Thread: A Farewell To Arms - Nosgoth’s Final Days Are Upon Us

A Farewell To Arms - Nosgoth’s Final Days Are Upon Us

Woah amateur developers blame player base for their broken game? Quelle surprise. Maybe you should update your original post to reflect the fact that you incapable of providing a service competently and reliably as the reason for your "lack of players".

An absolute disgrace to the industry, everyone involved in this 'decision' and moreover the game itself should be ashamed.

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    Will you release concept art for the Rahabim class?
    This is unlikely as the visuals for the class are unfinished.
    What difference does it make whether they're finished at this point? If SE aren't going to to be using them for anything and fan art won't cost them any expense, then there's no real harm in letting us have a look.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

What will happen to Nosgoth Steam achievements? Will we make them easier to get?
    We’re currently seeking further clarification on precisely how this will work. Your Nosgoth Steam achievements will most likely remain on your profile. We don't intend to make any changes to how they are earned.
    Seriosly? Do you even know how hard are some of Nosgoth Achievements to do while playing against random enemies?
    Atleast make it possible to do achievements on PRivate Matches, Since you shutting down game it will be impossible to finish them in future, so:
    1. delete all Achievements
    Or
    2. Make it easier to get (Private matches, lowering requirements).

How disappointing. I bought all my skins back in the day and I'm not eligible for a refund.

I picked up a veteran and warlord pack early on, because I thought I'd support a game I liked. I'm glad I did, if it helped the devs keep working.

Unfortunately the constant bugs kept purging the player base, and the crap chest lottery stopped me buying chests. ($5 for an arcane? Who are you kidding?)

I'll miss it; I liked killing vampires with science, I liked the diversity of skin tones, I liked the touches on the map, and in general I thought was a lot of fun.

This feel's rather unacceptable, Especially after wasting all my time expressing idea's, To Noted & Implemented Suggestion's, Posted on version two, Of the forum. Post #112. For the last two week's. And then on top of that sorting all the rough draft's of my text for free. Those suggestion's are gold. I tell you, If not platinum!
    Just being humbly hilarious about the pay factor, I don't want money for my ideal's. I do how ever want them to be acknowledged It would only add insult to injury. To put the game on the shelf to never be played. Sure in the future you could pick it up. But not as the game it is now it would have to be recreated. Although we know that's not going to happen either, The way society works with business patent's, Ideals go obsolete because of patent's. Before the idea can be updated, Or improved in a relevant time.
    Of course people should still get credit for there idea's! I'm Not voting for a system of chaos here!
    Just trying to appeal to the Communion Aspect of society. But I know better then to hope, As money is the drive of society right now rather then Art, Intellect, And prosperity. You know the thing's belief usually preaches about, That also try's to get every one else to preach, An at the same time trying to make people realize sin is a nature we are suppose to overcome, Rather then be enveloped by. In other word's, As a serious joke. I say shove the sloth, You darn sinner's!

This game's potential is far greater then what the player base has expressed so far.
    Most of the people I've seen complain, are ranting about players like my self being to good, Also making the mistake of thinking I'm a cheater using Aim Bot or what ever hack i can buy, With the money I don't have. Then they of course quit before giving the game a full chance.
    And then there the opposite of that, Which i take part in a bit of, Not proudly. But every now and then. Although I don't feel good about it, I often find my self. Ranting at newbie's, Basically telling them. Get better faster, In more Colorful word's though. Which of course... End's badly. But you know how anger goes. So in this case people leave, Due to the toxic environment produced by trolling, and thing's of the alike.
    So... I ask you, Was it really the best decision, To hand out only a limited number of beta ticket's at a time. In a world where the community is still socially developing. Short answer. I think not! Mainly because you need a constant stream of player's. To be coming in, So you're community may actually grow, Or stabilize. Since there are obviously going to be many that leave the community for what ever reason.
    So instead of just opening you're doors to the community, When you feel it's necessary. Perhaps you could give Nosgoths community one last chance. By reopening your door's, And leaving them open, An actually making a proper cancellation date for the game, In the mean time. Continuing to cancel it, If you still think it's going to fail the expectation of your demand.
    But cancel it while keeping the community up to date.
    This community deserves one last chance, To jump back.
    Rather then continuing about it in the current manner that your pocket's find more convenient. The reason I say this is because I feel disrespected. And although your time is money. Mine is not. For my time, Is my value. In simpler words, You've wasted much of my time. There for, You have no respect for me, As a player of this game. Or any game of Square Enix, or psyonixs making, That I may chose to play.
    Because you lack the recognition. Of the time I put into this game, By suddenly announcing shutdown of all Nosgoth development, With out filling in the community before hand. like I feel rather disposable after that. And let's just say I'll not be touching a multiplayer for a few decades, At this point.

What i mean to make most apparent though. Is the fact that Nosgoth had very little advertisement going out. In my opinion.
    So in the end when your player base, Is about player's that can't adapt fast enough. To the current community, That's already been playing the game for a significant time more. Then the game becomes an unattractive failure. Due to the fact that you couldn't keep a constant stream of player's going, making this the inevitable outcome for Nosgoth. Since the newbie's of the community will likely be scared off by assumption, And more.
    Often pointing the finger, Saying these guy's are using aim bot, Or some cheat. Just for example... But that assumption, And other like it. Scare's away more then new recruit's. Leaving a hug gap in the community's skill. Now that many new recruit's are not staying, To get better. And others leaving because the community isn't developing fast enough, If at all.

What I would like to suggestion, I suggest remove class restriction's on what ever classes that require it. Since player's can only play, A single class at a time. Why should it matter what class they begin with? This should bring in more player's, The less restriction's, Game's have. The more intriguing they are.
    But the problem here is that failure happens within 2-5 years, For all multiplayer's, That become finished, Or begin to stagnate. And trust me. I've played games through the entirety of my life, I've also tested ample multiplayer style's, Many with the same concepts as Nosgoth. For near the same time, If not longer. I usually stick with a multiplayer. If I like it enough, Until the game goes dead, Or get's boring.
    So when said failure time for all multiplayer's is 2-5 year's, It doesn't matter if the game is in beta or not, While not attracting enough players, Even though Nosgoth had more then a sufficient player base, Until the recent news about shutdown. When you don't update the content enough to subside the current player's boredom. While not fixing bug's that are driving away new player's, And old player's alike. We who are playing, Tend to get bored fast. Without new competition/challenge's
    And for the noob's we cant learn fast enough when we join game's late after their release date, Due to the already large amount of active expert players smashing on the tiny community of newbies left, Or potentially new player's. But that's how it suppose to go.
    Their suppose to catch up to the experienced player's, Not the other way around. But i do admit, It's to much suffering. To join a game that already has a lot of active experts, And above skilled player's. In play, While at the same time. Not having enough of you're own player level base. To level with. So you can at least begin, Studying the game mechanics.

So the player base remain's stagnate, due to the unattractive amount of new player's. That the newbies desire, So they can learn without getting taken advantage of so often, By the expert an above player base. Leaving them to learn at there own pace. without getting aggravated into quitting as much, Or entirely all together.
    An it shouldn't matter if a few expert player's are in a lobby of new player's. Since it will only encourage them to get better. An it's especially unfair to separate player's by skill, For example. If I log on to play, I want to get the fastest match possible. So i can learn fast as possible. Also most experienced player's don't play as often as newbie's will. Since there just starting out. But that wont happen while there's this system judging me as to good to play with this group of newbies.
    Another example would be, When the community become's stagnate. While there is a judging system being implemented.
    It can suddenly become's unfair, Or hindering. To the newbie's, If not the whole community. Since they now take the fall. Because of the fact, That they will have to wait longer. To be placed in their bracket.

Also Instead of getting handicapped along.
    I mean who's idea was it to bring handicap's to a competition, It's called a challenge for a reason. The reason being, Each side is equally matched. Which is what should happen when there's a large enough community.
    What I'm saying now. Is if there's going to be a judgment system. Then by all mean don't make it the primary function of the match making Qeeue system. Make it a secondary function, For example. Make its function dependent on the game's populous.
    Say if you're searching for a game. Then the queeue should instantly be looking for the fastest match possible, If there isn't a large populous of there level or experience at the time. And if there is a sufficient player base of there experience, all queeuing at the same time. Then the secondary function of the match making queeue system should activate. Becoming the primary function, Which would instead be searching for quality player's. Rather then quick match qeeue's.

As a side note, Every one move's on, And goes with the flow in gaming. The flow of life that is. Which is all way's fleeting. Like time, It self.
    So the moment a game begins to decay, Or become's more stress then fun. We usually move on bringing are friend's with us.
    In my opinion, The game didn't need a balancing system. Many game's have tried implementing the same formula, An none have succeeded, With it. Along side the fact that much time was wasted In implementing this balancing system for match making. I waited for 4-5 months before seeing new ability's for the most incomplete classes, The vanguard and summoner. Although I admit I too wanted a balancing system at one point. But now i feel it's more work then not. Don't get me wrong I still want one. But perhaps it should have been one of the last priority's. To receive attention from the development team.

Here are my thought's as to why balancing systems, Using number's to regulate player skills. May never succeed.
    Reason one, A player's skill can't be determined for a set time. Numbers will never truly show the player's value. Because we are constantly learning. The numbers we grade by will simply never catch up. There fore, We cannot label are skills in the manner of digit's. You see it will never serve as a proper balancing system for match making qeeue's. Especially when you're numbers can go down. That is most illogical, Are skills do not degrade, While we keep in practice. And continue learning. Sure we may get rusty and need a few practice round's after a long break from a game. But we still retain the skill we had before.

Reason two, If players are never challenged to get better how will the game ever be fully played/exploited, By the players intellect and skill, Which is the purpose of all game's, Alongside the purpose of fun.
    But when you ignore major bug fixes, That needed to be attended to. The game tends to loss it's aspect of fun. There's nothing more crippling to a game then Glitches, And bugs. As these destroy competitive play. Just as much as cheater's abusing overpowered content, And childish hacker's that abuse there ability's to physically troll, An expose the negative aspect's of games.

Any way's I forgot to explain the point of bringing up every video games multiplayer death date.
    Right now nosgoth is dead, It's simply true. Especially after posting the recent new's on the game page in bold red. So early with out even keeping the community updated in advance, Like this is the biggest surprise I've ever had playing a game, And boy does it take the cake. Of all other surprises I will ever have in my future gaming history. I doubt I'll ever pick up another beta, Due to this new fact I've learned about them. Why not keep the community updated before hand. Rather then leaving them in the dust. About the decision to do a 180 degree turn in the opposite direction.
    This is great significance to the community, That put their soul into this game. Even though we're still told nothing in advance about major decision like that.
    In other word's you kind of owe it to your community. To keep this game going. Until you can set up a proper cancellation, By keeping the community updated with these possible decision, At a more reasonable notice date, Say 5 month's notice before hand. Instead of proceeding with this rather sudden and crud, One month notice surprise you decided to cripple the community with.
    Which in my part. I feel was done to diverge this community toward other game's. But that last sentence about diverging the community is just conjecture. How ever it feel's like such a shady action that i can't help but to speculate the conspiracy as truer then not!

Now it's time to establish why you should continue this game.
    One the community feedback is great. In expressing the need for bug fixes, Ideas for balancing the game, And general suggestions, ext. I recently started making suggestion's myself, That I put much time into, And plan on putting more time into.
    Two, The game might seem to be at an end right now. But it has just barley begun. it's been about 1-2 year's since the content has really changed. In bug fixes, And new content. Making the progress look very slow. This is probably why many where detoured from Nosgoth, Especially due to the lack of bug fixes,
    An also the greatest failure of Nosgoth. In my opinion. Was making it necessary for people to acquire a key code to play a free beta. Again it's not the key code, Thats the problem. All games require it, But... The fact that you only handed out key codes. During Nosgoths advertisement announcement's. Which where trying to advertise the need for more player's. Was awkward, Why only hand out a limited number?
    There is no good answer for that question. No legitimate one's, That I can think of anyways. Like this is the worst form of advertisement I have ever seen for a beta, That need's a larger community.
    An on top of that, The best that was done after the first three advertisement's, Yes there where only 3 total steam advertisement's. That I saw. For how long this beta has been going on. That is a sad attempt of trying to get noticed. It's as if you expected people to just roll in. Because they see there are only 10000 beta keys being given away. But really that's just intimidating. The reason it can be intimidating. Is because, From my memory. Although I never paid attention to every detail of it. I never once saw that you could recruit friend's in the Steam advertisements, So i was kinda sketchy about whether or no I wanted to play a game that my friend's couldn't join, Unless they had gotten one of the beta passes. Even though I learned later you could recruit a friend, None of my friend's wanted to join.

But despite that, This alone should show you, How long content lasts. That's around 1-2 year of fun, Off of unfinished beta content alone. It could be 2-3 years if the game is ever given a real chance to become popular. And of course that's just speculation, About when the popularity begin's to die. As in, Usually. A popular game lasts 2-3 year's till that game's community start's to die. But the game will obviously last longer, say 4-5 before it starts getting to old. To play. Then the rest of the community fall's, Like most game's do.
    Three i have just finished the Beastmaster class. Fully leveling it, And gaining all the achievements. An I do have to say its a perfect class. In every way this class belongs in the game, But of course there are still a few suggestion's for it, that i would like to be acknowledged. And other's, That I hope don't go to waste, Or that i would like to add my idea's to. But this final decision to end Nosgoth seem's benign. Without concern for the player's interest, Or hard work contributed into this game, A thank's is hardly sufficient. With a sudden notice to just quit every thing, This is not what the human society stand's for, Despair, anguish, And futility. Or at least i hope its not. Also the lack of acknowledgment, Of the fact that bug reports where needed for the game. That many player's where kind enough to put there time into, Just to make this game successful. This is something the development team should have a team put together to do.

Also for your own sake, You should as of immediately stop shoveling out money to people playing a beta for competitive money. To do this I suggest you change the money earned to rune stones, Like many others have already suggested. (Only if you're going to proceed with Nosgoth's creation). Money doesn't make competition or a challenge, the interest of expressing experience does. And the interest to learning more, While getting even better in the experience's already attained, And not your sinful nature to attain greed. There is a time to gamble, And a time to observe.
    I feel the whole Nosgoths team took one to many gambles working on irrelevant content, such as boasting, working on one to many skin selection's at a time, Along with prize reward/reward systems, Receiving more attention. Then the need for bug fixes. And other thing's, Like patching disasters that brought many more unresolved, And staking bug issues. Isn't there a better way to apply a system patch, Rather then by forcing the community to deal with all the unforeseen kink's, And wait for their report's. That are obviously going send lots of hate mail, Pointing each problem out.

Here's my suggestion to make it fair for all player's, There should be a rating system. But it should be a rating system of title's not numbers. Titles ranging your experience, Example ranging from beginner to expert and above. Noob, Novice, Apprentice, Acolyte, Expert, Master, Legend. Seven should be more then plenty, And this is not to separate any one.
    This is to build a base line of fair, My concept is to basically not let the title's label people, Instead it's just to define their skill.
    What this title's should do, Anytime. Two players get together with the same title, Their placed on opposing team's to balance the match/lobby. Unless On a team. An of course if there is an opposing team with the same or near the same rating. They will be placed on the other team. To balanced out the situation. Obviously there is much more it should do. That I hope you can assume with the already given suggestive info. Although i have no problem explaining! If I need to.

It's beyond sad that art stops with the flow of money, Weather the money be flowing not enough, Or too much. Its no wonder we're all trying to build, Or submerge are self's in an illusion that society doesn't suck the way it works now. Since none of use can express the very art, Are soul desires to, In these current life style's/time's. And even if we did we would probably only live a sin full life style. With that kind of money. As to why art also stop's with to much money.
    So i ask you Psyonix, Square Enix beat the tyranny of sin!
    And don't let the game end. Just because it may not make you enough money at the time. If it's not forcing you to loss money then proceed with this grand multiplayer. Please!
    I know these are just the word's of a fan. But i believe the game can be made stable, To bring back it's community. And many more.
    I beg you, Please continue your work.
    I have many more idea's to express, An improve. For Nosgoth.
    Last edited by GamerMuffins; 21st Apr 2016 at 12:51. Reason: 110% More effort applied to this edit.

Put nosgoth on steam as early access/preorder. Convert the game to be playable with privately hosted servers. Let us buy the game so it doesn't disappear. Square Enix I will give you money for a product that is mostly complete, just make it playable with privately hosted servers. THE PLAYERS OF NOSGOTH WILL GIVE YOU MORE MONEY TO KEEP THEIR GAME PLAYABLE.

Nosgoth was designed and built to run with a live operations team present to support the game. The live service is intertwined fairly heavily throughout. The act of bringing a server online, allowing a player to login and connect, and ensuring that their profile and unlocks can be pulled in order to give them their items is at the core of Nosgoth, and requires the online service to run.
    This right here tells me about the intentions while coding the game; reach LoK fan's wallets as they haven't been milked in a while. Corporate Commander strikes again. The only reason i was ever interested in this game is LoK. So glad i didn't put any money in it and so sorry for those who did...

On their defense, they are not alone to do this and we, players, users and gamers, are again penalized... How saddening the game industry is becoming

Ok, i might not be an active forum user but definitively i am an active nosgoth player, i have been playing it every single day for months now, and i'm sad to see it dying. I agree with many of the things that have been posted on this thread. There are many ways to make it playable for all of us who want to support and keep playing this amazing game. There are other options rather than to just stop and close everything. Private servers, becoming pay to play, ultimately selling the franchise to anyone that is willing to continue the development. i would buy this game because i like it so much and it has given me tons of fun. i don't mind if there are no more updates in the future, just let us play it please. I will support the game in anyway i can. This is the only "multiplayer free to play" game that has captured my attention so far, it's very unique! please do something!... anything... please...

I bet Square got impatient and told them to dump it.

Don't tell me you can't sustain yourself, All Points Bulletin: Reloaded has lasted twice your guys span, and it got dropped by Realtime worlds, then picked up by some bo-dunk developer and publisher Reloaded Productions and Gamer'sFirst

They're arguably the greediest s on the net and their game has lasted almost 6 years... It's still in an old unreal engine from forever ago

Nosgoth is in GREAT condition. Sure there are bugs and balance issues, but the art, the sound design, animations, voice work, it's all great and working just fine.

It'd be a SHAME to dumo this game, especially with its asymmetrical challenging gameplay, which is rare and much needed these days.

Psyonix, or even Square Enix, I implore you, this game is in fantastic condition, please consider selling the liscense to another developer who is willing to take on the development challenge that is NOSGOTH!

Thank you...

Well after all this Years with the Game, i also think its sad i will return to Unreal tounament wich is also new and a free Game nowadays

Its sad that you dont give us at least anything like Dedicated servers or stuff to mod, its the unreal engine after all.
    That we the Core Players of this Game can at least play it.

Check out unreal on their website.

I wont buy Any square enix Game in the Future, have a good Day.

We built all our Tomorrows !

I don't think I can even describe how disgusted and disappointed I feel right now.

I've been a huge Legacy of Kain fan for the majority of my life. I remember playing the original Blood Omen and Soul Reaver when I was a kid, and then later SR2,BO2, and Defiance.

You know what's funny? I had no idea this game even existed until four months ago. One day I was looking up Soul Reaver music on YouTube and one of the recommended videos was of some Nosgoth gameplay. I was blown away. The game looked awesome and I was astounded by the fact that I'd never even heard of it.

You guys are cancelling development and citing the small playerbase as the reason? You never did anything to grow the playerbase! Of course it was small! You didn't promote or advertise the game! People had to just randomly stumble across it one day like I did. There's probably a ridiculous amount of people out there that would fall in love with this game, but they have no idea it even exists.

And then people can't even play the game because it won't even successfully launch half the time. When it does launch you can't get into games because of the party server error (which is what I've been getting all night . . . hence why I'm not playing it right now.)

That's why Nosgoth died. Saying the playerbase was too small oversimplifies things. The playerbase was small due to lack of advertising and promotion and players straight up not being able to even play the game.

This game is excellent. I freaking love it. It looks great. It sounds great. The voices are great. The gameplay is unique and endlessly engrossing. I will play the bejeezus out of it for the next two months (assuming I can get past the launcher and party server errors anyway). After that I will steer clear of any games with Psyonix's or Square-Enix's names on them. Here's hoping SE sells the LoK IP to a publisher/developer that actually wants to do something with it.

I am so, so so so furious about this right now. I'm going to try and be as polite as I can right now, but...I just...am absolutely livid beyond words. At least beyond congenial words.

Thanks, Square, for refusing to put the funding and assistance into advertising and developing this game and for refusing to listen to your playerbase. I don't fault Psyonix. Their hands were tied in things, they were at Square's command on how to run things, and the fact that the reason for cancelling the game is the game not spreading enough just...

I'm sorry. I just...

I CANNOT...

I am so FURIOUS! Square put ABSOLUTELY NO MONEY into advertising this game! NONE. The only time I ever saw it advertised was when they did the Closed>Open Beta transition, and then after that there was ABSOLUTELY NADA put in the way of advertisement! OF COURSE THE GAME WASN'T GOING TO SPREAD IF YOU DIDN'T ADVERTISE IT. I'M NOT EVEN IN BUSINESS AND I KNOW THIS

I put thousands of hours into this game. It's currently one of only three games that I play on a regular basis: Skyrim, Undertale, and Nosgoth. I came for the Legacy of Kain and stayed because this was a phenomenal game! I was proud of how good I was at this game, too! I'm not the greatest, no, but I was able to play it well, and I loved playing it! Almost all of my classes were the max level!

And honestly? I kind of knew this was going to happen someday, and it was one of the things I absolutely hated about the way the game was set up. Because once you take the servers down, then we're just SOL. I'm just hoping someone makes mods some day that allows this game to be played on "illegal" private servers so that I don't have to never play it again.

Right now, I just want to scream and cry and rant and rave and throw things against the wall and I DON'T GET THIS FURIOUS VERY OFTEN, OK.

This is why I was worried when I heard Square had purchased Eidos and CD and had the rights to Legacy of Kain. I honestly don't know why I expected any better. I'd at least hoped that this game would help show that we wanted a new single-player game in the franchise, but I'm sure most LoK fans didn't even know this was a thing because IT WAS NEVER ADVERTISED. Yeah, some fans didn't want to play it because it strayed from the old formula, but I'm sure a great many were completely unaware, as well, and just...

AUUUGH, I JUST CANNOT RIGHT NOW!

Now I just want to go lay down and cry for a day or so. I'm...just...I'm so done right now...

Good morning.
    I am not trying to throw anger at you Oghamsmith, I think you did pretty well.
    I also am not trying to throw anger at ppl that are friends with one of the few ppl I really liked in this game.

It´s just the first time I really got salty about this game... and I am sorry, I just want to be mad then.
    A game like this should not die after 2 years... I don´t care who´s fault it is, I will never see these ppl.
    And I honestly think that this game could have grown more, if more would have been done to do so.
    It´s just a waste of a really good game and I cannot believe that.

I am fine with appreciating a good time aswell, maybe just not in the first moment, but it´s a free land.

And when I just hear the word friends, it takes me to a point where I saw an issue all the time, but there is no sence in thinking about it anyways.

I will open this stupid forum every weekend, at least.
    You better have some good news for me here soon, otherwise I dunno what will happen after the end of may.
    I would consider just deleting my square enix account with the moment this game goes down.

Edit: and I will miss this qt posting above me

Look at all the reactions of the fans guys. There's A LOT of people who care about the game. And as someone said in this thread, you NEVER tried to get a bigger playerbase. For us dedicated players, it feels like you give up at the first bump on the road. And actually, from our perspective, it's not even a bump! Sure playerbase was never huge, but before blaming this on the players themselves, try something! If you just take the time to address the bugs everyone was reporting lately, advertise your game properly, and change your monetization system to something more customer friendly, you'll see an improvement, no doubt about it !

There is no sensible reason to not try at all. If real lovers of video games where in this decision making process, the game would never have been canceled because a real video game lover would see more in such a great game than just MONEY... You have to reconsider this. You're killing the game before trying to keep it alive, that's stupid ...

Oh and I was dying to ask this : why the rushed decision ? Because yes, I doubt this was planned in the long term, otherwise, this would never have been said ... Less than 1 month earlier, you're talking about releasing it for real. And suddenly "we can't do this anymore, not enough players, bye bye!". Something is clearly really wrong with this decision. And moreover, in the mini state of play from the beginning of April, you clearly stated you'll talk in more details about what's to come during the month of April. This was some days ago...
    Last edited by Roy644; 9th Apr 2016 at 09:13.

PLEASE READ THIS:

I only have one big request:

- Make it possible that we can still play private matches via LAN/Hamachi !!!

That would keep Nosgoth alive for me.

I don't even know what to say.

As someone with pretty bad social anxiety I never expected to be able to play a multiplayer game, let alone a competitive one but Nosgoth changed all that. All I can say is, it was worth fighting to play it despite the constant panic attacks from playing it.

I hope another company picks up the game or they create one similar to this because it seemed truly unique.

Goodbye Nosgoth. One year and a half played, the 1900 hours were worth every second. I'll be here to turn the lights off in May. Thank you for everything.

After thinking it over night (still can´t believe their decision is final), I came to the following conclusion. Even as a moderator, my knowledge about this situation is limited, so this is just my personal and honest opinion on how to understand what was going on in the last few weeks.

I think, as many others, that the explanation for shutting down is highly unsatisfactory:

This was not an easy decision to come to. It has been a pleasure to build this game with your help, but ultimately its audience hasn’t grown enough to sustain ongoing operations.
    There were two recent (month old interviews) published regarding the beastmaster:
    http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/3...h+Beastmaster/
    http://www.gamewatcher.com/interview...nterview/12502

Now, from neither of them we get the vibe they game will be shutdown shortly. That was just a month ago. So what happened in that month which changed the outlook of Nosgoth so drastically? Was it the playerbase? According to steamcharts, it has been steadily at over 1000 players a day, so that could not have been the reason, otherwise the interviews would have at least hinted this or not promised further content in the future (if the devs expected such move).

It is quite clear that it was the last patch made a negative impact on many players by introducing issues with new launcher, friend lists, unable to group up, long queues to even play, etc. The devs/Square tried to remedy it by at least fixing the friend lists, but now it appears they hit a brick wall with the amount of work needed for the standalone launcher to work properly. Psyonix or SE or both got probably fed up with this mess instead of just reverting back to the version of the game which worked without the launcher (because they did not want to go back on their word or throw away the work done?). All I can think of now is that this standalone launcher which was supposed to bring players in, drove people away due to bugs and inability to play, exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to happen. SE probably thought the situation became unsalvagable and regretfully canned the promising game. I must say I was very discontent with the idea of moving away from Steam in the first place, but my and others´ warnings were not heard.

After all the hundreds/thousands of hours, blood, sweat and tears which got put into this game from both fans and devs, it seems unfair that all we get as an explanation is one sentence, which does not explain what happened at all. I think, we as the fans and supporters (most of us been here since alpha and bought lots of founder packs to support it) deserve to know the truth of what happened to y/our game. Please, it´s the least you can do.
    Last edited by RainaAudron; 9th Apr 2016 at 12:32.

Oh god, finally made it onto the forums. Process to log on sucks on mobile phones.

But as I've said on Steam, this is unfortunate news. Had a lot of fun with the game, and seen a few people start their livestreams with Nosgoth.
    It's been fun playing with a lot of you.

We need serverside to make our own server! With blackjack and female blood!

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    Now, from neither of them we get the vibe they game will be shutdown shortly. That was just a month ago. So what happened in that month which changed the outlook of Nosgoth so drastically? Was it the playerbase? According to steamcharts, it has been steadily at over 1000 players a day, so that could not have been the reason, otherwise the interviews would have at least hinted this or not promised further content in the future (if the devs expected such move).
    My guess is they were putting a lot of hope in the beastmaster update and the decision was dependent on the results. And to be honest, I think it could have worked and boosted the numbers a little, with the new class and daily challenges, if it weren't for the fact it destroyed basic functionality. As it was, the update basically shut the door to the game for many players.

This game is really awesome, I'm heartbroken it won't be seen by a broader audience. Is there really no way Psyonix could continue the development independently? Maybe without SE's supervision and with control over the financial decisions this game could thrive again, cause Elder God knows it wasn't lacking in other departments.

It is quite clear that it was the last patch made a negative impact on many players by introducing issues with new launcher, friend lists, unable to group up, long queues to even play, etc. The devs/Square tried to remedy it by at least fixing the friend lists, but now it appears they hit a brick wall with the amount of work needed for the standalone launcher to work properly. Psyonix or SE or both got probably fed up with this mess instead of just reverting back to the version of the game which worked without the launcher (because they did not want to go back on their word or throw away the work done?). All I can think of now is that this standalone launcher which was supposed to bring players in, drove people away due to bugs and inability to play, exactly the opposite of what it was supposed to happen. SE probably thought the situation became unsalvagable and regretfully canned the promising game. I must say I was very discontent with the idea of moving away from Steam in the first place, but my and others´ warnings were not heard.

After all the hundreds/thousands of hours, blood, sweat and tears which got put into this game from both fans and devs, it seems unfair that all we get as an explanation is one sentence, which does not explain what happened at all. I think, we as the fans and supporters (most of us been here since alpha and bought lots of founder packs to support it) deserve to know the truth of what happened to y/our game. Please, it´s the least you can do.

I think maybe Raina's explanation sounds like a good place to start. I am tempted to think this has something to do with the final patch (where developer replies were so few and far between, or some kind of SE decision around that time).

Originally Posted by Ysanoire

Maybe without SE's supervision and with control over the financial decisions this game could thrive again, cause Elder God knows it wasn't lacking in other departments.
    How much does it cost to buy the rights to a franchise, or even part of that part franchise - something like Nosgoth? Oh I am gonna insert another petition link: https://www.change.org/p/squareenix-...fb_ref=Default
    signature image

After thinking it over night (still can´t believe their decision is final), I came to the following conclusion. Even as a moderator, my knowledge about this situation is limited, so this is just my personal and honest opinion on how to understand what was going on in the last few weeks.

I think, as many others, that the explanation for shutting down is highly unsatisfactory:

There were two recent (month old interviews) published regarding the beastmaster:
    http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/3...h+Beastmaster/
    http://www.gamewatcher.com/interview...nterview/12502

Your explanation could be close to the truth. But that's not what professionals would do. "Well, it, the launcher is , we can't fix it, let's dump the game". This is childish and a bit lunatic... Anyone in their right mind would see the game isn't dead and still has a lot of potential. And why giving us the "not enough players" bull while the game is in beta ?

I mean, we don't even expect a company to promote the game a lot in this phase, and they indeed did not advertise it ! So what are they crying about ? It will be so simple to get rid of the stupid launcher (like 99% of the community was asking), change the monetization (i.e get rid of stupid chests or change the price point/rewards), stop the money waste on leagues, concentrate on bug fixing and real content and finally, get the game out of beta with the advertising it deserves. Why does that seems so hard ?

The more I think about it, the more I think a lot of things feel off about this sudden announcement... Just look at this, barely a month old interview.

PS : a comment on this article : "Well this is the first time I've heard about the game so... That might be the reason you didn't have an audience right there." Do you see the problem Square Enix ? If it wasn't for a friend of mine that stumble onto Nosgoth with luck on Steam, I would never have heard of the game. And all the friends that we manage to recruit never heard of it either. SEE THE PROBLEM ?
    Last edited by Roy644; 9th Apr 2016 at 13:03.

Originally Posted by Roy644

I mean, we don't even expect a company to promote the game a lot in this phase, and they indeed did not advertise it ! So what are they crying about ? It will be so simple to get rid of the stupid launcher (like 99% of the community was asking), change the monetization (i.e get rid of stupid chests or change the price point/rewards), stop the money waste on leagues, concentrate on bug fixing and real content and finally, get the game out of beta with the advertising it deserves. Why does that seems so hard ?
    Yes if it ever does come back launcher free and under "noo managemint" can we simultaneously throw all our chests into the Abyss?
    signature image

Originally Posted by itsRagnaros
    Alright, I understand there is nothing more the community can do... but honestly before Nosgoth shuts down, I want all the money u guys owe me... I've made multiple tickets everywhere emailed everyone u guys told me too... still haven't received a dime for months. Someone from psyonix or SE please reply to this post, it's the least u can do....
    Agreed.

Originally Posted by Sluagh
    Yes if it ever does come back launcher free and under "noo managemint" can we simultaneously throw all our chests into the Abyss?
    The problem is, publishers seem to be unable to think of other means to monetize a game than RNG crates these days... If this doesn't work to make tons of money, might as well shut down the project eh ! They fail to realize that there is still a part of the gaming community that doesn't like this system and won't take part in such business practice. Not everyone is playing CS:GO and buying keys to get knife skins. It's not the ONLY way to make money for god's sake.

Page 5 of 15 First First 123456789 ... Last