Thread: Marvel Entertainment & Square Enix Announce The Avengers Project

Marvel Entertainment & Square Enix Announce The Avengers Project

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.

A game based on beloved Marvel heroes, The Avengers project is being crafted by Crystal Dynamics – longtime developers of the award winning Tomb Raider series – in collaboration with lauded Deus Ex developer Eidos-Montréal.

“By partnering with Crystal Dynamics and Eidos-Montréal, we are now working with two of the industry’s most talented and respected game development studios to bring Marvel stories to life in ways our fans have never experienced,“ said Jay Ong, Senior Vice President, Games & Innovation, Marvel Entertainment. “The Avengers project is a perfect example of how Marvel is making games a key part of the landscape for Marvel storytelling, alongside comics, television and film. We can only do this by matching our greatest Super Heroes with the world’s top developers, such as the creative minds at Square Enix.”

“Marvel’s diverse, innovative universe has created millions of longtime fans, including all of us,” said Phil Rogers, CEO, Square Enix Americas and Europe. “It’s exciting to bring together Square Enix’s award-winning development studios with Marvel’s extraordinary storytellers to establish a new entertainment powerhouse. This collaboration of passion and talent will craft epic, imaginative experiences allowing gamers to live out their Super Hero dreams like never before.”

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018. For now, you’re welcome to dissect and discuss the teaser trailer on social using #Reassemble, and chat here in our dedicated forums with fellow fans.

Super stoked for this one. I've been a giant Marvel fan since I was four years old. This is the type of game I get greeted with and get all sorts of excited for.
    signature image
    Because boomerangs.

Almost like DCUO ?????? or something different

Big Grin

Just TWO Question,

1. Are we talking an MMOrpg?
    2. Console and/or PC?

I can't wait to get my hands on this, and the best part of it all, is this nice little quote
    It will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come.

Now that's something I can't wait to drop some cash into.

Big Grin

Great News , I can't wait
    signature image
    I solve problems.

A couple of questions, suggestions:

Would you consider using voice actors from either the MCU or the cartoons?

If this is a multi-game partnership, will there be bonuses/unlocks for having saves from the other games? For example having a save of the rumored Guardians of the Galaxy game (or anything else in the Marvel universe), could unlock skins of those characters in the Avengers game. If the games share the same engine, there could be lots of transferable stuff.

Will this game see a return of the sort of backtracking to reach secret locations like in Soul Reaver? I know Tomb Raider had this, but you never got some spectacular new ability or story scene due to Lara's survival skills being more grounded in realism. IMO, it's a lot easier to work that stuff in with multiple characters that have superpowers, because of how diverse they are. Revisiting a location as a different character could reveal all kinds of hidden stuff.

Will it be open-world or at least semi-open-world? Maybe like a few different regions where you have several missions in each, but can wonder off and explore at any point.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Oh man, that was one shocking news! I've never expected Square Enix and Marvel to work together!

Even thought I am looking forward to it, Square Enix is known with its good games, looking at Tomb Raider Series and Final Fantasy Games... I am really looking forward to the game, I have of course couple of questions:

What engine you plan to use? UE4 is a good choice, and its the more immersive one, which makes games playable on almost any machine for the past 10 years. Frostbite is quite immersive and good one too, but heavy on the machine. There is always Unity and Source Engine too. Or do you plan to use original one?

On what platform the game will be? PC or PS, Xbox, etc. I certainly hope that a PC version will be released for certain.

Beside team Avengers, what is the next team which most likely will be added, shortly after avengers? I hope its X-Men, but you never know...

What kind of aspect the powers will affect the environment? Certainly I know that most games are based with powers which are usually particles, never actually affecting fully the environment... but I was hoping for something more vast in this project... where the heroes powers will be truly reached and they will affect the whole environment, like when there is a tornado there is a real tornado, not small sized area... or if a storm is summoned, then truly its summoned. Of course this will be only player screen affect... so the others can have the same fun, or the group as a whole. Will the heroes true capabilities be reached, or will they be balanced? Speaking strictly for PvE content...

And one last question... are we going to play as the actual heroes or as original characters?
    Last edited by vladko92; 2nd Feb 2017 at 17:39.

Quote Originally Posted by vladko92 View Post
    What engine you plan to use?
    I could see them using UE4 or an in-house engine like their new Luminous Studio engine for FFXV. I expect it to be an ARPG in the mold of FF/KH and such.

Beside team Avengers, what is the next team which most likely will be added, shortly after avengers? I hope its X-Men, but you never know...
    As a matter of fact, Eidos apparently have a Guardians of the Galaxy game in the works along with this one.

But yeah, #Hyped.
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    I could see them using UE4 or an in-house engine like their new Luminous Studio engine for FFXV. I expect it to be an ARPG in the mold of FF/KH and such.
    Ah Unreal Engine 4, is indeed the best choice, any smart company and developer team would use it, knowing quite well that the games made through it can be run on any machine (PC speaking) or any console (XB1/360 and PS4/3).

However I disagree with the point of being made as FFXV, even thought I totally love their new FF, I can't play it. Because its only for consoles, and I don't have one! And on the other hand, seems like the engine which they used for FF will be pretty heavy on the low end machines, hell it will even be heavy on the medium ones.

And they do aim to released it for the 'whole world' as they said themselves. So my guess it would be an Engine which can deliver absolutely amazing graphics and stunning gameplay, with low requirements. And this all can be achieved throughout UE4.

Oh yea and I doubt it will be something like FF series. Square Enix is fully behind that project, but the studio is the one which matters and the studio for The Avengers Project is Crystal Dynamics... So I am expecting something more along the lines of Tomb Raider Series. After all Crystal Dynamics is well known with this title all over the world, if people paid enough attention to the studio behind the series!

Quote Originally Posted by KManX89 View Post
    As a matter of fact, Eidos apparently have a Guardians of the Galaxy game in the works along with this one.
    I know about Guardians of the Galaxy Game made by Eidos Montreal... but I was hoping more for an X-Men introduction. I am really hyped about playing Storm in this upcoming stunning game (which I am sure it will be, if Crystal Dynamics is behind it)!

Personally I was hoping for something like DC Universe Online type of game, but with far more advanced Graphics, and much more stunning characters and power animations, but an Adventure like Tomb Raider with quite a big of and Action Pack, would make the best out of it! If you consider it more seriously that it. And of course the deep story concept which the TR Series... now imagine that deep story concept made for an Avenger game, now that would be astonishingly beautiful!
    Last edited by vladko92; 2nd Feb 2017 at 19:14.

It's probably going to be the Foundation Engine, AKA the CDC Engine that Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal have used in Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Legacy of Kain and Gex. It's the same one they've used for years and is perfect for open world action adventure games.

It's also the one the teams are most familiar with and would therefore do the best job with.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 3rd Feb 2017 at 01:05.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

I don't know, I would still prefer UE before Foundation Engine. Even thought that Rise of the Tomb Raider, looked amazing... I still believe that UE4 is better.

I don't know which engine they're using but what Vampaster says makes the most sense. Even if Unreal has more technical possibilities and what not, neither of the studios have experience with it so I agree that they'd do a better job with an engine they are familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    I don't know which engine they're using but what Vampaster says makes the most sense. Even if Unreal has more technical possibilities and what not, neither of the studios have experience with it so I agree that they'd do a better job with an engine they are familiar with.
    I am not worried that they won't do their job. What I am worried about is, is their engine capable to grant them the tech to build good enough Hero game. Will their engine, allow them to create good game with Heroes, that what I am worried. Because so far it hasn't been used at all like that.

Yea Tomb Raider and Deus Ex are extremely beautiful games with good gameplay mechanics, however if we put aside all that, it comes the moment where when you look upon the two games, they are both pretty much the same, the only thing which changes is the character appearance and the environment which they are, even thought the environment itself from bigger perspective is pretty much the same.

In Tomb Raider we have temples and vast lands of forests while in Deus Ex we have futuristic setup, with still large scales of open territory, pretty much like the Forests which are in Tomb Raider.

Here we are talking for characters who, first should be able to fly (just you can't take away their most iconic capability...), one of them can control the weather and use his hammer with crushing force (I am looking at you Thor), while the other, can go so small that he can enter in the atom level (looking at you Pym) and so much more.

The hero game itself will be entirely different, the characters in it, will be entirely different, yea perhaps the environment will be pretty much close to what a futuristic settings will look like, just in more modern way. But the other things, flying, weather manipulation, shrinking those all are things which worries me, can their engine provide them with the capabilities of creating such thing.

Is this the start of some Marvel Video Game Universe(MVGU)? Where there will be individual games leading up to an Avengers game?

Sounds interesting, being a Marvel Heroes Omega veteran will there be a Beta?