Thread: Running at 4k on PS4 Pro ALWAYS results in crash!

Unhappy Running at 4k on PS4 Pro ALWAYS results in crash!

I just picked up my PS4 Pro for my Samsung KS8500 tv and decided to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider with it to test out its 4k settings. As soon as I launched the game (with 4k settings in place on the game), it immediately locks up my ps4 pro and I am forced to hard reboot the system.

This happens every time and if I go down to 1080p, all is fine it seems, no crashing, but as soon as I switch the in game settings to be enchanced to 4k, it crashes my ps4 pro.

I got to thinking maybe this is because I bought the game on disk and the ps4 pro's disk drive cannot handle 4k. That is a reach though, it could just also be poor optimization on the part of the software. I know for a fact my tv can handle 4k and HDR so I do not think that is the issue.

Anyone else have this issue or know of any work arounds? If its because of it trying to play 4k off a disk that the ps4 pro cannot handle, then oh well, doubt I will blow another 60 $$$ on the game digitally to find out.

you did a clean install? And you waited till its actually fully installed? Your PS4 Resolution Output is set to "automatic"?

It usually works fine. Could be a problem with your hardware. The disc is definitly not the problem.

I'm having the same problem.

I have a 4K TV with a PS4 Pro, every time I try to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K mode it crashes. Half the time the screen goes black, then a checkerboard flashes on and off in the top left quarter of the screen, leads to me having to power down the whole system. The checkerboard that appears made me think it could be something to do with the 4K checkerboard 'upscale', but could just be a coincidence.

I've tried the following to fix the issue:
    - Deleted and reinstalled RotTR
    - Logging out of PSN/Disconnecting from the Internet
    - Rebuilt the database
    - Reinstalled the PlayStation Software update
    - Initialised the system (wiped)
    - Initialised the system with the latest PlayStation software update
    - Started a new game in 4K mode
    - Loaded a save (from the first minute of gameplay) in 4K mode
    - Loaded a save in Enriched Visuals mode, played for 30 minutes and switched to 4K mode
    - Plugging the PS4 Pro HDMI straight into the TV, rather than through the PSVR processor unit

Every time I've tried to play in 4K mode after any of the above the game has crashed. I've played Last of Us in native 4K mode, Dishonored 2 (which I think is patched, but I'm not sure), PSVR Worlds, RIGS and more on the console and haven't had any issues with any other game.

Barring getting a replacement console/waiting for a patch, is there anything I've missed in terms of troubleshooting?
    It's frustrating because it seems to be something that is effecting a very small number of people...

my rise of the tomb raider crshes my whole system in 1080p. It does so after 5 mins gameplay/ The game is now unplayable as it appears to lock up the ps4 pro and requires a mains pull. I do not like it all, shame I want to finish this game. Any tips?

The VR level is also unplayable, crashes.

I have my PS4 Pro plugged to a a Full HD TV.
    The game randomly crashes, either running on 60frames mode or on "Enhanced" mode. It even crashes at the main menu screen.
    It used to run perfectly on my old PS4, so it is not the disk.

When it crashes it shows a checkerboard pattern, is it trying to go 4K even though my TV is not compatible?

I tried disconnecting from the net.
    I tried reinstalling the game.
    I tried changing the console's video settings.

Please fix this asap.

All the other games run fine...
    Last edited by jafomon; 15th Nov 2016 at 10:15. Reason: typos

what happens when you set ps4 pro video output to 1080p only. In 4K mode it should deliver a high anti aliasing effect on 1080p tv's.

Quote Originally Posted by dandins View Post
    what happens when you set ps4 pro video output to 1080p only. In 4K mode it should deliver a high anti aliasing effect on 1080p tv's.
    It crashes in all modes...

I just updated the TV's firmware and the game does not crash anymore... Let's cross fingers...

Edit: Nope, it keeps crashing...
    Last edited by jafomon; 15th Nov 2016 at 15:27.

I wrote to their technical support via the chat but still waiting, does anyone knows if they are going to do something with this ? another patch or it will stay immposible to play ROTTR ?

Quote Originally Posted by skidpro2012 View Post
    my rise of the tomb raider crshes my whole system in 1080p. It does so after 5 mins gameplay/ The game is now unplayable as it appears to lock up the ps4 pro and requires a mains pull. I do not like it all, shame I want to finish this game. Any tips?

The VR level is also unplayable, crashes.
    This is no news. The game already crashed for a lot people with the old Ps4 at release date. Update 1.04 made it even worse. Sometimes it just crashed after continuing the game with a savegame rebuild as result.

@jafomon
    A game will never crash because of your TV. It's always because of the software itself, the OS or the hardware itself or even a mix of everything. A firmware updater of your TV setup will only help if you have any kind of handshake problem with HDMI or other related problems. The Ps4 Pro is a new system and the OS may still be full of bugs. I mean, the Pro need extra DDR3 memory to run multiple apps at the same time... this was possible with the XboxOne from Day1 with a running game and up to 3 apps (depending on memory usage) and no extra build in memory was needed.

Did you install latest TR patch 1.05 and latest OS PS4?
    if its just a black screen it could be a tv issue.. what actually happens when it crashes? ps4 shut down or just nothing happens on the screen? The were some news about many TV brands being not compatible with ps4 pro. they require a patch.

It could also be a problem with the OS, game or hardware. they will need a crash log to adress this issue. Im still wondering cause my game runs perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_101 View Post
    I'm having the same problem.

I have a 4K TV with a PS4 Pro, every time I try to play Rise of the Tomb Raider in 4K mode it crashes. Half the time the screen goes black, then a checkerboard flashes on and off in the top left quarter of the screen, leads to me having to power down the whole system. The checkerboard that appears made me think it could be something to do with the 4K checkerboard 'upscale', but could just be a coincidence.

I've tried the following to fix the issue:
    - Deleted and reinstalled RotTR
    - Logging out of PSN/Disconnecting from the Internet
    - Rebuilt the database
    - Reinstalled the PlayStation Software update
    - Initialised the system (wiped)
    - Initialised the system with the latest PlayStation software update
    - Started a new game in 4K mode
    - Loaded a save (from the first minute of gameplay) in 4K mode
    - Loaded a save in Enriched Visuals mode, played for 30 minutes and switched to 4K mode
    - Plugging the PS4 Pro HDMI straight into the TV, rather than through the PSVR processor unit

Every time I've tried to play in 4K mode after any of the above the game has crashed. I've played Last of Us in native 4K mode, Dishonored 2 (which I think is patched, but I'm not sure), PSVR Worlds, RIGS and more on the console and haven't had any issues with any other game.

Barring getting a replacement console/waiting for a patch, is there anything I've missed in terms of troubleshooting?
    It's frustrating because it seems to be something that is effecting a very small number of people...
    UPDATE: I got desperate and ordered a replacement PS4 Pro from Amazon, have been playing in 4K mode for over an hour without issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Loki_101 View Post
    UPDATE: I got desperate and ordered a replacement PS4 Pro from Amazon, have been playing in 4K mode for over an hour without issue!
    You bought another console ? I hope that not every of us is forced to do that ;/
    I even re - initialized the system and installed all of my games again but it did not help with ROTTR
    I did reinstal the game though, but without any patches, and was able to get past the "crushing/freezing point" but I do not think it is solution as without the patch You can not do anything with graphics.
    This problem however is mentioned on many forums etc, i did contact with square enix technical support but still i did not get any answer

Quote Originally Posted by dandins View Post
    Did you install latest TR patch 1.05 and latest OS PS4?
    if its just a black screen it could be a tv issue.. what actually happens when it crashes? ps4 shut down or just nothing happens on the screen? The were some news about many TV brands being not compatible with ps4 pro. they require a patch.

It could also be a problem with the OS, game or hardware. they will need a crash log to adress this issue. Im still wondering cause my game runs perfectly.
    Yes, I have the latest patches.
    The screen freezes, then after a few seconds it shows the checkerboard pattern, and then appears the OS error screen and asks me to send a report.

Quote Originally Posted by jafomon View Post
    Yes, I have the latest patches.
    The screen freezes, then after a few seconds it shows the checkerboard pattern, and then appears the OS error screen and asks me to send a report.
    Same here, ROTTR ver 1.05 and PS4 Soft 4.06, yet it "seemed" to be working when ROTTR was without any patches

I did get the answer from square enix, but they told me only that they are looking into problem, however they do not know when the next patch will be released :/

Bah, I'm tired of waiting for a patch... I reinstalled the game and I'm playing it without the patches.
    Too bad I can't take advantage of the Pro...

Quote Originally Posted by jafomon View Post
    Too bad I can't take advantage of the Pro...
    What advantage ? In performance mode it never reaches 60fps (DF shows an average of 45fps with nasty framecpacing problems) and the other modes, while suffering from performance problems as well, are at best looking slightly better compared to the base game on standard Ps4.
    A lot people think, that a small Pro update will make all the textures magically look better but this will never happen. The publishers need to release way bigger updates exclusively for the Pro, but this wouls cost them money and time. But even better textures need more memory and bandwich... things the Pro can't offer. All you guys can expect are some tweaks at best.

IMO the only feature of the Pro really making games look better is HDR (depending on how it was implemented), but sadly not supported by this game atm.
    Last edited by xTHORGALx; 7th Dec 2016 at 12:02.

Did 1.06 fix the crashing on the Pro? I'm really wanting to play this game but can't. It crashes within 30 seconds every time.

CRASH 1.06 INCLUDED IM FURIOUS

I ve tried everithing..the game freeze my ps4 pro...im furious

Quote Originally Posted by cucuchu View Post
    I just picked up my PS4 Pro for my Samsung KS8500 tv and decided to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider with it to test out its 4k settings. As soon as I launched the game (with 4k settings in place on the game), it immediately locks up my ps4 pro and I am forced to hard reboot the system.

This happens every time and if I go down to 1080p, all is fine it seems, no crashing, but as soon as I switch the in game settings to be enchanced to 4k, it crashes my ps4 pro.

I got to thinking maybe this is because I bought the game on disk and the ps4 pro's disk drive cannot handle 4k. That is a reach though, it could just also be poor optimization on the part of the software. I know for a fact my tv can handle 4k and HDR so I do not think that is the issue.

Anyone else have this issue or know of any work arounds? If its because of it trying to play 4k off a disk that the ps4 pro cannot handle, then oh well, doubt I will blow another 60 $$$ on the game digitally to find out.
    I get it, too but it doesn't only happen in 4K. I'm posting my findings in a new thread.