Thread: Finally playing Defiance

Finally playing Defiance

Hello, the forums!

Some of you might remember me, I used to be on the old Eidos forums under the name 'Dumah's Wraith' I lost those account details with the change of venue, hence the new name. But anyway, I have a confession to make. Despite being a huge fan of this series for over ten years now, I have yet to personally play Defiance (although I of course know the story etc very well). But I stumbled across a physical copy today, so for the first time ever, I will now be playing Legacy of Kain: Defiance. I felt I had to mark this occasion, hence this thread. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey. You chose a good year to try Defiance.
    Don't worry about getting lost in the ancient temples during the "replace an orb" mission. It happens.

The middle levels are repetitive, as are the fights, but it really comes together great at the end and is a joy.

This reminds me to finish Marvel's Ultimate Alliance.

Hi TheSquid. Been a while. Meant to report back after every chapter, but was too busy playing. I know the script and story really well, but there are some things you only learn by playing the game. Why, what happened this year?

I really like the combat, I wasn't expecting to, I'd heard there were loads of repetitive encounters, and there are, but they aren't as overused (and surprisingly often aren't compulsory) as I thought. Like how integrated TK is as well, you feel powerful without being too overpowered. Kain seems to be a better fighter overall, he's far better with TK and makes more distance with Mist Dodge.

They do a great job of in character irritation with gameplay mechanics as Kain, this guy has been dungeon crawling for centuries, he knows exactly how it works. "Locked. What a love of doors these pathetic humans have." "These statues seemed singularly inanimate. I knew better than to assume they would remain so." Topped a little by how impatient he got during the tutorial in BO2, but still nice.

Kain's Pillars level is very short if you know what you're doing. I didn't, and thus took quite a while.

The Forge puzzles so far (up to Water Forge) are nice and short for the most part, I remember being frustrated by the Air Forge in SR2 because it was so elaborate.

I'm having a surprising amount of trouble with the platforming, must be out of practice. A little disappointed you can wall climb in spectral now.

Level design is mixed. Liked the Sarafan Stronghold (the little arrow slits in the hallways are great, the Sarafan don't want to fight vampires fairly if they can.

Vampire Citadel got a bit heavy on compulsory encounters, I felt kind of bad about being locked in with all these people that were no real threat to me. And I duly got lost.

Vorador's Mansion is weird, half of it is very secure against everyone that doesn't have the reaver and specific enhancements, but the actual inner sanctum is defended by lighting braziers? Come on, any self respecting lynchmob will have torches. I know he can teleport, but didn't he have subordinates in BO1? How did they get around? I'm curious, if I lit them one by one, could I have skipped the Water Forge for the moment?

Just starting into Kain's second Vampire Citadel, considering that I got lost with the portal hopping the first time, this may take a while. Looking forward to Avernus, though.

You can only get into Vorador's room by using the powered up Fire Reaver thing, then putting out the braziers with the blue marks. If you try to just light the ones with the red marks, they go out instantly.

Which version did you get? PS2? Computer?

And try seeing if you can get an account merge with your old one. The Hylden was very helpful for me when I did mine, since I got confused about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by UnkindAbyss View Post
    I'm having a surprising amount of trouble with the platforming, must be out of practice.
    I always thought that was because of the fixed camera.

Aaand done. Did indeed have trouble finding the replacement orb.

I feel like Avernus as a level is shorter than it should be, there's a lot of plot but once you get through the Earth Forge, it's pretty easy and uncomplicated.

Moebius is well voice acted in Vorador's mansion, you can feel his joy, he almost seems a little drunk. You can avoid fighting all his troops if you want.

Janos was the first difficult bossfight in the game, the battles in the forges were a little too similar. And back to Kain in Avernus, with only a couple of encounters he's up and gone for the final bossfight.

I think this game could benefit from more compulsory encounters in the endgame, build some urgency. Also, some extra work in the forge bossfights, most of the ghosts had basically the same powers.

I'm a little sad there are no outtakes in the extras, SR2 was pretty ahead of its time with extras. And since this was before they were commonplace, the ones we got were pretty organic and funny.

Quote Originally Posted by FearGhoul View Post
    You can only get into Vorador's room by using the powered up Fire Reaver thing, then putting out the braziers with the blue marks. If you try to just light the ones with the red marks, they go out instantly.

Which version did you get? PS2? Computer?

And try seeing if you can get an account merge with your old one. The Hylden was very helpful for me when I did mine, since I got confused about it all.
    I'm using PS2. I already made a new Dumah's Wraith account here, then lost the details of it.