Thread: Computer Gaming Requirements

Computer Gaming Requirements

Computer Games - Aug says "requirements for the next year or so" will be:

1.5G P4, 256M RAM, Geforce3, 30G HDD, 32X CDROM, "any sound card", AND Win XP - altho I think a smaller HDD, slower CDROM and Win98 will do fine... but since people have been asking what the reqts for AOD will be, I thought I'd post this...

I think these specs are generally a little high - what do you think ???

Hmmm...my computer will deffinately not be able to play AOD, or any other upcoming games. Heh...my comp has Win95, I think a pentium2...very little memory(can't really remember how much) and space left. Hehe.. oh well, I was planning on playing AOD on my PS2 that I will be getting, anyways.

Thanks for sharing the info, JunoJim!

Yeah it does sound rather high. Who here actually has XP? And is P4 supposed to mean Pentium 4? And from what I've heard, 4 is nothing but crap........

I am hoping they are high! I have XP on one computer and WinME (P4) on the other. If I had to give one away, it would be the computer running XP.
    http://tombraidergal.homestead.com/files/ss10.GIF
    Old Tombraiders never die, we just fade away.

I don't have Win XP, but from the sounds of all you others here on the boards...is it really bad or something?? Just curious.

Wink Official system requirements for AOD

If you need to know the system requirements for AOD, look here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthr...=&threadid=135

Thanks, Data !!! Those are not nearly as bad as the Computer Games mag suggests... they must be lobbied by the CPU makers...

However, I'm running a 550MHz AMD, GeForce2 64M, 512MRAM, and the CPU is definately my limiting factor now, so I agree with a 1.0 GHz minimum.

I still wonder about P3 vs P4, and Win98 vs XP for gamers - any info on those, Data ???

I had XP on a computer--it wasn't available without it--and erased it. I don't know why anybody would tolerate that arrogant EULA.

I suppose Microsoft thinks they're being cute, but I found the "cartoon animal" interface was condescending to the point of being insulting.

And there are other things I dislike even more about it, but that would be getting pretty off-topic.

Anyway, the bottom line is that games that require Windows XP are games I won't buy. Period. Even AOD.

When I read the requirements Data mentioned above, I hope the PS2 is supported, because I just got one with AOD in mind.

As a PS:

Looks like I'm covered on the PC. In another thread, someone said they heard it would also be released for the PS2 (just in case). Anybody else heard about this?

I think the "old" Windows machnine will handle it. Ironically, the computer I'm on now I built for games, but I overdid it to the place that I'll have to remove some of the RAM to get Windows 98 to run.

I totally agree - !!! (I got a nice HP T45 printer for $100 from a friend who got tired of trying to get to run with XP...)

BTW - I'm running Win98 with 512MRAM - how much RAM are you talking about ??? What's the limitation / bottleneck ???

I think if you steadfastly refuse to play games on XP you are soon gonna run out of games to choose from.

I've never had a problem running any game on it, it has never crashed, and has proven to be the most versatile stable OS I've yet used.

Geez Dave - You're out there on every thread I've posted to tonite !!!

Anyhoo - I'm upgrading to a 2.0G P4 (mutha er, Motherboard Express), but still gonna run Win98SE - what'ya think will happen ???

DaveJ
    I think if you steadfastly refuse to play games on XP you are soon gonna run out of games to choose from.
    It may well come to that. Anyway, some of my favorite games involve friends sitting around a table.

Meanwhile, I got a PS2, the Linux enulators are getting better and some companies are starting to release games for Linux along with the Windows versions. "Return to Castle Wolfenstein" is a recent example.

JunoJIm
    I'm running Win98 with 512MRAM - how much RAM are you talking about ??? What's the limitation / bottleneck ???
    I can't give you an exact figure, but 384 meg was okay and 896 meg is too much. I've heard tell that 512 is considered all you'd ever need. (Like 640K once was. ) It acts like a wrap-around error, where at a certain point a counter maxes out and either returns to zero or goes negative.

It won't really be a problem for me. I have two machines, one for Windows and one for Linux. The Windows machine should be adequate for AOD. I can pull memory and boot Windows on the other machine if I want the higher CPU speed and Geforce4 card for AOD.

Why did I get that much memory? I really wanted 512 meg, but when I built the machine all they had were 128 meg strips. Later they got in the 256 meg strips, so I added one of those. Finally they got 512 meg strips so I stuck all three in. I can always use the extra RAM in another computer.

Big Grin

Originally posted by rimfire

It may well come to that. Anyway, some of my favorite games involve friends sitting around a table.

Thanks for that, rimfire!
    Had me laughing my socks off!

JunoJIm
    I'm running Win98 with 512MRAM - how much RAM are you talking about ??? What's the limitation / bottleneck ???
    I can give a bit better answer now: I'm running it at 640 meg now and it works fine. I haven't tried 768 meg yet, and may not bother.

The memory isn't bad, because it will run on any one strip or all the combinatins of two that I've tried. It just seems to come to a point where it can't deal with the number anymore.

Win98 really is the crappiest OS one could have (not counting Win95 of course). I'm installing XP in my new machine because I'm totally fed up with the poor memory management (or the lack of it) in 98. Not to mention constant lock-ups, crashes etc.

Arrow

Will some games coming out in the next year work fine on systems below the specs in the first post? Yes, it depends on the game. Some games don't need uber systems to be played on. And for some games the resolution and details can be turned down to be playable.

Personally folks, I think those specs are kind of light especially with the type of inexpensive systems out there for sale now. And parts are getting cheaper all the time. For example, Intel is cutting Pentium 4 prices on September 1st and you can be sure AMD {Maker of AthlonXP cpu's}will respond to that.

Points to be made: Win98 is yesterdays news and doesn't even take advantage of 512MB. Win2000/XP are much stabler operating systems.

If you are using Win2000 or WinXP, 128 Mb is not going to cut it. 384 MB or 512 MB is much better.