Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Comp #23 - What Does Lara Mean To You?

Forum Comp #23 - What Does Lara Mean To You?

It's competition time again!

For this comp we'd like you to express what does Lara Croft / Tomb Raider mean to you? How exactly you do this is entirely up to you; writing an essay, making a video, placing captions onto TR images, creating fan art, showing your TR collection, baking a Lara Croft cake - you name it!

You may also enter with previous #TombRaider20 projects as long as they were completed during 2016.

The core rules are:

• Maximum 1 entry per person/household.
    • Maximum 1000 words for a text entry or maximum 10 minutes for an audio/video entry.
    • Entry submission deadline: January 29, 2017 at noon CET.

THE PRIZES!

The swag vault for this comp contains the following items:

• SURPRISE swag #1 - Rare item from the vault, not featured in previous SE forum competitions!
    • SURPRISE swag #2 - Rare item from the vault, not featured in previous SE forum competitions!
    • SURPRISE swag #3 - A piece of apparel.
    • SURPRISE swag #4 - An item signed by the TR dev team.
    • Digital Goodies Bag Item**

Prize list may be updated as we receive more entries so we encourage you to enter now!

**Digital goodies bag contents

There will be 5 winners in total. 1st place winner may choose an item from the swag vault and another item from the digital goodies bag. 2nd and 3rd place winner may choose 1 item from the swag vault (including the digital goodies bag). 4th and 5th place winners may choose 1 item from the digital goodies bag. 1st-3rd place winners will be determined by a panel of judges. 4th and 5th place winners will be chosen at random from *all* entries using random.org.

How to enter

• Post your entry in this thread and start your post with the text *THIS IS MY CONTEST ENTRY*
    • Upload images using this link http://pic.driber.net/up (choose "comp #23") and insert the BB code in your post.
    • Upload videos to YouTube and insert the YT BB code like this: [youtube]insertvideocodehere[/youtube] (more info)
    • Don't put more than 1 entry in the same forum post - make a new post for each entry you submit.

Detailed T&C

• Maximum 1 entry per person/household.
    • Maximum 1000 words for a text entry or maximum 10 minutes for an audio/video entry.
    • Entry submission deadline: January 29, 2017 at noon CET.
    • Competition promoter is Driber. Prizes donated by Crystal Dynamics.
    • Driber reserves the right to extend the deadline and/or cancel the competition at any time without warning or reason.
    • Keep your entry clean, in good taste and in accordance with our FORUM ToU.
    • Your entry may not break any laws.
    • Entries must be in English.
    • In the event of a tie, the person who posted first wins.
    • Maximum 1 prize set per contestant; a contestant cannot win for example 1st prize and 3rd prize at the same time.
    • In cases of suspected fraud, winners are responsible for proving ownership of their entry in order to claim their prize.
    • Winners will be notified via PM or email. Winners must respond (with their postal address when applicable) within 2 weeks of being notified or else their prize may go to another contestant.
    • Judges decisions are final.

Good luck, everyone

==================================================
    * * * Forum competition history and winners collage * * *

APR 2010: Forum Easter egg hunt | JUL 2011: Guess the number | AUG 2011: Photoshop caption fun | NOV 2011: Meme comp | DEC 2011: Create a Christmas sig
    FEB 2012: Create your own V-Day card | MAR 2012: Easter Fun | APR 2012: TR Fan Art "By Hand" | JUL 2012: The Fabulous Destinations of Lara Croft | JUL 2012: post your favorite (funny) screens | SEP 2012: AoD caption contest | OCT 2012: design your own forum banner | DEC 2012: Create a TR Holiday Card | FEB 2013: TR Early Game Contest APR 2013: Funny Caption Contest | SEP 2013: Design an outfit for Lara | DEC 2013: Lara's Christmas Story | APR 2014: TR Dark Horse Comics | OCT 2014: TR novel give-away | Dec 2014: Holiday season decorations |
    FEB 2015: Valentine's Day card | MAR 2015: Spring Theme | APR 2015: Adventure Motivational Poster | AUG 2015 David Irvine Paintover contest | APR 2016 Caption Contest | NOV 2016 What Does Lara Mean To You

Click here for more photos...
    ==================================================

*THIS IS MY CONTEST ENTRY*

Lara Croft and Tomb Raider mean the world to me.I've loved every single tomb raider game on playstation including the main tomb raider series and both the Lara croft series plus tomb raider trilogy and definitive edition since 1996.Lara croft and the tomb raider series is important to me cause they have always been there for me to help me through the hard times including when I had my mental illness in 2006 then when my dad died and also recently when my mum was unwell and having depression,Lara croft and the games have always made me happy and cheered me up whatever I've been through.I have always been excited,pleased and content with them and I feel like I owe Lara and tomb raider a lot for helping at the most difficult times of my life.I realised Lara and tomb raider have always been my true friends whether being down or happy and I feel like it weren't for them I probably wouldn't carry on and I wouldn't have got through the most of it.So thank you Lara croft and tomb raider for helping me all this time and I hope you will continue to be my friends for as long as possible.
    Last edited by emma_rooney; 30th Nov 2016 at 05:57.

*THIS IS (no longer) MY CONTEST ENTRY*

actually, redid my entry, so re-submitting below.
    Last edited by AdobeArtist; 2nd Dec 2016 at 06:31.
    signature image

(click image to enlarge)
    signature image

(click image to enlarge)

signature image

^ @dark7angel: so that's a filtered picture of you in your entry?
    signature image

Quote Originally Posted by AdobeArtist View Post
    ^ @dark7angel: so that's a filtered picture of you in your entry?
    Ah, no! It's not me... I was going to use a picture of me playing, but I just couldn't get the right angle for the effect I wanted, so I opted to make a photo manip. It's really just to add some visuals to the text. I wanted to illustrate it myself, but I don't really draw/paint all that well.
    signature image

(click image to enlarge)

Okay, so this was meant to be Lara's back (including backpack and braid) but it was incredibly hard to create a decent brown and once I had, I didn't make enough, so it's just the backpack (which just kind of looks like a box)

BTS side note;
    signature image

Hello, everyone! Happy new year!
    I've decided to participate in this contest with a funny video on my YouTube channel! (Yeah, I tried to speak in english).

signature image

My brother is nine years older than me and we never spent that much time together whilst growing up. Tomb Raider is something that changed that and it really helped to bring us together.
    We spent an entire weekend back in 1996 (my Father, my brother, my brother's wife & myself) exploring through the caverns in the original Tomb Raider. It was such an enjoyable & awesome experience, an experience that I'll never forget!
    In my family, this event gave birth to the 'TOMB RAIDER WEEKENDS', that we all continued for many years (all the way up to Underworld, then I moved abroad). For the first five games we even booked the Monday off work (TR 5 & beyond never required that extra day).
    My nephew also joined in the tradition from about The Last Revelation onwards.
    Fast forward to today & I now live in Australia and my Brother lives back in the UK. My awesome Dad passed away some years back. I look back on these TOMB RAIDER WEEKEND memories, with nothing but pure happiness.
    Above are a couple of photos & the unpixelated person is me. We both still have our TR statues, that were ordered from a little brochure that came bundled with TR3.
    I am not exaggerating at all when I say that I used to look forward to these TOMB RAIDER WEEKENDS more than Christmas!!!
    Last edited by BlueSkiesXXV; 9th Dec 2017 at 09:21.
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

zaffiro

(click image to enlarge)

Hi. This is me doing a personal and original cosplay of Lara. I'm wearing a necklace with an Ankh, holding a single plastic gun painted by me and showing a (temporary) tattoo of a phoenix, because, to me, this character means being able to stand up again, no matter how many times you get knocked out. And yes, I'm portraying a fictional character, but this meaning, this strength, is something I'm doing my best to keep in my life, because I get knocked out so many times too.

Hi everyone!

To explain what Lara means, I would like to give her a gift with all the icons that she reminds me, the classic and the new ones. So I made some miniatures and a thank-you letter, telling how the Tomb Raider saga got into my life!

(click image to enlarge)

I tried first with my family, my mom said “oh this is all Lara” and my brother: “ all that snow from Rise, in a jar!”, so I think it could work!

Thanks!

Hiii. Did you remember Teletubbies?

(click image to enlarge)

Hey. I'm back! I thought it was cool make an entry with a draw of mine

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Dear Lara,

You first came to me on the front of a magazine, in the form of a demo disc. I played that demo every day until the game's actual release, such that I could take down that once terrifying bear and finish the demo without a scratch.
    Since then you been a source of joy for me, through global adventures and insane foes like dragons and gods, searching great mythologies like Egyptian and Norse. I fondly recall showing off your underwater switch flip and the handstand to my friends, and locking Winston in the freezer.
    You've provided challenge and excitement in the good times, and were the hand on my shoulder in the dark times. My peers are well aware of how I feel, respectfully mocking me when I put your game trailer on the work info display or casually dropping your name in the test cases I write. My wife even dressed up in your adventurer gear to pay homage to you!
    I owe a lot to your presence in my life, and have been an undying follower for two decades and forever here on.

Your faithful climbing companion,
    Damian
    Last edited by Tihocan; 29th Jan 2017 at 07:31.
    signature image

Am I late? Is this this contest officially closed?? I would make my participation, if I have the premits...

(click image to enlarge)

HOPE YOU WILL ACCEPT MY ENTRY.

Entry submission deadline: January 29, 2017 at noon CET.

Just curious, what date will the winners be announced???
    "Aha!" - Lara Croft (1996).........."Arrrghhhh!" (2016)
    signature image

Apologies for the late response, everyone. We're keeping this comp going for a bit longer. I'll be in touch shortly regarding the new deadline. In the meantime please feel free to submit entries (those who haven't yet)

Quote Originally Posted by Tihocan View Post

(click image to enlarge)

Dear Lara,

You first came to me on the front of a magazine, in the form of a demo disc. I played that demo every day until the game's actual release, such that I could take down that once terrifying bear and finish the demo without a scratch.
    Since then you been a source of joy for me, through global adventures and insane foes like dragons and gods, searching great mythologies like Egyptian and Norse. I fondly recall showing off your underwater switch flip and the handstand to my friends, and locking Winston in the freezer.
    You've provided challenge and excitement in the good times, and were the hand on my shoulder in the dark times. My peers are well aware of how I feel, respectfully mocking me when I put your game trailer on the work info display or casually dropping your name in the test cases I write. My wife even dressed up in your adventurer gear to pay homage to you!
    I owe a lot to your presence in my life, and have been an undying follower for two decades and forever here on.

Your faithful climbing companion,
    Damian
    such a perfext collection!great!

I wasn't going to enter at first, but this extended deadline seems to be my second chance ...

(click image to enlarge)

I first discovered Tomb Raider in 2002. Playing the games allowed me to travel to places I may never be able to. At first I was in Peru, then Greece, China, India, Antarctica, Rome, Egypt…so many places, so many wonderful sights. And of course there was the mystical and fantasy. Who’d have thought it possible to fight off a T-Rex or Egyptian mummy or ghost? I was lifted from the often harsh times of real life into a world of imagination. Of course, you can do this with books or movies, but with a game you can really interact; really imagine yourself there. Lara may be the one moving on the screen, but we make those jumps together. I’m right there besides her as she battles a wolf or tiger. I chuckle as she uses her dry wit to put down an enemy or talk her way out of trouble. I may struggle with the puzzles, but Lara takes it all in her stride.

Then there’s Lara herself. What kind of person travels to the remotest parts of the earth and faces dangerous environments and foes alike? Lara has many of the qualities I could easily admire. Sure, Lara can be cold, callous, head strong and fiercely single-minded and independent. But there are glimpses of kindness, thoughtfulness and vulnerability. She is bold and dry witted, determined and brave. She takes risks but not without being prepared. She makes mistakes (though rare) but will go to many lengths to correct them. She has many qualities one can aspire to. She is exceptionally smart and incredibly agile and acrobatic. If I’m honest, I’d probably be envious if she were real and should we meet. In short, she is a fascinating character. One I try to do justice to in writing her. Lara Croft is so many-faceted, that I feel in writing her, I can only capture a small part of her character. But I try to and trying to puzzle her out is a joy really. How would she react to this situation or that? What would Lara do if..? Some of our adventures have been a tad silly, some serious, but I've always enjoyed putting Lara in new situations.

I love writing Lara in my fan fictions and imagining new adventures for her. If I can’t go to Mongolia or Egypt, then Lara will go in my place. I hope to see her in future games and to continue to be inspired to write more of her adventures.

Here’s a new poem, for Lara this time:

Bold and brave running through the world carefree
    Where do we go this time? What sights to see?
    Jumping and climbing, no time to waste
    We're not tourists, no local delicacy to taste.
    Weapons ready, there could be an enemy
    A wolf, a bear or random mercenary
    Thinking cap on, this could be tough
    Dodging traps, these ancients play rough
    Let's make a camp, upgrade our gear
    I sense the artefact could be near
    Don't you see, it's all in good fun
    In blizzard or storm or a day in the sun
    We travel lightly, but are always prepared
    In our adventures that we have shared.
    Last edited by Rai; 1st Apr 2017 at 01:47. Reason: Repeated line

Here's just a quick update to inform everyone that this comp is still running; you can still enter if you haven't already. I just cannot provide a solid deadline as of yet, but I hope to have one soon. Sorry to keep everyone waiting.

That said, nice entry there, Rai

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Thanks for the update. And thank you .

This is dead, right? (at the risk at being a nag ).

Again apologies everyone for the massive delay. Due to complications I'm afraid I still cannot give a solid deadline. But rest assured I haven't forgotten about this. I'll post an update as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Rai View Post
    (at the risk at being a nag ).
    Not at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast