Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar Plea

Unhappy Avatar Plea

Can I please make a plea to anyone who is listening to enable the avatars on this forum, as the administrators have them disabled
    And frankly I think it would be nice to have them working for us, don't you?

I agree. The avitars are a nice touch. I'd just as soon move my signature icon to an avitar.

Big Grin Yeah!

I wondered why this was so as well...Go for it!

Probably might not want an extra picture to slow the place down. I say, make us have to get the number of posts j7wild had before we can get it.

It isn't slow for me, but I'd rather it not be slower the speed i can get it at now.

J7

Is J7 still alive? And why did he get removed again? I never found out! Was it because he feined death? lol he promised me a grip clip and everything!

oh well

He is posting at the LCO forum, you can meet him there!

Originally posted by CyCro
    He is posting at the LCO forum, you can meet him there!
    Although I wonder why anyone would want to do so.

talking about someone who is not able to defend themselves shows bad form
    I don't know this J7 person, but please stop this gossip, it is not appriciated

as for THE True Lara's question: sorry, no avatars

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)

Originally posted by DriberBallZ
    sorry, no avatars
    So that is indefinetely?

Originally posted by DriberBallZ
    sorry, no avatars
    Could I politely enquire as to why?

Cool

technical issues

Question

wouldnt it slow down the bandwidth of the site? it would be nice to have them, but it's not necessary
    signature image
    did you really think that it was over? / my journal

nicely put chronicles!

If you want an avatar, just put it in your sig - it's gotta have a miniscule effect on the bandwidth, the technical problem is probably something else...

Arrow

Originally posted by Chronicles5
    wouldnt it slow down the bandwidth of the site? it would be nice to have them, but it's not necessary
    You could say the same about signature pics, and they're much bigger. I just saw how nice the avatars looked in other forums like StrikeForce's forum and wondered why Eidos couldn't manage the same? It's seems like such a little thing, but it makes a difference, I think.

Cool

Originally posted by THE True Lara
    You could say the same about signature pics, and they're much bigger.
    No you could not. Signature pictures are stored remotely on other servers and therefore linked remotely. Avatars must be stored locally, on Eidos server. This is just how this software works or so I've been told. Keeping in mind number 30000 (apprx. amount of members in the old forums) you can understand that there will be tremendous increase of bandwidth plus you'd need extra server space to store all these images.

Originally posted by Xcom

No you could not. Signature pictures are stored remotely on other servers and therefore linked remotely. Avatars must be stored locally, on Eidos server. This is just how this software works or so I've been told. Keeping in mind number 30000 (apprx. amount of members in the old forums) you can understand that there will be tremendous increase of bandwidth plus you'd need extra server space to store all these images.

Actually on a lot of forums you can link your avitars remotely, to quote a few sites that do this; StrikeForce, and any members of IKONboard. If Eidos have a system that does not cater for this then, well, that's their loss, it's a shame that they've up-graded their site ineffectually. I hope this isn't the case.

Cool

Yes, I know that. But anyway, avatars are like nr #172 on the list of most important things related to the functioning of this forum. So I wouldn't say that "not having avatars" implies unsuccessfull/ineffective upgrade.

I wasn't implying the whole thing was unsuccessful, I was just saying that it's a bit silly to have up-graded then disalowed the use of something like an avitar?! -especially when it appears the system has the capabitily for it.

Cool

Hey, no arguements from me.

Wink

You're a bit of a conundrum really, aren't you?

Cool

Originally posted by moose562

So that is indefinetely?
    for the time being, yes

maybe (that is NOT a yes!) in the future there will be ways to turn avatars on without the bandwidth problem, but as xcom mentioned, for now there are a buncha other issues that are more important

Question COOL!

Other issues? such as? Are there secret plans for something else on the forums? or is it having slight teething problems with people getting to grips with the new system?

i am nosey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast