Thread: The movement away from Steam.

The movement away from Steam.

The movement away from Steam.

There's no way around it, the Steam-free launcher is a mistake, a step in the wrong direction. I don't believe there's enough Steam-hating players to warrant annoying most of your playerbase. In one strike, players lost their friends lists, their self-made avatars (I know I'll miss mine), and the nickname they grew used to using.
    And for what? So far, every publisher that tried to make a move against Steam has offered their own substitute-EA has Origin, Ubisoft has Uplay, Blizzard has Battlenet. What does Square Enix have to offset this poor, awful, anti-consumer decision?

Look, Nosgoth is a struggling F2P game. Reducing its popularity by making its UI a to handle can only be considered a wise decision if you're consciously trying to run this game into the ground.
    Last edited by DJ_HARD_DIK; 18th Mar 2016 at 16:13.

not gonna lie. I find their launcher clunky, uncooperative, intrusive and ill thought out. I'd much rather just launch through steam rather then have to rely on a launcher that I can't even resize to fit my screen.

I don't even see the launcher's point. It opens Steam anyway so I just close it and launch through Steam.

I can't play with my steam friends anymore, so I haven't bothered playing at all since the update.
    I got the Immortal Founders pack and feel betrayed. If I knew they would pull this kind of thing I would have never bothered.

They seem to have no interest in actually improving this game and just want to maximize profit.

From a start I claimed that this launcher was never a good idea. More things to find bugs in.

Honestly i never understood why they want to distance themselves from Steam...seems like a mistake, especially after this last update.

Hope there is a good reason other than "making the game available"...cause if it's just this, the "cons" are greater than the "pros" and just not worth it.

Well, can someone fix it eventually? It's been weeks since I am absolutely unable to team with a friend that I used to play daily with without problems before patch.
    I REALLY want to play!

It seems to have been fixed...can see my steam friends again.
    Only thing left is fix the MM so it's fast again. (Oh, and new class/ability balance ofc)

Agreed with OP, the launcher so far brought more bugs in, took away lots of previously working and customizable features, made it impossible to play in parties, etc. I´m not happy in the direction this is going so far

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    Agreed with OP, the launcher so far brought more bugs in, took away lots of previously working and customizable features, made it impossible to play in parties, etc. I´m not happy in the direction this is going so far
    I think noone can be happy about one single aspect of the launcher. Not even one little aspect. Devs please just think about it. It adds bugs tons of bugs, bugs and bugs again, less options and only negative things. It's not difficoult.. steam was much better.

The one reason they wanted to push a standalone launcher was to make it more accessible to other regions where Steam is not as widespread. I guess they are talking about Asian territories, because I don't know of a single gamer from the Western World that doesn't have a Steam account already for some other game.

The only good thing I was excited for was the ability to push out smaller and more frequent patches. Having that ability is nice and all, but if they will just bundle everything into giant patches and not fix glaring bugs for weeks on end, then why even bother?

All of the current problems (except Sonic Boom) stem from the switch to the Stanadalone Launcher, which nobody asked for or wants - so you are literally just creating your own problems at this point.

I'd guess it they're doing this cause there is something about steam that they want to get away from...

Maybe it's something simple like extending it to regions where Steam isn't very used (someone said Asia doesn't use it much...gotta verify that later...);
    Or it could be they're following models like LoL, where they have they're own Launcher and are pretty much independent....dunno.

I wondered if SE might be aiming to make their own ecosystem within a launcher that is fashioned after Steam, Origin, uPlay, etc... It doesn't seem to be the case but it did cross my mind.

Really, the way things get done at Psyonix makes everyone frustrated. This beta has been fairly good for the most part over two years that I've been here but I've noticed the pattern. Psyonix puts out a new technical update to the game and spends about half the year getting that update to a stable point and then will release some new content like a map or class. I'm guessing their internal roadmap is to get a set amount of features implemented into the game before it goes live so it's 'competitive' with others in its class, whatever it may be being compared to.

That's why we don't see older parts of the game revisited often. No balance changes or very few new abilities. Sentinel just gets most of the love. I really want to see more abilities for the deceiver, reaver, and summoner but tuning a lot of the existing abilities would do *so* much for the game; plus it would be great to have another pass at the talents to make them more than just swappable bonuses like we see on enchanted abilities. It's a shame it's probably not going to happen for a while.

Originally Posted by DJ_HARD_DIK
    There's no way around it, the Steam-free launcher is a mistake, a step in the wrong direction. I don't believe there's enough Steam-hating players to warrant annoying most of your playerbase.
    And that with just like 600-1500 players playing at a time maybe less cuz the damn Launcher says your In-Game altho you might be playing something else and frogot to close the Launcher properly.