Thread: Chrono Cross backwards compatibility issues on the PS3?

Chrono Cross backwards compatibility issues on the PS3?

So I'd really like to play this game again, but I don't own a PS or PS2 anymore, just my original 60GB backwards-compatible PS3. I've heard that there's issues with this game, though? Does anyone have any firsthand experience and know if this is true?

Originally Posted by dxgirly
    So I'd really like to play this game again, but I don't own a PS or PS2 anymore, just my original 60GB backwards-compatible PS3. I've heard that there's issues with this game, though? Does anyone have any firsthand experience and know if this is true?

I don't know about the disc copy, but it's on the PSOne Classics now so if those don't work you can buy it off PSN and play it on PS3 or PSP.

Originally Posted by Tiael

Originally Posted by dxgirly

I don't know about the disc copy, but it's on the PSOne Classics now so if those don't work you can buy it off PSN and play it on PS3 or PSP.

For $10, it may be worth it. I really don't want to get into the game and then have it freeze on me over and over.

If it does freeze, can't you just buy the PSN version and use the same virtual memcard? I too have the 60 gig BC PS3, and I played CC up to the first time you leave the home world without any problems. However, I remember that certain enemy attacks always made my ps2 freeze, making especially the White Dragon fight (one of the game-freezing attacks was his healing move he uses every five turns, meaning I had to kill him before he used his fifth move, it was torture until I finally got lucky and managed it) a bit of a pain.

Originally Posted by Basho

If it does freeze, can't you just buy the PSN version and use the same virtual memcard? I too have the 60 gig BC PS3, and I played CC up to the first time you leave the home world without any problems. However, I remember that certain enemy attacks always made my ps2 freeze, making especially the White Dragon fight (one of the game-freezing attacks was his healing move he uses every five turns, meaning I had to kill him before he used his fifth move, it was torture until I finally got lucky and managed it) a bit of a pain.

Oh... I didn't realize you could use the same save data. I had assumed that because it saves the game in a different spot than then PSN games, that you couldn't.

I thought you used the same virtual memory card thingy? Give me ten minutes and I'll check my PS3 to be sure lol

Nevermind, it didn't take as long to find the data as I thought. Yes, my Chrono Cross disc data is on the same virtual memory card as my FFVII PSN data. I assume that since they are direct ISOs of the games, there is no difference and the saves of the PSN and disc versions are compatible, but I could be mistaken. I would recommend trying to find more info about it on Sony's website if you are nervous or doubt me :P but I believe it should work

Oh great! Thanks for checking for me! Now I can play until payday on Thursday, when I can buy the PSN version!

No prob, just don't hunt me down if I'm wrong lol

Nah, I wouldn't do that.

Hey dxgirly, did it work?

I actually haven't tried it yet. My husband has been sleeping during the day because he works overnights and our PS3 is hooked up in our bedroom. I may actually wait and see if it is included in the titles eventually being brought over as playable on the Vita, since I think it would be kinda fun playing it on there.

O.O

Originally Posted by Strife the Avenger22

O.O

What's the matter? Did I say something wrong?

Originally Posted by member_10016397
    Since it's a PS1 game that means that you can also play it on PS vita... PS vita has a better screen then psp and therefore I would recommand the it on the bita just for it's amazing screen!

Glad to see the spirit is still alive =D So many ports, but a solid adventure.