Thread: Sleeping Dogs 2 Obituary

Sleeping Dogs 2 Obituary

This was posted about a month after UFG's death and funeral.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/arti...er-get-to-play

How did nobody notice this? The prototype for SD2 looks like they fixed everything wrong with SD1, and now we'll never see it.

This is just depressing all around. It's like walking into a graveyard and see seeing a child's grave right next to their parents.

The depressing thing is that there are people who don't contribute anything and join just to write pointless posts like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDogs View Post
    The depressing thing is that there are people who don't contribute anything and join just to write pointless posts like this one.
    I'm surprised to hear you label it as "pointless". I would think out of all people, you would welcome any information about a SD game, whether released or dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    I'm surprised to hear you label it as "pointless". I would think out of all people, you would welcome any information about a SD game, whether released or dropped
    That's true, it is my first time saying something like this. I welcome any post which has a point, why do people join just to say something negative and to me, heartbreaking things, no idea.
    I would just encourage anyone to enjoy what we have and forget the "what-ifs".
    Constructive critisism, great. Something that was only said just to make me and any true fan angry with really nothing to say - not so much.

I grow old and i become tired of certain things. And i'm also United Front's biggest fan, whether i'm with everybody or against everybody, heightened emotions follow. I will always be a lone soldier, if the situation requires me to be this wei.

You're not alone SD! I still hold out hope for SD2 one day!

Quote Originally Posted by StanceStrife View Post
    You're not alone SD! I still hold out hope for SD2 one day!
    True dogs always stay 'till the end!

It's me, RandomPerson78642. This is like the 4th account I've made on both this forum and the old forums because I keep losing my passwords lol.

Think for a moment, how Square Enix sees this. Remember, they're the publishers, they control everything.

You of all people should know how hellish the development of SD was. Square Enix made a huge investment in buying them up and saving them, but even after the game released to moderate success SE was disappointed in it. Then SDDE released, which didn't make much of an impact either. Then Triad Wars came out, and everyone didn't like it. Most of us here liked it, me included, but everyone else hated it because it wasn't SD2. As a result of that, the game wasn't making enough money via the "gold" microtransactions so SE shut it down. Then Smash/Grab came out, and they shut that down even faster than TW.

Look at it from their perspective: UFG put out 4 major disappointments/failures in a row. Square Enix had absolutely no guarantee that SD2 wasn't going to be a failure as well, so they decided to not take any more risks and just killed the whole studio.

EDIT: Some sources:
    Make no mistake: Sleeping Dogs was a disaster for Square Enix. Combined with the failures of TW and S/M, and the fact their other franchises weren't doing so hot, their decision to shut down UFG and cancel SD2 is really no surprise.

Needless to say after all the financial grief SD helped cause there's no way they're bringing back SD2, regardless of some movie.

I'm not a pessimist, I'm a realist. Sleeping Dogs was my absolute favorite game for years and I would've loved to see SD2.
    But I just see no point in blindly hoping and ignoring the facts.
    Last edited by RandomRebelSoldier; 4th Mar 2018 at 05:34.

Hey RandomPerson, great to see You!! I missed you, bro

Just a correction, UFG was always independently run company, they were never owned by Square Enix or anyone else, so Square didn't shut, killed UFG. UFG did that on their own.

SD would have done better, if not for how expensive it was. SD 2 was always in plans, there is quite a lot of info about it, with concept, ideas, "blueprints", some art. But it was quickly put on hold, when SD turned out not to be a financial success. That is really where TW comes in, it was pretty cheap to make, as many assets, many animations, the world map etc. has been taken directly from SD. And if that proved to be hugely succesful, i think chances for SD 2 would've increased.

Smash & Grab was UFG's last call, i even spoke to UFG a couple days before their closure, it definitely was a sad time.
    Last edited by SleepingDogs; 4th Mar 2018 at 08:05.

Well technically yes, but in practice the publishers are the ones pulling the strings because they control where all the money goes. If they decide to stop funding then it's game over.

It's really unfortunate that they didn't give SD2 a chance. I think it could've done great and finally cast the series out of obscurity, but alas it just doesn't seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingDogs View Post
    That's true, it is my first time saying something like this. I welcome any post which has a point, why do people join just to say something negative and to me, heartbreaking things, no idea.
    I would just encourage anyone to enjoy what we have and forget the "what-ifs".
    Constructive critisism, great. Something that was only said just to make me and any true fan angry with really nothing to say - not so much.
    Probably not everyone knew the info posted in the OP. That alone makes it worth a post IMO.

Plus, it seems to have gotten people talking

The unborn child
    I wonder if in a parallel universe we will get to play the sequel of this masterpiece.
    Thanks for sharing this information Random
    It's been long time since we last chatted.