Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: Status Update 17th March 2016

Status Update 17th March 2016

Status Update 17th March 2016

Hello there everyone,

We have spent the last couple of days gathering up all of the feedback that you guys have been giving us about Nosgoth’s latest update, nailing down reproduction steps for issues, and prioritizing fixes.

I would like to touch upon a few of the more pressing points to let you guys know where we currently stand on them.

Sonic Boom
    We are looking to make balancing changes to this quite soon. Increasing the minimum cooldown timer by a considerable margin is the leading proposed change at the moment. There are a few other tweaks that we’re considering as well.

Beastmaster
    We’re relatively pleased with the response that he has received so far. There seems to be a general consensus amongst you guys that he’s not overpowered, which is great. A few people have been discussing whether or not he’s a tad under powered. It’s going to take some people a while to starting playing the Beastmaster in anywhere approaching an optimal manner, so it’s too early to say how the majority of players are utilising him.

The standard damage output of his shotguns has come into question. It’s important to understand that damage output purely from his primary weapon isn’t designed to be particularly high. He has quite a bit of utility in his kit. To play him well, you’re going to need to have a good understanding of how best to use his abilities. Don’t be afraid to rely on them slightly more than with many of the other classes. Positioning is particularly important with him.
    We will continue to monitor his use over the next few weeks. We expect to player proficiency with him rise during this time, and so anticipate that those who put in the time, will become quite effective with him.

Crash When Closing the Game
    We are aware of this issue and are investigating it as a high priority.

Friends Importing from Steam
    I’ve mentioned this on the forum already, but for those who didn’t see it the first time. The new friends system was originally designed to automatically add any of your Steam friends who had played Nosgoth using an SEM account, into your friends list. Unfortunately this feature was proving to be problematic during Monday’s deployment, and so it had to be cut from the release.

We have been working to get that functionality back online, and hope to do so soon.

Parties
    There are all kinds of irregularities with these at the moment, we’re working on fixes for a number of party related issues at the moment.

Matchmaking
    The way Leagues matchmaking is handled was changed with this update. The change hasn’t had a positive impact. We are currently investigating ways to improve that.

Sonic Boom Activation
    A number of people have commented that Sonic Boom does not activate when they press the button. There is a minimum speed that you need to hit before being able to activate the ability....so make sure dive dive dive!

Play Button Greyed Out
    This usually comes about as a result of a poor update. Please follow these steps to attempt to fix the issue.
    Ensure your version of Windows is up to date. In particular, Windows Vista should be on Service Pack 2. Windows 7 should be on Service Pack 1.

Install all redistributables found in this file location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\nosgoth\_CommonRedist
    Please make sure to install each year of the VC++ Redistributables. If you have a 64bit setup you need to install both X86 and X64 versions. If you have you are running a 32bit setup, you only need to install the x86 packages.
    Once all the redistributables are installed, restart the game.

If you have been experiencing this issue, it would be great to know if the above helps you or not.

League Points
    We’re investigating reports that points are behaving oddly. The end of match screen certainly displays incorrect points sometimes. We’re still investigating how this translates to the points stored on the backend.

Fixes
    We’re approaching fixes via two routes. Backend and client side. It should hopefully be possible to fix some issues (friends importing for example), purely by working on our backend servers. Most of the problems however will require a game update to address.

We’re currently aiming to fix some issues via a game update early next week. We will have a follow-up game update shortly thereafter to address some more issues.

These are the majority of the high-priority fixes that we're working on right now. If you have other issues that haven't be mentioned here, we're likely tracking them already, they're simply seen as lower priority. There's no harm in mentioning them here anyway.

Hopefully this post gives you a better idea of what we're working on, and which issues are taking priority. Thank you once again for your feedback, and helping us to make Nosgoth better!
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Thankyou for the clarification on what you are prioritising and more transparency.
    However I would still like to know specifics regarding for example this comment:

Matchmaking
    The way Leagues matchmaking is handled was changed with this update. The change hasn’t had a positive impact. We are currently investigating ways to improve that.
    Would be nice to know what you changed so that we could actually decide wether we like it or not. Hard to say if we don't know what has changed.
    For example say you split the queues but didn't tell us, I think more players would be forgiving of waiting a bit longer if they knew that was why... as long as we eventually get into a balanced match as intended. However not telling us this info would have a different kind of effect in that the MM just seems to take longer but noone knows why... and then players complain about wait times.
    Last edited by SonixSquad; 17th Mar 2016 at 19:38.
    signature image
    aka: Hellsonix / LeMMy

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    Sonic Boom
    We are looking to make balancing changes to this quite soon. Increasing the minimum cooldown timer by a considerable margin is the leading proposed change at the moment. There are a few other tweaks that we’re considering as well.
    I just dont see the point why the only godtier-class who can abuse almost everything possible in this game gets another op ability. The cooldown shouldn't get decreased if you cancel it early, because you already get an advantage for using it only a small amount of time and the hitbox is way too big and very hard to avoid. Also almost no sound que to hear a sentinel coming. The current meta was never that boring like nowadays. Double sent all the time.

- 30 fps for instant max speed from wallboost and sharper turns like pre-nerf tyrant
    - 360° puncture which hits every target around you
    - broken bleed talent
    - global wallhack
    - lowgrab puncture instagib combo
    - no-sound abduct if cast behind certain walls
    - highest mobility in the game to abuse respawns from humans

Thx for the update, Oghamsmith.

I'd like to add, that Sonic Boom needs a better soundeffect or atleast make it louder, so humans have atleast a chance to react on an unseen incoming Sentinel. Also the Range/Area of effect is too big in my opinion.
    I imagined this new ability to work like the Abduct/Kidnap. So if you trigger it, there is no going back and you just have to try hit something with it and then cope with the full cooldown.
    But let's see what wonders a little bit of cooldown adjustment you mentioned above will do for this ability.

PS: Do you read private messages?
    Feel free to join over 300 of us on the Nosgoth Discord Server using one of those links:
    http://discord.me/nosgoth | https://discord.gg/0oMyND4Vc3HhNtvz

Thank you very much for the update!

Like SonixSquad I am also curious what the changes to matchmaking were.

For Sonic Boom, some things to consider would be:

1. The size of the attack/object. This could be decreased.

2. Scaling damage up with the length of time it's active so there's a longer cooldown but keep the knockdown for any length of use. Example, 100 - 300.

Regarding Beastmaster, I need more playtime but suggest the following:

1. Tuning the activation speed of Power Shot and Chain Lightning would help with his utility abilities. Faster activation, bigger hitbox/object, or faster travel speed (maybe instantaneous for Chain Lightning with a small delay between jumps). If BM is more about utility, then getting Chain Lightning out onto a group should be swift. Also Power Shot looks weird when initially coming from the shotgun, like it skips frames or something. edit: Could we get a radius on Chain Lightning's jumps?

2. Ley Line should be able to function without line of sight to an ally, such as when the BM gets split up.

3. Treshawk flight and Wrath of the Firebird is a tandem issue that will likely both get resolved with one or two solutions. Wrath of the Firebird could be an ability that functions like a weapon having a clip size that cannot be reloaded until the next transformation. The reload would be automatic. That gives more control over it rather than the attack be automated once activated.
    Last edited by TheDreamcrusher; 17th Mar 2016 at 19:52.

I think you should also investigate the black screen bug. After the loading screen you just get a black screen and have to restart Nosgoth.

Hello Oghansmith, thank you for keeping us updated on your work!

I'd like to introduce a few things that I've noticed so far.
    1. Sonic Boom - the ability itself is ok, but the way how people use it atm is breaking the game. Here's some of my suggestion's to improve it:
    1.1. Need to add the sound when you activate this ability just like on abduct/kidnap
    1.2. Increase the c/d delay or, how it was mentioned before, make it so that once you activated it you must wait full c/d
    1.3. Reduce hitbox in width, so humans can still dodge it like any other sentinel's skill
    1.4. If everything above will be applied to SB it will make it too weak so I suggest adding damage reduction from the front (cause he's spinning - all incoming projectiles will kinda "bounce off") 20% will be enough.
    2. Beastmaster - so far I really like this character, tho there is some issues that need some attention:
    2.1. He's shotguns doesn't have any stopping power (is it bug or it should be like that?). I thought shotguns will have the most stopping power in the game or at least will take 2nd place after the Alchemist's cannons. Since he's fire rate is so low it will be really helpful for him to survive.
    2.2. He's Melee Talent is too OP atm. 300 dmg per melee is way too much, even tho I was hoping to see a melee class for human side - this is too much. With it he can easily deal 600 damage in less than 1.5 seconds - no vampire class can do that much damage in such time. Suggest nerf it to 200 dmg or scaling up from 100 to 300 depending on the amount of HP left (something similar to Tyrant's Enrage skill) or add the melee speed penalty so he wont be able to spam 300dmg every 0.5 second.
    2.3. Deployment speed of "Leyline" and "Chain lightning" abilities is way too slow, especially on Leyline. It feels really sluggish. He's other skills doesnt have that tho imo.
    2.4. Nature's Fury physics is really weird, tho I can understand why you guys made it like that - its easier to hit, but I think the speed of projectile needs to be increased.
    2.5. Sound effect's of his weapons and skills are really strange - Chain lightning sounds like Prophet's Eldrich Guard which is annoying, it would be much more interesting to hear some z-z-zap or thunder-ish sound. Shotguns sounds like children's toys, I think they need to be more agressive/louder (great example is he's Powershot ability - sounds awesome) but for now they sound even weaker than Prophet's Heavy Pistols.
    For a bird form can't really say anything negative nor positive - its okay, I would love to see some more agility, but it will make it too OP, I get used to its speed and I think it doesnt need a buff - its enough to chase a low hp vamp/get away from 2-4v1 situations to your teammates.
    Overall I really like this class, it feels unique and different than other classes simply because of the way you should use it. It's not OP at all as everyone thought, but in the right hands he can rule the battlefield.

In the end I would like to thank you guys for your massive work that being done in this patch, even tho most of the things seems to work incorrectly, but its only open beta so its okay to have some issues. I stumbled upon this game by accident a year ago, but now I'm addicted to it. Really hope you guys will make it even better!

P.s. Love the new Daily Challenges System - its simply awesome! Add's to the game some more competitive spirit, and rewards is really badass this time!
    Sincerely Cry me a reaver.

please prioritize partysystem, league matchmaking and sonic boom.

I'd LOVE to play, but I've been match making for a league game for 1 hour 34 minutes and 48 seconds.

As good as his kit may be and I'll wait until I feel it is good enough to say so, the weapons are the point.

A throwing axe should never surpass a shotgun round; but it does in this game, it somehow travels further while still doing greater damage along the way. The potential of missing is least likely with the shotgun at close range; but the same can be said of the Alchemist's multicannon and that is alot more reliable when it comes to dealing the full damage.

If you can't increase the damage then I'd suggest consolidating the damage by reducing the number of pellets in each shot. I'd also suggest reducing the spread; and reducing the damage drop while possibly extending the range, it should at least be able to keep up with a throwing axe.

tweak sonic boom (atleast louder and adequate cd).
    add standard -20% spread and recoil perk for testing shotgun damage.
    increase speed of lighting like life leech or add staggering effect of electricity.

Sonic Boom Activation
    A number of people have commented that Sonic Boom does not activate when they press the button. There is a minimum speed that you need to hit before being able to activate the ability....so make sure dive dive dive!
    It may be beneficial to incorporate some manner of extra indicator to denote when the speed is high enough to trigger the attack. Maybe the icon flashes or something.

Originally Posted by kLauE187
    - highest mobility in the game to abuse respawns from humans
    It's a winged supernatural creature. It should be highly mobile.

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    It's a winged supernatural creature. It should be highly mobile.
    Nothing is wrong with a mobile class, but a sentinel should have downsides. In the current state he has a good engage, good disengage, a lot of utility, highest mobility, insane dps and the best "cc" in the game with abduct. This is way too much. Only way to counter a top level sentinel is with another broken ability (eldrich guard). Even if he had lightspeed arccording to the lore, it's a multiplayer game after all and should be balanced around this.

The standard damage output of his shotguns has come into question. It’s important to understand that damage output purely from his primary weapon isn’t designed to be particularly high. He has quite a bit of utility in his kit.
    Basically means that a beastmaster doesn't have the best weapon because he has "quite a bit of utility". Powershot is unreliable, knives/bola/hexshot are way better. This means just because he can fly he is not supposed to deal good damage? But a sentinel is all around good in every single aspect of the game? Makes no sense...

OMG guys just listen what top ESL players are saying. Klaue is 100% right here.

Originally Posted by kLauE187
    Nothing is wrong with a mobile class, but a sentinel should have downsides. In the current state he has a good engage, good disengage, a lot of utility, highest mobility, insane dps and the best "cc" in the game with abduct. This is way too much. Only way to counter a top level sentinel is with another broken ability (eldrich guard). Even if he had lightspeed arccording to the lore, it's a multiplayer game after all and should be balanced around this.

Basically means that a beastmaster doesn't have the best weapon because he has "quite a bit of utility". Powershot is unreliable, knives/bola/hexshot are way better. This means just because he can fly he is not supposed to deal good damage? But a sentinel is all around good in every single aspect of the game? Makes no sense...
    haha ...

(click image to enlarge)
    signature imagesignature imagesignature image
    GTX 970 - i7-3770 - 16 GB RAM - 1920x1080, 120 Hz - Windows 7 Prof.

Sonic Boom
    I hear Overnerf coming... Depends if 'considerable' is in % or absolute value Here's my idea for a fancier fix.

Just increase minimum duration of SonicBoom to 1-1.25 sec. Results:

1) Miminal CD increased
    2) Self Knockdown actually a problem. Wall perimeters, corners and buildings within dodge distance become human safezones. There are also a lot of physical artifacts to collide everywhere.
    3) Senti having +100% damage will become a seriously used drawback. 0.2 sec SB and a 1.2 sec SB is all the difference you need for your 950 charged shot.

Also
    4) Add adequate recongnisable sounds to encourage the +100%dmg fest

I believe the above ballances the ability to at least abduct level, without making it dull or only playable against newer opponents. It will stay high risk-high reward, promoting more competency in its use - evading being 1shot instagib, focused AND knockdowns.

If that is somehow not enough:
    5) Make the Damage Bonus apply from all directions (but less %). We all know thanks to deceiver's backstab that pawn positions in Nosgoth are unreliable. Let go of that mechanic, because SB is high risk high reward and needs a reliable counter, not a randomly working one. If promoting safezone positioning and extra random damage was not enough, then let any burst (like charged shot) counter SB senti more predictably and reliably.

I wouldn't believe it, but if the above didn't nerf SB, then:
    6) Reduce SB hitbox to a little less than the full human dodge distance. Or increase the wall hit-knockdown hitbox collision.

And at last fix the other bugs/balance problems with the sentinel class like the 30fps.

Matchmaking
    What was the change with such an immediate impact? I'm genuinely curious and would like to know!

Beastmaster
    Sadly, he's not underpowered because of design or weak damage values, but because of execution. He feels not only slow and muddy, but also clunky to play. Not only are all of his abilities slow to activate, but also his weapon so dependent on the hitbox position and hitreg that it feels ineffective. The worst about BM execution is the Firebird.
    If Treshawk is supposed to be a scouting bird, give it a good FOV, set the camera farther behind it. Let me hover like a collibri bird or increase height while not moving in any directions. Given the possibility to aim Firebird may become useful, but it will still need a considerable buff to projectile speed.
    Last edited by Farnbeak; 18th Mar 2016 at 08:51.

Originally Posted by Farnbeak
    I hear Overnerf coming... Depends if 'considerable' is in % or absolute value Here's my idea for a fancier fix.
    The reason why Sonic Boom is so OP at the moment is not necessarily the cooldown, although it is a factor. The reason its so OP is because it is unpredictable. If a Sentinel is diving into the fight with Abduct, you get a audio warning roughly 1-2s before the grab actually occurs. That gives you the reaction time to either dodge or, in high level play, get your Bola out and catch him.
    I saw a lot of people complain about how Sonic Boom has no sound, but what would that even do in its current state? Even if it had an ear-piercingly obvious and loud sound effect, people only activate it just before they hit you - you still get no warning.

When sentinels are just flying above your head, you don't want to waste a Bola or dodge, since they will use that to get an easy attack on you. The fix for SB is simple: Get it in line with the other Sentinel abilities. Have an activation period, where the sentinel screeches and starts spinning, after a second or so, he will be locked into the whirling animation and kockback foes and do damage. After 2-4 seconds, the effect stops.
    To make it "fair" to the sentinels, remove the forced drop when hitting a wall and maybe give the player a little more control over the steering.

Originally Posted by Farnbeak
    Beastmaster
    Sadly, he's not underpowered because of design or weak damage values, but because of execution. He feels not only slow and muddy, but also clunky to play. Not only are all of his abilities slow to activate, but also his weapon so dependent on the hitbox position and hitreg that it feels ineffective. The worst about BM execution is the Firebird.
    If Treshawk is supposed to be a scouting bird, give it a good FOV, set the camera farther behind it. Let me hover like a collibri bird or increase height while not moving in any directions. Given the possibility to aim Firebird may become useful, but it will still need a considerable buff to projectile speed.
    All of the above.
    His weapons feel fine, but everything else he does is..
    just..
    so...
    slow..

Powershot, I feel, needs to be able to interrupt/stagger at all times (maybe knock down upon impact with a wall). It should definately interrupt abilities, or push vampires further. I've had tyrants shockwave me, eventhough I pushed them back just in time, and even charged melee attacks are not worth pushing them back for, since the make up the distance with the hit anyways.

Bird form is nice for positioning, aggressive play and retreat, but the abilities are very meh.
    While the windup for Swoop feels justified, the aiming and range on it is attrocious. It basically has the same problem as dive bomb, which makes that skill so bad. Its very akward to aim, and you cant swoop straight down, forcing you to keep a distance in bird form.
    Wrath of the Fire Bird... well, I don't know how this was a good idea. I've not had a single game where I or the enemy could hit anything with that ability. It, too, is way to slow and the slow steering on the bird and the inability to aim like with a Crossbow makes this not worthwhile. Maybe rework it so that it mirrors an Explosive Shot, with 3 shots firing rapidly and in a predictable arc?!

Good morning folks.

We have just pushed out a back-end fix for friends importing from Steam. Any Steam friend who has logged into an SEM account will automatically be added to your friends list.

The one exception to this is if your friend has set their Steam profile to private. In that case, they will not automatically be imported to the launcher. You can still add them manually by searching for their Nosgoth username within the launcher.

Regarding those wondering about the matchmaking changes. The intention was to improve the efficiency on the backend, it shouldn't have any impact on how matchmaking actually worked from a player's perspective. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, so we're looking to make some improvements there.
    Last edited by Oghamsmith; 18th Mar 2016 at 13:16.

Good morning folks.

We have just pushed out a back-end fix for friends importing from Steam. Now any Steam friend who has logged into an SEM account will automatically be added to your friends list.

The one exception to this is if your friend has set their Steam profile to private. In that case, they will not be imported to the launcher. In this case, you can add them manually by searching for their Nosgoth username within the launcher.

Regarding those wondering about the matchmaking changes. They intention was to improve the efficiency on the backend, it shouldn't have any impact on who matchmaking actually worked from a player's perspective. Unfortunately that wasn't the case, so we're looking to make some improvements there.
    Any news on the crashes? Do you need crash dumps? A few people have said the bug reporting tools are broken. I'm still waiting to get home to try the new patch out for myself. Oh, and someone said they haven't received the Armoured Tyrant for buying the 2100 runestones. I want to get that as well, so I could do with knowing if it's working.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Glad to hear what works are in progress, be very happy if these things are all sparkly soon

Hi,
    I am kind of afraid to not be able to make it to the blood rank due to the league issues (1 point for winning) and maybe it wont be fixed in 14 days. Should I try the league anyway or just wait the fixes?
    If the issues persist after 2 weeks, is there going to be an extension of the time for the league?
    Anyway, I like the new stuffs, the daily challenge and the beastmaster are good ideas =)

We have just pushed out a back-end fix for friends importing from Steam. Any Steam friend who has logged into an SEM account will automatically be added to your friends list.
    It worked, but only for the Launcher. In the game proper I have 0 Friends Online/Offline/Playing and party invites sent to me get a popup, but nothing happens

Originally Posted by Da_Wolv
    It worked, but only for the Launcher. In the game proper I have 0 Friends Online/Offline/Playing and party invites sent to me get a popup, but nothing happens
    Same. I cant invite cause i only see the friends on the launcher. Restarted both the game and steam 5 times.

Can u please give us the possibility to play through steam and completely bypass the launcher and his limitations?

Didn't u say that u wanted to allow both the steam users and the client ones to play togheter? This means that we should be able to not use your client.

Good progress is being made on the crash on exit issue, so we don't need the crash dumps at the moment Vampmaster, no. Thanks for offering though! The bug reporting tool on the site is being a tad temperamental at the moment, yes. For the time being please feel free to report bugs in the bugs forum section. If someone has had an issue with the 2100 skin offer, they should absolutely contact support to get their issue resolved. It's worth noting that it can sometimes take a few hours for the full transaction to be processed. It's worth bearing that in mind.

Pokobo, Right now we're working to document the individual use cases in which incorrect Leagues Points are applied. We certainly hope to have those issues fixed within 14 days, yes.

Da_Wolv
    Some players are seeing the full friends list in-game. Some aren't. We're looking into this at the moment.

Sasha
    We have said that we want to allow the standalone desktop launcher and Steam users to play together, yes. In order to make that possible, Steam users must use light version of the launcher in Steam.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last