Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII New Trailer and Preview Coverage

LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII New Trailer and Preview Coverage

This week we gave fansites and media alike a preview of LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII as well as showcased a new trailer to everyone.

With the game slated for Fall of this year, what questions remain to be asked about this title in the minds of you the fans? What impressions did you get from the coverage you might have read in the run-down we posted yesterday? What is the level of your anticipation for this title?

Without securing any particular responses for this thread, give us your thoughts below, and talk amongst yourselves about this upcoming conclusion to Lightning's saga.

We've asked before what you're waiting for in 2013. For one of the titles known to be coming in this same year; LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII, what's your take?

Personally, I'm very interested in the game. I love the story of the XIII series. The new gameplay mechanics look fun. I read some of those articles, they answered many of my questions. I hope the game lives to my expectations. I would like to see more videos of the battles.

I'm very interested in Lightning Returns as I have enjoyed the two previous games (despite their flaws). My biggest concern is really the time limit to the game. I'm not generally a fan of games that impose a lot of time limits (I disliked Majora's Mask), and this looks similar to that game in a way. Please make sure the devs make it VERY lenient with lots of ways to get time back (preferably ways that are not super repetitive). Why give us a brand new and huge world, but limit how much time we can explore it?

Next time you show the game, please try to show us more environments than just Luxerion! I can't wait to see that beautiful world~

I'm a fan of the Lightning saga despite both games shortcomings (XIII/XIII-2). LR is my most anticipated FF over the course of this year with ARR closely following. I agree with naaros as the time limit is the most obtrusive feature in this game. I like to take my time. I understand they are trying to add a sense of urgency, but I'd like if there is a lot of leeway for adding on time and in ways that mixes things up (Not repeating the same quests). I agree on the end of that if we have such a huge world to explore, I'd like if i didn't feel so rushed to play around in it and explore and yes please, show us more environments. I feel FF fields are what matter over the cities.

I'm generally looking forward to it as a fan of the XIII series. I'm optimistic, however I can't help but be worried on the story side of the game. There is much to cover on the lore (many questions regarding the mythology remain unanswered to this day) and can we really take them for their word that not only Lightning will get her satisfying conclusion but also the other main characters of the previous XIII entries as well through their own episodes? I think this part is vital, because not only Lightning has been fighting all this time but also the others as well. One of the things that the first XIII game has captivated me is the teamwork of the party and their familial bond. I really hope this is shown in this game because, well, it's the concluding title. We do control Lightning solely but I still want to see and feel that Lightning is not the only who's solving everything alone.

As for the gameplay and the world, I like what I'm hearing so far. The screenshots are nice, but I was not pleased by the trailers that much because of their quality. As reported, the footage used was from an early build of the game, but the devs should at least have considered first impressions a lot. Here's to hoping that the next trailers will show much improvement from these first trailers we got.

Its looks great!! but I'm a bit worried about the gameplay.

the town looks lifeless

I believe that it will be great. The towns need more work though. Battle system looks ingaging and challenging. I'm excited for this game.

the game looks like garbage to be honest. Not quite shovelware but a 4-7 scored game. Nothing special. Just killing ff more.

Originally Posted by RPGFan2k

the game looks like garbage to be honest. Not quite shovelware but a 4-7 scored game. Nothing special. Just killing ff more.

Because obviously what we've seen so far reflects the presentation of the final product.

Totally.

i'm curious about the clock runnning out, when it dose and re-sets i assume what progress would be saved from your last run? the clock looks like a definite challenage but not an unreasonable one. i look forward to the game, can't wait.^-^

Does anyone remember the trailer of ffxiii back in E3 2006 ? the battle system was amazing and in that trailer Lightning was fighting alone so it could fit in LIGHTNING RETURNS

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VHatmEIygg

Yeah, totally. Who knows, they might have looked back on it and brainstormed new ideas based from it. They re-introduced the Overclock feature after all.

I loved FFXIII and FFXIII-2, FFXIII Lightening Returns is looking like it'll be just as good ast he previous 2 entries. It'll be nice to see how Lightening's story continues from where it left off in XIII-2. Plus each game seems to be using more and more of the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore. I can't wait to learn more about Etro and Bhunivelze. Honestly though it'll just be nice to watch Lightening be epic.

Can't wait until this game releases! I'll be looking forward to more news about it.

I don't understand what you're talking about. What part of the stuff we've seen looks at all bad? We haven't seen enough of the gameplay to have any idea what it's actually like, and the graphics look great to me, and since we don't know enough about the story to judge, what is it that they've done wrong? Unless you're just complaining that they haven't given us enough information, I don't understand what your problem is.

Originally Posted by Scythean

I loved FFXIII and FFXIII-2, FFXIII Lightening Returns is looking like it'll be just as good ast he previous 2 entries. It'll be nice to see how Lightening's story continues from where it left off in XIII-2. Plus each game seems to be using more and more of the Fabula Nova Crystallis lore. I can't wait to learn more about Etro and Bhunivelze. Honestly though it'll just be nice to watch Lightening be epic.

Can't wait until this game releases! I'll be looking forward to more news about it.

I'm with this guy.

I liked XIII and I had a blast with XIII-2--it was the only game that I went out of my way to get the platinum trophy--although the ending made me want to throw the controler at the TV screen LOL. Well, from the trailer it seems both Hope and Noel will return, but are they as playable characters? I remember reading it somewhere when the game was first announced that Lightning will be the only playable character in LIghtning Returns, and I really hope that's not the case. I love Lightning, she's my favorite FF female character, but I like to see others in action, too.

Originally Posted by Chrysalias

Because obviously what we've seen so far reflects the presentation of the final product.

Totally.

If they didn't want people to think that, why show it now?

Lightning Returns will be very different from Majora´s mask!.

Originally Posted by theresay

I liked XIII and I had a blast with XIII-2--it was the only game that I went out of my way to get the platinum trophy--although the ending made me want to throw the controler at the TV screen LOL. Well, from the trailer it seems both Hope and Noel will return, but are they as playable characters? I remember reading it somewhere when the game was first announced that Lightning will be the only playable character in LIghtning Returns, and I really hope that's not the case. I love Lightning, she's my favorite FF female character, but I like to see others in action, too.

This is not just confirmed, it's been confirmed absolutely to death and has been re-mentioned in nearly every article or editorial to do with the upcoming game. Lightning will absolutely be the only controllable character in the game, although obviously she won't be the only character important to the story. There have been a wide variety of reasons given for this choice, and there are a few story-based reasons on top of the pile of gameplay/asset development kinds.

EDIT: It was mentioned by Toriyama that there may be times in the game where you have a guest party member for battles. They would likely have their own predetermined ability sets, and would not be controllable.

I'm just going to wait and see what the finished game offers before I really say anything about it. I'm not going to pre-order it though. This has to do with my disappointment in FF13. I'll either rent it, or check it out online to see if the content of the finished product interests me or not. I never used to do this with a FF title. Heck, I used to buy new consoles for these games. I bought the PS3 for FF13, the PS2 for FF10, the PS1 for FF7, and the SNES for FF4. I never cared what else was coming out for those systems. Of course, I've bought many other rpgs. But, the FF series is the only one that has ever had the power to get me to buy a brand new console. My interest in rpgs hasn't changed one bit. Sometimes I feel as if SE is unintentionally weeding me out.

There will always be people picking apart each new game in the series. That will never change because, that's just asking for 'perfection', which will never happen. It isn't about people being 'picky' anymore, though. The changes haven't been as 'subtle' as they were pre-FF10. The game-design in the series has drastically changed since then, and people are letting SE know how they feel about it. This is about more than the games' 'stories' or 'battle-systems'. Personally, I never even dreamed the company would drop their traditional game-design. I expected them to keep enhancing it like they did with every new title since the beginning. I just hope SE doesn't find themselves stuck in a 'tradition' of demoting CEOs.

I have to say I'm not thrilled with what I've seen so far. I was very happy with the changes they made to XIII-2 to kind of make up for how linear the first one was. I also really loved the battle system in these two games AND the fact that I didn't have to waste time/money healing the party after battles. The one thing I DIDN'T really like in 2 was that you only had 2 characters the entire game (though it was partially made up for with the Pokemon-esque thing with the monsters. Now it's only ONE character (I LOVE Lightning but one of my favourite things about the FF series is the use of tons of characters that come in and out of your party throughout the story), the battle system doesn't seem to be anything LIKE any FF battle system which is why I like these kinds of games, AND I'm not super thrilled with the time-limit thing. Granted that's just personal preference but I like taking my time with FF games, doing all the side quests etc. I don't like having to replay games over and over to do everything.

Sigh. I'm still going to get it of course. I just wish they kept moving in the right direction back towards what FF games used to be about like they did with the second one.

On a side note. I would KILL for a re-done version of FFIV & VI in this style graphics!! KILL.

Originally Posted by theresay
    Yeah I'm going to be PISSED if we don't see any of the other characters again. There's no way to know yet, but...yeah. Someone speculated that Lumina is Serah reincarnated (which makes sense as they look exactly the same), and that would be cool and all, but I still want to see Noel, Hope, Snow, Fang & Vanille again. (Never was a huge fan of Sazh but I'd love to see a grown-up Dajh...with a grown-up Chocobo!)

Originally Posted by igotkittypryde

Yeah I'm going to be PISSED if we don't see any of the other characters again. There's no way to know yet, but...yeah. Someone speculated that Lumina is Serah reincarnated (which makes sense as they look exactly the same), and that would be cool and all, but I still want to see Noel, Hope, Snow, Fang & Vanille again. (Never was a huge fan of Sazh but I'd love to see a grown-up Dajh...with a grown-up Chocobo!)

Snow is confirmed to be in the game, with a new costume designed by Testuya Nomura that hasn't been revealed yet. Hope is confirmed to be in the game, and he guides Lightning from an unknown location via wireless transmission. Noel was shown in the extended first look video released in January, but was also briefly visible in the initial video shown at Jump Festa in December. There has been no word about Fang, Vanille, Sazh, or Dajh appearing in the game but Square Enix is being very tight-lipped in regards to the story. If Dajh appears, he will not be grown up; With any true concept of time dissolved by Chaos, the development team revealed that the cycle of life is broken. People do not age, they do not die of old age, and no new children are born. People can be killed, but that's about it. Dajh's chocobo will make an appearance in the game whether or not he does, as it was revealed in XIII-2 that she became the time-traveling merchant Chocolina when she was accidentally left behind in the Void Beyond as a chick. Chocolina will no longer be a shopkeeper like she was in XIII-2, but will still fullfill an important gameplay role.

Lumina and Serah do not look exactly alike. They are remarkably similar, and Lumina looks like she could be a young Serah or a young Lightning, but there are differences in facial structure and hair color that may indicate she is not the same. Lumina would not be a reincarnated Serah in the same way that Yeul was reincarnated, even if they ended up being the same person; It was revealed in Fragments After that Etro was the one who sent Yeul back to be reborn, and it was only because Yeul's soul was something altogether different than other humans. Whereas other human souls were consumed by Chaos or fell into the Void Beyond or passed into whatever world lay beyond Valhalla, Yeul's soul remained there unchanging and alone. Add to that fact no new human children are born and that the children of the world don't grow up and it seems unlikely that Lumina is a reborn Serah.

There is a related, but slightly different theory that is somewhat more likely if you care to hear it.

Truly amazing trailer

Page 1 of 2 12 Last