Thread: SR1: Achievements Demo

Wink SR1: Achievements Demo

Demonstration of taking 7 from 50 achievements for SR1.
    Look at here.
    Last edited by wrace0; 23rd Dec 2017 at 09:50.
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

It looks very cool. Those titles are definitely in need of some proofreading in order to "work" in English, though. I'm happy to offer suggestions if you need some help there.
    "A return to Nosgoth is not necessarily always welcome: only the attainment of that final gnosis will satisfy us." – Sam Zucchi

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    Demonstration of taking 7 from 50 achievements for SR1.
    Look at here.
    You mean Valve actually have you access to the SR1 setup page on the Steam servers? Did you tell them you work for SE or something?
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Lord_Aevum
    It looks very cool. Those titles are definitely in need of some proofreading in order to "work" in English, though. I'm happy to offer suggestions if you need some help there.
    Thanks. Yes, I need some help with titles because I do not spend on translation of them enough time (it is not my profile).

Vampmaster
    You mean Valve actually have you access to the SR1 setup page on the Steam servers? Did you tell them you work for SE or something?
    No, of course. Valve can't do this - only publisher/developer can give such access to the admin-interface of its game.
    But Valve gives anyone access to the its Steam API sdk with the sources of the game Spacewar (which is there on the server, though in the hidden state) with predefined 5 achievements (yes, I also do not have access to the admin-interface on Steam and for this game too, - I can have such access only for my own game after I paid $100 and only after Steam will add it and this game will pass GreenLight-procedure) and anyone can add accomodation with the Steam API for any product and can test how it works (as I did).

SR1 (as other LOK-games on Steam) do not have any achievements, though it is impossible to check accomodation with Steam API directly on the profile of this game (in the february of this year I suggested SE to add some achievements just for tests - they are thinking about this all this time - so I found another way for checks).

Achievements for any game on Steam are added by such steps:
    1) in the admin interface of the game one needs to write achievements data (id, name, description, image; may be translations on other languages) - it is the very simple and not time-consuming procedure; in the same place one can add also accomodation of the game with the Steam Cloud (to store saves, for example) - as I understand this option is automated and it is not needed additional fixes for the game (anyway, if the quota on the Steam Cloud for the game is 0 - as it is so for all LOK-games - it is impossible to store anything even through Steam API);
    2) may be it is needed to update game-files (through new version of the game or just through DLC - I do not see any problems with this for any other games including the game Nosgoth, though CM said about some problems with updating content of LOK-games); in the case of SR1 it is updated existed already winplay.dll (compiled by myself file - I sent its sources for SE to prove this fact; I am about already existed on the Steam or gog version of this file) + some additional new dlls and files (including ones for the updated sound engine - though it is optional and can be disabled at any moment) + may be correct version of kain2.exe (with removed my additions, though it does not matter);
    3) of course, it is needed to add for the game accomodation with the Steam API and to test it, - of course, this part is the most time-consuming (in the comparison with 2 parts above, of course, - with the enough knowledge of the game engine it is not problem to find the appropriate places inside the game for injecting your own functions to check the states which is required to obtain any achievement, and this can be done either if one has sources of the game - i.e. direct modification of sources by developer - or if you do not have them - i.e. modification of the game code by injections in the memory of the process), but it can be done without access to the admin-interface as I demonstrated early.

With 2 first steps done, instead of 2 achievements at any time (Winner and Champion from Spacewar) will be shown only one (with the correct name and image). Physically for this change of behavior it is needed just to replace the number in the file steam_appid.txt (i.e. to change id of the game Spacewar into the id of the game SR1) or just to remove it (if one launches the game directly through Steam). (Yes, there is branching inside the code for this.)

I can help with translations too if you want me to. Also, since its possible to do all this in steam and you appear to have some rapport with SE, maybe its possible to make it so that users can download their preferred language for the game. All that would change realistically is the locals.pc and voices.dat.

Sure, we could also just find the corresponding locals.pc and voices.dat file ourselves, but doesnt hurt, no?

CMs (of Nosgoth, for example) have contacts with SE.
    I tried to show SE that it is not problem for fans to add, say, achievements for the LOK-games (by code them to prove my own words that I said them in february) and they need to spend very small time for this, but the policy of SE is remained the same - "we do not have plans to do anything with LOK-games".
    The same thing are the correct and about adding localizations (yep, existed and unofficial or official - i.e. by buing license from SE) for the LOK-games.
    Also it seems that all improvements are not needed and for fans too.

So I think that it is better to spend your own time on the projects, publishers/developers of which either support them for now or already created the tool for their modification by fans. For example, as Blizzard doing now - for Diablo-1/Diablo-2 (HD-remakes) or Starcraft (for the last one fans created mod Starcraft Mass Recall - SC1 on the engine of SC2 since Blizzard gave them such possibility by creating StarCraft Editor + even created updated models from SC1 which were appeared in the Legacy of the Void; some days ago fans published the version 6.0 which can be additionally modified by any fan for his own purposes and I think that it is more useful to spend some time for additional modification of this project to play > 100 hours on 60 maps of original 2 campaigns of the greatest game from 1998 in the way you prefer than to spend any time on the forgotten by everyone games with about 8-hours gameplay).