Thread: VITALLY IMPORTANT!: The Firearms in Hitman

Exclamation VITALLY IMPORTANT!: The Firearms in Hitman

I have to ask: Did you guys at IO or SE not have a single firearms consultant onboard?

The reason for the above question is that currently there are a large number of ridiculously unrealistic (& gamebreaking) firearm mechanics in Hitman, incl.:

1. Headshots by pistols won't kill on 1st shot past ~30 meters (needs two shots)
    2. Shots to the upper chest (heart/central spine area) by a sniper rifle won't kill on 1st shot (needs anywhere from 3-4 shots)
    3. No body penetration (can't kill two perfectly aligned targets at once with a powerful sniper rifle)
    4. Assault rifles make less noise than pistols, infact the M4 look alike sounds like its a silenced SMG ?!

and a less important but still rather irritating issue at times:
    5. No object penetration system, i.e. you can't shoot through objects that rifles or even pistols quite easily punch straight through in real life.

As if this wasn't enough however we are given a final demonstration of how clueless (sorry but "if the shoe fits") the person(s) in charge of gun design for this game really were as he/she or they somehow managed to place the front & rear sights on the agency assault rifle, SMG & shotgun the WRONG WAY AROUND! Yes that's right, the front sight post is placed at the back and the adjustable rear peep sight is placed on the front on these weapons ingame. I mean what in the *beeeep* ??!

This is such a COLOSSAL shame considering how MARVELOUS the design of the rest of the game really seems to be, esp. the level design is just STUNNING (kodus to the map/level designers!), also the AI is actually quite decent. So for the love of GOD fix those guns, because atm they're a giant embarrasment to the rest of the game and they are KILLING the immersion!

Thus my serious heartfelt advice for IO & SE is:
    1. Who'ever stood for the weapon design in this game he/she seriously needs to be either:
    A) Told to seriously step up their game (i.e. read a book or two on firearms, and ideally get a hold of a firearms consultant!) or
    B) Be re-assigned to another task

BUT most importantly:
    2. Fix the above mentioned issues with the firearms ingame ASAP! Or risk losing the interest of a lot of players!

IO Interactive & Square Enix, for the sake of your many fans as well as your own reputation, please don't overlook this.
    Last edited by Heckler-Koch; 16th Mar 2016 at 22:02.

I've been offering similar suggestions.

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=187061

Hahahaha this is ridiculous!

Hitman vs Reality

To take it a bit further for anyone unfamiliar with such things (though I'm sure 80% of the gamers on here more or less know what these are.) these are the real life counterparts. Even if the game designers simply looked at pictures like these for inspiration you'd think they'd have gotten it at least close to being right. BTW how cool would it be if they added an animation of the FMG9 deploying? If I remember correctly Modern Warfare or some such game did that.

Notice the orientation of the sights on the KSG and also that the Tavor's iron sights are built into the rail and fold down for scope placement.
    Last edited by MolonLave; 16th Mar 2016 at 22:14.

That's another thing I really can't get my head around, why did they have to go and cook up their own fantasy weapons instead of just modeling real life weapons instead?

Either way the least you could do would be to hire a firearms consultant to make sure you didn't botch up the basics, such as the proper placement of sights (!!), so horribly, not to mention the terrible weapon behavior & target effects.

I TRULY hope that all this will be solved over time, and preferably soon'ish, cause currently simply just can't play the game - this all just bugs me too much.

I was disappointed with the guns when I played the beta, the 2 round burst on the assault rifle for instance felt like a bug and it still does now, same for the pistol headshot distance and complete lack of bullet penetration. ALL THIS WAS BETTER IN BOTH ABSOLUTION AND BLOOD MONEY, fix it...

Yeah its pretty odd that they had much of this already in previous iterations, but in this one its gone.... one would think they would improve on it, not take several steps backwards and remove it o.O

+1 from me.

Could swear the damage was better in the beta but might just seem that way because the smaller levels meant shorter ranges plus sniper rifles were not available in the beta. However, the critical thing for me was npcs actually dropped to the damn ground and stayed there (as if they'd actually taken a bullet). If they would at least re-implement the wounded state from the beta, that would be a good start. It should be the easiest thing to do given that they had it down already...

I forgot about the wounded state from beta! Yea! And damage dealt overall just needs to be improved. Considering if you are spotted the npcs swarm and work together and 47 cant take many hits, the aiming system sucks and the damage of 47s guns is much to weak. He is an assassin. He should be able to take out a few low level security guys without much effort. The tac smg silenced is awful. I put 17 rounds in a guy from about 10 yards away. All in the chest and it took 17 rounds. 16 were white hitmarkers. For some reason i think they actually decreased some of the damage as before the patch i remember being able to down enemies consistantly with 2 bullets to the chest from my silverballer.

If you guys haven't seen it yet, let me know what you think about my most recent thread. I went into a little more detail about the weapons because I doubt IOI can really get their hands on any of them. That's still no excuse for not doing their homework.
    http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=187816
    Last edited by MolonLave; 18th Mar 2016 at 22:04.

It really is a shame about all the Hitman games that they just lack polish. They are sooooooo good in sooo many ways but with just a little more effort could be absolutely stellar. Whoever developed Splinter Cell Blacklist needs to get their hands on all the Hitman games and retool them.

Quote Originally Posted by kidcharlemagn View Post
    It really is a shame about all the Hitman games that they just lack polish. They are sooooooo good in sooo many ways but with just a little more effort could be absolutely stellar. Whoever developed Splinter Cell Blacklist needs to get their hands on all the Hitman games and retool them.
    That would be Ubisoft Montreal, and yes. At least Ubisoft learned their lesson about the DRM stuff.

I was awfully surprised when I walked right onto the 2nd floor balcony and popped Novikov in the head when he first comes down the stairs, left a massive wound on his cheek, and this dude just stands up and limps away.

Quote Originally Posted by copperfronts View Post
    I was awfully surprised when I walked right onto the 2nd floor balcony and popped Novikov in the head when he first comes down the stairs, left a massive wound on his cheek, and this dude just stands up and limps away.
    Yeah that is very immersion breaking to say the least!

Any word from the developers would be nice.... the current gunplay is attrocious.

Come on IOI, just a word that you've at least seen this and the dev team is working on it would appease quite a few people.

Noted. Details from this thread (and others like it) are on our radar.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_IO View Post
    I personally find that encouraging!

Those agency weapons are ugly as sin anyway, who designed those? Just put in the regular M4A1-S, MP5-S, hunting rifle etc. Change the names if you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by arend-jan_ View Post
    Those agency weapons are ugly as sin anyway
    Isn't that the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Travis_IO View Post
    Thank you Travis, that means a lot! Hoping to see some changes to the gunplay mechanics soon, once they're in I'll definitely be playing again

They all look like bricks with grips quickly attached.

47s WA2000 sniper rifle was a great example of real world platforms to use but right now I just want a place to engage in combat period