Thread: (Q) Soul Reaver 1 patch list + crash report

Question (Q) Soul Reaver 1 patch list + crash report

Everything is working great! Except for random crashes...

Here's my latest attempts at installing and applying patches on my setup. And of course I got a crash to report.

Do I need to apply all the old fixes individually? The instructions on LostWorlds is out-of-date. It refers to patches that don't exist, unless of course that new patch isn't just Steam only (hopefully).

If the Nosgothica patch is really meant for Steam only, is there another all-in-one patch for the old PC version yet? I'm going to keep messing with all the old patches I still have and keep browsing for new patches (love all the new stuff I'm seeing! thank you all!). I may even be able to put all the patches together for the vanilla PC version. I've done the hex-editing before.

Here's the crash I got. I just started the game, played for about 30 minutes, and it crashed.

Here's my specs:

Any info would be most helpful.

Ok, it happend twice in the same spot. Here's a screenshot. This is in the beginning of the game when you are still getting a lot of narration from the deep voice. Specifically, the spot where Raziel mentions how he didn't "recognize the flayed racks of flesh" and how "their cent was vampiric". Right after that, there's a human in armor with a crossbow. That' when it hangs.

Crash screenshot:

Crash Data - as far as I can tell it's identical to the last one. Any ideas?

Next I'll try disabling VSync, and all the filters.

Ok, it's happening there every time. If I can get to the crossbow guy first, and take him out, then (usually) it doesn't crash. And that's with Anti-Aliasing and Anisotorpic Filtering on.

Funny thing, I seem to remember coming across this one before on Win Vista/XP... Can't remember how I got past it though...
    Last edited by TheArkyTekt; 17th Sep 2016 at 00:17. Reason: Merged multiple posts

The function at the address 0x457ced is G2AnimSection_InterpToKeylistFrame.
    For the situation above some fans wrote me that the problem in the widescreen-hook (SRHook.dll) which is included in the patch v.1.0.0.5 from nosgothica.org, so try just remove this dll from the game-folder.

About patches: is it so hard to buy Steam-version which is already included all needed patches (and for which will be created new ones)?

About listed patches: all are correct - at first one need to apply official patch and then bink-patch (in the version which was before integrating this patch into gog- and Steam-version (after that I removed it from nosgothica), it already contained official patch; also it must contained kain2.exe with removed protection or you need to install also unofficial patch from The Lost Worlds) - after that you obtained the same version that you can find on gog or Steam (but without bugged atiumdag.dll added by stupid guys from gog).

Patch v.1.0.0.5 from nosgothica.org has some additional features (and "true" kain2.exe) including reading/saving settings in the ini-file instead of registry (for this it was needed to set the game in the compatibility mode with Win-98) and this patch can be applied to any version of the game (because they all are the same).

The newest patches for SR1 (on which are I am working now) will be work only with the Steam-version to prevent fans from taking SR1 from the piracy sites (i.e. just download this game without buying it) and from gog_com too (because these guys sold bink-patch created for free for SE and for this reason this version of the game does not have any support from me and/or my team anymore).
    Support of LOK-games is the duty of Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics.

Thanks for your reply!

I tried removing the DLL and still the same crash. Also disabled filters and vsync, still crashing. I guess I'll reinstall again and carefully apply all patches.

Thanks again for all your work, and good idea for staying with Steam version :-D Hopefully one day you'll get paid for all your work!! (how many years of support??? oy!!)

Thanks and you for your words.

Since you found dgVoodoo - try it for this problem (I saw this problem ones but in the next time it does not repeated, though now I tested improved version of the game + with dgVoodoo since now I need to test added achievements and for that it is needed working Steam-overlay for SR1 and dgVoodoo also made the appropriate fix to support it).

Hah... i tried to get the overlay to work with dgvoodoo... it was more trouble than it was worth, so i removed it from sr1 (dgvoodoo is damn near mandatory on SR2, any chance that will ever be adressed in SR2, wrace0? Its ok if not.... take your time with all your projects, i can wait

Quote Originally Posted by mackdanny View Post
    Hah... i tried to get the overlay to work with dgvoodoo... it was more trouble than it was worth, so i removed it from sr1 (dgvoodoo is damn near mandatory on SR2, any chance that will ever be adressed in SR2, wrace0? Its ok if not.... take your time with all your projects, i can wait
    I've heard claims that the problems with SR2 are because of the game running to fast. If that's the case, it could be slowed down by calling the Wait/Sleep functions at the end of the main update function. G2_Main, G2_Update, G2_MainLoop or whichever it was called.

I heard something about newer machines forcing SR1 to do multithreaded that it was never designed to handle. If you can find how to stop Windows doing that, it might help. It also might be worth trying the old patch from www.thelostworlds.net in combination with the early winplay fix that just disabled the movies. That's not a permanent fix, but it would verify whether the crash has been caused by any of the newer patches.

I have an idea about the steam overlays. The game can be forced into windowed mode, but put inside a new parent window which is fullscreen. What you'd have then is all the game's graphics rendered to the child window and things like the steam overlays and the movies rendered to the parent. That might solve a few issues, but it's waiting on some stuff I have in progress that isn't finished yet. I've just moved a long distance and don't have my computer to work on it yet.

Other things I want to try are the Windows XP era DirectX dlls instead of dgVoodoo. Afterall, XP was the last time both games worked without extensive patching and I have a hunch it was something in newer versions of those files that broke the game.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

I do not have any problems neither with dgVoodoo nor with the Steam-overlay. Look at here.
    There are also another solutions to fix problems with faster machines - by using msconfig to limit memory to 4 GB or by using the solutions like this (for SR2):
    TheArkyTekt
    Using DXWnd and setting the framerate delay to 1ms helped with the issues going into the spectral realm, as well as the "Devour Soul" function. Basically, all the in-game mechanics seem to be fixed now.
    Vampmaster
    Afterall, XP was the last time both games worked without extensive patching and I have a hunch it was something in newer versions of those files that broke the game.
    Incorrect - on WinXP SR1 can't save their settings into HKLM without setting kain2.exe into compatibility mode with Win-98.
    Setting anything in the compatibility mode with Win-98 on Win-7/8/10 is leading to such fact: trainers (like your owns or myself for BO1 or SR2 for example) do not see such game.
    I do not see any difference in working of SR1 on WinXP and Win-10 (on the same or near by the hardware PC) and I use dgVoodoo for this game only with one purpose - to obtain working Steam-overlay (yeah, bug of programmers from Steam since XBox-feature from Microsoft on Win-10 displays overlay and records video and without using dgVoodoo). But I saw real improvements in the work of the game for another games (for example, for DarkStone).

For SR2 I use dgVoodoo to remove glitches with bink-intro (bad hands of CD-programmers) and with the hope to fix some other rare bugs in this game (I saw them and on WinXP too). But - with the test purpose - I created bink-hook (which conflicts with dgVoodoo though) which also solves this problem with bink-intro by replacing engine from CD by the same one that is used in SR1. The appropriate patches can be found on my OneDrive (link in my signature): there are 2 versions - 1) exe-file that patches sr2.exe (just renames advapi32.dll -> advapi33.dll), 2) zip-file that just containes all needed files + already patched sr2.exe for version 1.0.2.

I just wanted to clarify... my comment about using DXWnd was regarding SR2. I don't use any wrappers with SR1 (so far). Doesn't seem to need it.

Because you do not need Steam-overlay for SR1, - as I said above, I use dgVoodoo for SR1 only for this purpose (yep, because Steam-programmers do not have the same skill as MS-programmers - I am about XBox-overlay on Win-10 which works perfectly and in SR1 too + also without any wrappers; moreover, Steam-overlay through dgVoodoo conflicts with XBox-feature - i.e. in one moment can be displayed only one of them, though the XBox-feature for recording gameplay-progress by hotkey is remained anyway).
    Yes, SR1 can work on modern OS (including Win-10) and without wrappers + without compatibility mode with any older OS (though one thing is still needed on the compatibility page - "disable image scaling at hi-res of screen" - without this fix screen of many old games look strange).

My personal milestone for SR1 compatibility / stability

For the sake of documenting and to help others out:

*** of course I can't take credit for any of this - I just copy/pasted from the forum threads ***

Just wanted to report that I had success with getting SR1 PC version (meaning not GOG or Steam) to run stable on Win10 x64, and saving saving game settings in the registry with compatibility settings so that the opening dialog remembers the settings.

My Specs (so you know what config works for me):

Current patches / hex edits:

COMPATIBILITY SETTINGS

I've had crash issues with winplay.dll v1.0.0.5 (latest release from Nosgothica.org) with and without SRHook.dll (no saving settings to INI file on PC version for me ) Granted it is for the Steam version so it makes sense to not work so well with my vanilla PC version.

Currently experiencing no issues with sound loops (yet). That didn't take long... :P Got my first sound loop in the early stages of the silenced cathedral.

I'm still in the process of trying to manually add hex edits to implement as many features as possible, and texting each increment for stability (on my system of course).
    Last edited by TheArkyTekt; 17th Sep 2016 at 00:18.

Wink

I know more simple instruction instead of this one: just install Steam-version of SR1 and (optionally) apply winplay.dll v.1.0.0.5. That's all.

Do you understand that your (and Vampmasters) problems with ini-file just because you have very low knowledge about the newest OS, which features are known even by Steam-programmers?
    Anyone who installed Steam-version of SR1 (or just installed SR1 manually into any folder excepting one in the Program Files) do not have any problems with kain2.ini. It is because newest OSs have strong protection of the system-files and ones in the folder Program Files, though if you just copy the files (it is the same as using old installer) of old game (or old software) into protected folders, you MUST give (MANUALLY) the appropriate rights for your new folder even if you use admin-profile (or you can just install the game from Steam, because they know this feature, hence they already applied needed rights for full Steam-folder).
    I do not have any problems neither for Steam-version of SR1 nor for its copy in the folder C:\games (though I do not remember - may be I changed rights for subfolder of SR1 inside this last folder).

About compatibility settings - hm, strange: on WinXP only setting compatibility mode with Win98 allows to save registry settings into the HKLM-root of registry. On Win-10 - as I see - for this is enough to use compatibility mode with WinXP (and run as admin).
    Anyway, software/game shoud NOT save its usual settings into HKLM.
    TheArkyTekt
    but no path information for EXE and resource files (which isn't needed anymore - probably because of the latest patches).
    Because these settings are never used by the game (you can just look at the code of kain2.exe). It is one more evidence of low knowledge of SR1 by gog-team (hm, I saw more stupid things by them for some games) and current SE/CD-team.
    The same ones are used by SR2, for example (before applying small patches - I mean small hex-fixes for exe physically or just in memory of the process - for disabling such unneeded behavior, of course).

TheArkyTekt
    Granted it is for the Steam version so it makes sense to not work so well with my vanilla PC version.
    You need to understand - now there are no Steam- or gog- versions of any LOK-game.
    Steam-version = gog-version = original version of SR1 with applied official patch + bink-patch (made by fans, not by gog).

TheArkyTekt
    I'm still in the process of trying to manually add hex edits to implement as many features as possible, and texting each increment for stability (on my system of course).
    Do you have hope to replace/improve sound-engine only by hex-edits? Good luck.
    It is the same as replacing movie-engine in the same way.
    Though I saw the solution for sound-problems in the same way like dgVoodoo or DXWnd do, but they just solve some bugs. In such way impossible to change or improve existing behavior of sound-engine (like changing sound-tracks at the borders of locations or adding additional effects for different surround) + it is closed code anyway.

TheArkyTekt
    Current patches / hex edits:
    5) Hex edits for 60 fps

Originally Posted by Tos
    Offset 0x00384F7 and 0x038509: Change the 21 (33 in decimal) at these locations to the milliseconds between frames of the framerate you want. You can figure this out by dividing 1000 by the framerate (1000 / 30 is 33, for instance).
    Hm, as I said early, I did this already (and for hotkeys too) for the new version of winplay.dll (for that to have these useful features without additional dll), though I found these addresses inside SRHook.dll (hm, it seems that I can just to look in the forum posts), since I used this feature as is and without any changes.
    And as in the case of SRHook.dll, this setting is optional and can be enabled/disabled by the appropriate setting in kain2.ini (FPSLimit_60=1).
    You can't do the same for the hotkeys (also as to add optional feature for enabling/disabling such fixes) because you will need additional space for the new instructions (which can be obtained only in the additional dll or exe - like in Vampmasters trainers).

TheArkyTekt
    Currently experiencing no issues with sound loops (yet). That didn't take long... :P Got my first sound loop in the early stages of the silenced cathedral.
    Yeah, Silenced Cathedral. When one fan tested new sound engine, he said that in this location there were strong bugs with sound.
    It is interesting that I do not have any problems with sound on any PC with any OS by myself. (I heart them in the first time when I tested some fixes in the code for the new sound-engine).

Quote Originally Posted by wrace0 View Post
    Do you understand that your (and Vampmasters) problems with ini-file just because you have very low knowledge about the newest OS, which features are known even by Steam-programmers?
    Anyone who installed Steam-version of SR1 (or just installed SR1 manually into any folder excepting one in the Program Files) do not have any problems with kain2.ini. It is because newest OSs have strong protection of the system-files and ones in the folder Program Files, though if you just copy the files (it is the same as using old installer) of old game (or old software) into protected folders, you MUST give (MANUALLY) the appropriate rights for your new folder even if you use admin-profile (or you can just install the game from Steam, because they know this feature, hence they already applied needed rights for full Steam-folder).
    I do not have any problems neither for Steam-version of SR1 nor for its copy in the folder C:\games (though I do not remember - may be I changed rights for subfolder of SR1 inside this last folder).
    I'm aware that any files that get stored in Program Files require you to run as administrator in order to edit. That's one of the problems I had with the ini file. It's also a problem with saving and loading game saves, because it the game will crash in both cases unless I run as administrator. I think the reason it's needed for loading must be because the game is set to use write access when it only wants to load a game save.

Other problems with with needing administrator rights is that my trainer and Cheat Engine (and all debuggers) must have the same rights as the executable. It's very easy to forget this if you allowed the game to install in it's default location and aren't aware of the problem.

(I installed from a CD I bought years ago that put it in Program Files. The CDs are still legal, and don't need authorisation from Steam or GoG. Those are just distributors, not owners.)

What I think would be the best solution it to get the game save files out of the exe directory and put them in C:/Documents/Soul Reaver like SR2 does. The ini file should also get a new home. We should have a look where SR2 puts similar files to the ini file. Perhaps the kain2.arg file should go there as well, once I've got the game loading from that.

The other problem I have with the ini file is that the code to use it isn't complete. Some places will read from it but others will still write the settings to the old location. The code that reads/writes from the registry is loaded from a system dll, so what I would propose is putting a replacement dll on the exe's folder and having that read/write to the ini file instead. Since programs always look in their own directory first, it would find that before the system one.

You never fully explained to md what the ini file was needed for. I know it's needed for the extra features but when I asked why those couldn't have gone in the registry, you just said there were some bugs and instead of explaining what the bugs were, you just accused me of hating the Russian language. That's not true, but I still don't want to have to support it in the patches or trainers I personally make, because I don't have time to learn it and provide support for that very large feature. As I've said before, you're welcome to use any of my code in your own patches, but if you want Russian language versions of a feature I wrote, you'll have to add that yourself. The same goes for any other language that anyone might want. They will need to do that themselves.

So, if after admin rights issue is addressed, the registry still doesn't work, then I think the dll suggestion will be the safer one, because it requires less asm changes and means there's much less chance of settings being missed out.

I also know that the dll idea goes against what I said about not wanting the user to have to manage lot of dll, however if it's a crucial fix needed for the game to run, then that's an exception to the rule and also, I have a really cool idea for a plugin system where you tick the boxes of the non-critical ones on the initial dialog box. It just provides a list of the dlls in the plugins folder and the user can just choose from that.
    Last edited by Vampmaster; 18th Sep 2016 at 12:41.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Vampmaster
    I'm aware that any files that get stored in Program Files require you to run as administrator in order to edit. That's one of the problems I had with the ini file. It's also a problem with saving and loading game saves, because it the game will crash in both cases unless I run as administrator. I think the reason it's needed for loading must be because the game is set to use write access when it only wants to load a game save.

Other problems with with needing administrator rights is that my trainer and Cheat Engine (and all debuggers) must have the same rights as the executable. It's very easy to forget this if you allowed the game to install in it's default location and aren't aware of the problem.
    As I know, it is possible just to change rights on the folder (though I can't explained on english how one needs to do this) to avoid any problems with running executables from it. Though I prefer to create such folder in any other place excepting Program Files (I think that it is very bad behavior for software / games which is made by MS - any software / game must have exclusive rights on its own folder / subfolders everywhere excepting Windows-folder).

Vampmaster
    (I installed from a CD I bought years ago that put it in Program Files. The CDs are still legal, and don't need authorisation from Steam or GoG. Those are just distributors, not owners.)
    The problem is in the fact that CD- and gog- versions of the games now have no protection (i.e. they are the same as piracy-version just downloaded from any place). In such case additional problems with incorrectly installed game look like additional protection (which is applied by default by Steam).
    I also had CD-version (i.e. DVD with updated my own installers with the last version of the games with all applied fixes created and by myself too), but I do not have any problems to buy SR1 on Steam as stand-along game (yeah, the same copy as I already had - with our bink-patch) and - then - as part of pack of LOK-games (SR1, SR2, BO2, Defiance, Nosgoth). (Hm, in my case it was also another reason - I ported on Steam all my/our guides for these games from my site + additional files and now I have easy access to them inside of any LOK-game without using Alt+Tab to view chm with the same content, as it was early.) Also as I did not have problems early to buy localized (officially) versions of several games (BO2 and Defiance) though I had already another versions of them.

Vampmaster
    What I think would be the best solution it to get the game save files out of the exe directory and put them in C:/Documents/Soul Reaver like SR2 does. The ini file should also get a new home. We should have a look where SR2 puts similar files to the ini file. Perhaps the kain2.arg file should go there as well, once I've got the game loading from that.
    We talked already about this feature (to place ini- / save- / arg- files into My Documents), and I also think that this can be good solution (though I am not sure that can't be any problems with localized paths on any other OS excepting Win-10), but now it seems also that such behavior (problems with ini-file and saves for anyone who installs the game not from Steam) is like additional protection from non-Steam versions (yes, I understand that it is just trading place).

Vampmaster
    The other problem I have with the ini file is that the code to use it isn't complete. Some places will read from it but others will still write the settings to the old location. The code that reads/writes from the registry is loaded from a system dll, so what I would propose is putting a replacement dll on the exe's folder and having that read/write to the ini file instead. Since programs always look in their own directory first, it would find that before the system one.
    Nope. Now winplay.dll for SR1 fully replaced functions for registry in such way:
    DWORD REG, oldProtect;
    switch(version)
    {
    case 2: REG=0x4EC000; break;
    }
    VirtualProtect((void*)REG, 20, 0x04, &oldProtect);
    SR1.Write(REG+4*0, (DWORD) &ReqCreateKeyExA);
    SR1.Write(REG+4*1, (DWORD) &ReqSetValueExA);
    SR1.Write(REG+4*2, (DWORD) &ReqCloseKey);
    SR1.Write(REG+4*3, (DWORD) &ReqOpenKeyExA);
    SR1.Write(REG+4*4, (DWORD) &ReqQueryValueExA);
    VirtualProtect((void*)REG, 20, oldProtect, &oldProtect);
    by my own functions which do not read the registry at all (though it is possible just to add fix HKLM -> HKCU for paths + replace some additional parameters and to read from / write to registry as before) + have such predefined default settings for the first run of the game with ini-file (below is the part of code, n - default setting):
    if(!strcmp("Filter", lpValueName)) n = 1;
    if(!strcmp("GammaLevel", lpValueName)) n = 5;
    //if(!strcmp("RenderDeviceID", lpValueName)) n = 2;
    if(!strcmp("ScreenWidth", lpValueName)) n = 800;
    if(!strcmp("ScreenHeight", lpValueName)) n = 600;
    if(!strcmp("ScreenDepth", lpValueName)) n = 32;
    if(!strcmp("SoundDeviceID", lpValueName)) n = 1;
    if(!strcmp("VSync", lpValueName)) n = 1;
    The version that I created for SR2 does the same (though without predefined settings, since SR2 takes them by itself in right way) but one option (path for saves) is still reading from the registry (just strings from log of debug-version of dll):
    RegOpenKeyA: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders (use registry)
    RegQueryValueExA: Personal (read registry)
    RegCloseKey: hKey = 000003DC (using registry)
    RegOpenKeyA: Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders (use registry)
    RegQueryValueExA: Personal (read registry)
    RegCloseKey: hKey = 000003EC (using registry)
    (i.e. inside the fake-function ReqQueryValueExA it is existed a branch for reading this setting (and only it) from the registry using standard function RegQueryValueExA from the system's dll; of course, it is needed to have the appropriate brunch and inside some other functions).
    In the case of SR2 (since for this game there are no something like winplay.dll for SR1 which is loaded by default) I tried to replace advapi32.dll in the game-folder (like dgVoodoo or DXWnd does by replacing ddraw.dll) but the feature is in the fact that this dll (advapi32.dll) is strongly protected by the system (like user32.dll and some other) - software always read it from the folder system32. So in the case of SR2 I just renamed my own (fake) advapi32.dll as advapi33.dll and added the same fix into sr2.exe (i.e. renamed this dll).
    Early for SR1 I did the same fix (renamed advapi32.dll as winplay.dll) but after I found the solution that I wrote above (we just replace the appropriate links for the functions for registry inside kain2.exe by our ones, though advapi32.dll is still loading in such case but its functions are not used at all).

Vampmaster
    You never fully explained to md what the ini file was needed for. I know it's needed for the extra features but when I asked why those couldn't have gone in the registry, you just said there were some bugs and instead of explaining what the bugs were
    Whether? I repeated again above (in one of 3 threads) that on WinXP it was needed to set kain2.exe into compatibility mode with Win98 only for that the game can save their settings into HKLM. + for some fans on some PCs such setting (compatibility mode) either helped to solve some their individual bugs or created additional ones (I can't explained which ones because I do not have any unusual problems with SR1 ever).
    Now (on Win-10) it is needed again to set kain2.exe into compatibilty mode (hm, as TheArkyTekt wrote - with WinXP SP2) for the same purpose (of course, it is very good that not with Win98 because with such setting trainers and another software can't see the memory of the process - I checked this fact for BO1; though additional dlls do their fixes in the memory without any problems and in such case too - I checked this fact for BO1 and SR1).
    + I do not like when the game / software (especially old ones) saves its settings into the registry, especially into HKLM, though for some small set of such settings it is enough just to use ini-file.
    Also now there are additional set of settings that can be easily edited through ini-file:
    [Game]
    HideDialog=0
    HideDialogAfterFirstRun=1
    SkipLogos=0
    SkipLogosAfterFirstRun=1
    TextLanguage=ru
    FPSLimit_60=1
    betaSpiral=1
    soundFix=1
    musicDynamic=1

[Hotkeys]
    ; possible: A-Z
    ; ~ - open debug menu
    Enable=1
    SpeedUp=M
    PossessMonster=H
    Teleport2Possessed=J
    Camera2RazielAfterTeleport=1

[Main]
    RunCount=515
    Windowed=0
    RenderDeviceID=2
    SoundDeviceID=2
    ScreenWidth=1366
    ScreenHeight=768
    ScreenDepth=32
    TripleBuffer=0
    Filter=1
    VSync=1

[music.lvls]
    ; level(|#|##) = music id
    fire=11
    soundg=12
    stone=13
    push1=14
    bonus1=15
    pillars=16
    pillars1=16
    pillars9=9
    chrono1=17
    chrono10=6
    chrono11=6
    chrono12=6
    chrono13=6
    chrono14=6

[music.ids]
    ; id = file (1-10 - original tracks in music.dat, 11-99 - new)
    11=music\TheLivingEnd.mp3
    12=music\DarkEden.wav
    13=music\Nupraptor.mp3
    14=music\Dollmaker.wav
    15=music\TrailerMusic.mp3
    16=music\DefMainTitle.mp3
    17=music\Kain_vs_Raziel.mp3
    (+ yes, sections for localizations of strings and even Debug Menu for other languages, in very simple format:
    english string = localized string
    in the case of Debug Menu I just added loop which reads english string of each menuItem and replaced it by the localized version which is taked from the appropriate section of ini-file and can be edited by anyone at any time for the more correct version, for example).
    As you can see, usual settings of the game (the section [Main]) is just very small part of full list + they (additional options) are not needed for the most players (they just will use default settings).

Vampmaster
    I also know that the dll idea goes against what I said about not wanting the user to have to manage lot of dll, however if it's a crucial fix needed for the game to run, then that's an exception to the rule and also, I have a really cool idea for a plugin system where you tick the boxes of the non-critical ones on the initial dialog box. It just provides a list of the dlls in the plugins folder and the user can just choose from that.
    As I said early, now I had the appropriate settings for each added feature (excepting bink-engine and nocd-fix, of course) to have possibility to disable them all (though excepting using ini-file instead of registry since crash of the game is due to using non-Steam-version of the game with incorrect rights of the game-folder + with additional problems with saving game too) and check the work of game without them (though there is more simple way - just to use original Steam-version, for example: i.e. winplay.dll only with bink-support, though there are some improvements and for it too, - for example, possibility of changing volume of bink-movies; also for SR2 I made slightly improved version of bink-support like SR2 has - i.e. with displayed dark-lines at the top and bottom - though bink-movies for SR2 have size 640x360 in comparison with ones for SR1; with the proper movies the same effect can be added and for SR1 too).
    I.e. settings (triggers) inside ini-file instead of boxes (the same feature but without graphical interface).
    Though idea with plugins is interesting (we can easily load any dll into the memory of the process as I now do with SRHook.dll), but the truth is in the fact that now only we (you and I) do some actions with original SR1 and in such case we can just to use one sources of one dll just with modules (functions) which are written by one or other (in such case anyone can see which addresses are used another to avoid any conflicts between the modules).