Thread: I'm sick of Lord & Lady Croft / bring back British Lara!

I'm sick of Lord & Lady Croft / bring back British Lara!

I'm a long time Tomb Raider fan, and I recently picked up Rise. Playing through it, there are two things I really have to say, and I hope that someone somewhere might hear me and consider these things for the future:

1) I am sick to death of the Lord & Lady Croft story-line. We've had 5 games (and probably a 6th to come) with all this 'daddy daddy', 'mummy I miss you', 'darling daughter I love you', 'my father will be proud of me', 'my mothers spirit lives in me', 'I am my father's daughter', ' 'I must save my mum', 'I must do this for my dad', 'my parents love me, and each other, so much', 'this is note/diary/relic/clue #984575 that my dad left for me, his darling daughter, to find: oh I miss him so!' bollocks. It was a nice idea to add in the parent characters and give Lara some tangible and emotional family connection, but I feel absolutely beaten over the head with it at this point. I rolled my eyes after finishing the Blood Ties DLC - thinking perhaps I was working towards a great secret... nope, just a reminder that Lara's mum loved her. Great... how cute. I'm so bored of it.

I liked the original background of classic Lara - a bored aristocrat that went adventuring for the sake of adventure and was disowned by her parents for choosing that lifestyle over the lifestyle of a lady. That's what grabbed my attention and made me a fan of Lara Crfot, back when I first read it on the back of the Tomb Raider 1 box. Sure, it was just a minimal biography for a puzzle game protagonist back in the day ... but can it not be expanded on now?

What about a Lara who had no relationship with her parents? What if they were cold and distant to her, neglectful, even abusive? What about a Lara who never got any real familial love, only an allowance with a heap of expectations? What if Winston was the only person she received warmth from growing up - a servant that loved her and did what he could for her, but who ultimately could never truly fill the hole left by her father and mother? What if Richard Croft was an archaeologist, but never let Lara in on his research or spent any time with her - and she became an archaeologist in a desperate and failed attempt to win her father's love and approval? What if Lara's mother disproved of her tom boyishness and tried to force her to be a proper lady, and Lara resisted, leading her to only ever have painful and tense relationship with Lady Croft? What if all these things were catalysts for Lara deciding to embark on an dangerous or adventurous life style - perhaps she felt like she had escape her life at home and the life that her parents were trying to force on her, and had nothing to lose by putting herself out there and finding her own way? What about a Lara who is truly independent and adventurous, even if there is a lot of pain behind it, rather than some girl who is constantly obsessing over her parents?

I think if there was another Tomb Raider reboot, something like this would be far more interesting and emotionally involved that more of this daddymummydaughter saccharine sweet crap that they've fed us for far. At this point, to me at least, Lara's parents do not feel like real people and I am not invested in Lara's relationship with them anymore. I think this story has been squeezed of everything it's worth and needs to end.

2)
    "Flashlight", "Mom", etc.
    I cringe when Lara says these things. Please. If Lara is still British, please don't have her use American words.

British people don't say "mom"?

^ Nah, we say "mum" and "torch"
    signature image

@Vixi - I do agree with you about the whole parent thing - it has been done to death. Although there's nothing inherently wrong with these stories, it's just not who Lara Croft is. Like you said, her parents never played a big role in her original bio except for disowning her. Lara was always doing her thing for herself and not anyone else. She went adventuring despite her parents and not because of them.

This is honestly one of my biggest beefs with CD's take on Lara.

As for your suggestions of other types of relationship between Lara and her parents, for me personally that doesn't make a difference. I'm just tired of all these TR stories revolving around Lara's relationship with her parents, be it positive or negative. If her bio ever gets revised/rebooted in the future, I would just prefer to go back to the original one where her parents are basically a footnote and the story is focused on Lara and her adventures.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by dark7angel View Post
    @Vixi - I do agree with you about the whole parent thing - it has been done to death. Although there's nothing inherently wrong with these stories, it's just not who Lara Croft is. Like you said, her parents never played a big role in her original bio except for disowning her. Lara was always doing her thing for herself and not anyone else. She went adventuring despite her parents and not because of them.

This is honestly one of my biggest beefs with CD's take on Lara.

As for your suggestions of other types of relationship between Lara and her parents, for me personally that doesn't make a difference. I'm just tired of all these TR stories revolving around Lara's relationship with her parents, be it positive or negative. If her bio ever gets revised/rebooted in the future, I would just prefer to go back to the original one where her parents are basically a footnote and the story is focused on Lara and her adventures.
    Absolutely, I would enjoy that too. I suggested the negative influence as an idea if Lara had to have some involved family context, but her just having normal parents that have little to no influence on her decisions would be fine too. Anything other than the mess we have now

I replayed Blood Ties yesterday actually and somehow the first time around I missed the subplot of Richard trying to resurrect Amelia... Since 'something' happened (the watch stopped) do you think Amelia might just wake up one day?
    That would be an interesting twist
    signature image