Thread: What if

What if

It would seem, not unexpectedly and, given that you chose to save Chloe over Arcadia Bay, that Maxine Caulfield and Chloe Price have truly driven off into the virtual sunset of computer gaming never to be seen again. Whatever destiny or fate awaits them is anybody's guess and it depends entirely on your own imagination as to how their future will ultimately play out. And given that it was someone's imagination which brought us Life is Strange to begin with, I suppose it is fitting that their journey will continue likewise - but in the confines of our own imaginations instead.

So is this really the end for Life is Strange as a gaming franchise?

Well it certainly is for Max and Chloe, but that doesn't mean it is the end of all things for the title itself. Following the release of episode 5, and after the dust had settled, there was much speculation among the fans - myself included - whether or not there was more to come? Many possibilities exist whereby a new adventure could be conceived using another medium other than time travel and Dontnod themselves have already suggested that if a sequel were to be made, then an all new cast would be the only way forward, and I have to agree. To create a follow up using exactly the same scenario wouldn't be very satisfying at all; much better to keep things fresh and vibrant by coming up with something totally new and different. And of course, all new characters would have to be fleshed out and created to play out their roles in another fictional environment.

Sounds easy doesn't it? Make a sequel as good as the first then unleash it on the fans and hope it achieves yet more critical acclaim. If things were that easy and simple to do then all games would have sequels in no time at all and become a common place thing being taken for granted by expectant gamers. But bold stories incorporating ethereal qualities and socially challenging themes do not just happen and pop out of the blue; the core concept might, but after that it is only time that allows the idea to freely develop and reach fruition in the creators mind. Life is Strange, as we know it, came about long before it morphed into the computer game we know now, and anyone anticipating another season (if indeed there is one at all) anytime soon is going to be gravely disappointed. There is nothing more stifling to the creative process than time constraints or production contracts; they have both been responsible - more than anything else, for having a detrimental effect on the quality of a finished work. It is a fortunate thing that the conception then growth of Life is Strange was not subject to such constraints; this was for the simple reason that at first it wasn't a game at all but a freely roaming, fermenting idea in someone's unfettered imagination.

In a sense, I am glad that Dontnod didn't have any contractual obligations to produce a sequel; I dread to think as to how that would've turned out if it were so. Yet another hastily turned out game to disappoint the masses!

But there is always hope, hope that someday a casual acorn of thought might turn into a fully blossomed story and the sequel will be born. It all depends on whether or not Dontnod really want to put together another season for their own satisfaction as well as the fans. In the meantime though, ideas are flowing I'm sure, and like I mentioned before - there are many possibilities to consider.

JJ
    Last edited by julietxjules; 8th Nov 2016 at 17:36.
    signature image

Addendum:

Thinking about it; this might be a good opportunity for people to input their own ideas or suggestions for another season of Life is Strange - you never know who might be reading it. If it gets big enough it might be taken seriously and influence the powers that be to act upon it!
    signature image