Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Nosgoth State of Play: February 2016

Nosgoth State of Play: February 2016

Post Nosgoth State of Play: February 2016

Welcome to yet another edition of the State of Play, your look at what’s to come in the world of Nosgoth. But before we talk about what’s new, let’s take a moment to recap the past month’s events.

Nosgoth Launcher Update
    First, we saw an update on the Nosgoth Launcher from Square Enix London, highlighting their plans for new features and bug fixes. We then saw the start of League Beta 5.0 which concludes today (so be sure to get some extra matches in ASAP). Our lore masters shared a hearty entry on our upcoming class, the Beastmaster, explaining its origins and motives for fighting in the war for Nosgoth.

Class Warfare
    Down the line, we revealed additional details on the Beastmaster through its new Class Warfare video. We also shared a new Deep Dive on the upcoming Daily Challenges, which replace the Daily Reward wheel with objectives and better rewards for your effort. Lastly, we sat down with Psyonix’s Audio Director, Mike Ault, to talk nerdy about sound design and foley work on the Alchemist.

And now, let’s take a look at the current goings-on in Nosgoth.

ONGOING - Mysterious Items
    It seems there was a time when Mysterious Items weren’t dropping with any regularity in-game. We’ve since made the necessary changes so be on the lookout for these sought after items. Any relevant boosters that increased Mysterious Item drop rate have also been recharged, so feel free to use them again!

TBD - New Skins
    It has been a while since we’ve shared any new Exalted Skins, but as we promised during our recent live stream, we have an update. Bundled into our next game update will be the new Exalted Vanguard and Exalted Prophet Skins; here’s an early look at their new threads:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

TBD - Ping Update
    Released late last year, the Ping system is the latest way to communicate with your teammates in Nosgoth. Using both context-sensitive and specific announcements, players are able to send out important information on the fly without the need of typing out a response or speaking another language.

In our next update, players will be able to call out Health Stations and Corpses on the battlefield. A blue marker will be placed above the respective human or vampire resource as well as on the minimap. This should help your team find much-needed supplies when in danger.

Check out the images below to see how it will look in-game:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

TBD - New Avatars
    As work on the Nosgoth Launcher (and that future update) continues, we have more features ready to show off. We’ve assembled a large swathe of avatars for players to choose, ranging from class-specific logos to character mug shots (and a few others that aren’t ready just yet). These new avatars will replace the existing Steam avatars and will be available for players using either the desktop launcher or Steam.

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

TBD - Performance Updates
    Some additional tweaks have been planned to alter the look of the Nosgoth and help out anyone with performance issues on certain maps. First, we’ve fixed various textures throughout every map in the game in order to put less strain on your computer across the board.

Second, we’ve altered the skyboxes on each map to make them darker. Why? Because vampires generally don’t like sunlight, some more than others.

You can see the skybox changes below:

(click image to enlarge)

TBD - Loading Screen Update
    Recently, we put the call out for community tips that should be featured during loading screens. Having sifted through the fantastic suggestions, we compiled a list of our favorites that will be featured in-game at a later date.

We have a few examples right for you to check out now:

(click image to enlarge)

(click image to enlarge)

Thanks to everyone that that submitted suggestions! We hope to include more tips and tricks down the line, so keep those suggestions coming!

--
    And that'll do it -- another installment of the Nosgoth State of Play has come to an end. What did you think of this month's edition? Do you have specific questions about our schedule? Want to make additional suggestions? Then head on over to the official forums (err, here) and let us know!
    Last edited by Oghamsmith; 1st Mar 2016 at 12:19.
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Do you think we will be getting the Beastmaster this week?

1. Exalted Skins
    Man these are looking pretty nice.
    The Vanguard looks like he is connected to Taurus (like the myth..."a large and powerful bull"), and the Prophet looks like a dark angel of death ready to reap some undead souls (just a shame the elite Prophet skin isn't as awe-inspiring...although ppl seem to like it)

2. New ping icons
    Very useful...many times i try to signal i have a body for a weak vamp, but by the time i type it's too late (and they usually don't figure out the ping i sent was 'cause of body)

3. Darker sky
    Haaa...you don't fool me, you guys are doing this 'cause of the Rahabim. So fans wont rage about him being "in the sun"
    Well honestly it's pretty valid, seeing the Turelim build those smoke-thingies to darken the skys...

4. Tips
    It's very welcome. I see some new players are hesitant to use their abilities sometimes (and also Disguised Deceivers that don't notice they're pretty obvious to enemy team).
    I'd add stuff like "Ignore Pain can be used to feed, not only escape", "Press V to ping" and "Press C to bla bla" etc

PS: not sure if it's just me...but seems the pics need re-sizing.

Pics aren't being resized when browsing as a guest, for me at least.

Second, we’ve altered the skyboxes on each map to make them darker. Why? Because vampires generally don’t like sunlight, some more than others.

WE ALL KNOW WHAT THIS MEAN!!!!! OMG I CANNOT WAIT FOR RAHABIM!!!!!!!!!

Feeling pretty salty right now, because the exalted Prophet would've been WAY better as the elite skin...

Originally Posted by TheDreamcrusher
    Pics aren't being resized when browsing as a guest, for me at least.
    Not just for guests.
    PLEASE RESIZE - ALWAYS
    my browser is like, "wut there are pictures? Better make the writing microscopic instead!"

This all sounds pretty nice! But it seems like we get new content again without fixing the current? I think most players want to know what is getting fixed, instead of knowing the new content that will be put in the game. What about soundbugs (especially on The Fane and Sommerdamm), Deceiver Illusion's footsteps (even when their duration ended) and being visible in the second half of the game (same for summoner minions).
    So mysterious items didn't drop during the whole winter event which gave us ALOT of exotic weapons and special abilities.... I guess most players have enough exotic items (which they don't even want to use because they cannot be forged for benefits of your desire or salvaged for materials especially relicshards). So what do you want us to do with 10 Occult Splitterhatchets and 7 Winter's Pounces? They cannot be used...

Btw: good job on the Exalted skins!

The Exalted Prophet looks great! Much better than the Prestige one, although it's a shame it has to be stuck behind those damned RNGs! Really, no one's expecting them to be free or even *overly* common, but having them in the same prize pool as the uncanny and arcane items that players can forge whenever they please is too much.

The odds of Exaltad/Marked skins dropping is at least 1 in 15 in my experience, which equates to 15000 runestones or £30 or near enough to a AAA game, which is far too much for one skin. You might say the more commonly dropped items still have value, but *not when you've been playing since alpha and already have a ton of them*.

If the odds are intended to be better than I've observed, then the chests are in dire need of a bad luck protection system (x chests with no skin = skin on the next attempt) or some way to improve the odds via gameplay or even just pay extra to (partially or wholly) bypass the RNG. At the very least, remove uncanny and arcane from the chests, because those don't even have the aesthetics that from what Chris/Ryan have said is the whole point of them.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

TBD - Beastmaster ? ... Or is he out now?
    signature imagesignature imagesignature image
    GTX 970 - i7-3770 - 16 GB RAM - 1920x1080, 120 Hz - Windows 7 Prof.

I dont know if this is the right place to ask this:

But when is New Recruit coming back as a game mode?
    There seem to be more new players around and they got nowhere to go

I hope the ping for health will be the same button as the current one just context sensitive?

The new skins are nice but again, hindered by being behind an unreasonable paywall with very little chance of actually receiving one. How many people did you actually see have auric skins? I can count them on one hand.

The new skies were definitely needed and look much better!

The new avatar system is actually inferior to the current one, no more custom avatars? That´s disappointing.

The tips on the loading screens are nice addition, hopefully the old cheesy "buy this skin now" screens are gone.
    Last edited by RainaAudron; 1st Mar 2016 at 14:48.

@Ryan - Small request about the avatars: Shouldn't the clan symbols have the clan colours as the background? Any chance we could get the pillar symbols in there too as avatars and banners.
    "If events are matched closely enough to course, they have a way of restructuring themselves to familiar outcomes." ~ Scorpius, Farscape

Originally Posted by RainaAudron
    The new skins are nice but again, hindered by being behind an unreasonable paywall with very little chance of actually receiving one. How many people did you actually see have auric skins? I can count them on one hand.
    Chests OP
    I feel like they were only put in the game so all the ESL Runestones they have to hand out are just turned into Arcane Splitter Hatchets and Mysterious Pounces.

EDIT:

ANOTHER LEAGUE STARTED? REALLY?
    Please devs... please... just... no
    League... seriously
    Last edited by Da_Wolv; 1st Mar 2016 at 15:35.

Kind of a small thing.. but why would you spend precious development time on taking away our freedom of using our own avatars?

And please don't start a new season of league, take the feedback into account and FIX THINGS before you start another one. Take a month off.. maybe two.. perhaps a year! Hell just remove league all together and shove the price pool into the real competitive community (ESL, duh) or make your own ingame tournaments! Anything is better than this clownschool from hell that supposedly should be fair and balanced..

Originally Posted by HexMee
    Kind of a small thing.. but why would you spend precious development time on taking away our freedom of using our own avatars?
    Very true.

Originally Posted by HexMee
    And please don't start a new season of league, take the feedback into account and FIX THINGS before you start another one. Take a month off.. maybe two.. perhaps a year! Hell just remove league all together and shove the price pool into the real competitive community (ESL, duh) or make your own ingame tournaments! Anything is better than this clownschool from hell that supposedly should be fair and balanced..
    We won't stop complaining about this... at least I won't.
    League could have been a nice little team focused mode to promote teamplay and give devoted people some nice ingame extras.
    Now its just a grind fest for money. Well done.

First skins... INSTABUY. Never expected you to make such nice exalted skins since you just made them for older players who have tons of gold. Thanks! I appreciate the hard work!

All in all awesome new patch, hope you release it fast. ^^

Also regarding pings and stuff. Whenever i see healthbars being just red i have no idea if it's vamp or human. I mean let's say i play healer prophet with the sacrifice or someone in team does. The healthbar is red but going up same as when there's a vamp and we are shooting it same red. Make it lightblue so it works way better, not a big deal for devs but really nicer for players. Hope others agree with me and support the idea Also same for alchem's healing mist or vanguard's Rally Cry.

Originally Posted by R3dLine237
    First skins... INSTABUY. Never expected you to make such nice exalted skins since you just made them for older players who have tons of gold. Thanks! I appreciate the hard work!

All in all awesome new patch, hope you release it fast. ^^

Also regarding pings and stuff. Whenever i see healthbars being just red i have no idea if it's vamp or human. I mean let's say i play healer prophet with the sacrifice or someone in team does. The healthbar is red but going up same as when there's a vamp and we are shooting it same red. Make it lightblue so it works way better, not a big deal for devs but really nicer for players. Hope others agree with me and support the idea Also same for alchem's healing mist or vanguard's Rally Cry.
    You're not getting they confused with the for-gold skins, are you? The exalted skins are the ones in the chests. I'm just making sure you don't end up disappointed, since you mentioned older players with tons of gold.

Looks all very good, the skins are looking awesome but I still not gonna buy chests. Sorry.
    signature image
    The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.

agree, this ranked mania is incredible, not only no ranked was nice, but 0 time beetwheen different ranked, with 0 fixes, 0 changes...

i feel me sad when i think how much money they trashed in ranked prizes instead of give to a good external dev specialized in optimize ue engine, for example.

Will we be able to import our steam avatars?

Those skins look amazing but seeing as they can't now nor ever be obtained through any method, I can't get very excited.

Loving the Rahabim foreshadowing. Pinging corpses sounds good too. Game tips, big plus. And it mentions something about audio, sound design...Perhaps The Crucible finally has music?

Originally Posted by Ygdrasel
    And it mentions something about audio, sound design...Perhaps The Crucible finally has music?
    Are you talking about the interview with Mike Ault? 'Cause you're making some strong assumptions.

I doo hope you're right though...i bet when they make SC's music it will be awesome and creepy

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Are you talking about the interview with Mike Ault? 'Cause you're making some strong assumptions.

I doo hope you're right though...i bet when they make SC's music it will be awesome and creepy
    Less assumption, more plea. And yes, yes it will.

I'm seeing plenty of questions about the avatar system and why changes are taking place.

In order to allow players on Steam and players on the desktop launcher to be able to add each other as friends/join parties/chat etc, the social system backend needed to be developed from the ground up. Steam had been handling most of it up until now, however it can not handle it for desktop launcher players. Everyone needs to be on one system in order to be able to interact with each other. This is the kind of stuff that the launcher team has been working on.

It won't be possible to upload (or import) your own avatars when the Desktop launcher releases. We're not ruling out getting avatar uploading in place at some stage later down the line. That's something that we would like to see, however, compared to something like getting parties working correctly, it's a low priority.

On an entirely different topic, just so the last couple of commenters here don't let their imaginations run too far ahead of them; production resources are focusing on areas of the game that impact gameplay and service improvements at the moment. We're not currently working on more map music. The Beastmaster's accent though...boy...that's something alright :P.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

Page 1 of 2 12 Last