Thread: What is True Darkness?

What is True Darkness?

So I've played Dissidia and Duodecim and I was under the impression I finished them, but I still don't fully understand what happened at the end. The heroes got their crystals and it turns out they were too late and Cosmos says something to the effect of "What they must know is true darkness" before Chaos burned her to a crisp, which led me to believe there was something fake, perhaps, about the general murkiness of things... At the end, all the heroes go back to their homeland and I'm left wondering what happened to Cosmos and her ominous parting words. Did I miss something?

um ... maybe becasuse they was gonna fade in darkness forever?

The crystals that each character gets takes away every inch of Cosmos powers, so she disappeared.

Originally Posted by Symbiosis

The crystals that each character gets takes away every inch of Cosmos powers, so she disappeared.

But then it almost doesn't matter if she dies or not because they still get to go home (and how would they know 'true' darkness there?)...unless another Dissidia comes out with a plot to get the goddess of light back.

hmmm ... yeah that would be very interesting

True Darkness...

Losing the one you were fighting for.

knowing that your actions caused the destruction of the goddess (it being her will or not isn't the real point)

not sure whether to believe that knowledge because it came from the mouths of your enemies

struggling, knowing that every second is a battle of will, for if you waver, you will dissapear as surely as your goddess did

guilt, despair, hopelessness, that is true darkness. Before they fought against the darkness they could see, the darkness in their enemies.. but they never had to face the darkness within themselves...

Wow Gaia, I was really swept away by your deep answer and then I read the "Don't mind me...I'm just spazzing out in the corner" XD

That makes a lot of sense, the true darkness is within them, the knowledge that their actions caused the death of the one who sent for their help. If that's the case, the game just got a lot more depressing -.-

Originally Posted by LadyAlaska
    Wow Gaia, I was really swept away by your deep answer and then I read the "Don't mind me...I'm just spazzing out in the corner" XD

That makes a lot of sense, the true darkness is within them, the knowledge that their actions caused the death of the one who sent for their help. If that's the case, the game just got a lot more depressing -.-

O.o.......... -_-

well if you ask me cosmos was evil as well.

World B, the setting of Dissidia, is a false world. A fantasy, if you will, where the forces of light (Cosmos) and darkness (Chaos) are locked in an eternal conflict. Cosmos the Goddess of Order sought an end to this conflict, and in her wisdom realized that while light and darkness are opposing forces, they are two sides of the same coin and that one cannot exist without the other (a point that is greatly elaborated upon in Final Fantasy III). Cosmos instilled her warriors with her light through the power of the crystals, fully realizing that the process would weaken her and ultimately allow for her defeat at the hands of Chaos, thrusting World B into a state of true darkness. However, even the faintest light shines its brightest in the darkest night, and it was Cosmos' hope that her legacy, the Warriors who now carried her light within them, would be tempered by this darkness and find the strength and courage within themselves to finally defeat Chaos. At this point the balance between light and darkness would truly be broken, finally ending the fantasy that was World B and allowing her warriors to return to the reality of their respective worlds.

Originally Posted by justanotherjosh
    World B, the setting of Dissidia, is a false world. A fantasy, if you will, where the forces of light (Cosmos) and darkness (Chaos) are locked in an eternal conflict. Cosmos the Goddess of Order sought an end to this conflict, and in her wisdom realized that while light and darkness are opposing forces, they are two sides of the same coin and that one cannot exist without the other (a point that is greatly elaborated upon in Final Fantasy III). Cosmos instilled her warriors with her light through the power of the crystals, fully realizing that the process would weaken her and ultimately allow for her defeat at the hands of Chaos, thrusting World B into a state of true darkness. However, even the faintest light shines its brightest in the darkest night, and it was Cosmos' hope that her legacy, the Warriors who now carried her light within them, would be tempered by this darkness and find the strength and courage within themselves to finally defeat Chaos. At this point the balance between light and darkness would truly be broken, finally ending the fantasy that was World B and allowing her warriors to return to the reality of their respective worlds.
    w-w-w-wow......that was...wow ..... that's.....a...compltely awsome answer,,,,, very cool im compltely blown away...^^

Originally Posted by justanotherjosh

Much thanks! I kind of felt like a noob because I was really hung up on her words (after hearing her say it so many times) and I couldn't get them to make sense, but after your reflection, I now understand what she meant.

(wistles)

I thought that "true darkness" meant hopelessness. I think Cosmos put the heroes in a "sink or swim" situation to see if they could use the light Cosmos left in the crystals to defeat Chaos.