Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where you come from

Where you come from

I got this idea from another thread. You can tell about what your city's like, and what are some of it's better aspects.

I live in Flushing, Michigan (for those who do not know where Michigan is, it's the state that looks like a hand or a mitten ) and it's about 10 miles from Flint, which I think is the third or fourth largest city in Michigan. It's about 200 years old, and still has a Victorian feel about it.

During the winter, around Christmas, Flushing has what's known as the Candlewalk. All streets downtown are closed to traffic for this celebration. The streets are lined with candles, and I think they're the only lights you'll have outside. Some stores remain open, and serve hot cider, or hot chocolate, and some even have donuts!!! There's always a big ice carving competition, and you should see what some people are able to come up with!

Flushing is a pretty scenic city. There are two parts: Upper and Lower, literally. The city is cut in half by the Flint river, and half of the city is atop of a tall cliff. The cliff kind of evens out near downtown. The Lower part of Flushing, is amazing. It's mostly a residential area, but you should see the houses! Some are three stories, most are two. One house even has a full size (I don't know about operational) lighthouse!

We're a city of about 12,000 people, and most of the people (keyword MOST) here are really nice. Some of the houses here are 200 years old, and built by the founding family. (they had serious issues.......).

http://www.multimag.com/city/mi/flushing/

So what about your city??
    signature image

TLF lives in Drumbo. That's right smack between Belfast and Lisburn. Seriously; she has Lisburn in her address but Belfast in her phone number. Also, Drumbo is supposed to be in county Down, but TLF's address says county Antrim... ugh. Her head is spinning now...

There isn't really much in Drumbo. It's a really small area anyway, basically made up of fields and a bunch of houses. This is practically the only information she could find on Drumbo. Although it's probably the only information on Drumbo, period. And it looks wrong, too: TLF lives in Ballylesson and she's never seen any church.

Photos... later.

well then

I live in purgatory... *points to his location in his profile*
    <-- see?

Thumbs Up Leeds

The first ever moving pictures were filmed in my home city of Leeds in 1888, by Louis Le Prince.

Had it not been for the abominable British weather, the film Industry could well have been based here...but since natural sunlight was needed to light movies in the very early days...the film industry went to Hollywood instead.

Lucky escape for Leeds, I say.

For a short while longer, living in Hampshire, England, land of rural beauty and oak tree splendor.

Going home to another rural part of the US, with all the shades of living greens my parched San Diego/Arizona growing up years require to keep me happy.

Before I leave here, I want to visit Plymouth and see the very dock where my ancestors embarked for the new world in the mid 1600's. They tell me it is still there marked by a small plaque.

<---What can I say that hasn't already been said about NYC?

hmm well weymouth at one point used to b a town but now its a city...and i have no idea y. umm a lotta famous people are from the boston area and i know where the lead guitarist from aeorsmith lives

weymouth is okay. i live in south weymouth so like about a mile up my street is a blockbuster and a dunkin donuts and a cumberland farms and if i really wanted to take a long walk i culd go to the town square with THE best tuna subs EVER! umm wut else...well six flags is about 45 mins to an hour away from me so thas always fun!

boston is reeeally great and i love to go to fanual hall and theres a bunch of shops and the north end is great. and i think the original pizza ragina is still there too! verrry good pizza. theres also a 4 floor nike store and a 5 floor(i think 5) abercrombie and fitch store...i personally dont like their stuff much.

oh yah and theres plymouth plantation and plymouth rock where christopher columbus landed or w/e lol

and nantaskit beach is awesum cuz the beach is very big and they gotta carosaul!!!

o and i forgot to add we like to..
    paaahk the caaah in tha haaaahvaaahd yaaahd

Dayton, Ohio is the home of aviation's inventors, Orville and Wilbur Wright (despite the nonsense that they were from North Carolina). It is also the home of Cox Publishing, which your paper might be a part of. Finally, it is also the home of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where Air Force Materiel Command is located.

Reading in Berkshire.

Used to have 3 major industries and was known for the 3 B's.
    Biscuits - Booze (great) and Bulbs (the plant kind).
    Huntley and Palmer biscuits and their famous tins are now gone and their site is now home to Prudential Insurance. I'm not sure what happened to Suttons Seeds (think they still operate but not from Reading). We still have Courage Brewery but not at its old central location.

We also have the remains of what was a vast Abbey which, if my history of Reading serves me correctly, was mostly demolished back in the days of William the Conqueror (if anyone knows different feel free to correct me). Reading Jail stands right next door to what is left of the Abbey and was famous for Oscar Wilde being one of its inmates.

There are still some Victorian properties left but vast modernisation is taking over (not all for the good either) and the dual carriageway which was started back in the 60's and was supposed to keep the traffic away from the centre to keep congestion down is now clogged most days (so not working).

Can't think of anything else we are well known for at present.

Not a bad place to live really, the Thames running through the centre is nice and we do still have quite a few green parks so not all bad.

i love talking about sydney
    sydney, australia of course. "home of the 2000 olympic games" which i am sick and tired of hearing about!
    it's generally a sunny city. naturally. although it tends to be pretty windy too alot of the time. summer can be unbearably hot (the same as the rest of the country) but winter is nice and cool.
    it's a densely populated city, which can be a bit of a hassle with the noise from planes and all. we have a curfew. no plane in or out of the airport between the hours of 11pm-6am. too many disturbed residents. sometimes they fly over my house. it's quite annoying.
    BUT sydney has to be the most interesting city ever. i mean we have the coolest opera house ever. and of course, the harbour bridge.
    the best places to shop are in newtown
    the fountains in darling harbour are fun to swim in. provided you dont get caught. we have a huuuuuge chinatown too. it's so cute. all these little asian style buildings.
    i wish i lived in the city, not in suburbia. although i dont live far from the water (about 5-10mins from brighton le-sands) i hate my corner of sydney. it's a haven for people in screechy cars with thumping music. ugh.
    i'd have to say the best thing is the music scene. lots of gigs, lots of great bands. lots of fun
    have i won you over? everyone come and visit sydney

Definitely won me over!!! I've always wanted to go to Sydney. My aunt was there about three years ago, and loved it. I think I remember her telling me about this huge aquarium there that was just amazing. I'm jealous that you live there!

Big Grin City of Dragonians: Dragonia Prime

I live in Dragonia Prime, in the beautiful city planet of Dragonia Prime. You can see the ocean and river Shen'Claw here, that and a lot of traffic. Not to mention the Imperial Senate building and the Equatorial SpaceStation running around the eqautor. If you want a full description of the planet, here it is. Everyone is nice, except for the foreign politicians...

deepest pits of hell. lots of politicians, evil cats, and lich-like hamsters here. oh and a 17 year old male student.

Originally posted by Azuriel
    deepest pits of hell.
    I hear it's hot there around this time of year. And watch out for those lawyers, they're tricky ones.

Originally posted by Dracoraptor

I hear it's hot there around this time of year. And watch out for those lawyers, they're tricky ones.

argh...

I`M GONNA SUE YOU!!!!!

Originally posted by Calico
    .......if anyone knows different feel free to correct me......
    Thanks. Dont mind if I do.

A potted history of my home town

The name 'Reading' is traditionally accepted as being Saxon for "(Place of) Readda's People", the name may be Celtic Rhydd-Inge or "Ford over the River" which fits the town's topography rather well. The river would, of course, be the Kennet, not the Thames.
    The town had a minor Saxon mint during Edward the Confessor's reign, when Corff and Brihtric the Moneyers lived there.
    Reading Abbey was founded by King Henry I in 1121 as a private mausoleum for his family. It was finally completed in 1164, forty-three years later. It was consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas A'Beckett, who would later become a saint.
    Reading was where the oldest recorded British song, Sumer is icumen in, was written.
    After the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530's, the Abbot's House became the palace of Henry VIII for a short time. The Abbey's Inner Gateway is one of the few remnants of this once great house still standing today. It was the original home of the Abbey School and was attended by Jane Austin.
    The other substantially intact Abbey building that remains today is the dormitory of the pilgrims' hospitium or guesthouse of St. John the Baptist. This stands beside the path through St. Laurence's churchyard. It later became the abode of the Royal Grammar School of Henry VII (now Reading School), Stables for Henry VIII's horses , the Barracks of Civil War Soldiers and, in 1892, the home of University College Reading (now the University of Reading)
    The Archbishop of Canterbury (1633+), William Laud, was born in Broad Street, in 1573. His father was one of Reading's many clothiers and he sent him to Reading School.
    Reading was essentially for parliament during the Civil War, and was originally garrisoned, in 1642, by Henry Marten MP, Lord of Hinton Waldrist and several other North Berkshire Manors. However, with reports of approaching Cavaliers, he quickly abandoned the undefended town. After this, Reading became the largest Royalist garrison outside Oxford with three thousand soldiers. By the time the parliamentarians decided to besiege Reading, it was highly fortified. The Earl of Essex made siege to the town for some ten days in April 1643. The gunfire was fierce, but the Roundheads managed to discover plans for Royalist reinforcements from Oxford and headed them off. With no relief force the town's garrison was forced to surrender. It was during the Civil War that much damage occurred to the Abbey. Even more was done by builders scavenging for materials to rebuild after the war.
    Reading has been home to numerous distinguished inhabitants. Anthony Addington was an 18th century doctor who lived in London Street, he was appointed physician to the mad King George III, who recovered for a while under his watchful eye.
    Before she moved to Grazeley in 1806, Mary Russell Mitford lived, with her parents, in the London Road, in a fine mansion opposite the end of Kendrick Road: a plaque on the wall records her residence. Mary was an author, famous, not only in Berkshire but throughout England and America, for writing such works as Our Village and Belford Regis. Her father was a hopeless gambler and Mary was obliged to write to keep the family together.
    In the early 1840s, the Father of Photography, William Fox-Talbot, set up the first mass production photographic laboratory in Russell Terrace. Another plaque records this. He was producing the first book of photos, but the locals thought his assistants were forgers!
    William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania, had connections with Reading. He attended the classical-temple-looking church in London Street and his ghost was said to haunt the old London Street Bookshop next door.
    Another well-known resident was Oscar Wilde who was imprisoned in Reading Gaol for two years in 1895 for his social indiscretions. He never wrote again, save for his Ballad of Reading Gaol.
    Joseph Huntley moved to Reading in 1811 and he and his son, Thomas, took on 72 London Street as a bakery, eleven years later. They cashed in on the coaching trade of the Crown Inn, opposite, by sending over freshly baked biscuits for travellers to buy.
    Another son, Joseph, set up an ironmongery and whitesmith's shop (later Huntley, Boorne & Stevens), and began making them fancy biscuit tins.
    George Palmer, the famous Reading benefactor, joined the bakery in 1841, and hence it became Huntley & Palmers, now World famous for their biscuits.
    William Blackall Simonds had founded the Simonds Brewery back in 1785. The original brewery was in Bridge Street and was taken over by Courage in 1960. The new Courage Brewery, down by the M4, is now the largest in Europe.
    Sutton Seeds had arrived in 1807.
    Another great commodity for which Reading was famous in the Victorian Age was Reading Sauce. Very like Worcester Sauce, it was even more popular in its day. Sadly the demand gradually declined this century and the company eventually went bust.

There is more but I don't wish to bore anyone any further.

The area I live in is the official home (and prefferred living place) of the wood tick and deer tick.

Big Grin

My town, Gilroy, proclaims itself the Garlic Capitol of the World. Every year on the last full weekend of July we have a 3-day Garlic Festival. Next year we will celebrate the 25th anniversary of the festival.

http://www.gilroyvisitor.org/map.html

And this year, in a town very near to Gilroy, called Hollister we will be having the 36th Annual Renaissance Pleasure Faire (the original northern California version). The wench in blue will be ready to crack her whip!

http://renfair.com/nocal/index.php

Hey Jewel !!!
    You were just on the world news, this morning! (is that redundant?) The CBS Sunday Morning article was about "how people have festivals". Both the US and world wide. They spent a lot of time at the Garlic festival. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM I do love Garlic!!

i live here

zoom in

1194. Richard I granted Stony Stratford the right to hold a market.
    1215. King John stayed in the town with his retinue, issuing letters, patents and writs.
    1290. Edward I stayed in Stony Stratford with Queen Eleanor's funeral cortege, and erected the Eleanor Cross.
    1380. Richard II stayed in Stony Stratford.
    1409. Henry IV held court in the town.
    1464. Edward IV courted his future bride from the town.
    1483. the uncrowned Edward V - one of the Two Princes - was abducted from the Rose and Crown - as mentioned in Shakespeare's Richard III.
    1516. Margaret of Scotland stayed in Stony Stratford.
    Henry VIII visited several times; 1525, 1531, 1540.
    Theophilus Eaton, member of a puritan family prominent in founding the colonies of Massachusetts and Connecticut (and himself the first Governor of New Haven) was born in Stony Stratford in 1590.
    1600; The Horseshoe (or Lyon and Horseshoe) Inn mentioned in 'Sir John Oldcastle', a play attributed to Shakespeare.
    Charles I visited the town during the Civil War.
    May 1644; the region's last major Civil War skirmish was fought in the town.
    Charles II occasionally visited Stony Stratford en route to his hunting lodge in Puxley.
    Benjamin Holloway, prominent Anglican divine and noted scientist, was born in Stony Stratford in 1691.
    Stony Stratford develops its own lace pattern, called Butterfly.
    Samuel Johnson, author of the first dictionary, stayed at The Hotel.
    John Wesley visited Stony Stratford three times, recorded as preaching beneath the elm tree in Market Square on 30 July 1777. He said of the town "Stony by nature, Stony by name".
    Mid 18thC - Mid 19thC - The Coaching Era; coining the phrase ' and Bull story' and the nursery rhyme 'Ride a horse to Banbury Cross'.
    June 1792; the meeting to launch the Grand Junction Canal was held in The Bull Hotel.
    Market Square painted by the artist Hassel in 1812.
    The 19thC authoress George Eliot was related to the Parrots of Tower House, Stony Stratford. The town features in Adam Bede.
    Mid 1800s. Hayes Boatyard, London Road, began producing ocean-going vessels.
    Stony Stratford dance teacher Joseph Hambling, who had a school in Church Street, was the model for Charles ens's Mr Turveydrop in Bleak House. ens stayed in the town on several occasions.
    1882; the bell 'Great Paul' was hauled through Stony Stratford on its way to St Paul's Cathedral in London.
    The world's largest trams (each holding 100 people) began operating between Stony Stratford and Wolverton.
    General Booth, founder of the Salvation Army, visited Stony Stratford in one of the first motor cars in the country.
    Charles de Gaulle stayed at Pitmans House during World War II.
    Queen Elizabeth II visited Stony Stratford in 1966.
    John Habgood, present Archbishop of York, was born at Wolverton House, in 1927, and subsequently moved to Calverton House.

chuffy
    http://www.angelfire.com/retro/monkey24/sigrazman.txt
    we are all lying in the gutter, but only some of us are looking at the stars.

KoolKat Guest

Big Grin I bet you haven't heard of this place...

Langholm in the Scottish Borders

or to be exact:

4 Holmwood Crescent, Langholm, Dumfriesshire, Scotland, DG13 OPU, UK.

Wink I'm originally From ..

http://stlouis.missouri.org/heritage/

St. Louis, Missouri. Every person on the planet (especially DaveJ, Deekman and staticon) knows our most distinguished product: BUDWEISER
    And I bet Claymore MacBran has eschewed a few pints, also. (Though they're not served in pints or yards!)

I live in *pleasanton*. Lol. What a silly name. It isn't quite that pleasant. It's nice..but terribly boring!!

I've lived here all my life(all 15 yrs, ) and in this very same house.

Hmmm...special things about Pleasanton? Ack. I read somewhere that we have the oldest running railroad, or something...but I don't believe that.

We hold the honorable Alameda County Fair each year() and I have sang there a few times with other students of my voice teacher.

John Madden owns buildings downtown..or something like that...

Re: I'm originally From ..

Originally posted by PtTe2
    http://stlouis.missouri.org/heritage/

St. Louis, Missouri. Every person on the planet (especially DaveJ, Deekman and staticon) knows our most distinguished product: BUDWEISER
    And I bet Claymore MacBran has eschewed a few pints, also. (Though they're not served in pints or yards!)
    I might be going to St.Louis in May!!! Keyword might. It's an orch trip, but I might not be able to go because of MEAP testing.....stupid tests!!

Cool It's a BIG City!

Cool, Aquarius! It's a pretty big city, don't let the stated population of 365,000 fool ya. There's actually 3 million in the Greater Metropolitan Area! One of the things I miss most of all is Powell Hall! (and any other culture, now that I think about it!)
    http://www.slso.org/

Have a great time if you go!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast