Thread: XP on start up menu

XP on start up menu

XP on start up menu

Getting used to XP. Can anyone answer some questions about what to keep on the start up. Lots of stuff checked off. Is there anything, that should or should not be checked off,
    The only one I see that I recognize is Rundll.32
    Even though this thing can handle it all, I hate to have a lot of crap on my start up.
    Thanks.

I don't use XP, so I can only speak of generalities. Try to determine what tasks are required by your antivus software (e.g., NAV for Norton) and the system (don't know what they are). Uncheck all the others. If something doesn't work, I think you can always boot up in safe mode and check it back on. You might try the safe mode bootup before making any changes. If that works, then you can proceed to uncheck things with impunity and then get them back if your decisions turn out to be wrong.

3. Author of :-
    Thief Book Wizard v2.2
    Thief 2 Objects List (versions 1, 2 and 3)
    FM's : Bassett's Keep, The Ring, The Game, Karras' Diary, Secret Weapon and co Author Mixed Messages.

I have the builders patience on my side!
    http://www.spankdonkey.com/jamming/view.php/99.png

Go:
    Start>Run>Msconfig

do not change anything in "Services", but you should be ok changing the things in "Startup".

<small>If it breaks, it aint my fault <---disclaimer</small>

Oh come now, I have to blame someone here.
    Thanks for the info guys.

That's an excellent guide Thorin (isn't that site great?). I've had no trouble running machines after editing the services using that guide, but be sure to be careful what you change in there (pay particular attention to what type of connection uses each service if you use your machine for mltiple connection types).

I highly recommend editing the services if you're on a broadband connection and/or concerned about security, or if you're just trying to squeeze out that extra drop of performance.