Thread: How do I make an AI GoTo an object?

How do I make an AI GoTo an object?

Rolleyes How do I make an AI GoTo an object?

How can I make an AI go to an object during a conversation? I have tried Play Sound/Action and Face, and put the object number in the first typespace, but the person don't goto the object or face it! This is aggravating.

Well, with the limitation of validity that this takes place in the test mission of me which contains weird stuff and S&R mess up of all sorts, I can give you the explanation how my pagan goes to the button that he frobs in his conversation.

Well, the conversation marker (the one that I trigger with a button to see the pagan walk to and frob his button) (not the actor), has the conversation arguments.

ActorOne
    None
    Goto object (Object Speed, Motion Tags)
    72 (that's the button's number)
    ()
    ()

ActorOne
    None
    Play sound/motions(Sound concept,sound tags,motion tags)
    ()
    ()
    WorldFrob 0, AtWaist 0, BellPull 0

With "()" being an empty line.

No guarantees that this is the way to do it.

Unhappy

ARGH!! IT WORKED!!

Thank you. I will be back presently after I kill DromEd.

Exclamation

Why do you want to kill it when it worked?

DromEd is an evil hellspawn of a program, sure, but killing it...?

Hehe... if you want to crash it another time, make a book, and set Book -> Art: " "

I've been fighting with that one yesterday, as I once again forgot to make the book out of a Plaque, a book that's title shall only pop up at the top of the screen. Ah yeah.

Thumbs Up

Just a side note. You are usually much better off using a unique object name, instead of an object number.

Just select the object. Click the "properties" button. Click on the first line displayed, which should be the object name, then click the "Edit" button. Type in a unique name for the object. Exit the dialog.

Then whenever you need to interact with that object in AIWatchObj or conversations, use the unique object name that you entered above.

You can also enter the unique object name when adding links via the links dialog, and DromEd automatically finds the object number. Very convenient.

Exclamation

Originally posted by xarax
    Just a side note. You are usually much better off using a unique object name, instead of an object number.

Just select the object. Click the "properties" button. Click on the first line displayed, which should be the object name, then click the "Edit" button. Type in a unique name for the object. Exit the dialog.

Then whenever you need to interact with that object in AIWatchObj or conversations, use the unique object name that you entered above.

You can also enter the unique object name when adding links via the links dialog, and DromEd automatically finds the object number. Very convenient.
    Great! I was giving things/AIs names just because I wanted to, and - ha! - it is going to pay off. Thanks!

Originally posted by TRoosevelt_26

Great! I was giving things/AIs names just because I wanted to, and - ha! - it is going to pay off. Thanks!
    Not only is it easier to remember <b>Henry</b> than <b>1238</b>, but Dromed also changes object numbers sometimes but it doesn't change conversations, the names always stay the same.
    Trol points always stay linked because they are linked, but conversations are triggers and not links so the numbers aren't kept track of.
    Always use names like xarax said to avoid future probs.

In The Taffer's Tower, I used Goto Object("player",,)

Of course, the player has a nasty habit of not staying in one place. Not that this is a problem, just that the AI will go to wherever the player was at the exact moment that the conversation triggered (or, at least, that part of the conversation).

The speed argument can be things like fast, slow, very fast, etc. (Can't remember the complete list.)

Using motion tags can be amusing. Try "Player, Locomote, Crouching"