Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 39

Thread: Thoughts on Marrakesh

  1. #1

    Thoughts on Marrakesh

    So I just hit level 20, and wanted to offer some initial feedback.

    The good:

    • I really like the scenario and the background info given.
    • The diegetic music in the level is great! Really sells the atmosphere.
    • Love 47's Summer Suit
    • The marketplace feels real and alive.
    • Getting around the Consulate was suitably challenging, with lots of Enforcers.
    • The school works nicely, and I really like the different military disguises.
    • The map overall feels suitably large, about equal to Sapienza. Keep it up!


    The bad:

    • Having noticeably fewer Opportunities than Paris or Sapienza is a little unfortunate, but perhaps inevitable with increased difficulty.


    That's all for now, what do you guys and gals think?

  2. #2
    Difficult to say yet. I finished it just once (Witcher 3 and some other stuff kept me busy yesterday :-()
    But so far I liked it a lot.
    On a first impression it felt there is not so many freedom, paths and side areas as in previous levels (but I probably missed many).
    But I like that this time they put targets on oposite side of the map. Paris and Italy had both targets in same building so it felt smaller. This time it is like two separated missions in one. It is nice change of pace.
    Only dissapointment for me are mastery rewards. This time it feels like it is not giving me anything usefull. For example Italy give me better sniper rifle, so it makes Paris sniping challenges easier. So far it seems there is nothing I will really use.

    Really looking when I play it more.

  3. #3
    dont like it. reminds me too much of Sapienza but with a more dry and uninteresting setting. wouldve rather them skip it completely and dedicate the time to Thailand and USA. also the VOICE WORK IS STILL AMERICAN WTF.

  4. #4
    Worse than Sapienza. Uninteresting location, less stuff to do. The american voice work in a African city really sells it, indeed.

    DX12 still broken as hell, high resolution textures are not working, despite being used in the settings: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=189329

  5. #5
    Overall I like the level design except the school. That's when it kind of turns into a very generic cover-based stealth game, with a military-conversion setting to boot.

    But the voice acting, oh my... It's really bad this time. Walking through the markets, I hear the same British voice unconvincingly trying to sell me different things. Sometimes I would have her barking in one ear only to knock into another random female NPC and hear the same voice at the same time. I'd prefer much less voice acting if it meant getting a wider variety of actors, because this is getting very cringeworthy.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarwel_Idiriz View Post
    Only dissapointment for me are mastery rewards. This time it feels like it is not giving me anything usefull. For example Italy give me better sniper rifle, so it makes Paris sniping challenges easier. So far it seems there is nothing I will really use.

    Really looking when I play it more.
    Yeah, I'm curious as to hoe the Remote CX Block differs from the Remote Mine, if at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by DIEFROMTHECRABZ View Post
    ...also the VOICE WORK IS STILL AMERICAN WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredsss View Post
    The american voice work in a African city really sells it, indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneten View Post
    But the voice acting, oh my... It's really bad this time. Walking through the markets, I hear the same British voice unconvincingly trying to sell me different things. Sometimes I would have her barking in one ear only to knock into another random female NPC and hear the same voice at the same time. I'd prefer much less voice acting if it meant getting a wider variety of actors, because this is getting very cringeworthy.
    I don't know why you'd expect the voice actors to change when clearly this is how it's going to be for every level. Doesn't bother me in the slightest to be honest, but even if it did, expecting it to change half way through the game is crazy.

  7. #7
    It bummed me out that when I managed to sneak into the Consulate in my Suit, the security could still see through my disguise. What? I'm in an office building with a bunch of white men wearing suits? How is it that obvious I don't belong?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation View Post
    So I just hit level 20
    Already?!!

    Just kidding, i would have done it myself until now but i have a lot of other things on my mind right now.

    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    I really like the scenario and the background info given.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    Love 47's Summer Suit
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    The marketplace feels real and alive.
    Agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    Getting around the Consulate was suitably challenging, with lots of Enforcers.
    Agree again.
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    The school works nicely.
    So far i don't like the school, don't know why, i have to play more.

    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation
    The map overall feels suitably large, about equal to Sapienza.
    Agree again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Agarwel_Idiriz View Post
    On a first impression it felt there is not so many freedom
    Same
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarwel_Idiriz
    But I like that this time they put targets on oposite side of the map.
    That is what i like the most.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agarwel_Idiriz
    Only dissapointment for me are mastery rewards. This time it feels like it is not giving me anything usefull. For example Italy give me better sniper rifle, so it makes Paris sniping challenges easier. So far it seems there is nothing I will really use.
    Totally agree, so far is realy disappointing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Romania
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Quajek View Post
    It bummed me out that when I managed to sneak into the Consulate in my Suit, the security could still see through my disguise. What? I'm in an office building with a bunch of white men wearing suits? How is it that obvious I don't belong?
    I noticed that too and i thing is wrong.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sapienza
    Posts
    742
    hmm. Love the look & ambient sound. The comical dialogue negates any tension the level tries to bring. Why does everyone in Marrakesh have x-ray vision? This obsession with huge crowds isn't really doing anything for the game but showing off art dept. Guards spot 47 through these huge crowds and then start opening fire. WE REALLY NEED HUMAN SHIELD MORE THAN EVER. THERE IS NO POINT AT ALL IN FAKE SURRENDERING.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbianco View Post
    Guards spot 47 through these huge crowds and then start opening fire. WE REALLY NEED HUMAN SHIELD MORE THAN EVER. THERE IS NO POINT AT ALL IN FAKE SURRENDERING.
    Did you expect the crowds to actually work as visual concealment? That's not how it works, mate. I Imagine that would be an unbelievably complex a thing to program.

  12. #12
    I've been playing it for only 4 hours yet, my feedback:

    positive:
    - background story is going to be my favorite
    - I found 9 remote explosives and 1 lethal poison on the level, which is great
    - some challenges are really creative

    negative:
    - performance is worse than it was on previous 2 maps, and using lower graphic settings doesn't help
    - performance on roofs is awful, I can understand that but still I'm sure you can do much better
    - coins on the floor? really? overall city looks more well-off than I expected
    - american accents, m4 instead of ak47

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation View Post
    Did you expect the crowds to actually work as visual concealment? That's not how it works, mate. I Imagine that would be an unbelievably complex a thing to program.
    They were able to do it pretty effectively in Assassin's Creed III on last-gen consoles. You'd walk into a crowd of people, and guards wouldn't see you unless you did something weird.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonoum View Post
    - coins on the floor? really? overall city looks more well-off than I expected
    - american accents, m4 instead of ak47
    What's wrong with the coins?

    In Marrakesh, the soldiers having AR-15's is just as likely as them having Kalashnikovs.

  15. #15
    Love the Mission:Impossible style backstory of saving a whole nation (plus getting to a dude inside an "impenetrable" consulate). Good job to the writers, and thanks for not giving us another gratuitously stupid non-assassination puzzle (like destroying a virus).

    I'm exclusively a very silent assassin and personally found this much trickier than many other Hitman levels to not be spotted. Still zero non-target kills, but looking forward to being cleaner in future playthroughs.

    I was actually anticipating seeing that same mercenary guy in the post-level cutscene. Too bad he didn't show his face this time, just his apparent handiwork.

    Sapienza is less claustrophobic with wider open spaces that make it feel like a larger area. I like the Moroccan setting and really admire what the team accomplished with Marrakesh interiors and NPCs, but giving us some more room to breathe would have heightened the "breathing" part of the living, breathing world.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation View Post
    Did you expect the crowds to actually work as visual concealment? That's not how it works, mate. I Imagine that would be an unbelievably complex a thing to program.
    You know Absolution had a crowd concealment mechanic, right? And while Blood Money didn't have such a mechanic, if you were being shot at in a crowd it would hit other NPCs (and you could use a human shield).

    In HITMAN™, guards shoot you with laser precision through huge crowds while everybody screams despite being impervious to the bullets. Feels like a step backwards.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kaneten View Post
    You know Absolution had a crowd concealment mechanic, right? And while Blood Money didn't have such a mechanic, if you were being shot at in a crowd it would hit other NPCs (and you could use a human shield).

    I'd actually forgotten all about that (I try to block out Absolution as much as possible ). That was a "hide in middle of crowd" only wasn't it? Being on the other side of it wouldn't work I don't think...

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    156
    Unique, Massive, but Messy. Huge crowd but it feel smaller than previous maps. Less escape points.

    Metal Detector Gates at consulate Building is not working, so it's useless. I though it will detect any fire-arms weapon, but it's not. It could bring an immersion stuff to the gameplay since like in the bloodmoney.

    But overall Still Awesome in my opinion.
    Last edited by robotx17; 2nd Jun 2016 at 10:30.

  19. #19
    Not bad, I like it better than Paris, but I am not as impressed with it as I was Sapienza.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbianco View Post
    definitely smaller than Sapienza. Cracks me up how everyone was thinking this would be the largest map of all time, due to some idiot making his own "leaked videos" of pure speculation . You know who you are. I think they really need to add one more exit point near the "riot". The car in the garage is too much of a grind to get to.
    Out of interest, who thought that it was going to be the largest map ever?

  21. #21
    i knew it would be smaller than Sapienza. you could tell from the trailers it was going to be small and they just used wide panning camera angles in the trailer to make it look huge.

  22. #22
    I love these complaints.

    This is the best map yet to me. No, it does not have the glamour of Paris or the beauty of Sapienza, but it is the toughest map yet. It has the funniest assassination in the game so far and the sniping opportunities are great (even though Sapienza's were better). The area actually is quite large; it just seems small because of the congestion.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by RW_Slick View Post
    I love these complaints.

    This is the best map yet to me. No, it does not have the glamour of Paris or the beauty of Sapienza, but it is the toughest map yet. It has the funniest assassination in the game so far and the sniping opportunities are great (even though Sapienza's were better). The area actually is quite large; it just seems small because of the congestion.
    ^ This. I think every map so far has raised the difficulty just the right amount to keep it interesting. My first time trying to get around the second floor of the Consulate I was like, damn... so many Enforcers!

    On the subject of the Consulate, did anybody else get vibes of the Rehab Clinic and a touch of Club Heaven from Blood Money?

  24. #24
    Enforcers are not even a big deal. This is why you have to explore a level and get shot up a few times before you can really dive in. Every level has a "Starman" disguise and Marrakesh has more than one, depending upon where you are. Even the ICA training and final exam had them.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by RW_Slick View Post
    Enforcers are not even a big deal. This is why you have to explore a level and get shot up a few times before you can really dive in. Every level has a "Starman" disguise and Marrakesh has more than one, depending upon where you are. Even the ICA training and final exam had them.
    I just meant getting around the Consulate as a Guard. More Guards are Enforcers than not (or at least is seemed that way, I haven't counted). Once I found it was easier with a Janitor disguise, I switched to that.

    Anyway...

    Playing more of Marrakesh, I actually prefer it to Sapienza. Sapienza, while great, feels a bit too much like a showpiece, whereas Marrakesh feels like a more well thought out level. Marrakesh isn't as immediately impressive as Sapienza, but yields more promise over time. I appreciate the appropriate jump in difficulty too, which comes from a tighter level design than Sapienza. I think more of Marrakesh is more obviously purposeful than Sapienza (the latter's church area for example).

    I really like the contrast between the bustling, dusty street markets & Bazaar; the clean, crisp lines of the Swedish Consulate; and the derelict school building. I love the diegetic street music, as mentioned in my OP, and a new piece of the score which came with this episode, which is my favourite piece so far.

    Oh, and I like that it only shares two disguises with any of the previous levels (the waiter outfit from Sapienza, and the lone CICADA Bodyguard at the private bar).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •