Page 11 of 11 First First ... 7891011

Thread: So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?

Originally Posted by Daniolaut

Originally Posted by Gustavo

I see, well for me at first I could not like the idea, I mean from the way xiii ended and then they go all out with time travel and goddes never evern mentioned before and playing as Serah, just when I was starting to like some of the characters, and then boom, completely different stuff in the sequel, it felt forced, and it still does, guess they were just trying to build something to make a solo game for lightning or stuff like that.

The goddess Etro was mentioned in FFXIII, as well as Valhalla, more info on Cocoon, Pulse, The Seeress, and everything found in FFXIII-2 except the specific time travel aspect. This was a gift from Etro, given to Noel and Serah.

Anyone who claims there are "plotholes" obviously didnt read any of the in-game dialog in the menu. There are nuggets of information there, and the lore in the FFXIII series is phenominal.

I personally loved FFXIII-2 and enjoyed it more than any game I have ever played. I am about to type up a complete review about it if youre interested. (I'll call it "Final Fantasy XIII-2 best game of all time")

excuse me dear sir, tell me exactly when and where in game dialogue, I said game dialogue, not any kind of datalog in wich I couldnt find a mention of etro either, is the name of the so called goddes Etro mentioned in FFXIII? please tell me and if possible give a video or screenshot.

excuse me dear sir, tell me exactly when and where in game dialogue, I said game dialogue, not any kind of datalog in wich I couldnt find a mention of etro either, is the name of the so called goddes Etro mentioned in FFXIII? please tell me and if possible give a video or screenshot.

To start with, if you don't want to read the datalog information then that's completely on you. The datalog provides information that it would be difficult to provide during the course of the main story given both the nature of the narrative and the scope of the world's history, and having it in the game means people aren't going to miss out on some key piece of lore because they forgot to talk to missable NPC #4,560 twelve times. As for Etro she is never referred to by name in spoken dialog, instead being called 'the Goddess' out loud as she is (as far as the humans of the setting know) the only female deity.

In the Datalog she is mentioned oftened, and once by name that I recall:

[IV Heavenly Deciet]
    Ragnarok took wing; made to smite Cocoon, and thereby deliver us our everlasting peace. But Her Providence would not let it be.

The Goddess pitied the fools who so blindly bowed to Lindzei's will, and so She robbed Ragnarok of power, putting the l'Cie to an early crystal sleep, Focus yet incomplete.

<dl><dd>-- Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul</dd></dl>

[IX Her Providence]
    Her Providence sought nothing.

Her Providence made nothing.
    She but looked on, silent in Her sorrow.
    The Goddess pitied mortals, destined as they were to die, and so She deigned to intervene in the hour of their greatest peril. She averted cataclysm that was to be, and put to rest the ones who would have robbed so many of what time fate had ordained.
    Her compassion did not end at this.
    The Goddess pitied also those subjected to that fate of Focus, crueler still than death. To them She sent Her messengers, to deliver hope when all was lost.

<dl><dd>-- Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul
    </dd></dl>

[XIII Fabula Nova Crystallis]

Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.
    The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.
    When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond that Door will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro, as She sobs Her song of grief.

<dl><dd>-- Author unknown</dd></dl>

The Analects are rewards you get for completing specific Cie'th Stone mission, and are an incentive to take on those challenges as they reveal more about XIII's take on the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology. Except for time travel, all of the elements present in XIII-2 were mentioned somehwere in XIII or in the FNC mythology. I personally would have preferred it if the video explaining the mythology had been present in the datalog or something, but that wasn't really essential since they were going to further explore the mythology anyway.

Originally Posted by imported_Leaferian

To start with, if you don't want to read the datalog information then that's completely on you. The datalog provides information that it would be difficult to provide during the course of the main story given both the nature of the narrative and the scope of the world's history, and having it in the game means people aren't going to miss out on some key piece of lore because they forgot to talk to missable NPC #4,560 twelve times. As for Etro she is never referred to by name in spoken dialog, instead being called 'the Goddess' out loud as she is (as far as the humans of the setting know) the only female deity.

In the Datalog she is mentioned oftened, and once by name that I recall:

[IV Heavenly Deciet]
    Ragnarok took wing; made to smite Cocoon, and thereby deliver us our everlasting peace. But Her Providence would not let it be.

The Goddess pitied the fools who so blindly bowed to Lindzei's will, and so She robbed Ragnarok of power, putting the l'Cie to an early crystal sleep, Focus yet incomplete.

<dl><dd>-- Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul</dd></dl>

[IX Her Providence]
    Her Providence sought nothing.

Her Providence made nothing.
    She but looked on, silent in Her sorrow.
    The Goddess pitied mortals, destined as they were to die, and so She deigned to intervene in the hour of their greatest peril. She averted cataclysm that was to be, and put to rest the ones who would have robbed so many of what time fate had ordained.
    Her compassion did not end at this.
    The Goddess pitied also those subjected to that fate of Focus, crueler still than death. To them She sent Her messengers, to deliver hope when all was lost.

<dl><dd>-- Sermons of the seeress Paddra Nsu-Yeul
    </dd></dl>

[XIII Fabula Nova Crystallis]

Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.
    The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.
    When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond that Door will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro, as She sobs Her song of grief.

<dl><dd>-- Author unknown</dd></dl>

The Analects are rewards you get for completing specific Cie'th Stone mission, and are an incentive to take on those challenges as they reveal more about XIII's take on the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology. Except for time travel, all of the elements present in XIII-2 were mentioned somehwere in XIII or in the FNC mythology. I personally would have preferred it if the video explaining the mythology had been present in the datalog or something, but that wasn't really essential since they were going to further explore the mythology anyway.

I have to admit you are right in that, but still, this as not being part of the main plot, leaving it to be just part of the lore is kinda revolting, because it makes the sequel feel really disconnected from the first game, wich lets face it XIII-2 doesnt feel like a direct sequel to XIII exactly because of this big difference in the plotlines.

LOL, did i say it was required? I stated, the more you looked into the game, within the game, (I didnt say anything about the internet) the more you learned. Same thing goes for FFX and FFX-2. People who didnt play FFX-2 dont know anything about the city of Zanarkand before its destruction beyond what Tidus reveales, nor as much about the Fayth.

Due to how the narrative is constructed (the main characters are always on the run) you must read the datalog if you want to understand what is going on and that is exactly the problem. The writers rely on the datalog to introduce characters, terms, places that would otherwise be explained with dialogue. Apparently to Kitase/Toriyama HD towns are hard to build and with their absence there is no interaction between the main characters and the inhabitants of the world, something that would help bring Cocoon and Pulse to life. How they decided to build it, instead, makes of XIII's world nothing more than a long corridor with a very thick instructions booklet explaining how pretty and deep it is. That is called laziness, bad writing, abysmal story telling, and poor directing.

I've played both games, talked to all NPC's, read the datalog from cover to back and I was still surprised when I knew that important key points to the plot were mentioned only in a FNC promotional video way back in 2006. After that I was introduced to additional novels, Ultimania books, ... that tried to explained the massive plot holes and events that connect both games. I have to admit, the world is rich and deep, too bad it is not fleshed out appropriately in both games and you have to read an encyclopedia to understand it. A spoiler-y encyclopedia, I might add, that more than once described events still to come...

Originally Posted by Mad_Angel

LOL, did i say it was required? I stated, the more you looked into the game, within the game, (I didnt say anything about the internet) the more you learned. Same thing goes for FFX and FFX-2. People who didnt play FFX-2 dont know anything about the city of Zanarkand before its destruction beyond what Tidus reveales, nor as much about the Fayth.

Due to how the narrative is constructed (the main characters are always on the run) you must read the datalog if you want to understand what is going on and that is exactly the problem. The writers rely on the datalog to introduce characters, terms, places that would otherwise be explained with dialogue. Apparently to Kitase/Toriyama HD towns are hard to build and with their absence there is no interaction between the main characters and the inhabitants of the world, something that would help bring Cocoon and Pulse to life. How they decided to build it, instead, makes of XIII's world nothing more than a long corridor with a very thick instructions booklet explaining how pretty and deep it is. That is called laziness, bad writing, abysmal story telling, and poor directing.

I've played both games, talked to all NPC's, read the datalog from cover to back and I was still surprised when I knew that important key points to the plot were mentioned only in a FNC promotional video way back in 2006. After that I was introduced to additional novels, Ultimania books, ... that tried to explained the massive plot holes and events that connect both games. I have to admit, the world is rich and deep, too bad it is not fleshed out appropriately in both games and you have to read an encyclopedia to understand it. A spoiler-y encyclopedia, I might add, that more once described events still to come...
    really good point, and as I did not stop to read all of the datalog's entries, it was really confusing to play a sequel with a plot so different and full of stuff not explained well in the first game.

1 is horrible ,2 Horrible,Why gonna the 3?

I have both games because I bought both games.

I play games to enjoy games. I didnt have issues understanding the games I played.

Video games are fun and enjoyable. I dont buy games that are not enjoyable, I avoid them, and spend my money wisely.

I am buying Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIII because I know I will enjoy it.

If you have a differing opinion by all means good for you. If you dont like a game, its not your right or obligation to tell someone who does like the game they like it for falsified reasons. We are all different human beings and all have different tastes and all see things differently.

(I had to respond in such a manner because responding other ways has failed thus far.)

I have both games because I bought both games.

I play games to enjoy games. I didnt have issues understanding the games I played.

Video games are fun and enjoyable. I dont buy games that are not enjoyable, I avoid them, and spend my money wisely.

I am buying Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIII because I know I will enjoy it.

If you have a differing opinion by all means good for you. If you dont like a game, its not your right or obligation to tell someone who does like the game they like it for falsified reasons. We are all different human beings and all have different tastes and all see things differently.

(I had to respond in such a manner because responding other ways has failed thus far.)

Sorry if my post came across as offensive, that was not my intention nor is ever my intention to force readers to embrace my point of view. I may argue and explain my point of view as best as I can, but that is just my take on the subject at hand. Personally, I love when different, opposite points of view clash in a civilized, intelligent manner because it helps everyone build their own unique opinion. One sided discussions limit our understanding of the world and are deceiving as they may lead us to take wrong conclusions.

Bottom line, if you like XIII/XIII-2, great and I'm happy for you but this is a forum where people share their input (good or bad) and the thread is called "So, what are your thoughts on FFXIII-2?", that is what I did. In this particular subject we are on opposing sides, maybe in the future we may fight together =)

That is fine.

Just a little fyi if you didnt know. Final Fantasy XIII was part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

FNC very much followed the same type of system used to create the FFVII Compilation games.

The amount of "plot holes" that existed in FFXIII/FFXIII-2 are no different from the ones found in Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and Crisis Core.

To go even more into detail, this is called Polymorphic content. It is something that SE really wished to introduce. I personally loved this idea, and highly enjoyed the FFXIII compilation, FNC.

I felt there were no plot holes, you did, its fine to disagree. Its better though to explain your side, rather than try and debunk the other, this is when intellect is obtained.

I have bought games and I sold!

I played both 2 main ffxiii games and did´nt enjoy games. I did have issues understanding the both games I played.

I Hope Lightning Returns:Final Fantasy XIII be totally different!

If I dont like a game, its my right to tell everyone to buy or not the game.

That is fine.

Just a little fyi if you didnt know. Final Fantasy XIII was part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series.

FNC very much followed the same type of system used to create the FFVII Compilation games.

The amount of "plot holes" that existed in FFXIII/FFXIII-2 are no different from the ones found in Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, and Crisis Core.

To go even more into detail, this is called Polymorphic content. It is something that SE really wished to introduce. I personally loved this idea, and highly enjoyed the FFXIII compilation, FNC.

I felt there were no plot holes, you did, its fine to disagree. Its better though to explain your side, rather than try and debunk the other, this is when intellect is obtained.
    hmm, cool seems you guys were able to express your opinions on this, that was a good discussion.

On a side note: I hope they never try to do anything with FF7 story again, crisis core and dirge of cerberus were not cool, completely unecessary, and all the fans were asking for was a remake. guess they got greedy.

That is fine.

hmm, cool seems you guys were able to express your opinions on this, that was a good discussion.

On a side note: I hope they never try to do anything with FF7 story again, crisis core and dirge of cerberus were not cool, completely unecessary, and all the fans were asking for was a remake. guess they got greedy.

I also loved FFVII Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.

Shelke was an amazing character with a great personality. The story behind Dirge of Cerberus was great as well. It told more about Hojo, and Lucrecia, and the origins of Vincent. I didnt really care for Vincent in FFVII, but in Dirge of Cerberus he was much more applicable to the story. The story behind Chaos and the protomateria is great and I enjoyed some of the underlying meanings.

OH, and Gackt! .. I mean, Gackt was in the soundtrack.. I about flipped my lid when I heard that in the game!

Crisis Core was also enthralling. I enjoyed the history on Angeal, Sephiroth, and Genesis. The battle cutscene in that game is probably one of the best battle scenes in the series.

Its a shame you guys dont enjoy these games. If these were boring to you, please tell me a game you do enjoy.

That is fine.

I also loved FFVII Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus.

Shelke was an amazing character with a great personality. The story behind Dirge of Cerberus was great as well. It told more about Hojo, and Lucrecia, and the origins of Vincent. I didnt really care for Vincent in FFVII, but in Dirge of Cerberus he was much more applicable to the story. The story behind Chaos and the protomateria is great and I enjoyed some of the underlying meanings.

OH, and Gackt! .. I mean, Gackt was in the soundtrack.. I about flipped my lid when I heard that in the game!

Crisis Core was also enthralling. I enjoyed the history on Angeal, Sephiroth, and Genesis. The battle cutscene in that game is probably one of the best battle scenes in the series.

Its a shame you guys dont enjoy these games. If these were boring to you, please tell me a game you do enjoy.
    is not that they were boring, I am saying that the story was really not what ppl were asking for, its ok that we got more backstory on Vincent but the rest seemed misguided. as for crisis core, if they just went for zack's past, Cloud and more details with Sephiroth and all the Jenova stuff it would have been great, but they added a lot of elements that just felt out of place. I mean, did we really need all of that? did we really need that Genesis dude? and all the story? instead of keeping it simple they tried to do more but it all went wrong, I guess they tried to make a new story arc for FF7 with the movie and these games, you can see that because in the secret ending of dirge of cerberus genesis appears, but thats not what ppl were asking for, I mean, yeah it could be cool, but the way they made it just wasnt good or interesting enough. I guess they just missed the point

FF XIII has absolutely no story compared to most other ff games.

The people are acting like headless chickens. For the background you have to read. That never ever happenend before in any FF game. Because they were out of money during the productions.

The game was developed for casualgamers, is linear as hell, and forces you through a 10 chapter and 20 hour long tutorial, with a level cap, and no way to change your party members at all. And failed badly in his game to be produced for casual gamers, because they throw in a boss in the last tutorial chapter, that a casual gamer can not defeat, as long as he is a casual gamer. Casual gamer gave up a long time before that. I discused with a few casual gamers, who tried to play FF XIII, and I was surprised, that they gave up on much easier enemies.

So a casual gamer will never ever see the real and normal game for a FF player, that allows you to explore a more open world on the surface of the planet.

Additionaly, if the first of your characters dies, it's game over. WTF. This is a developement oversight of epic proportions, because there is no real reason for this behavior! The healer is mostly the second or third char, and he has angel, to resurrect any fallen characters. I will never ever buy the PC Version, if they do not fix at least this. It made me so angry, I cannot describe it with words.

I think it's the comparison to actual good FF games, that make these gamers, including myself, hate FF XIII so much. FF XIII-2 is at least ok, if you not count in SE money grab, for selling the ending of the game as DLC. It's like seeing a good thing going downhill for no other reason than greed and producing it for the wrong type of gamer.

Sorry for my rant, but if someone thinks, FF XIII has a good story, I am not be able to let this go.

That is the same complaint I make over and over again. In a game, a story and the background has to be told in game dialogs and Videos, not in some lazy ass text journals, because the had no more money, to put it in the GAME itself, other than hidden in textform.

So, in my oppinion, FF XIII has no real story, and no background. It's all only a rumor, and not confirmed in the game through videos and dialog, or background NPC in towns, who could be helpfull ... if towns would exist in FF XIII ...

The "story" is a bunch of mostly unlikable people, running around like a bunch of headless chickens for no other reasons than to prolong the 20 hours worst tutorial ever made in gaming history.

The only person with common sense seems to be Lightning, but she will be overruled by all other idiots.

Hell of a story, indeed.

Member I agree that the battle is easy but the bosses battles is soooooo hard! It took me days to beat a hard bosse! 3 days ago I was in 🇳🇱 And my dad got this game and he don't really like this game is favorite game is final fantasy 7. He dont play final fantasy XIII-2 SO he gave me the game and then back to the Canada i play this game and IT WAS MY NEW FAVORITE GAME! IN 3 DAY I ALREADY HAVE 18:30 OF GAMEPLAY WOOOW! I really like the crystarium system and the familliars system. THE BOSSES IS SO HARD IN NORMAL MODE AND I LIKE IT LIKE THAT CUZ IT MAKE THE GAME MORE EPIC

Page 11 of 11 First First ... 7891011