Thread: Official Community Stream - Q&A

Official Community Stream - Q&A

Official Community Stream - Q&A

(click image to enlarge)

A little while ago, we gave you guys the opportunity to ask questions about Nosgoth, with the chance to have them answered by the dev team. Well, on Thursday the 25th of February, we’re going to run the next official Nosgoth livestream! We’ll be playing games with you guys, giving away goodies, and answering plenty of those questions!

To anyone who witnessed the massacre that occurred during the last stream…*ahem*...I’ve been practicing (at least a little bit), I swear!

When and Where?

Join Oghamsmith & Psyonix_Ryan on Thursday the 25th of Feb at 6 PM GMT/10AM PDT

If you don’t already have a Twitch account, make sure to create one now and follow the channel, we’ll be answering follow-up questions in the chat so don’t miss out on that!

Bring your friends, bring your family. Hell, bring your wives, husbands, sons, daughters, grandpas and grandmas; it’ll be fun for all of the family*!

*all of the family old enough to play a mature game of course .

EDIT:

VoD

Apparently Youtube wasn't the biggest fan of Oghamsmith's 1337 Ski11z0rs. That or Google has determined that his face is a better fit for radio, because it has decided that 360p is the best we're going to get with this VoD.

Sorry about that folks, we've poked them and this shouldn't occur with future videos. Still, we hope that some of those who missed the live stream manage to find some interesting topics that we touch upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtqn7CMpxM
    Last edited by Oghamsmith; 26th Feb 2016 at 17:47.
    Square Enix Europe Community Manager
    Square Enix Europe Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

This mean the 25 will be released the patch?

Nope; not a confirmation on a patch release. Just doing a stream.
    Psyonix Community Manager
    Nosgoth Community : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Twitch

How do we get to play with you guys?

Originally Posted by Psyonix_Ryan
    Nope; not a confirmation on a patch release. Just doing a stream.
    Awwwww.
    TBH though, I appreciate you guys taking your time.
    Now, I'd love it for the game updates to come more frequent and be smaller, but having a huge release every now and again helps getting some people back into the game.
    Hopefully, this time you managed to keep the bugs to a minimum.
    #GlobalInfect

Also, having the Beastmaster come out at the end of or outside of a League Season would be adviseable. If its broken or OP or whatever else you can think of, having it go live during ranked will be a nightmare.

Looking forward to the stream - going through the questions threat there are actually quite a lot of good ones, so I hope you are not bound by time too much so you can get into a lot of them.

cya on Thursday.

Just posting this here, in case there is someone like me who couldn't watch it live:

http://www.twitch.tv/nosgoth/v/50483261

ParadoxicalOmen,

"The page could not be found, or has been deleted by its owner"

Originally Posted by ParadoxicalOmen
    Just posting this here, in case there is someone like me who couldn't watch it live:

http://www.twitch.tv/nosgoth/v/50483261
    VOD got deleted? Rly?
    Ah well.

Here's my feedback, since you asked so nicely on stream:

1) I stopped watching once you started playing the game.
    2) I tuned in every now and again but heard nothing of interest
    3) I heard from others that there wasn't much useful information being conveyed.

My most important point however, is this:
    STOP PLAYING THE GAME ON COMMUNITY STREAMS!
    We are tuning in to listen to you talk about the game, what's coming up, what stage of development we are in, what bugs are being looked at, what your plans are. If we wanted to watch people play, there are dozens of other streamers that play this game all day every day (which don't roll into a chocking haze and die - yes - I saw that). The problem is also that you clearly cannot play and talk with substance at the same time. Either your gameplay lacks or the discussion (or both).

To this end, might I suggest this:
    Have one person stream the game, play Ranked, TDM, Flashpoint, do private matches with the audience - who cares - and you - the hosts - talk about the game in a meaningful manner. This way you can have your cake and eat it too:
    We get quality gameplay while listening to what we came for!
    Especially now with the Stream team initiative, I doubt there will be problems scheduling a streamer or just someone else from the office to provide background video for your talks.

I have to agree with Da_Wolv,

It is supposed to be a Q&A Stream, so we came here for some answers, and if there were more time for that people will ask more interesting stuff, like the bug we asked you about the animations (people turn the fps down to 30 as vampires so they can do harder turns) and the question about putting a numerical value for the sensitivity instead of that almost impossible to use slide.

Regarding the match stream, I don't think is a good idea encourage people to learn bad practices like having 4 scouts and never ever charge the bow completely ... Class stacking is usually a bad idea when there are more than 2 players with the same class. I strongly think that you should put some players with some skill playing and show tricks (how to use the warbow to stop a sentinel about to abduct, a tyrant about to throw a teammate... how to use hex to stop a reaver pouncing someone, the use of bola and throwing knives to make a climbing vampire fall to the ground and kill it ... in the vampire side how to be waiting for a human falling from an abduct with a fully charge melee and kill him when he drops, try to shockwave or drop abducted humans into chocking haze, and a very long list of other things that should be encouraged, like positioning in different maps instead of running around without any reason and how vampires synchronization should be).

Please take this as a constructive feedback, we are trying to let you know what seems wrong to be fixed.
    And thanks to the developers that are working so hard these days to get rid of those nasty bugs! (BTW, this week I experienced more audio bugs: not hearing abducts/charges).

For those Nosgoth players (and devs!) that are still not in the Discord Nosgoth Sever, come join us! Don't miss out who is streaming Nosgoth, the artwork channel, guides, latest news and general chat to find people to play with or create new ESL teams!! -> https://discord.gg/0oMyND4Vc3HhNtvz
    (more info: http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/sho...d.php?t=186000)

Visit my twitch on: www.twitch.tv/eldavimost
    Last edited by eldavimost; 26th Feb 2016 at 10:35.

I agree with Da_Wolv and eldavimost,

When you call it Q&A Strea, please do this and dont play the game half harted answering some question from chat. You made a hole thread for questions and they were a bunch of them, but you answered a pretty low amount and always looked for questions in stream chat. I would suggest that you look on the questions before the stream starts and get a list which you wanna answer and not search for question to answer while streaming. Additional like Da_Wolv said, let someone else play while you answer the questions, so both things get managed a better way. And maybe let a 4 player team play to show some tactics etc. like eldavimost said.

I´ll hope you dont take this as negative feedback cause you guys are awesome and the game is pretty nice but i personally come to hear something about what you gonna do next, which bugs are gonna be fixed etc. and not to see you play the game like a lot of other people i think.
    Thanks for your hard work and you do this streams and wanna hear our feedback

And join the Discord Server there are pretty nice people --> https://discord.gg/0oMyND4Vc3HhNtvz

I don't want to repeat everything again.. I completely agree with Da_Wolv, eldavimost and SuitTrooper.
    While I dont rly care if someone is playing the game or not (but I do understand the entertaining part of this),
    I think a Q&A stream should focus on the Q&A...

First I'm rly grateful for you guys that you take your time for this.. I think Ryan even had to stay up super early for this...

But we did collect a whole thread of questions for the Q&A..
    And I was under the impression that the Q&A stream was supposed to answer this questions...

I do understand that there will be another stream with the new update...
    But I'm pretty sure that you will focus on stuff from the new update in that stream...

So our questions about long lasting problems will still not be answered there^^
    signature image

Originally Posted by Shikei001
    But we did collect a whole thread of questions for the Q&A..
    And I was under the impression that the Q&A stream was supposed to answer this questions...
    Yes, i also notice this.
    It felt like we posted our questions for nothing in the end...i only recall 1 question being answered from that thread, which was the last question asked.
    (To be fair most questions from the thread were answered, but only bc the ones watching the stream asked them again...i was expecting you guys would round up the most frequent ones on a list and answer them...)

Originally Posted by SuitTrooper
    I agree with Da_Wolv and eldavimost,

When you call it Q&A Strea, please do this and dont play the game half harted answering some question from chat.
    I do enjoy watching them play, in fact Oghamsmith impressed me quite a bit (he wasn't lying about practicing)...but most people went there for the Q&A, next time would be cool if 1 of you focused on the questions while the other played (as suggested above).

Originally Posted by Farnbeak
    ParadoxicalOmen,

"The page could not be found, or has been deleted by its owner"
    Weird...you seem to be right, i can't see it or find it anymore. But well, for you guys that didn't get the time to see it, here are the most important/interesting things that i remember from the stream:

1- No PVE at all in the works or planning (no AI coop mode...only AI will be in tutorial)

2- "Interactable maps" was an idea the team liked, but no plans for the near/far future (i wonder if they're considering? I liked how both humans and vamps could fall in Freeport's waters...maybe it's something like this?*)

3- New ping feature for bodies and health stations are coming

4- Update will be delayed for a few weeks, containing the BM and new sent ability...probably till end of Leagues i'd say (but makes me wonder why not release a small update only with the sent ability...in the stream it was made to seem as if it's ready)

5- Next vamp class is in the works...possibly Rahabim.

6- Exalted prophet and vanguard skins were teased by sarcastically saying they weren't making them.

7- The game overall was being checked with the ESL players for re-balancing , seeking OP abilities, abilities that need buff or remake (Judgment hopefully as water AOE? ) etc.

*I was thinking about how some maps could have cool map interactions...like how Freeport used to have vamps fall and humans thrown in water.
    I thought about maybe have some lava hazard area in the Crucible map, and also having some form of activatable trap in the Silent Cathedral map.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the feedback so far, it's much appreciated.

The VoD was being uploaded to the Youtube channel overnight. Youtube is being awkward with silly processing times.

I agree with much of the feedback regarding having one person focusing on questions and one person on gameplay. I've done a better job of answering questions while playing, on some of the previous titles that I've worked on. Evidently, Nosgoth is slightly more demanding . Ideally I would like to mix things up, getting both casters to take turns gaming, but obviously it's a touch more difficult to get that done when each CM is on a different side of the pond. During future streams, we'll probably have 2 or 3 matches during which each person focusingon their own thing for the most part; and one match that both CMs jump into.

Looking at the format specifically - the vast majority of our streams will retain a similar format to that of the last two casts - chatting, gaming & giveaways. We did outline that we would be using that format for last night's stream at the start of this thread.

On to the questions! We did gather up the questions that were asked when the Q&A was announced, and answered quite a few of them last night. Some of you may have missed it, but at the outset of the stream, we did say that one of our next streams will have someone from design taking part, to discuss some of the nuanced topics in more detail. When the Q&A was first announced we also made sure to mention that those questions we don't answer on stream, we'll try to get to on the forum.

Topics of interest are always going to vary from player to player. Some people find discussing options menu slider functionality interesting, others want to know more about additional visual customization, and some have very specific gameplay questions. We did what we could to address as varied a bunch of questions as possible.

On to the topic of pulling questions from chat. Twitch is an interactive service. We very much want to take advantage of that. When the Q&A was first announced, we did mention that we did want to answer any follow-up questions to the topics that we had addressed in chat. And so we did.

As for the skill level of the gameplay - oh boy -. We're definitely not ESL or Eternal tier players. If you're hoping to see some of those guys, well, plenty of them stream and I would highly recommend checking them out (progress is being made with the Stream team initiative btw, some of those guys are pretty damn good :P). We have various members of staff of differing skill levels who we might be able to switch in and out of streams sometimes. Even when we do focus more on a singular task, answering questions vs playing the game. The person playing the game will still be having a bit of a natter at the same time, so they won't be 100% focused on gameplay.

One of the long term goals that I hope to be able to implement (assuming suitable candidates are available and our legal department is ok with it ), would be to possibly bring some of the stream team folks onto the official streams via the wonder of the interwebs.

This was the first stream featuring Ryan and myself. The overall smoothness of the cast will improve over time.

Thanks again for your feedback folks!
    Last edited by Oghamsmith; 26th Feb 2016 at 13:06.

Good stream, I have to agree with the others here that it would have been easier probably for all to have on person focusing on the Q&A (or have a third person answering questions and then two playing) - it was amusing watching two people play together though!

Hope to see more in the future!

Originally Posted by Oghamsmith
    When the Q&A was first announced we also made sure to mention that those questions we don't answer on stream, we'll try to get to on the forum.

Topics of interest are always going to vary from player to player. (...) We did what we could to address as varied a bunch of questions as possible.

On to the topic of pulling questions from chat. Twitch is an interactive service. We very much want to take advantage of that. When the Q&A was first announced, we did mention that we did want to answer any follow-up questions to the topics that we had addressed in chat. And so we did.
    Judging by experience "we'll try to" means no we won't do cause we don't have the time OR we get the answers to the important questions from the Q&A thread in a few months at best.

Yes topics of interest may vary from player to player but there is at least one page full of questions, that everyone wants answered. Like the question about matchmaking, 30-fps vamp turnrate "abuse", etc.
    But more than often those questions get ignored, especially diffucult questions like matchmaking(i think i asked at least about 6 times per community stream about what is done about matchmaking and never got an answer, and even if u can't answer cause its a thematic too sensible for a community stream tell us that, being ignored all the time doesnt feel good.)
    Also when questions do get answered we often only get answers like "we are not working on that/we did not plan to do that, but it sounds interesting". I think i am not the only one that thinks u guys only give us sad and sorry excuses at this point...

It shouldnt be this way, devs should work WITH the community to make the game good, not ask for their opinion and ignore it anyway. Let us know what u guys are doing and planning to do, there are a ton of other developer teams that give out a list of stuff being worked on and stuff that was finished every week on their respective forums.

If anyone mistakes this for a rant, so be it, i dont care, i just dont want to see this game beat itself slowly to death anymore...

Originally Posted by Nurgor
    i think i asked at least about 6 times per community stream about what is done about matchmaking and never got an answer...
    Lol, I had asked about Silenced Cathedral lore for like 20 times before finally got my answer.

But seriously, it's much more about twitch problems, not Chris and Rayan ones.

Judging by experience "we'll try to" means no we won't do cause we don't have the time OR we get the answers to the important questions from the Q&A thread in a few months at best.

Yes topics of interest may vary from player to player but there is at least one page full of questions, that everyone wants answered. Like the question about matchmaking, 30-fps vamp turnrate "abuse", etc.
    But more than often those questions get ignored, especially diffucult questions like matchmaking(i think i asked at least about 6 times per community stream about what is done about matchmaking and never got an answer, and even if u can't answer cause its a thematic too sensible for a community stream tell us that, being ignored all the time doesnt feel good.)
    Also when questions do get answered we often only get answers like "we are not working on that/we did not plan to do that, but it sounds interesting". I think i am not the only one that thinks u guys only give us sad and sorry excuses at this point...

It shouldnt be this way, devs should work WITH the community to make the game good, not ask for their opinion and ignore it anyway. Let us know what u guys are doing and planning to do, there are a ton of other developer teams that give out a list of stuff being worked on and stuff that was finished every week on their respective forums.

If anyone mistakes this for a rant, so be it, i dont care, i just dont want to see this game beat itself slowly to death anymore...
    You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

I lost the stream, can I see a record?

This is the truth. Transparency and two-way communication are not Psyonix's strong points.

I'm afraid that I didn't see your question in chat. As a general rule during streams, this is highly likely given the amount of discussing that takes place in there. That's partially why we opened up the Q&A thread, so that we can jump back and forth between the two to try and cover as many pressing questions as possible within the allocated amount of time.

I have however answered matchmaking questions on a number of occasions before. To those of you who are concerned about us restating things that we've already said before. this is a good example of why we do that so frequently. We can't expect everyone to trawl through every single thread and post for info about the game. We end up reiterating info on a fairly regularly basis as a result. This is normal. To those of you who've already seen/heard the answers, it's boring. But it's interesting info for many others.

So, with regards matchmaking. As we discussed on the stream last night, we do actually have some fixes in the pipeline for party matchmaking so that parties don't unintentionally disperse. As for the core of matchmaking. Nosgoth's release, which is getting ever nearer, will see an influx of new players that will allow the matchmaking system to make matches more accurately. We'll be tuning the system according to the playerbase at the time.

I believe Ryan acknowledged framerate related oddities during the stream saying that they require more investigation.

Forgive me for snipping these paragraphs out and flipping them, but I think you'll see why once you read this.

...It shouldnt be this way, devs should work WITH the community to make the game good, not ask for their opinion and ignore it anyway. Let us know what u guys are doing and planning to do, there are a ton of other developer teams that give out a list of stuff being worked on and stuff that was finished every week on their respective forums.
    We have a State of Play post each month that highlights the vast majority of what we can confirm is on the way without worry of it being de-prioritized and possibly never being released. Admittedly we don't always mention EVERYTHING in these posts as we sometimes like to keep some small surprises for launch day, but we do tend to talk about the more impactful changes.

Some developers absolutely do discuss what they've specifically been working on each week. The numbers of studios that do that is extremely small, and most tend to stop doing that after a while.

Above you stated that we need to be better about communicating what's on the way. Yet here you state that when you ask questions about new content/features that we haven't mentioned, you're slightly disappointed when you're not surprised by new info. That's a decent indication that our proactive communication is pretty thorough and that we are discussing upcoming content/releases fairly well.

I understand the desire to learn more about what's coming 6 months down the line. The timings on content/additions within updates on a live title are typically in a state of flux. This can be to a greater or lesser extent depending on how a studio operates. There are pros and cons to whichever way you do this. During my time here, Nosgoth development had typically been in a fairly high state of flux. The pros to that were that development could be quite responsive. I believe we released 5 updates in the space of 6 weeks in October/November for example. That was great, we were able to address some nasty grievances in the game. However adding those new items that needed to be addressed, to the dev schedule, took dev time away from other elements that were being worked. That changes the release window for the content that is no longer receiving attention, which means we can't reliably talk about it.

The approach for Nosgoth has changed somewhat with this forthcoming update. We've got a lot of different development items coming together in one patch. Bugs are being a major pain in the butt with this update, and so the release cycle has slowed down considerably while we try to crush those critters. The frequency of updates has dropped. But we've got a greater amount of content in one update than has been the case in a long time (or maybe even ever) for Nosgoth. We've been able to get a lot of info out to you about the Beastmaster and the Daily Challenge system as a result. I'm told that this is the most information about a new class that we've managed to publish prior to his release, that Nosgoth has ever seen.

So. There are pros, cons and differing levels of intensity that a studio can take when it comes to game updates, scheduling into the future, and being able to talk about that far-off content. Every studio/publisher looks to strike the best balance for their game. That's no mean feat, but it's something that we're steadily working toward.

Originally Posted by Dron1508
    Lol, I had asked about Silenced Cathedral lore for like 20 times before finally got my answer.
    Indeed. That Twitch chat moves quickly, and we're juggling quite a few things at once :P!

Originally Posted by Zarxiel93
    I lost the stream, can I see a record?
    I've added a link to the potato VoD in the first post.

I believe Ryan acknowledged framerate related oddities during the stream saying that they require more investigation.
    Ya - this needs adressing.

To the point of communication and feedback:
    I guess most players (veterans at least) have still not forgiven the Nosgoth staff for thouroghly ignoring and dismissing the biggest point of contention in a long time: Ranked Leagues.
    When they came out, we all liked the idea of having a 4-man ranked mode, so it would be easier to find scrims as a full team. What we got, was a solo ranked mode. What's worse though, was the introduction of a $10k prize pool, whilst also lowering the ESL prize pool - a fact which almost everyone on the forums cried about and wanted changed. We all know how that ended.

The only thing that was done was "pushing back the first ranked Season" from October to December... Which meant that the October Season was now called Alpha and the Season 1 was in December.. but it had the same prize structure and literally nothing was changed except the name.

I for one still hate everything about ranked, but not playing it is just not a viable way to play the game (especially since TDM is only populated with low-rank players or other players that take a break from the frustrations of ranked.)

I've added a link to the potato VoD in the first post.
    Thanks.

I don't like it when you guys playing games and speaking to the community at the same time in the life stream. I'm not englisch and I really have to concentrate to understand everything you guys saying. And playing games and answering questions all at the same time, thats just too much. Oghamsmith is playing and yelling too his screen, all the game audio and then Ryan trying to answer questions all in the mix, there is too much chaos.

You need more organization and coordination, like begin with 30, 45 minutes talking to the community, have a chat, answer some questions, then you can play a game, thats 20, 25 minutes, then again interaction with the community and so on...
    That way it's more understandable for non englisch speaking members.

Just saying...
    signature image
    The descent had destroyed me... and yet I lived.