Thread: Soul Reaver 1 widescreen buglist

Soul Reaver 1 widescreen buglist

So, I'm going to need some help from people who use the widescreen patch.
    It's a fairly well known problem that the wraith blade does not scale or align properly when the widescreen patch is used, however it's not the only thing that goes wrong. The health coil and parts of the hud remain stretched and don't align properly either. I'm also pretty sure that the lighthouse beam, Kain's lightning attacks and the electricity that runs through Raziel's body all have a similar issue. I'd also like to know if anyone has seen and particle effects still appearing squashed/stretched with the widescreen patch.
    What I need is for everyone who still plays the game and uses the widescreen patch *on the PC version* to confirm all of these (ideally with screenshots) and and let me know of and other alignment or stretching issues in the game you notice.

I believe I can correct certain things individually, but it's hard to tell whether the patch I come up with will fix every screen mode or just the one I tried with. That's why I need so much info, because if I can find a single fix that works for all of the issues, I know it's at a point in the game's processing where it won't perform any further scaling before rendering to the screen.

*This is not a 'how to' thread.* It's more of a checklist to keep track of what hasn't been fixed yet. Patches and instructions for any discovered fixes, can be added to the many threads that have already been started. What can be included here is hex changes to the exe that fix specific the issues, so we can check them off the list.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Vampmaster, did you see AHK Injector code (I uploaded it and for my OneDrive too)?
    You said early that it is possible to use it for the correct widescreen-patch, and some fans already asked me about it.
    I do not think that you obtain answers on your questions soon, because there are too low fan-activity now (though you can find and read the appropriate threads here or on Steam).
    My own opinion about widescreen patch - I just do not used it (since I saw described above bugs) neither for SR1 nor for any other LOK-game because I do not understand for what purpose is it needed. But I know that some fans like it. Though I leaved support of SRHook.dll and in the last version of winplay.dll (but already ported all another features from this dll to avoid using of it).
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    Vampmaster, did you see AHK Injector code (I uploaded it and for my OneDrive too)?
    You said early that it is possible to use it for the correct widescreen-patch, and some fans already asked me about it.
    Can you remind me which part I said could fix it? Which one was the AHK Injector code? I kept all private messages but there's a lot to search through. What do the letters AHK stand for?
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Here.

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    Yeah, that's one way that could work, but I'm not sure how good of a solution it would be. I think the game might clip certain polygons outside of the FOV before it gets to that part, meaning that squashing everything in from the sides would result in polygons being clipped due to the game not realising we want them to be displayed. On the other hand, it might be just fine. However, separate fixes would also be needed for the different vertex formats such as triangle strips, lists, normalised coordinates and a bunch of other things.

The whole reason I need people to help build a list of what things currently break in widescreen mode is so that I know how many separate parts of the game will need fixing. I need to add the fix in the right part of the game's processing to correct as many issues with one code change as possible, because that will not just require less editing, but will be more likely to work for all screen resolutions and not just the one I happen to be testing with.

I'm thinking of modifying the D3D_AddTri (Or was it D3D_AddPoly) function and its counterparts for quad and other bucket types, then doing the transforms from there at the moment. Have a look at the Psy-Q documents on transforms too, if you can find them. Soul Reaver uses s lot of those.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 9th Sep 2016 at 15:19.

I think that any solution will be interesting for fans and than they will write their suggestions about additional improvements you need to do and asked for.

Just wanted to let you know I'd like to help!

=============================

Hex Edits on my exe (PC Version)

My latest play was running a resolution = 1600x900 32 & 16 bit depth. Running great with very few issues.

I have separate copies of the EXE using a float value of 1.000 and 0.750 at 0x000EB364 (float = 0.750 suggested here, but I disagree - read below).

My tests were at the portal right outside the castle surrounded by water (before the silenced cathedral). This happens right after beating the first boss and then getting the ability to pass through some barriers in the Spectral Realm.

Issues with float = 0.750

Issues with float = 1.000

So, how would you prefer I proceed?

- float = 0.750, or
    - float = 1.000

I honestly suggest float = 1.000 given the sheer fewer number of problems. Hope this helps!

==============================

On a separate note, since I've manually applied all hex edits, I must say the results are great so far. I love the work you guys have done!

Unfortunately, when I try to use the SR1Hook fix I keep getting crashes that point to -> 0x457ced > G2AnimSection_InterpToKeylistFrame (thanks to wrace0 for pointing that out to me). I really do like the functionality though of setting the settings in an INI file, and being able to skip the settings dialog.

Is there a chance I can have the hex edits to apply the SR1Hook and mess around with applying them myself?
    Last edited by TheArkyTekt; 17th Sep 2016 at 00:16.

With the winplay.dll v.1.0.0.5, SRHook.dll is loaded into the memory of SR1 only if this file (i.e. the file with this name) is found in the game-folder (i.e. it is not needed to apply any patches to kain2.exe to load this file). If you change this name, for example, to SRHook1.dll, this dll is not be loaded.
    If you want to apply the same fixes as SRHook.dll to do for widescreen-patch, you can research (by disassembler) this dll or ask Vampmaster about it (he said me that he knows what this dll do). In the last version of winplay.dll (which is not published yet) I ported all another fixes that SRHook.dll does (FrameRateFix + hotkeys engine) into this dll and do not use it anymore (though support of SRHook.dll is remained - only for widescreen-patch and partially for FrameRateFix). Since I do not like the realization of widescreen-patch by SRHook.dll and do not use the same patches for any other LOK-game, hence I can't help with this problem.
    BTW: I do not support the fact that using SRHook.dll lead to additional ingame-problems - there are some set of problems which are remained with or without SRHook.dll or any my patches (like crashes on the first aggressive human or in the first location of the Drowned Abbey after loading save with the further progress), though sometimes they are unstable (i.e. can appear but can not appear too).

@wrace0

What disassembler do you use / recommend? I've never messed with a disassembler before but I'm willing to start at the deep end ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0
    BTW: I do not support the fact that using SRHook.dll lead to additional ingame-problems - there are some set of problems which are remained with or without SRHook.dll or any my patches (like crashes on the first aggressive human or in the first location of the Drowned Abbey after loading save with the further progress), though sometimes they are unstable (i.e. can appear but can not appear too).
    I tried WINPLAY.DLL v1.0.0.5 without SRHook.dll .. still got a crash, and it's different this time (not 0x457CED) ... the usual spot, first hostile human. Any chance you'd be willing to take a look?

Crash report:
    Last edited by TheArkyTekt; 16th Sep 2016 at 21:20.

I use (by the info from Vampmaster many years ago) disassemblers Borg and Hiew (the last one allows edit exe/dll).

About crash at the first aggressive human - when I tested achievements, I saw (when I used jump to location without setting option "Keep info between loads") the same situation and in the Human Citadel too (human with flame-thrower at the first gates).
    It is interesting that in both cases human is near to the boundary of the location (between two of them), so I think that the bag is happened when he is crossing this boundary + the game is trying to load his weapon at the same time (I saw glitches with disappearing of models when I used teleport-feature to the another location). The known solution - fast jumping from him - is helped in my opinion because in such case you fastly cross this boundary between locations and new location is loaded and for enemy too.
    More interesting that if this human is loaded at first time as friendly to Raziel (by using save, for example) and then you make him aggressive (by attacking him), his weapon is loaded without any bugs and glitches (though I don't check crossing by him the boundary between locations in such case).

So, I dont know what happened, but on Black Friday I got new hard drives (I was adding to my pc configuration, not taking away) and I Installed my OS on an SSD. When I installed Steam, some games were moved and had to be revalidated, some were reinstalled alltogether. Except, I forgot to remove ALL the modified files from Soul Reaver when verifying and they got overwritten. I was able to download the files from nosgothica and the widescreen worked again. Since then I bought ANOTHER hard drive, and did more moving around. This time i only forhot tge winplay file. I found an old ws patch floating around because i discovered nosgothica isnt working anymore, but when i go to 1080p mode all i can see is the top left section taking up the whole screen. I don't know why.

PS. Ive had a 4k tv for a while, and the game worked fine on it (though only in 1080p, 2160p would always change back to 1080) so i know its not my monitor either.
    Last edited by mackdanny; 30th Jan 2017 at 00:04.

All patches (the last versions) from Nosgothica are now on my OneDrive (link in my signature).