Thread: The Black Mages

The Black Mages

Oh, yes. This is what happens when Nobuo Uematsu, Tsuyoshi Sekito and a handful of other composers who worked on Final Fantasy music make a rock arrange band. Magic. Absolute magic.

There's three albums so far: their self-titled first release, The Skies Above, and Darkness and Starlight. Most of their songs are arrangements of classic Final Fantasy songs from across the series. If you're into this kind of thing, I wholeheartedly reccomend you listen to it!

I liked them a lot when I was younger, but I think the arrangements have way too much 80's cheese. Admittedly, that's kinda the point, so if that's your thing, they're great. Their arrangement of "Battle with the Four Fiends" though is really nice.

I'm not really a fan of The Black Mages' works to be honest. To me, it all sounds like generic rock music (then again, a lot of thins sound generic to me). There are some that i think are okay but most of them I just skip over whenever they come up.

i Happen to own there first cd. i listen to it most of the time when i am cleaning house. to bad that they broke up .

We are going to have The Black Mages III Soundtracks, signed by Nobuo Uematsu available at the MCMExpo this week!
    ― The signed copies of Black Mages III are event exclusive and at the moment there are no plans to sell them online.

Take part in our Black Mages III contest!
    ― All you have to do is tell us a bit about your passion for video game music.