Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: OT..Mensa

OT..Mensa

Thumbs Up OT..Mensa

Got this email tonight..
    http://www.mensa.org/index.html
    there is a test to take there..interesting..i took it..time for me to stop playing games and hit the books..
    13 out of 30

Sort of half intelligence, have knowledge test. For example, no matter how intelligent you are, you have to have a good vocabulary to know of certain words being words!

25 of 30.

I have taken lots of similar tests in the past. My father always had Mensa books around, as well as puzzle books of a similar nature, and I would spend hours on them.

I always do well at problem solving, but I am lacking in the creativity department.

Thanks for the link Apache. Very entertaining. I missed many of the anagrams and word stuff because I ran out of time (30 minutes). It takes me too long to unscramble those. Math came through. 20 / 30

Smile

Hm... one of the better tests of that kind on the web, but it has a lot of extremely language-dependant items. (or I became a bit rusty. Hmm... no. The problem was that I had to read the questions more times than I would have had to do in my native language, and no chance at all for the verbal factor (I'm bad at them in any language, hehe.) Hm... I'm still rusty, however.)

Thumbs Up

Mensa is a very well known and established.
    The Honest Thief - FMs, screenshots, DromED, links ... Zaccheus' hospital blog

I got 26, but ran out of time on a couple of the word ones. I usually have more trouble with mathy stuff, but they were easy and the word ones tricky, I found. I wasn't even close on the two unscramblings. I also want to argue with the judges that I found an alternate correct answer for one of the questions, which I won't reveal here until everyone has had a go.

Thanks for the link, Apache, it was a lot of fun. I've tossed around the idea of applying for Mensa a few times, but most of the bigger tests I've tried suggest I'm somewhere on the border of eligibility , and the tests cost money as does the joining fee, and I have enough of a social life already without joining a club, and while I enjoy hanging about with bright people (hey, I'm here ain't I?), I'm not su sure about haning about with bright people who *define* themselves by their intelligence - I'm a happy husband and Dad first, and someone who likes to read and game and write... being somewhat (borderline!) bright is a long way down the list of who I am, IMO.

Bravus

Originally posted by bravus
    I also want to argue with the judges that I found an alternate correct answer for one of the questions, which I won't reveal here until everyone has had a go.
    now I'm curious! My "alternate" was on the January=20 question, but I don't really think my reasoning is as good as theirs, but it wasn't just a GUESS, but some little reasoning

22 out of 30, though I've taken Mensa tests before (my dad got me a book with a bunch of tests in it) so it should be a little less than that if it were my first time like most of you.
    PS I don't know if any of you remember me, but I used to be here a lot. My computer was hacked and it took forever to get it fixed so it would even turn on correctly.
    ~Danventry

23/30...I stopped after about 19 minutes and submitted. Left 4 blank as I cuoldn't guess at the word scrambles. This kind of stuff alternately entertains me and frustrates me. Most of what I missed was the word stuff, which surprised me as the obtuse math usually trips me up on these things. The unscramblings really flustered me, I'm usually Ok at that kind of stuff. The January 20 one was a head slapper, I missed that one too then felt foolish when I saw the answer.

Wow Bravus, that's a high score. I got 23/30, which I believe ties me with clayman for the absolutely perfect score, though.

Bravus, which number did you think had two answers? I too found the math easy and the language-based questions difficult. Ran out of time on the scrambling puzzles.

This spring I was playing Scrabble with my mom, who usually trounces me. I was playing around with "yen" but it just wouldn't fit across a "triple word" square. I was just about to bunt with "yen" when "doyenne" just popped into my head. Got a great word with all seven tiles, easily put me over the triple square, and I got to enjoy a rare victory over mom.

(I know, it's sad when you have to rely in life on beating mom--it's just that she is really good. What's next, maybe I'll challenge her to a Thief level ).

Cool

19 out of 30.... now I know I'm as dumb as a rock.
    http://blizzard.com/images/war3/item...of-shadows.gifLoyalty above all else... except honor.
    I went to the Cradle and all I got was this stupid t-shirt. Hey, is this blood?

Originally posted by Whatz His Name
    19 out of 30.... now I know I'm as dumb as a rock.
    I got 19/30.

I've also got an alternative answer for question 16.

All you DromED heads out there:
    I hope you all got question 27 right (How many four sided figures are in this diagram? )

Originally posted by Danventry
    PS I don't know if any of you remember me, but I used to be here a lot. My computer was hacked and it took forever to get it fixed so it would even turn on correctly.
    Sure we remember you!

OK, it shouldn't mess things up if I post my *incorrect* (in the scorers terms!) answer to question 16. I said it was 'tea': a tealight is a little flat candle (i.e. a cylinder whose long axis is shorter than its diameter). It wasn't what they were looking for, but it does work, at least for Aussies and probably Poms. Should have remembered it was an American quiz though!

Bravus

i got 13 of 30. the test is unfair, especially on the questions that ask what word can go in front of all of these......the word i wrote in WILL go in front of them. just becuase i didnt use thier word im wrong? bull....!

Bravus, in US English we have "teatime", but not "teabreak". I've heard "tealight" but it didn't appear in my dictionary, so I don't know whether it's a contraction or not.

amievil, just curious, what did you come up with as yours?

Question

Originally posted by amievil?
    i got 13 of 30. the test is unfair, especially on the questions that ask what word can go in front of all of these......the word i wrote in WILL go in front of them. just becuase i didnt use thier word im wrong? bull....!
    i'm with your..to me it seemed like there were a few trick questions thay could go another way.

Originally posted by GMan
    Bravus, in US English we have "teatime", but not "teabreak". I've heard "tealight" but it didn't appear in my dictionary, so I don't know whether it's a contraction or not.

amievil, just curious, what did you come up with as yours?
    I checked the dictionary online ..not there either..very strange..i know it is a real word..well, it has to be.
    The Miracle of Modern Pharmaceuticals.
    Gotta love them.

gman, to be honest i dont remember what i put in heh... ive been busy since i posted my response and now i cant remember what i came up with. i just think that there can be more than one answer to those questions. i also didnt take the test too seriously

oh and tealight should be written as tea light, making it two words. same as teabreak....tea break. at least thats my opinion. but there has got to me more words than just "day"

Hi again all. 'Teabreak' I think is more an Australianism, an alternative for the increasingly inaccurate 'smoko'! It might be an unusual construction, but I didn't think it was too much of a stretch. Didn't find tealight in Merriam-Webster (which is very 'Merkin), but Google yields lots of hits, and they're all the exact definition I gave above, so that must prove something. I did the Google thang for 'teabreak', and found a few, though intriguingly some of the top ones were in Japanese...!?

Anyway, I guess their answer works better, but my response and amievil's suggest that this mightn't be a particularly good design for a question... or maybe it just proves we're sore losers!

Bravus

I got 3 out of 30

14/30....in 22 minutes. Left a few of the word things blank cause I thought it would be wrong to just guess and maybe get lucky. My fave questions was the math problem with the fruit. Was scratching my head 'till I relised (I think) you have to look at the answers to really be sure. From the chart I could tell cherrys and strawberries were either 2 or 3 but could not figure for sure which was which. When I finally looked at the possible answers there was only one possibilty so that's the way I went. Did anybody figure for sure which was which w/o looking at the possible answers?

Thanks Apache. That was fun. Even though Mensa is sure to not want me.

I got 19. I left a few blank. Didn't even want to mess with the scrambles.

SlyFoxx, I don't think there's enough information in the matrix alone to determine whether it's cherries or strawberries that is 2 or 3: it's actually the fact that only a certain answer is available that pins down which is which.

Bravus

Page 1 of 2 12 Last