Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Let's discuss: Voice Acting in FINAL FANTASY

Let's discuss: Voice Acting in FINAL FANTASY

Only a handful of titles in the entire FINAL FANTASY library have used Voice Acting, but with the current generation and next generation systems rarely leaving out this storytelling tool, what aspects of voice acting have you liked/disliked, championed/disdained, cheered/jeered in previous titles and what would you like to see going forward?

---

More, I am saying would you pay for the International versions of the games?

Also, would you like Japanese voice OPTION for future FF's?

For those that don't know, usually SE, after overseas release, eventually release an international version. These often contain many extra features that almost make them new games. For example FFX, and XII international. Unfortunately Square doesn't seem to want to release these overseas, bar FFX international in the PAL version.

Now also, I bolded the word option for the original voices to emphasize that it is dual audio, meaning, there is a English track also, and you don't have to use the Japanese, if you don't like it and can switch.

For me YEAH! I would definitely rebuy the international version of FF games for their extra features, and I would also like a Japanese voice option, to replay the game in, after I beat it

So what about you?
    Last edited by Grimoire; 22nd Oct 2013 at 14:03.

If the FFX HD remake ends up being the international one, I'd most certainly get it. I sure want to try to take on the Dark Aeons.

I would personally buy and play these, but to be honest I don't see American's rebuying a game that they already bought, expecially if the international version is released a few months or years after the original. There isn't enough money to be made to be worth it to SE

I just think they shouldn't even make a international or Final mix version. If it's that important, PUT IT IN THE FIRST GAME! I don't like how they make new versions but being a sucker, yes I would buy them.

Dissidia Final Fantasy 012 , FF XIII and XIII-2 have Asian Version ( English Text and japan Voice ) . FFXIII-2 asian Version release before US and EU version and It had new DLC at the same time with JP Version so as long as their games is not release in Nintendog system ( because region lock ), we will have FF games with japan voice and English Text in the future

Originally Posted by Z
    Topic More, I am saying would you pay for the International versions of the games? Also, would you like Japanese voice OPTION for future FF's? For those that don't know, usually SE, after overseas release, eventually release an international version. These often contain many extra features that almost make them new games. For example FFX, and XII international. Unfortunately Square doesn't seem to want to release these overseas, bar FFX international in the PAL version. Now also, I bolded the word option for the original voices to emphasize that it is dual audio, meaning, there is a English track also, and you don't have to use the Japanese, if you don't like it and can switch. For me YEAH! I would definitely rebuy the international version of FF games for their extra features, and I would also like a Japanese voice option, to replay the game in, after I beat it So what about you?

They should hire you for being the messaih of brilliant ideas cuz i agree whole heartedly.

They're capable of doing it.

Yes, it's something I'd like to see, and possibly buy-- especially where Final Fantasy games are concerned.

Originally Posted by DerekMaverick

I just think they shouldn't even make a international or Final mix version. If it's that important, PUT IT IN THE FIRST GAME! I don't like how they make new versions but being a sucker, yes I would buy them.

Wholeheartedly agree. (Except on the whole buying them again, which I don't have the extra cash for.)

But I would like it if future FFs have dual audio in case they pick bad voice actors/actresses for the English version. Nothing ruins a game quite like bad voice acting.

I don't think I remember them ever having a bad voice actor/actress but yus, the option needs to be included with english subs.

I feel that all Final Fantasies should come with the original Japanese Audio option, and with English Subtitles. I watch all animes with Japanese audio and English subs and no reason why Japanese games should be any different. Having said that, the English Voices and the accents in games don't bother me that much.

Ahh, well I like the English track very much too *cough Balthier*cough However, sometimes I think it is very refreshing to hear the other voices, even if the English ones are fine. To be honest though, for FF13, the Japanese is much better IMO than the English. But as for the others, both are almost as good to me.

And really there is no reason to omit it either. I like you think, it should come with it, if possible, in it.

@Z

Really? I thought that the English actors where MUCH better than the JP actors. Sazh and Snow sound really weird, but that's just my opinion. Not trying ta be a yerk.

Originally Posted by DerekMaverick

I don't think I remember them ever having a bad voice actor/actress but yus, the option needs to be included with english subs.

*coughTiduscough*

I actually didn't think that Tidus was all that bad. I can understand why people would have a problem with it though.

I would warmly welcome the option to have the ability to switch to an English dub with the original japanese voice work. I found the English voice actors they hired to portray classic characters from Final Fantasy VII in Advent Children to be borderline atrocious. For this reason, anytime I go to watch the film, I keep it in Japanese.

In any future releases/remasters SE plans to do, I feel having the option to alter the VO language to be quite pivotal.

@ DerekMaverick

Sure! I understand it is your opinion IDK, you are right Snow and Sazh English is better. I agree with that. I think I said that out of liking Lightning's Hope and Vanille's lol in Japanese. Fang is indifferent to me in both languages. But you are definitely right about Snow and Sazh IMO

So, pretty much everyone one here so far, agrees, it should stay. And what the person above said, I do think it is an important feature, especially for those of us that replay the game. And there really aren't that many translation changes, as I watched FFX in Japanese with English subs, and if my knowledge is correct, they are literally saying the same thing in Japanese that was dubbed, unlike Anime where the lines are completely different in each version.

They do tend to stay towards the same lines just translated and fixed to make the english sound more clear and concise. But the earlier Ted Woolsey translations are not the same!

I've always wondered how much better X through XIII-2 would have been with japanese voices instead of the english voices. I can't stand watching anime with english voices, and the newer naruto games usually have a DLC of a japanese voice option.
    Last edited by Grimoire; 22nd Oct 2013 at 14:03.

There's one version of XIII and also XIII-2 that has that option (English text, Japanese voices). I am talking about this:

www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp-49-en-70...

www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIII2_En...

They are out of print though, but there's this kinda expensive dual pack:

www.play-asia.com/Final_Fantasy_XIIIXIII...

One of the Asian versions of Lightning Returns will also have the same treatment.

Originally Posted by imported_David
    I've always wondered how much better X through XIII-2 would have been with japanese voices instead of the english voices. I can't stand watching anime with english voices, and the newer naruto games usually have a DLC of a japanese voice option.

Always said the same thing, poor english acting, but FFX wasen't that bad, compare to XIII and didn't bother with XIII-2. I wish they still kept it silent, like the old ones, prefer reading them threw with no voices.

imagen what they would sound like, keep that in your imagenation.

Only a handful of titles in the entire FINAL FANTASY library have used Voice Acting, but with the current generation and next generation systems rarely leaving out this storytelling tool, what aspects of voice acting have you liked/disliked, championed/disdained, cheered/jeered in previous titles and what would you like to see going forward?

The battle commentary in FFX and FFX-2 is perfect. It sets the mood, contributes to characterization, and makes grinding a lot more fun.

Auron's confidence, Tidus' naivety, Rikku's perkiness, Yuna's innocence, Lulu's level-headedness, and Wakka's goofiness all come out with the voice acting and make the characters that much more endearing.

Voice acting is more than just a technological advance, it is a way for characters to express themselves and give you a window to their souls!

Personal favorite from FFX = Auron: "Enough." And from FFX-2 = Rikku: "I'm gonna whack you good!"

For voice acting I am one who loves the original voice acting. (japanese) Not to say there is anything wrong with the english cast, but It feels at times to me(just my opinion) that the original japanese cast can portray more emotion at times when the english voice may not quiet get it. That may come from hearing more often than not in watching the anime that I do the original voices, thus I'm more used to hearing things done in japanese. I know of many people who enjoy the english cast, and that is fine.

It would be nice to be able to ,in future games, select between the diffrent languages. So that those of us who enjoy the original cast can do just that,and those who would prefer the english cast can do that as well.

Of all the voice casts for final fantasy My favorite would be FFXII. The voices did seem to go well with the characters in the english version,(though I still prefered the japanese version). I know that the voices seemed to have english style accents, but that seemed to go well with how it played. It gave balthier a sort of sophistication that he may have lacked if done in a normal tone. Fran to me seemed more mysterious becuase of how she spoke, and that gave the watcher the belief that she was mature, and knowledged.

Of final fantasy X It has been so long that I don't remember the voices that well, or maybe they just weren't that memorable (my opinion) I didn't dislike the voices of ffXIII, but again it seems as though they didn't really stick with me much. Maybe it's that when I see the trailer's when they first come out, usually it's in japanese so then I become acustom to hearing it that way. The most memorable thing I have for ffx is when I saw a japanese trailer for it. Tidus was doing a narative while to zanarkand was playing in the backround. It was beautiful, and one of the reasons I decided to purchase the game(though I usually buy most ff's that come out)

As I have said, I am used to hearing the voices in japanese, so to me alot of the times once I hear the english cast, I am disappointed. again it's not to say they are doing a bad job at all, just that to me it doesn't feel as real as it could. there have been other games not done by square enix, that I have quiet playing all together becuase of the voices, so at least that hasn't happened yet with a ff.

oh and on a final note, FFXIV. I honestly didn't like the voices much at all, or at least some of them. I struggled to turn down the volume, and missed some beautiful music, all becuase I coudn't stand to hear the voices anymore.

thank you for listening, and again everything stated above was purely my opinion. thanks again ^ ^

Japanese voices with english subtitles - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

options for subs in games - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139231...

Which English voices would you like to see the most in Type-0? - na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235...

A dual language voice option would be much appreciated, ssu!

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last