Thread: I miss Sam

I miss Sam

I was just thinking about how much the new reboot Lara Croft has meant to me. She's so strong and human, and this makes her relatable in a way that other characters often are not.

In the 2013 game, we see her transform from a scared young adult into someone more self-assured, willing to seek out the truth. But as much as I loved Rise of the Tomb Raider (I've played it three times over already), it left me feeling a bit cold. I loved seeing Jonah and having him be part of the action. And making friends with Sophia and Nadia was great fun, too.

Part of what makes Lara so compelling as a character, to me, is that she isn’t just a badass out to save the world—she has a support network of friends and family who she’s willing to fight for. So, reading the new comics (Survivor’s Crusade #1), it made me sad that Sam isn’t even mentioned, as she’s such a huge part of Lara’s life.
    I hope that Lara grows to understand that she needs people around her, even if it means putting them at risk, because having something worth fighting for is hugely motivating.

If that's stripped from her, she just becomes another generic action hero, and that would be sad for me...and also a bit boring.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and hopefully passing on the sentiments.

Hi and welcome to the forums

I myself can't say I miss Sam. Far from it, I'm happy to see her gone as she was rather annoying and pretty much a useless person. Also gotta disagree that Lara needs Sam in order to stand out from the other action heroes. Lara has always been quite unique and there are lots of things that make her great. One of them being her independence. And Sam would just drag Lara down in that regard.

I'm not exactly up-to-date on the comics, but...

Not to mention Sam has been mentioned in Rise during her therapy session tape:

signature image

^ A mere mention in some obscure log in TR10 vs a main role in TR9 are not exactly comparable.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you

To be honest, I'm glad Sam hasn't appeared or been mentioned in Survivor's Crusade, yet. She was used as a plot device for too long. She outstayed her welcome almost as much as Clara did in Doctor Who . TR was at risk of becoming Saving Sam Raider. The novel and post TR'13 comics and even the last arc of post Rise comics. Enough already. The Himiko story in the last arc was vaguely interesting, but without Himiko, Sam just wasn't compelling enough as a character. She's been 'parked' in the comics, presumably she's in America being looked after by her parents as is suggested in the last arc. Hopefully she'll stay there. I wouldn't be mad if Lara mentions her or even phone's her in the comics, but I wouldn't want her back, especially not in the games. I'm not even sure how they'd write her back in or what role she'd have. I can't see her accompanying Lara on her adventures, not unless they plan on making her suddenly as capable or nearly so as Lara. I've seen people suggest she remain at Croft Manor and talk to Lara via headpiece a la Alister and Zip. Not sure I could handle the constant chatter again .

Lara's friendship with Sam gave her a chance to relax and have a bit of fun, that's true, at least when she wasn't constantly worried about and saving her, that is. Lara does need lighter moments in the game. But she doesn't need Sam specifically for that. CD/EM need to find a way to convey that Lara isn't all seriousness and is actually enjoying her adventures. She's meant to be independent and enjoys her own company as she explores. Perhaps as she has come to terms that she doesn't have to do what she does for anyone else, we can get little glimpses of her being more relaxed in her role as Tomb Raider (instead of being chucked about crashing into things all the time).
    Last edited by Rai; 8th Dec 2017 at 01:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    ^ A mere mention in some obscure log in TR10 vs a main role in TR9 are not exactly comparable.
    I know, I'm just countering OP's claim that Sam has been kicked off to the curb without so much as a mention.

But I'm fine without Sam. We don't need another damsel-in-distress adventure game centered squarely around rescuing her, because that's all she is.
    signature image

I've always like Jonah the most next to Lara. Sam was useless, in my opinion. She kept getting caught by the enemy several times. I feel like when she and the other survivor's walked away from Lara those couple of times Sam shouted "here I am" and they all got captured.

Everyone else from the Endurance seemed to have some basic sense of survival skills but Sam didn't. Granted they did crash on the island and probably didn't have hardly any of the survival gear they planned on having with them but still.
    signature image

Same gurl, same.

If they ever bring back Sam, they should go Amanda on her and make her a badass (to avoid the damsel storyline) - she could go around saving Lara for a change
    signature image

I see Starchild337 hasn't been back, yet. Kinda sad when you make a thread and don't return to see or respond to replies. Perhaps he/she just wanted to express this one time opinion. Oh well.

Anyhoo, well Sam got a mention in SC#2 . I did want to add something that I forgot before.

she has a support network of friends and family who she’s willing to fight for...I hope that Lara grows to understand that she needs people around her, even if it means putting them at risk, because having something worth fighting for is hugely motivating.
    I can see your point that it's nice that Lara has a support network of a small group of people. Perhaps her friends shouldn't be lost entirely. I'm not sure how they'd fit into the games, especially as CD seem to be establishing just how dangerous it is for those close to Lara to be involved. Maybe in the comics they can pop up in her 'between adventures' life. I do think it adds more dimensions to her if we glimpse this once in a while.

However, I am curious to what you mean by 'having something to fight for' and how that's motivation. The only way she'd have a person as motivation for adventuring and raiding is if someone close to her is in severe danger or captured by an enemy. This would mean they'd need saving presumably or to be fought for to prevent any more harm coming to them. We've had that. Sam was captured and almost made a vessel (well she was a vessel, going by the comics). In the game and the comics. She was also used as bait. Grim or rather his brother was also used as bait. Jonah was captured and has been in harms way quite a few times. Even Reyes was in danger, it's why she took her daughter and headed back to the US, another character that hasn't been seen again. You say she needs her friends 'even if it puts them at risk', but I just don't see how that makes sense. If I lived a lifestyle as precarious as Lara's, I'd want my family and friends to be safe and as far away from danger as possible, even if that meant losing contact with them. Having them used as 'motivation' and to fight for, isn't worth the risk. If I were ever responsible for writing a Lara story, I wouldn't keep her friends around just because it's best for Lara as support, not when it means they're used as plot points to save or protect. Lara's motivation is the desire to discover myths and the truths behind them; to travel to far off, often long lost locations and to find the artefact she desires. She fights for those things to stop the baddies from doing something terrible etc. Why should her motivation be human, friends who get in danger?

I'm not saying she should never have anyone else around her. She can meet up with Joslin who could use her police background to help with research on an organisation or something. Or even Sam can use her skills with a camera/documentary maker in a similar way she did in the comics. Something useful that could keep them out of harms way. But even small supposedly 'support' roles such as those would come with the risk of enemies finding them. They shouldn't be used for motivation. And if Lara should choose to keep her friends close even though it means putting them at risk, then I'd say that would be rather selfish. Reboot Lara doesn't seem to the type. If anything, she's more likely to keep them at arms length to keep them safe. If only Jonah would stop following his 'little bird' around like a lost pup .

I also think so that sam was not that great, its better that she is not here.