Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Blitzball

Blitzball

I figured I'd do a duty to this forum section to get a discussion started on blitzing. I know there's divided opinion on this minigame: while I personally enjoyed it (and honestly, moreso in X-2), I know a lot of people who think otherwise.

If anything, the concept of it all is admirable: it's Spira's form of the Olympics, the one thing that keeps the continent together even as it is ravaged by Sin over and over.

Without any further ado... Blitz Off!

I loved Blitzball. Ended up getting the sigil for Wakka before even receiving his celestial weapon. Always confused me how Nimrook was practically fired after a few matches in all of my playthroughs though.

I can see the appeal in FFX-2, like the minigame being a lot quicker, but I wasn't a fan of playing the manager.

One of my favorite mini-games in Final Fantasy.

Yeah, it kind of drops you off the deep end at first -- and it can be exploited, but it's so much fun to recruit, customize, and strategize.

Not to mention eking out a buzzerbeater.

Blitzball itself wasn't the worst thing because you only *had* to play once in FFX, but I did kind of object to how ingrained it was in the plot. Maybe I'm just so thoroughly unsporty that I don't think the blitzball's soccer/rugby/waterpolo combo that interesting to follow. BUT I do think Orichalcum's point about it being like the Olympics is a nice one.

I used to hate blitzball. No idea why, its an amazing mini-game.

(I find it slightly amusing that Water doesn't like Blitzball that much.)

Looking back, maybe Olympics is a little broad of a comparison, since that's a whole bunch of sports and we only see one really big important one. The FIFA World Cup is a bit closer to what I'm getting at but the meaning's still the same: there's a whole bunch of races living in the same world, co-operating with and conflicting against each other, but it's a giant web with blitzball as a common thread.

Anyway, look at me waxing philosophical about a game within a game. :P

The first few times I played through X, I was way too lazy to read through the whole tutorial, so I would always lose that first game and never bothered with it again. But when I was doing my 100% playthrough, I had to play to get Wakka's best weapon. Once I figured it out, I loved it and ended up playing it more than the main game.

Blitzball was a little too difficult for me, I just wish it was just easier to control and do stuff on the field.

Blitzball is a sports that uses Commands. I love using Jecht Shot to win.

Am I the only one that felt Blitzball was such an amazing and in-depth minigame that it practically deserved Square to make it a separate sports game?

I would easily buy it on the spot, and I hate sports games.

200 of my first 400+ hour gamesave of FFX was easily just on time spent playing Blitzball. I was slightly diappointed how they changed it for FFX-2 :/...

Originally Posted by Zyzxx

Am I the only one that felt Blitzball was such an amazing and in-depth minigame that it practically deserved Square to make it a separate sports game?

I would easily buy it on the spot, and I hate sports games.

200 of my first 400+ hour gamesave of FFX was easily just on time spent playing Blitzball. I was slightly diappointed how they changed it for FFX-2 :/...

No, I did back in the day as well... and I'm another one who doesn't really see the appeal of the same sports game coming out year after year. Sign me up for a standalone blitz game, though.

I think my best memory was trying to play blitz in the deep end of a public outdoor pool during summer holiday a couple of times in grade school. Mind, it was more passing a beach ball filled with water that looked like one of those fruits with a face. But it was still cool!

My final quiz question from Captain Cryptic in Final Fantasy XIII-2 was, "Which underwater sport involves a ball and players swimming around the field." I was like, that's Blitzball! Thus concluded my final set of questions and earned me my fragment. Just thought it was very coincedental.
    “Turn to the light. Don't fear the shadow it creates.”

Honestly, I did not like blitzball in FFX. It was the worst mini-game for me mostly because I'm not a sports person, and blitzball is full of...sports-related things. And I just didn't understand it no matter how many times I read the tutorials haha. To this day I have not won a single blitzball game /sadlife

I spent more time playing blitzball that i did with progressing in the story lol i would usually score 16-18 points per game, with 20 points per game being my max record, that mingame was incredibly fun

Originally Posted by Illusionist
    Honestly, I did not like blitzball in FFX. It was the worst mini-game for me mostly because I'm not a sports person, and blitzball is full of...sports-related things. And I just didn't understand it no matter how many times I read the tutorials haha. To this day I have not won a single blitzball game /sadlife
    When I first played Blitzball, I was confused about how to win XD so I ended up losing the minigame too! I still havent beaten the minigame yet either... ToT

Originally Posted by Kup0
    When I first played Blitzball, I was confused about how to win XD so I ended up losing the minigame too! I still havent beaten the minigame yet either... ToT
    I beat it once and it was luck because I barely knew what I was doing.

I actually managed to win the championship during the story once, lucky as heck on that one.

Yea just like me I really feel bad because after that I stoped playing.

it's a very difficult blitz game to win though, since Wakka...... isn't that great compared to Tidus.

Originally Posted by Mokenik
    it's a very difficult blitz game to win though, since Wakka...... isn't that great compared to Tidus.
    Yea I just wish I could finish the game

Another sad life here. I just can't seem to get the hang of it no matter how many times I've tried.

I LOVED FFX Blitzball, but FFX-2 blitzball was really difficult. I never understood anything, and not being able to play sucked. One thing that should be added to a standalone blitzgame: Multiplayer. On Xbox live. If you can get enough people you could have a bunch of people playing their character.

I got hooked on Blitzball. I spent almost as much time on this mini-game as I did raising and racing chocobos in FF7. I won that tournament on the second play-through. The 'Strength Sphere' was a nice item to get so early in the game. Personally, I think the developers wrecked the mini-game in X-2. I remember asking out loud, "What the heck is THIS?" lol

i would really like to see a final fantasy blitz ball sports game with updated game play from final fantasy 10 and it would be cool to see other teams from the final fantasy universe like a team from midgar.
    Now thats a game i would buy and they could put a story behind it. wouldn't be that hard i think. post if you like the idea and feedback.

They should have made othe tutorial more easy!.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last