Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last

Thread: So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

I played Final Fantasy XIII for the first time back in January, and I finished the game (even got the ultimate weapons for everyone!) in a month. I honestly, really, enjoyed the game.

Yeah, I'm THAT person.

I started the sequel, and to be honest...I didn't want to like it. I didn't like the new system of Paradigm Packs for monsters, and I am definitely not a fan of how the game seemed to just latch onto the basics of Final Fantasy XIII's world and use bits and pieces of it.

Little by little, however, it has definitely grown on me. I actually am starting to care about Serah and Noel...even if I am still wishing that Noel was a bit more than two-demensional at times.

I am about to enter into Academia 4XX now, and I can honestly say I am excited about it.

Anyone else start to feel the same way?

I enjoyed playing it. I love the monster system and how we can infuse abilities from other monsters into our monsters.

The one big thing is that I wish that the storyline-DLC wasn't available from the get-go, or that there was a warning included of when it would be proper to play it...

The Lightning DLC (according to the Twitter SE people), is meant to be played AFTER the game is completed...and yet it was available for me to do from the very beginning v.v;

Me too! I really liked XIII. But I had my doubts when I first heard the plot of XIII-2. To be honest, my expectations weren't very high for it. But after playing it, it exceeded my expectations. I mean, sure there's improvements that could have been made here and there. But overall, it's a very solid entry in the series.

Only complaint i really have is that it was too short. I beat this game in a fraction of the time it took to 100% FF13. I have everything possibly obtainable in this game. Within 4 days i achieved that. Why why why?! I waited how long for another FF game and now i'm back in the same position waiting for Versus 13.

Originally Posted by Cory

Only complaint i really have is that it was too short. I beat this game in a fraction of the time it took to 100% FF13. I have everything possibly obtainable in this game. Within 4 days i achieved that. Why why why?! I waited how long for another FF game and now i'm back in the same position waiting for Versus 13.

Have you considered doing a second playthrough -- perhaps without using the Crystarium to give yourself a new challenge? I found myself doing those low-level type challenges while waiting for the next Final Fantasy to materialize.

It can help with the wait.

good for you. XIII-2 is really a great game. you just need to put all prejudice aside.

Originally Posted by Earth

Originally Posted by Cory

Have you considered doing a second playthrough -- perhaps without using the Crystarium to give yourself a new challenge? I found myself doing those low-level type challenges while waiting for the next Final Fantasy to materialize.

It can help with the wait.

I am surprised at the game length as well, though I think that speaks more to the game design than anything...its not difficult at all, and there really isn't much need to grind or much filler to it. I'm already in Chapter four, and I have barely put 20 hours into it and I'm doing EVERYTHING I can along the way, sub-quest wise.

If you want a real challenge, go play Final Fantasy IX, and go get yourself the Excalibur II...stupid, STUPID sword...*mutters*

I didn't really like XIII, but XIII-2 is a huge improvement.

I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, I love XIII-2 simply because it's Final Fantasy and I adored XIII. I had really high expectations for it and character-development wise, it kinda flopped...all the relationships were rather lukewarm. I didn't care about Noel until the half-way point and even then, it was meh (I promise I won't start a rant on the others, although my fingers are itching). The battle system and monster taming got an A+ plus from me, along with all the cool fragment skills, but like it's been expressed before, I wish it took longer to play. By the time I got the first Lightning recruit, I had nothing to do. Replaying's ok until you've tried all other dialogue options.

Originally Posted by LadyAlaska

I've got mixed feelings. On one hand, I love XIII-2 simply because it's Final Fantasy and I adored XIII. I had really high expectations for it and character-development wise, it kinda flopped...all the relationships were rather lukewarm. I didn't care about Noel until the half-way point and even then, it was meh (I promise I won't start a rant on the others, although my fingers are itching). The battle system and monster taming got an A+ plus from me, along with all the cool fragment skills, but like it's been expressed before, I wish it took longer to play. By the time I got the first Lightning recruit, I had nothing to do. Replaying's ok until you've tried all other dialogue options.

I guess my low expectations helped me like it a lot more :P. Yeah, I didn't care about Noel either, until the whole cutscene with him in the Dying World. Yep, the story is kind of short...

I loved XIII, and was super excited for this game until I heard it was just Noel and Serah. So I actually had kind of low expectations when I started it.

I ended up liking Serah pretty early on, then I started liking Noel about halfway through. I really missed the other characters though.

I agree that it was way too short, so that's why I'm trying to catch every monster possible right now.

I will say that the graphic and the story line never fail to impress but the battle system is very boring, i miss being able to equip the characters with body armor and actually being able to fight with the team. change it into an adventure game at this point. the last truely good ff was 10. Yes I am a true ff fan and have played all with the exception of 11. I know that some will think i'm hating and those who agree. I will alway play ff I just need more out of the battle system.

To each their own, I suppose. I though X was miserable by FF standards.

I tought VIII were the most bad FF game ever, each one has his own opinion. I like FF 13-2 pretty much

I honestly don't know why certain people down right hate this awesome game, but whatever. I'm not going to try to indoctrinate you into loving the amazing battle system, great graphics, and awesome story... I started off on FF XIII, so maybe the "new" generation on FF fans like the new games that are being produced?

Anyway, whatever gets you through the night.

-RGC

Ratchet, well since you have started off on FF XIII that is prob why you like it so much, I started off on final fantasy 3 aka "ff 6", and I personally still think that is the best in the series. You should def try the older ones and I believe your point of view will change on 13. All the older games have a better story, gameplay, and characters. Graphics are the only thing it lacks but that is ok since I would trade all the graphics in the world for great gameplay. Start off on ff 6, then possibly 7 and 4 and you will see why those are great.

Originally Posted by Ratchet
    I honestly don't know why certain people down right hate this awesome game, but whatever. I'm not going to try to indoctrinate you into loving the amazing battle system, great graphics, and awesome story... I started off on FF XIII, so maybe the "new" generation on FF fans like the new games that are being produced?

-RGC
    I started with FFXIII as well and I enjoy the battle system. But I do understand how longstanding fans feel though. Maybe FFversusXIII will draw from some of those original roots to introduce a more widely accessible system.

Originally Posted by Kevin140

Ratchet, well since you have started off on FF XIII that is prob why you like it so much, I started off on final fantasy 3 aka "ff 6", and I personally still think that is the best in the series. You should def try the older ones and I believe your point of view will change on 13. All the older games have a better story, gameplay, and characters. Graphics are the only thing it lacks but that is ok since I would trade all the graphics in the world for great gameplay. Start off on ff 6, then possibly 7 and 4 and you will see why those are great.

I started on VI too, almost 15 years ago, and XIII ended up being one of my favorites. I think you're right in that playing the others would be beneficial to get a better perspective on the franchise, but I wouldn't necessarily paint XIII as being objectively worse. For instance, I'd never say X or VII had better characters, story, or gameplay, but to each their own, a lot of people like those the best.

Originally Posted by D'Andre
    Originally Posted by Ratchet

-RGC

I started with FFXIII as well and I enjoy the battle system. But I do understand how longstanding fans feel though. Maybe FFversusXIII will draw from some of those original roots to introduce a more widely accessible system.

Neither VS XIII or any future form of FF have to draw original roots, I mean worlds of FF classic can't be reborn into modern RPG imo but if they managed one it will feel a lot different from what people expect.

i dont know why you guys dislike ff its a good game and i like it.

playstation media server

I Played all Final Fantasy's except 3,4...i enjoyed all of them, all the way to 13-2. Personally i think 5 and 7 are the best!

LOOKING FORWARD TO FFXIV 2.0!

If you're just saying this, why don't you just keep it up for yourself only? The thread is nothing useful, nor helping "other people".

Originally Posted by Kevin140

I started on FFI, then VI, then IV, then VII, VIII, IX, Tactics, X, XII, XIII, XIII-2. The battle system in XIII and XIII-2 is my favorite in the series, and in any RPG I've played (which is a much longer list). I also think XIII's combat gameplay is among the deepest in the series from a strictly technical point of view (XIII-2 less so due to balance issues, although the harder DLC content is impressive).

Therefore, I find your conclusions questionable, because I represent a direct counter-example.

Incidentally, VI is awesome, but that's for reasons other than the merely decent combat system.

t~

If anything, VI's broken combat and inexusably easy gameplay is the game's biggest flaw.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... Last