Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: OT..Looking for a certain old DOS game

OT..Looking for a certain old DOS game

Question OT..Looking for a certain old DOS game

Hello Taffers
    Remeber back in um...er...?? 1982??
    It was around when pc's first started entering schools.

There was a game where you had a turret gun, and you could adjust the velocity and angle of your shot to try to hit the computers turret gun. You took turns shooting one at a time with the computer. There was also a version several years later where you were a monkey trying to throw bananas at another monkey on rooftops but the gameplay was the same. I think the monkey one ran in QBasic or something??

Anyone know what I'm talking about....and even more important..where I can get it?

If I at least knew what they were called, I could search for them myself. I've looked through about half of the sites from tBM's link a while back, but haven't found either one yet.

Thanks
    You can take our forum...but not our history
    http://home.woh.rr.com/rnmssite/statsig.jpg

Scorched Earth, I've got it, it's still fun, I'll dig it up for you

edit: here ya go

For an up to date version, try searching for a game called WORMS.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links ... Zaccheus' hospital blog

Gorilla for the banana and the monkey, and Ballistic for one of the cannon games. I may have one or both I'll check.

Gorrilla came as part of the BASIC pack in both BASIC and Q BASIC depending on your DOS Version. In 5.5 and 6 it is in Q.

Question

There was a game called "scrambler" in the early 80s. You piloted a rocket ship and dropped bombs on targets and fought figher rocket ships as you made your way from left to right across the screen.

I just did a search but couldn't find it. Anyone know of a good source for old video games?

Is there a PC version for Galaga or Xenox (I think that's the name--you pilot a silver something and lob grenade bombs across a green and brown terrain and futuristic tanks and space vehicles).

Warheads is like Scorched Earth but in space(planetary gravity fields), and it has multiplayer. For Windows.

Download Page

Thumbs Up

Anyone ever hear of the old text based game Bard's Tale?
    I have all 3 converted to PC here..still a fun game.
    The Miracle of Modern Pharmaceuticals.
    Gotta love them.

As the Grand HOO HAW of useless trivia I offer thee this plethora of OLDE titles

www.mathtools.net/Basic/Games/C_and_C++/

www.dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Freeware/Games/

Computer Games
    ... no DOS kernel on XP, but there is a DOS emulator that will run DOS ... If you go to www.zdnet.com,
    type Visual Basic runtime and select All ... My games are PG rated. ...
    www.geocities.com/hansone.geo/games.html

www.opus.co.tt/dave/

Completely FREE Software - Win 3.1/DOS General Games, page 2
    ... A superb collection of over 75 original 1980s games, most in the BASIC language (GWBasic
    included with download), which includes the famous ... DOS. Review, 677kB. ...
    www.completelyfreesoftware.com/gg2_w31.html

Cool

Gorilla

Compiled+source code..

well, I'm happy I don't have to dig thru my backup cd trying to find those things now
    I know I HAD both the banannas one and one with tanks at one point at least. Knowing me, I probably have scorched earth floating around somewhere too....

WRT bard's tale, they were certainly released on pc, and weren't text-based (although they WERE slim graphically, since, iirc, they're cga graphics).

3 was a pain to find, but I had 1 & 2 on floppy, and 1 was released on the interplay 10th anniversary colleciton. I thought I had the bard's tale construction kit around somewhere, but I can't seem to find it... maybe a friend had it? hmm...

for real text adventure goodness though, the be-all and end-all is zork.

Interplay released a package called The Ultimate RPG Archives which contains Bard's I~III as well as the Bard's Tale Construction Set.

It also contains Wasteland, StoneKeep, Underworld II, Dragon Wars(a personal favorite), Might and Magic's IV & V, and Wizardry Gold.

A wonderful package fitting of the name.

~Gman, you may want to attempt to get your old registration date back before it's too late~

Originally posted by GMan
    Is there a PC version for Galaga or Xenox (I think that's the name--you pilot a silver something and lob grenade bombs across a green and brown terrain and futuristic tanks and space vehicles).
    By Xenox I assume you mean Xenon by the Bitmap Brothers. I haven't seen a PC version, but I haven't been a PC owner for very long. You can ofcourse download the arcade version and run it using Mame, or maybe you would enjoy the Amiga versions better music.

Ahh...Bards Tale. Fond and frustrating memories. I loved the games, but finding your way around without the use of a map was a killer.

Oh and anyone who has still not played Ultima Underworld II should go download it now. Can't get it to work on XP though.

Speaking of Bard's Tale, I always thought it was so cool that the town in the game, Skara Brae, was the name of the Spirituality Town in the Ultima series.

iirc, skara brae was from an old settlement discovered in Scotland (Orkney?)

I'm not surprised you couldn't get UU2 to work under xp. heck, I couldn't get system shock 1 to run under even 95 - thankfully I still have my 486 around to play these.

I thought UU1 was a bit better though myself.

I remember that "ultimate" package there - I'm also remembering why I didn't get it, since I have everything except for stonekeep and (apparently, unless I find it somewhere) the construction kit.

Thanks for all the replys

Looks like the Scorched 3D would be excellent if I could get it to work on my computer. None of the mountain textures work right...they all look black, and I can see through them. It looks like a conflicy with my vid card??? (Voodoo3/3000)

I've tried all resolutions, and even tried messing with the settings of my card to no avail.

Maybe it's just a prob with Win98SE?? They mention Win2000 and XP, but no 9x.

Anyone able to get it to work in Win9x and/or a Voodoo card???

Scorch3D works fine on my Win98 Geforce 2. It may be because it uses DirectX 8 for some things.

Thanks for the links tBm, what a treasure trove of goodies. Got them all bookmarked in a new "games" folder.

Ha ha, Gorilla was a blast, xcom, I'd never played that before, but it sure reminded me of the very early video games. Thinking about gorilla as a precursor to Thief made me laugh out loud.

Gum Drop--yes, it WAS Xenon. That was in the days before I knew it as a Noble Gas though, so I didn't remember the title correctly. Now I will. Did a search on that, but only found XenonII which looked to be a much different game. I'll keep at it, though.

My all time favorite was ZAXON. I heard it can be found on some ARCADE selections but I have not found it yet.

It was an Arcade flight shooter and never made it to the PC.

Having the original games in the Ultimate RPG Archives is wonderful, I have them as well.

However; there were several goodies to the true enthusiast that could not be passed up. Among these are the things already mentioned but most importantly, it contained full digitised speech for the World of Xeen games.

The voice acting was superb. Reason enough to justify the then low price. I'm not sure if it's even available anymore.

Originally posted by Salvage
    Scorch3D works fine on my Win98 Geforce 2. It may be because it uses DirectX 8 for some things.
    I have had DX8.1 for quite a while now......and I just ran DxDiag and everything checks out fine.

Originally posted by GMan
    Gum Drop--yes, it WAS Xenon. That was in the days before I knew it as a Noble Gas though, so I didn't remember the title correctly. Now I will. Did a search on that, but only found XenonII which looked to be a much different game. I'll keep at it, though.
    You can find Xenon here at the Bitmap's site. I've still got most of their games for my Amiga. At the time you couldn't touch these guys, then along came Team 17 and Sensible Software.

Good call on Zaxon Blackie. That was one of the first games I bought for my C64. The isometric view was way cool.

Edit: Huh? What edit...I ain't done no stinkin' editing!

Originally posted by Gumdrop
    baught
    ...that is all.

well...maybe not....
    I tried installing that 3D Scorched in my XP laptop and the video is awesome, but the game crashes right when my first bomb goes to land.

..now if I could just combine the video from my laptop with the sound from my desktop, I'd actually be able to play.

I haven't the faintest Idea what you are talking about.

Re: Thanks for all the replys

Originally posted by RicknMel
    conflicy
    That is all, thank you and good night.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last