Thread: Please add "Complications" from Escelations to Contracts Mode

Please add "Complications" from Escelations to Contracts Mode

Contracts can be a lot of fun, but most of them still pales in comparison to the challenge provided by most Escalations.

I believe that adding "complication" cards to Contracts mode would not only feel more fun and challenging, but would also make it feel more authentic. I reckon that there's a good reason why main missions, elusive targets and escalations sometimes have conditions other than just "kill the target", aside from providing an additional challenge it also provides more immersion as a story element.

Imagine the stories players would be able to tell if they would be able to add simple kill conditions like "no pacification", "targets must die within 30 seconds of each other", "hide all the bodies in the freezer room", "keep the outfit you were wearing on mission start", "catacombs is the only available exit".

I also reckon it wouldn't be too hard to implement victims that would fail the mission, such as The Seeger Beguilement escalation and The Guru elusive. Simply implement that marking a target twice colors them yellow (or green) for "Do not kill".

I don't think it would in any way at all be an issue of making missions too hard for other players either. Just make it so that a contract with "complications" added must be trial played and completed by the creator before they can be approved for submittal which is a pretty common practice in custom level creators and easily prevents missions from being unwinnable.

Lastly, and this is kind of personal I suppose, but I really feel that having the target kill method always "optional" really cheapens contracts mode. People make contracts to provide people a challenge by their rules, having the rules always be optional makes the Contracts Mode feel like a cheap knock-off the real missions.
    Last edited by Simski; 17th Dec 2016 at 03:59. Reason: improvements, grammar, etc

I would love for this to happen

I think it's a good idea. Besides, as you say, everything being optional in Contracts mode kind of defeats the whole purpose. So far, I think it's only good for "farming" some challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlance View Post
    I think it's a good idea. Besides, as you say, everything being optional in Contracts mode kind of defeats the whole purpose. So far, I think it's only good for "farming" some challenges.
    Yeah. I barely play it outside of completing challenges that aren't possible on the main mission.

I have however played plenty of escalations. Escalations actually feel like real contracts. A contract made by some insane loony, but a contract none the less. Contracts mode just feels like a suggestion on an NPC in the map you could potentially take out in an interesting way.

It doesn't have nearly the same challenge and immersion as escalations, and I think letting players add rules to the contracts would be just the thing to them feel a lot more alive and interesting. It could potentially extend the lifetime of this game tremendously if contracts mode was actually more fun to play.
    Last edited by Simski; 17th Dec 2016 at 18:52.