Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70

Thread: The Off Topic Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488

    The Off Topic Thread

    With some of the threads around here lately going off topic and with tempers flaring in others, I thought it might be a nice idea to have a dedicated off topic thread where we can all shoot the breeze, talk about something else besides Hitman, get to know each other a little bit better, and hopefully calm down and come together as fellow Hitman fans!

    So then, who will start? What's everyone's favorite food? What TV show are you currently into?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    214
    I've been noticing the tempers flaring on this forum and over at hitmanforum - good call on setting this thread up.

    Nothing like some Boards of Canada and coffee to wind down at the end of the day. How bout you, Mr. Driber?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,624
    Last weekend, I went to the theatres to see Hardcore Henry, which I'd been heavily anticipating for quite some time. It all started when I stumbled upon the music video for Biting Elbow's single, 'Bad Mother--' which was completely in first-person and chock full of non-stop action. Not long after that video's debut, a preview called 'Hardcore' surfaced on YouTube, which would eventually become Hardcore Henry.

    I must admit that I found it to be utterly brilliant. It was a little outlandish and excessive, but not in Rob Zombie territory in terms of uncouth and lewd content. It was essentially non-stop action and highly entertaining, but I did leave the theatres slightly dizzy, which I found odd considering that I am a huge Mirror's Edge fan and have clocked in many hours of gameplay with both Mirror's Edge and Dying Light. I guess a first-person film had a different effect on the eyes and there was a lot of camera movement.

    I had a blast, though, and to my surprise and pleasure, there were only three people (my boyfriend and I included) in attendance. I have this weird thing about going to the theatre; if there's a healthy amount of people, I'm usually slightly miserable due to minor claustrophobia and agoraphobia, and the paranoia that people will talk. I absolutely cannot stand noise in the theatre, which is why I'll usually wait a week or two before going to see a new film, or I will avoid it altogether and rent the film from RedBox when it's available. I never go to films on launch day unless it's a James Bond film and I made an exception to that rule for The Gallows, because I was breaking my neck to see that gem.

    Has anyone watched Hardcore Henry yet? What were your thoughts about it? What about going to the theatre; any opinions, memorable stories or personal do's and don'ts?

    (click image to enlarge)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    244
    Shrimp Linguine, a bottle of Riunite Lambrusco )750mL), and a short-marathon of Homeland on Showtime Anytime is good for me, with or without company lol .

  5. #5
    Haven't seen Hardcore Henry yet, but glad to hear you're a fellow Mirror's Edge fan! Mirror's Edge Catalyst and No Man's Sky are the only other games this year that are on my radar. Can. Not. Wait.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    244
    Ah yes... here comes the wave of Populist Trump Supporters LOL.

    I'm still with bernie, he has his head screwed on straight...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation View Post
    Haven't seen Hardcore Henry yet, but glad to hear you're a fellow Mirror's Edge fan! Mirror's Edge Catalyst and No Man's Sky are the only other games this year that are on my radar. Can. Not. Wait.
    Yes! Here's hoping I get an invite to the beta this Friday. I registered the moment it was announced and I've been a Frontrunner since they started doing that, so I would be surprised if I didn't receive one. Fingers crossed, though. I haven't been following No Man's Sky that much, but from what I have seen, it looks right up my alley.

    Are you not interested in Uncharted 4, Mafia 3 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

    (click image to enlarge)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Valenka View Post
    Yes! Here's hoping I get an invite to the beta this Friday. I registered the moment it was announced and I've been a Frontrunner since they started doing that, so I would be surprised if I didn't receive one. Fingers crossed, though. I haven't been following No Man's Sky that much, but from what I have seen, it looks right up my alley.

    Are you not interested in Uncharted 4, Mafia 3 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?
    I totally forgot about Uncharted 4! Definitely that as well, great series. Wasn't a huge fan of Mafia 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution so I'll be skipping those two.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,624
    Quote Originally Posted by doom-generation View Post
    I totally forgot about Uncharted 4! Definitely that as well, great series. Wasn't a huge fan of Mafia 2 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution so I'll be skipping those two.
    Fair enough. Uncharted 4 and Mirror's Edge Catalyst are the top two on my radar. I keep telling myself, "I swear to God, if Nate or Elena die I will not be responsible for my actions."

    (click image to enlarge)

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    Ah yes... here comes the wave of Populist Trump Supporters LOL.

    I'm still with bernie, he has his head screwed on straight...

    What made you say that?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Sapienza
    Posts
    742
    the moderators over there are the problem. Favoritism to certain members because either they've visited IOI or are donors to the forum.

  12. #12
    This thread is a cool idea. Glad to get to shoot the * with you guys. I haven't seen Hardcore Henry, but will probably rent it in the future. I'm a huge film guy. Recently optioned my first screenplay. If you guys ever get a chance, I have five of my unsolicited scripts on my website, which I created today as a way to let people sample my stuff. It's www.seansaffari.com - I have a horror film that was inspired by the Danganronpa games on there, a sci-fi action film, and three crime thrillers. I basically write all day, everyday... My goal is to eventually write a good Hitman movie for all of us. If I'm signed by Benderspink soon, who did the Hangover movies, I'm going to ask if I can write a Hitman spec and see if it's even possible to negotiate with Fox about it. I want to do a version of the film that starts with Hitman having retired like in the earlier games where he was in the monastery in Sicily, but the agency wants to snuff him out for what he knows. Diana would warn him and he'd go all Jason Bourne trying to take the agency down for killing the people who he had grown accustomed to. I'd want to mix all my favorite levels like the meat king's party, the heaven and hell party, maybe even the showstopper locale and bookend it all with that scenario from Contracts where he's injured in the hotel in France in the beginning and has a showdown with the swat team at the end. It's always been a dream of mine to write a Hitman movie, so maybe soon...

    But anyway, I've been marathoning The Magicians from Syfy and I'm loving it. I also just watched all of season 5 & 6 of The Walking Dead last week and really enjoyed myself. I'm with you Valenka. I despise movie theaters. The last time I went was for Deadpool and it was definitely worth it. I listen to movie news podcasts all day, so I stay up to date and don't feel the need to see a film in theaters and just buy them on Amazon VOD later. Given the option to spend 12 bucks for a ticket or 14.99 to own it in HD forever, I choose the latter every time.

    I can't wait for Uncharted 4, even though I've never really been huge on the series' light-hearted stories or somewhat repetitive shooting sequences. I've been playing a lot of Dark Souls III and Ratchet and Clank as well while waiting for Sapienza to release. I also just finished Quantum Break and wasn't very impressed. Anybody here a fan of Persona 4 golden?

  13. #13
    @TwistedChrome Ah man that's great, congrats! I'm also a huge film guy and love screenwriting too, but I'm not as good about writing everyday Working on a low budget feature in my area that's in a lull in production at the moment (the director is an ), off somebody else's script, but hoping to get one of my own produced someday

    I've kicked around some ideas about a Hitman movie too, let's compare notes

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by radioteque View Post
    I've been noticing the tempers flaring on this forum and over at hitmanforum - good call on setting this thread up.

    Nothing like some Boards of Canada and coffee to wind down at the end of the day. How bout you, Mr. Driber?
    Never heard of Boards of Canada. What is that, radioteque?

    I myself recently have been kinda hooked on a series called Gold Rush. It's a reality tv show about a bunch of cowboys and rednecks turned inept gold miners trying their luck hitting it big in Alaska. They constantly fail and make the most crazy and idiotic decisions. Yet you still want to root for them. The show is funny, interesting and cringy all at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    Ah yes... here comes the wave of Populist Trump Supporters LOL.
    Trump may be a populist, but at least he knows a thing or two about the real world and he's willing to cut through all the BS that makes most other politicians look like bumbling idiots. Gotta give the man credit for that. I blame the failures of the PC crowd / regressives for Trump's success, but yet he remains correct on a lot of things he says, like it or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    I'm still with bernie, he has his head screwed on straight...
    So you're against populism, but you're a Bernie supporter? lol, look at how he's caving into BLM and feminists and being controlled by them like a puppet. He's quite the populist himself. And don't even get me started on Shillary; she's the biggest populist of them all. Bernie was right about a lot of things like Iraq and money in politics, and kudos on that, but ultimately he's weak and won't win.

    In my not so humble opinion

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    With some of the threads around here lately going off topic and with tempers flaring in others, I thought it might be a nice idea to have a dedicated off topic thread where we can all shoot the breeze, talk about something else besides Hitman, get to know each other a little bit better, and hopefully calm down and come together as fellow Hitman fans!
    I think this is a good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    What's everyone's favorite food?
    I'm a picky eater, but what kind of food are we talking about?
    Because If you mean just in general, then I think (milk) chocolate wins for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    What TV show are you currently into?
    My lady and I are watching The Blacklist right now, trying to get her to watch the second season of Daredevil with me.
    I just finished my third or fourth watching of Sense8 on Netflix and started re-watching The Seven Deadly Sins.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    244
    Trump failed Epicly on at least 3 MAJOR projects, including Trump University, acts like a lunatic, and maybe i'm brainwashed by Comedy Central but comes off as somemone who will create more terrorists than hes trying to catch, and turn America into an eye-sore of Racist-Patriotism so that nobody new is welcome, Muslims get deported, etc.

    Bernie may be following a trend, but being popular for your beliefs and being a populist are hardly the same thing... Bernie didn't get good press, yet social media kept him going in group circles because he's the one talking sense without a sick grin n the side of her face (Hillghazi).

    [edit] Driber please stop assuming my minor pet-peeves like a snarky comment mean i'm against/for things.

    If i HAVE TO PICK a candidate for Prez, it would be bernie, it's more the type of people who would vote for Trump, given Trump loses, not just Trump himself.

    I'm old, and i get grumpy at times, but it doesn't mean i don't have good intentions. It so amuses me, at least, that anything popular aroundhere gets attention while the unrocognized greatness of some Entertainment are completely igonored, as per a 5+ post discussion on Bond, yet i write an off-topic introduction of myself letter, and nobody cares. Either it's me, that i've burnt my bridges by trolling and having strong opinions even when i'm not trolling (which won't happen again, the trolling that is)... or the experiences i've been through just aren't cared about or even acknowledged.

    I'm starting to feel unloved, but what to expect form a bunch of yougin's on a forum dedicated to a game of wanna-be hitmen?
    Last edited by Hitman_Limerick; 21st Apr 2016 at 18:43.

  17. #17
    Doom, I totally know where you're coming from about directors. They can be a freaking nightmare. A lot of times they're all ego and don't realize they're no more important than anyone else on set. I'm almost regretting not having been more patient and having signed away my first script, since the director's been pissing me off. I wish you luck with your current project!

    And man, I feel like we should start a thread on here where we all collaborate on a Hitman film. Get the story together with plot points, act structure, characters, locations etc. Could be cool.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Mater Urbium
    Posts
    27,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Tobias_Rieper View Post
    I'm a picky eater, but what kind of food are we talking about?
    Because If you mean just in general, then I think (milk) chocolate wins for me.
    I meant in general, yeah. But it indeed might be fun to get more specific and get to know each other's favorite foods in certain categories. For example, what is everyone favorite piece of fried food? Or your fav pasta? Feel free to suggest any other categories

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    Trump failed Epicly on at least 3 MAJOR projects, including Trump University
    I read up on TU and it sounds like a disaster. However, Trump always has a million projects going on, so if some of them fail then that is almost to be expected. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Trump fan, but I think we have to say that overall he is a successful business man.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    acts like a lunatic
    Howso?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    and maybe i'm brainwashed by Comedy Central but comes off as somemone who will create more terrorists than hes trying to catch, and turn America into an eye-sore of Racist-Patriotism so that nobody new is welcome, Muslims get deported, etc.
    Trump is neither a racist nor does he want to deport Muslims from America, so if that is the kind of nonsense fear mongering coming out of CC, then I suppose "brainwashing" might indeed be an apt term.

    As for terrorists, they create themselves.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    Bernie may be following a trend, but being popular for your beliefs and being a populist are hardly the same thing... Bernie didn't get good press, yet social media kept him going in group circles because he's the one talking sense without a sick grin n the side of her face (Hillghazi).
    I'm not going give cookies to Bernie just because Shillary is worse than him. They are both bad and I would like to see neither of them being the next president. "Following a trend" is putting it mildly. He's a tool. For Pete's sake, he even said in a recent interview that he doesn't see himself as a leader type. I was like, holy poop on a stick, how on earth are you going to run the mightiest country in the world with that weaksauce attitude!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    [edit] Driber please stop assuming my minor pet-peeves like a snarky comment mean i'm against/for things.
    Huh? What snark?

    And assuming? You literally said that you're with Bernie. How does that not mean you're supporting him?

    I don't care if you are or not, BTW. Just making conversation. Please don't take my views on politics as a personal attack

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    If i HAVE TO PICK a candidate for Prez, it would be bernie, it's more the type of people who would vote for Trump, given Trump loses, not just Trump himself.
    And what is that "type", exactly? Uninformed, low IQ rednecks? Or would also intelligent, politically savvy people vote for Trump?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    I'm old, and i get grumpy at times, but it doesn't mean i don't have good intentions. It so amuses me, at least, that anything popular aroundhere gets attention while the unrocognized greatness of some Entertainment are completely igonored, as per a 5+ post discussion on Bond, yet i write an off-topic introduction of myself letter, and nobody cares. Either it's me, that i've burnt my bridges by trolling and having strong opinions even when i'm not trolling (which won't happen again, the trolling that is)... or the experiences i've been through just aren't cared about or even acknowledged.

    I'm starting to feel unloved, but what to expect form a bunch of yougin's on a forum dedicated to a game of wanna-be hitmen?
    I haven't seen that post you're referring to, but you may be onto something with that burning bridges thing. You're even doing it right now with that last line there. You want people to like you, but then insult them by calling them "young wanna-be hitmen". Not the best possible way to make friends, methinks.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedChrome View Post
    And man, I feel like we should start a thread on here where we all collaborate on a Hitman film. Get the story together with plot points, act structure, characters, locations etc. Could be cool.
    That sounds like an interesting idea, TwistedChrome

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Never heard of Boards of Canada. What is that, radioteque?
    Basically two dudes from Scotland who make some really mellow electronic sounds - the name comes from their love of watching stuff produced by the National Film Board of Canada.

    Check out one of their early albums:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5gWTh1F95c

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    244
    No you don't get it, i have people IRL who like me, if i'm ignored on a public forum it's just irritating, as the HITMAN or CODMAN thread indicates, my history is ignored while you take personally the fact that this IS a forum dedicated to wanna-be hitmen... i don't mean real life, but it's a violent game based on assassination, why would i expect people to be 'nice'?

    Also, 'Boreds' of Canada, good noise music to put a toddler to sleep tho .

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    214
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman_Limerick View Post
    No you don't get it, i have people IRL who like me, if i'm ignored on a public forum it's just irritating, as the HITMAN or CODMAN thread indicates, my history is ignored while you take personally the fact that this IS a forum dedicated to wanna-be hitmen... i don't mean real life, but it's a violent game based on assassination, why would i expect people to be 'nice'?

    Also, 'Boreds' of Canada, good noise music to put a toddler to sleep tho .
    Definitely not music for everybody. The repetition critique is certainly valid.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Driber View Post
    Trump is neither a racist nor does he want to deport Muslims from America, so if that is the kind of nonsense fear mongering coming out of CC, then I suppose "brainwashing" might indeed be an apt term.
    While I really don't want to wade into a political debate, I would say that while Trump may not actually be a racist who wants to deport Muslims from America, he has allowed that belief to spread in order to, I think, pick up votes from those who would like to see such a policy enacted. Allowing such a belief to spread is, IMO, potentially just as damaging to America's relationship with the Muslim community, at home and abroad, as it would be if those things came true. So he really does himself no favours there.

    I'm British, so I can only view US politics from the outside looking in, but I'll say that I hope Trump doesn't become president for your own sake. I believe he would damage America's relationship with the rest of the world in ways I don't even want to think about.

    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedChrome View Post
    Doom, I totally know where you're coming from about directors. They can be a freaking nightmare. A lot of times they're all ego and don't realize they're no more important than anyone else on set. I'm almost regretting not having been more patient and having signed away my first script, since the director's been pissing me off. I wish you luck with your current project!

    And man, I feel like we should start a thread on here where we all collaborate on a Hitman film. Get the story together with plot points, act structure, characters, locations etc. Could be cool.
    Haha, thanks man. The guy is just a bit socially inept, and it's harmed his relationship with the rest of the crew somewhat. He's also holding the purse-strings, and right now the production is out of money with only 1/3 of the film in the can, and several members of the crew, myself included, owed not-insubstantial amounts of money.

    So yeah, you could say it's not looking good

    Ah man, I'd be all over that thread, we could definitely get some cool ideas flowing

  23. #23
    Hahaha, so this thread was created so that people could 'come together', and now they're arguing about politics.
    I think everyone will agree with me that the best way to bring everyone together on this forum is that Square and IO do a better job of acknowledging the fans' complaints and craft a better game in the progress. We can all come together over that.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeSlade View Post
    Hahaha, so this thread was created so that people could 'come together', and now they're arguing about politics.
    I think everyone will agree with me that the best way to bring everyone together on this forum is that Square and IO do a better job of acknowledging the fans' complaints and craft a better game in the progress. We can all come together over that.
    I feel like they are starting to listen to the fans and make improvements.
    Do I think they should've been done from the get-go, oh yeah, but it does look like they are starting to listen.

    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=188782

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    244
    Didn't mean to argue over politics, to be fair to truth politics was just an example of people's personas...[edit] more of a discussion about why we would choose a candidate, and yes my "Populist" comment was spot on because 1: he does cater to the racist, the greedy, the needy; offering slander, promise of wealth and crazy acts of looney-tunes dance moves with wild-sweeping insults that are meant to 'shock people'... so he does do that, it's a fact, part of the discussion.

    Bernie is an un-sung hero, he 'Believes' in more than himself, so if he ever said he didn't consider himself a leader, genius has been known to not be perfect .

    Quote Originally Posted by radioteque View Post
    Definitely not music for everybody. The repetition critique is certainly valid.
    I am in a 'Garage Band' and do some time in the studio recording tracks, but we have no vocalist (i'm pretty good, but i've smoked cigarettes since i was 16, so i'm too inconsistent to be a pro, so i shred on the guitar)...

    Got a playlist of some of my band's music, called "Reasons"... All Korn, Audioslave, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, etc. inspired tracks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfo6...18FFK4QmSVvHhr
    Last edited by Hitman_Limerick; 21st Apr 2016 at 21:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •