Thread: THIEF MOVIE - Straight Up Films - News & Discussion Thread

THIEF MOVIE - Straight Up Films - News & Discussion Thread

Cool THIEF MOVIE - Straight Up Films - News & Discussion Thread

Thief Movie

Following the news that Square Enix's Thief franchise would be making the leap to the big-screen, developer Eidos-Montreal has now shared more details on the project. Studio head David Anfossi said in a statement that it is his hope that a Thief feature film will help grow the profile of the overall franchise.

"We have always been passionate about telling stories and bringing them to different mediums," Anfossi said. "With the intricate world of Thief being made into a feature film, a larger audience will be able to dive into this universe."

__

The Thief movie rights were recently acquired by Los Angeles-based production company Straight Up Films. The movie will be produced by Roy Lee (The Departed, The Lego Movie) and Adrian Askarieh (Hitman, Hitman: Agent 47). Fans of the game franchise may be happy to learn that Eidos-Montreal will also have a hand in producing the film.

Adam Mason and Simon Boyes (Misconduct, Not Safe for Work)are writing the screenplay.

Like the game, the movie will be set in a "dark fantasy world where a master thief tries to restore freedom, which has been denied by a magic-wielding tyrant."

There are no details at this stage about a cast, director, or release date, but we will have that information for you as it's divulged.
    signature image
    You are only minimally modified. Omar can help you correct this...

"dark fantasy world where a master thief tries to restore freedom, which has been denied by a magic-wielding tyrant."
    Does this seem similar to the plot in the current Thief game? If this movie actually gets made it would be nice if they could incorporate the Keepers into the story since they also dabble in magic.

Who do you think should play Garrett then? How about Richard Armitage?

So it will be based more on the new Thief , not on the older games? No, don't get me wrong. New Thief was good, just good..., the world was interesting, but the story itself...

Awesome! I hope it works out well. They should make burricks, too

Except that there are no burricks in the world of Thief 2014.

The movie will hopefully be about the "franchise", and not just the new one-off game that was inspired by the franchise. But I don't *need* burricks in the movie, just thought it would be neat. Game spoiler:

Yeah, that's right. I remember the devs originally saying something like "there won't be any dinosaurs in the game," obviously referring to burricks. But they did end up including a dead burrick or something, right? I think it was in the brothel/keeper level. And I think there was a wall trophy as well in one of the taverns.

Oh, yeah, that's right. Those words were probably a bit of a red herring, but the phrasing was a little disengenuous, too.

Movies aside, if they make another Thief game, it's good to know the owner of Square Enix (at least as of a few years ago) wants more transparency with the development, and more of a connection with what fans want. Have they been that way with Hitman? I haven't been paying attention

Originally Posted by xDarknessFallsx
    Movies aside, if they make another Thief game, it's good to know the owner of Square Enix (at least as of a few years ago) wants more transparency with the development, and more of a connection with what fans want.
    What is this a reference to? Thief 2014 only came out "a few years ago" so are you referring to someone at SE who came along after that?

The CEO had some quotes a few years back... I think toward the tail-end of Thief 4's development, or shortly after launch... where he talked about (paraphrasing) how Square Enix will be more open and transparent to fans during development, and have their wishes and desires play a role in development. It came after a disappointing fiscal year for them; with certain games not being received very well by respective fanbases. That's what I remember.

I don't know if this is the one and only article about it at the time, or if there were a few with slightly different quotes to choose from, but in a quick search, this is what I found. It has some of the quotes I remember: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/squar...reboot/0126791

Snippets from the article (quotes from the CEO):
    "When we look at how we take Square Enix forward in this era we have to adopt openness and transparency. I think our games, brands and us as a company must talk openly, must engage and must be true to our promises."

"... we must be in touch and listen to consumers and respond."

"... I don’t want people to be confused about what we’re doing."

"... Today, the Hitman team at IO are planning to send out an open letter to fans to explain some of their plans for the next Hitman game, it’s an open approach which we hope will help to bring the community closer to the game to deepen the relationship and strengthen the trust.”

"That openness exists throughout Square Enix. Naoki Yoshida, the man tasked with fixing and re-releasing the MMO Final Fantasy XIV, was candid in his interview on the mistakes of the original game, and how the firm could never let the fans down again."
    Those words came after Thief fans went a long time... was it four or five years?... without hearing anything about Thief's development; so it was refreshing news. It made me excited at the prospects of a more open development if a new Squre Enix 'Thief' game ever gets announced. I'm expecting those words by the CEO to carry through to any new Thief title that gets created. One might argue they should extend to the movie, as well... but I won't go that far. I'll let other fans (and senior leadership at Square Enix) decide on that one

Originally Posted by Shapeshifter878
    Who do you think should play Garrett then? How about Richard Armitage?

Hmm, not sure. His face isn't rugged enough and his eyes aren't doing it for me.
    signature image

Maybe Joaquin Phoenix would make a decent Garrett, or would have at some point in his life? Jude Law is a good actor; maybe he could pull it off? Though, I don't know if either of them could have a Garrett-y type voice, or not. I don't know... just throwing out ideas...

PS: I tried to put thumb tags around the images, but the board doesn't recognize. Not sure how to make them smaller, if it's possible.

Ahh... probably this movie will be based on the new thief, you know, no burricks, no keepers, i don't feel hyped

Probably will walk out of the theater wondering if I just saw a Ninja or Assassins Creed movie by mistake. I don't see how the producers can actually make a stealth based game into a movie without putting viewers to sleep.

Thief movie producers say a new Thief game is in the works...

“Widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever created, a fifth sequel is currently in development to be released in step with this motion picture adaptation,” Straight Up Films’ info on Thief reads.

EDIT/UPDATE:

Just in...

Eidos Montreal Boss Dismisses Rumor of a New Thief Game

Last week, rumors of a new Thief game being in development started making rounds online. The source of the report seems to be a listing on Straight Up Films which claimed that a new title is in the works and will release alongside Thief‘s motion picture adaptation.

Well, that doesn’t seem to be true. Or at least that’s what Eidos Montreal’s boss recently suggested on Twitter. In his own words:
    Last edited by Lady_Of_The_Vine; 17th May 2017 at 01:19. Reason: added update 17 May
    signature image