintended) everywhere by Fallout 76 and the mere mention of Red Dead Redemption 2. Heck, I've read more about No Man's Sky Next than I have of this.

I feel that people have migrated to social media and reddit, and forums are mostly the multiplayer hardliners / complaints sections. But more interestingly so, I think that the lack of "furore" with this release (no exclusivity deal) has resulted in less visibility.
    But while otherwise lower key, the snippets and usual voices (eg. Melonie Mac) behind it remind me of the RotTR lead up. Of course, you have to be following already to see these ones, mostly. It's probably just that other things make for better news.

And game wise it is sandwiched in between Spider-Man and the Spyro remastered trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphdawg1 View Post
    And game wise it is sandwiched in between Spider-Man and the Spyro remastered trilogy.
    Spyro has been delayed to November.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Relight-TRHQ View Post
    The game is only a month away... and these forums seem kind of dead?

The website is pretty lacking... I don't even see an obvious link to these forums on the website.

I signed up for the mailing list forever ago, and I don't think I've even seen any emails about this game.

Don't tell me it's a new mailing list?

Then again, it's not Crystal... come to think of it, I haven't seen the Crystal newsletter in forever.

I guess I used to feel a lot more connected, because I used to be part of the fansite program, and would always see all the news in their newsletters.

I feel like the magic isn't the same anymore

I know. Usually the forum skin and / or just the banner becomes updated several months before release. I wonder what's going on.

As examples, if I'm not mistaken, I believe for Rise and TR 2013, this site was very active around 7 or 6 months prior to the respective games' releases.

And I find it odd there's no Pinned Shadow of the TR FAQ and information threads, either.

I mean, we do have what seems to be information threads, but they're all scattered around in this section, not actually pinned.

~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note ~ For me, personally, I'm always thrilled whenever a new TR game gets announced.

Honestly, at first, I was kind of disappointed to read news about Crystal Dynamics not doing it this time, but as time went on, I began getting excited since it is a new one.

So, for this game, since I've missed playing Virtua Fighter fighting game, I purchased VF 5 Final Showdown with the customization feature a few days ago and made a Lara Croft fighter using Vanessa Lewis.

Even though it was a bit more than the base game, it was well worth it because I can fight using Lara Croft in that game !!!!
    Last edited by NightRain'06; 2nd Sep 2018 at 04:16.
    signature image

Hopefully things will pick up around here when the new game is out
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkiesXXV View Post
    Hopefully things will pick up around here when the new game is out
    I'm sure it likely will.

But, again, on the forum side, I think the it not being updated ahead of time to get the fans excited was a bit of a miss-step or ball-drop moment. Not to sound pessimistic, but, quite honestly, I would not be surprised if it does not get updated even after the game's release.

I mean, it is a new TR game. So, as the original poster asked, why does it seem like there is less hype this time around ?
    And, I kind of agree with them.
    Last edited by NightRain'06; 6th Sep 2018 at 14:04.
    signature image

^ I think there was a lot of damage done with the Rise exclusivity deal, which hasn't be 'repaired' per se

As for the threads and skins etc, I guess there just isn't enough foot traffic through the forum to warrant that much attention?
    signature image

Even the guy at EB Games was surprised how "under the radar" (his words) this game is, pre-order is tiny compared to most others.

Side note, Australia got 50 copies of the Ultimate edition, in a secret promotion for the higher level members of the EB Games loyalty program.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by NightRain'06 View Post
    I'm sure it likely will.
    You'd think, but then again, a mere announcement of a new game should ideally be enough to generate discussion in these parts, and, well, it hasn't happened yet.

Then again, it might have to do with the SE forums as a whole. It seems it isn't exclusive to this board, I don't see a lot of activity on the other forums, either. Just a thought.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    ^ I think there was a lot of damage done with the Rise exclusivity deal, which hasn't be 'repaired' per se
    Well, literally every trailer I've seen for Shadow of the Tomb Raider either comes from Xbox or uses Xbox marketing and intro/outro clips. Haven't heard a peep from Sony's marketing team for Shadow, neither before nor after Spider-Man launched.

(click image to enlarge)

Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Well, literally every trailer I've seen for Shadow of the Tomb Raider either comes from Xbox or uses Xbox marketing and intro/outro clips. Haven't heard a peep from Sony's marketing team for Shadow, neither before nor after Spider-Man launched.
    Like I said on the other thread, Xbox has the marketing rights for Shadow or something. Even so, I've noticed that for a lot of the promotional videos TR released, mainly the WMW ones, Sony usually shared them on their page the same day or a couple of days after they were originally posted, while Xbox took a lot longer to do so, sometimes even a full week. Just saying...
    signature image

The lack of hype certainly isn't helped by the "underwhelming" MetaCritic score. It currently has a 78 average as of this writing, which IS an, albeit a minor, red flag.

Now, don't get me wrong, a 78 isn't bad by any means, but it's certainly a disappointment. Given the track record of the TReboot games and how AAA games typically score in general on there, you'd expect it to get at least an 85, and they've been known to inflate scores of games, too. Destiny 2 got an 85 and it's one of the most panned games of 2017.

I was thinking about waiting for a Black Friday sale, anyway with Spider-Man coming out a week before.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    The lack of hype certainly isn't helped by the "underwhelming" MetaCritic score. It currently has a 78 average as of this writing, which IS an, albeit a minor, red flag.

Now, don't get me wrong, a 78 isn't bad by any means, but it's certainly a disappointment. Given the track record of the TReboot games and how AAA games typically score in general on there, you'd expect it to get at least an 85, and they've been known to inflate scores of games, too. Destiny 2 got an 85 and it's one of the most panned games of 2017.

I was thinking about waiting for a Black Friday sale, anyway with Spider-Man coming out a week before.
    Interestingly, the metacritic score is 83 on Xbox, 81 on PC and 78 on PS4.

What appears to be bringing the PS4 score down is a review by the Telegraph that gives the game a 40! I mean, really? I haven't played the game yet, but surely a 4/10 is too low?!! And it's the only negative review.

What I don't understand is why some reviews appear on all platforms, while others appear on just one? But from the looks of it none of them are actually focused on the performance the game has on each platform but are really just reviewing the game in general? It really doesn't make any sense to me...
    signature image

I feel like there was some hype at first, when the game was announced, when people got to play a bit of it at conventions and when preorders were available. Now everyone is just waiting for the game to come out and there's nothing left to talk about.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by Lara_Fan_84 View Post
    I feel like there was some hype at first, when the game was announced, when people got to play a bit of it at conventions and when preorders were available. Now everyone is just waiting for the game to come out and there's nothing left to talk about.
    The forums were just as barren then as they are now.

Like I said, the 78 MC score does worry me a little bit. It's not a bad score, but for a high profile AAA game as this, it is a highly disappointing one. To give another example, Batman: Arkham Knight got an 87, and it has/had quite a few people harping on it with many others calling it the worst of the Arkham games (but fan reception was overall net positive). This game reviewing at a 78 is a slight cause for concern.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by a_big_house View Post
    I'm sure there will be plenty of new people here once the game is out (to report bugs, of course )
    signature image

So because of how Rise was treated with Xbox One timed exclusivity, the majority of people were not hyped for Shadow ?

That's an interesting theory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    The forums were just as barren then as they are now.

Like I said, the 78 MC score does worry me a little bit. It's not a bad score, but for a high profile AAA game as this, it is a highly disappointing one. To give another example, Batman: Arkham Knight got an 87, and it has/had quite a few people harping on it with many others calling it the worst of the Arkham games (but fan reception was overall net positive). This game reviewing at a 78 is a slight cause for concern.
    To me, it's a bit ridiculous to see a lot of people relying on game review scores before purchasing, playing, and judging the game themselves. Or, at least, renting it first.

Maybe I'm biased, but since I've been a long time TR fan, although I love them all, I always think the new game outdoes the previous one. That's why it's difficult for me to "grade" the game, even for myself.

So, today I finished Shadow and outside of some technical issues prior to and even while playing, I got past that and thoroughly enjoyed the game.

It took me three days straight of playing because I'm terrible with the story puzzles, yet I somehow managed to solve them eventually, and have been trying to collect a decent amount of items in my first play-through.

I may play the New Game Plus mode soon.

PS ~ I cannot wait for the next one !!
    Last edited by NightRain'06; 17th Sep 2018 at 02:55.
    signature image