Thread: Subtle Idea for Dive Bomb

Subtle Idea for Dive Bomb

Subtle Idea for Dive Bomb

Nobody uses Dive Bomb. Really I would like buffs to all underpowered abilities, so we could have more varied gameplay. Besides tweaks to damage and cooldowns, it's fun to consider alternative ways to improve skills. For this one, I looked at a particular weakness: although it staggers enemies, like other such abilities it essentially staggers the vampire as well, locking them in a recovery state. While it doesn't seem right at all to let the Sentinel hit the ground running, what if he were still immobilized but able to charge a melee attack during his recovery? This way, if he manages to survive the inevitable focus fire upon impact (he often doesn't), he can perform a deadly follow-up or possibly dash behind cover. Conceptually, I think it's a pretty cool combo that would make DB more fun to use.

EDIT: From below, I'll admit this idea is not elegant, being like an exception to a rule which would clutter a tooltip badly. Other ideas are totally welcome; really it would just be nice to see the whole range of abilities in regular play. When a skill is deemed worthless, it's as if it never existed.
    Last edited by gnome_dome; 31st Mar 2016 at 01:59.

I would have to disagree.

It'd make Divebomb THAT much easier to link when the Sentinels use it in a cheesy way, like abducting then immediately Divebombing.

It'd be just as bad, if not worse than Puncture.

It's best used when everyone's already focused on vampires and not paying attention to the skies. Use it when your buds are hamming it up, almost like a finisher.

If it needed any sort of buff, make it more clear on how to get the 400 damage out of it. I've had teammates launch from damn-near cross map and it'll still hit 200.

Well the only reason I brought up this ability in particular was to make it more appealing, hence my opening sentence. I've never seen it cheesed, and I've played a long time. Where are these people who prefer DB over Air Strike? Who knows, maybe there could be some cheese abuse if this change were implemented, but probably no worse than any other cheese. Lower its impact damage if you like. Currently it's pretty much a forgotten skill once anyone obtains a new secondary.

I think dive bomb should get a damage buff; or go back to being knock-down (and not stagger).
    The way it is now, it's just no good compared to the alternatives...

Don't get your hopes up though...devs haven't considered any advice from the forums in months, and from what it seems they won't be focusing on balancing abilities.
    Their primary goal is new content, which means skins and new class...balance, gameplay and bugs will come after that...maybe...

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    I think dive bomb should get a damage buff; or go back to being knock-down (and not stagger).
    Or like I suggested long ago to simply make it knock-down on direct impact + stagger those within radius.
    However, there's a problem with that tweak now. A Sonic Boom+Dive Bomb loadout is now possible. The ability to knock down a human twice in rapid succession is a bad balance.

Originally Posted by Phobophobian
    Or like I suggested long ago to simply make it knock-down on direct impact + stagger those within radius.
    However, there's a problem with that tweak now. A Sonic Boom+Dive Bomb loadout is now possible. The ability to knock down a human twice in rapid succession is a bad balance.
    Stagger for Sonic Boom and knockdown + fixed max damage for Dive Bomb sounds reasonable.

Don't get your hopes up though
    Yeah, fair point of course. Mostly I just enjoy this sort of discussion, and regardless of whether player suggestions are ever implemented it gets the community's opinion out there. I'll admit mine isn't great; it's a neat idea but just not elegant, being like an exception to a rule which would clutter a tooltip badly. Eh, I should have made the topic about scarcely used abilities in general, since that's the bigger picture I'm getting at.

Don't get your hopes up though...devs haven't considered any advice from the forums in months, and from what it seems they won't be focusing on balancing abilities.
    Their primary goal is new content, which means skins and new class...balance, gameplay and bugs will come after that...maybe...

Of course the priority is content. The money's in the content and that's the real goal. Reviving the series, ha ha...

It should get a damage buff. Going back to knockdown would just turn it into Sonic Boom.