Thread: Mission 7 Tips

Mission 7 Tips

Scuzzers? Ehh.. that sounds really expensive.

I can see how there might be a couple points where you have to load up a saved game, but do you really have to reload the level again and again? For me the only tricky part was after i took over the first guy, and both enemies attacked before i concentrated on getting more gors. I just loaded the game id saved right after beating enemy #1, hired an extra 10 or so gors, and did a little pre emptive strike on the red guys. I think green took a few of my biodeck segments, but i just let them take one or two. Then i think they either stopped or maybe attacked red.

Oh just a question about gameplay in general - how many people use the factory that much? Is it a good way to make money? I basically just ignored it.

Factories produce any researched item at 25% below cost. If you improve your research into an item, it reduces the cost by a further 5%. For small things, they're quick and versitile. For large things, they save you a lot of enregy.

Of course, everything is cheaper if you know who to buy it from, buy Kasvagorians visit you a lot less frequently than some other races.

Red Face (Embarrassed) Well for the "Mr. Specific"s out there....

Yup, factories! factories! factories! i cannot stretch the utter (Moo!... sorry) usefulness of this un-replacacle piece of magnificent hardware! and then get a lab, get to the scuzzer and research it alot, i got my scuzzer cost to 25e before it was over, and at that cheap little price my Super ultra unstoppable army of security scuzzers! Muw ha ha ha ha! was gigantic and utterly, totally, virtually, wiped out their pathetic excuses for meager little stations! squatters, BAH!
    Come to my startopia website!
    The Startopian Station! or here maybe.

I"m not sure about you guy, but I finished mission 7 in one go (Yes, I finally beat mission 2). All you do is build 3 security columns in front of the door you want to breach (Make sure they are in a row.) and have around 70 guys (at least 30 Kasvagorians), and 5 security scuzzers. The rest pretty much explains itself: Any escapees get blasted by the columns, along with anybody else, your guys blast their buildings (You don't have to, but I like explosions), you capture the territory and you repeat.

Yeah, that seemed to work for me: Blanket hiring of all combat ready personel.

Me, I just put a double row of security columns infront of the bulkhead, and hire every gor i see

Yeah, but a double-row is unneeded; it's overkill. 3 S.C's are good enough, as they will be too busy with your army.

I played through mission 7 again the other day. Its frightfully easy with 100+ fuzzers and 8 security columns

told ya, an army of fuzzers does the trick, the organics run like little wimps...

"Get back out their soldier!"
    "But sir, i got shot in my head"
    "NOW!"

Not when there's another 50 behind them crowding forward. Morale lasts longer with larger armies.

true... but fuzzers blindly get their heads blown off.. i mean fight for me

That's a good point: No death payouts for scuzzers.

Unhappy Mission 7 crashes

I think I may be replying to Hand E Food but this has nothing to do with his message (sorry, but I don't know how to create a new message for a thread, the only buttons I can see are ones to create a new thread. Maybe that will get put in the right place but I don't want to take a chance that it will go somewhere else. It may not be obvious but I am new to this forum 8-) )

Anyway, I seem to be having a problem with Mission 7. Everything goes fine for a little while, then the whole thing freezes or just crashes to my Desktop. I am also finding that on any mission, if I play for a while and my decks get crowded, the video gets scrambled and I have to quit and start Startopia up again. I have installed the patch and replaced the card file. I posted a message before saying that I have an ATI Rage128 which I tried updating to the latest drivers but that made it worse than the older driver I had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 'cuz I reeaaally like Startopia.

You got the right button! You click Quote to reply to someone specifically.

What is your machine?

Have a look through the Tech FAQ - that has a few general hints to getting the most out of your video card.

One of the things to definately try is moving the "texture quality" slider down to about 25% and playing the game in a low resolution. Sometimes doing both of these helps stability a lot.

The Rage 128 is an older card, but we did test it with StarTopia. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about new drivers with new bugs :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.

Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
    You got the right button! You click Quote to reply to someone specifically.

What is your machine?
    Thanks for the tip on replying. I have a PIII 450 running Win 98. I see Tom has also replied to my message so I will check out his tip.

Originally posted by Mucky Foot
    Have a look through the Tech FAQ - that has a few general hints to getting the most out of your video card.

One of the things to definately try is moving the "texture quality" slider down to about 25% and playing the game in a low resolution. Sometimes doing both of these helps stability a lot.

The Rage 128 is an older card, but we did test it with StarTopia. Unfortunately, there's not much we can do about new drivers with new bugs :-(

TomF - Muckyfoot coder.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will take a look at the FAQ and try the low-res setting.

Scuzzer help

HELP ME! I got the patch and when i try and start the boxes disapear, i found the boxes in hardplan but where r the scuzzers? Plz HELP!

Sounds like you need to go to the options menu and disable "impostors". If that fails, click on "Safe Mode" in the video settings and see if that helps.

Also, please find the file "your gfxcard.txt" and send it to webmaster@muckyfoot.com, along with a description of your problem, and we'll have a look at it.

What are you Visual Setting set to? If the viewing range is too short, the boxes might be invisible fom more than 10 meters away! Try tuning some of these setting up (and some others down to compensate) and see if they are visible then.

Security Control

An additional function of security control is that it makes your security columns more accurate.
    You can make a throne of bayonets and sit on it, but you'll be sore tomorrow.

Here's my basic guide to conquering enemy segments. Firstly have at least one security control. The quality of the Kasvagorians manning it determines how quickly a security scuzzer can hack into segments. If possible have two or three. Secondly hire every Kasvagorian you can get your hands on. Hire a fair number of Targs, Grolians and Greys as well but make sure the greys have reasonably high skills since they will work in your sickbays if they survive the fight.

Next put at least three security columns right next to the bulkhead you are about to breach, if you don't have the space then pack up some buildings, you can rebuild them later. Put another security column right next to the bulkhead interface on your side of the room. The enemy might send a scuzzer to try and grab your room and it's hard to target reliably once the, erm, poo hits the fan.

Now open the bulkhead (declare war if you have to first). Depending on how many columns you have in place you may or may not wish to have your forces mustered at this point - it isn't really necessary if the enemy has low numbers. Wait to see the response of the enemy - if they attack en masse then muster your forces just behind the columns and wait until the fighting dies down a bit. Otherwise, or afterwards, create a muster point right next the enemies bulkhead interface then order a scuzzer to claim the segment. Provided you have enough forces you should be able to buy the scuzzer enough time to claim the segment.

While the fighting is going on it's a good idea to scout your enemies territory and hire and Kasvagorians nearby. Don't hire any that are too far away unless most of the enemy forces are engaging yours. Otherwise your new recruits will get shot at and your forces will charge to their aid. This is really, really bad as if they go too far into enemy territory their guns won't work any they will be slaughtered (costing you a fortune as well). So just hire any nearby Gor unless the enemy forces are mostly busy with you.

Unless you take a segment with a phyric victory (ie. you won, but lost a LOT of men) it's a good idea to back up a victory with a continued assault on the next room. The enemy by that time is low on men and possibly energy so they can't put up much of a fight. So as soon as you claim a segment, order the next room to be opened up. While your scuzzer is hacking the door it's a good idea to turn on any rooms that were depowered when you claimed the room (unless you don't want the room). Also watch out for any enemy scuzzers still in the segment with you as they will self destruct after a short time and can kill your troops if they are close by. Either target the scuzzers or create a muster point at a safe location.

Once you claim the segment that has the enemies energy collecter then they are out of the game. Once that happens you can go and claim their remaining rooms and equipment with impunity, just make sure you grab it before someone else does. You don't need to muck around with scuzzers when claiming a room that nobody owns. Note that this also applies to the rooms on the second and third decks as well.

Finally one trick that I've rarely had a chance to employ. If you keep an unexploded bomb in your pattern buffer you can drop the sucker right next to enemy forces in your territory. Watch for friendly fire of course but you can severly cripple an invading force like this.

Originally posted by Holywhippet
    Here's my basic guide to conquering enemy segments...
    Good on ya mate. Thanks.

Regards,
    Doug

While your post was curteous, did you have to quote the whole thing?

Originally posted by Hand-E-Food
    While your post was curteous, did you have to quote the whole thing?
    I apologize. Being a Newbie to this Forum, I'm never sure whether to push the 'Quote' or 'Reply' button to make sure that it goes as a reply to the right person. The 'Quote' took me to the bottom of it and I carried on with my reply without paying proper attention. I will be more careful in future.

Regards,
    Doug

P.S. I fixed it 8-)

Page 3 of 4 First First 1234 Last