Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *IMPORTANT* Scripted opportunities (Must be Fixed)

Thumbs Down *IMPORTANT* Scripted opportunities (Must be Fixed)

''Opportunities'' in this game was always present in any Hitman games. Meaning target will go under sabotaged chandelier and be killed or go to a certain meeting in a X amount of time. BUT this game has some serious problems with it.

All these events, will happen ONLY when you listen to a specific conversation or be in the right place for example:

1)Norfolk (man in white suit) goes aboard the ship ONLY when you have boarded it and learned in some conversation that he is due to meet your target for a business meeting.
    2)They go to a meeting only when you stand nearby and hear the conversation after which they proceed to it and then stay there forever.
    3)KGB operative will only go to see escape route plans with your target after you placed them in the projector.
    4)Two engineers will stay at their spawning points forever unless you finish listening to their conversation.

These event must happen no matter what, meaning you don't have to trigger them by listening to a specific conversation but rather wait when they happen and time your strategy in a limited amount of time. This is what Hitman is all about being in a right place at a right time, here it is be in a right place wherever you like.

Blood Money did this perfect, examples:

1)''Flatline'' target goes for a drink in X amount of time, second target goes to do their exercise in X amount of time and then find their doctor and go for a procedure, Third target goes for his meal in X amount of time.
    2)''Till death do us part'' Wedding starts in X amount of time, first target goes to play piano with breakable chandelier above it and then go eat the cake which can be poisoned, second target goes to the cemetary and then back to his room.
    3)''House of cards'' Dr arrives in X amount of time therefore triggering first target to fetch his briefcase which will be delivered to Sheikh who also arrives and goes for a meeting spot.
    4)''Dance with the devil'' CIA agent goes for a meeting in the basement party in the X amount of time, Singer will perform her shows in that time you can either hide where she meets you or sabotage her pyrotechnics.

I can't stress this enough THIS MUST BE FIXED and it is so simple (At least in my opinion) Make those conversations which triggers meeting in X amount of time. The game will thrive then!

I would also like to add that in Blood Money tutorial level was also, all scripted, all conversations there happened when you were present, but that level was also linear so you couldn't miss them. I hope they went for the same approach when they were making these tutorial levels.

Thank you for reading this far! - Concerned Hitman fan.

Inspiration for this thread taken from Steam Discussion post by user Blood Money here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/236870...7613566496551/
    Last edited by ReaperCCCP; 20th Feb 2016 at 02:04. Reason: Spelling checks

the absolute WORST part of the beta. This is not freedom of approach. It really hurts immersion, replayability. I don't want to feel I'm the one controlling the game. Go here, Ritter moves into place, go there, he doesn't. Wait in office, target never shows up because I didn't walk near him??? C'mon , this is kid's stuff guys. From what I've read, all this scripted crap is in the Paris level also.

Can confirm that the Paris level did have this scripted stuff in the alpha - as far as I remember, viktor doesn't walk down the stairs unless the player enters the mansion, where you'll hear the same NPC dialogue over and over and over again on each playthrough.

"Viktor sure knows how to make an entrance!"
    "*Gasps*That's Viktor Novikov!"

If I find out these scripted events are going to be apart of the full game I'm seriously considering getting a refund before release, if I don't find out before release I'll just play the first level of the main game on release and get a steam refund.

I'm not gonna get suckered into playing another Absolution. My hopes were so high for this game too. Really disappointed.

VERY IMPORTANT it seriously has to change. It's a major downer, these huge , beautiful locations to play around in, but we can't truly play around. Frustrating as hell. PLEASE, FOR US FANS THAT REALLY CARE, CHANGE IT TO BEING ON A "CLOCK" OF SOME KIND. it brings the game down from a 10 to a 5.

I have to agree with the above. On my second playthrough of the first tutorial mission I broke into the office beforehand and planted a bomb. Then I waited... and waited... and waited...

I'm not entirely sure if anything I did triggered the meeting but I did end up having to avoid a security guard's line of sight and observe the target before anything happened.

If this is based on the player's interaction with the level as suggested then this should be changed to a timer-based approach instead (though having the player speed up certain interactions would be nice as well).

Quote Originally Posted by radioteque View Post
    Can confirm that the Paris level did have this scripted stuff in the alpha - as far as I remember, viktor doesn't walk down the stairs unless the player enters the mansion, where you'll hear the same NPC dialogue over and over and over again on each playthrough.

"Viktor sure knows how to make an entrance!"
    "*Gasps*That's Viktor Novikov!"
    Ideally it should be both - target should do all their stuff over time regardless of player actions, but player should be able to force AI to do something ahead of its time by using opportunities

I second this notion. Being in any vicinity to trigger events is no good approach. What if I want to set up a sniper kill from afar? Would never work if the target was out of sight.
    Also, as other people mentioned, it feels that everyone is just waiting for me instead of doing their own routine. It also interferes with the given gameplay. I have been trying for some time to get the "Set up KGB officer to electrocute Knight" kill and when I switch off the projector, they both just stand there and talking about the plan when they should stop and wonder why the lights went off, but that just happens AFTER the dialogue. This not well implemented, if it's not a beta bug.

This is definitely going to kill replayability in the final game. They expect people to entertain themselves for an entire month on a single level, but there's only so much patience you can have for going through the same scripted events time after time.

I strongly agree, in games prior to Absolution, the game's "story" would progress regardless of wherever 47 is there to witness a event or conversation, its what I hated the most about Absolution, where NPC's would blankly stare at each other untill you come close enough, they start a conversation and then leave to finally join the rest of the npc's in walking around in the level.

the "story" should progress no matter where the player is of what he is doing or wearing.
    Even to the extent where like in past Hitman game's the target will just leave the map after a set amount of time would be nice for 1 or 2 levels.

I agree also. Change it please IOI.

I'm just browsing through this forum to see if my thoughts have been mentioned, this is one of them, I don't have much to add, just my +1 so that this gets emphasized. Keep opportunities in, but this whole hand-holding that it is in the beta is horrible. Let us figure out ourselves what we need to, a small icon at the most important place is just fine. (For example a small crowbar icon on the lamp in Final Test when you're on the rooftop, a small wrench icon on the jet when you are in the hangar... but nothing else.)

I agree.
    The first couple of playthroughs you don't notice it, but after those its really obvious that you are the one in control.
    I don't like that.
    At least make it an option or something. "Universal event clock" or something like that.

I want to throw in my +1 as well. The levels need to work on an in-game clock. Otherwise an awesome experience.

Sometimes these issues bother me and sometimes they do not. It all depends on the target, the location of the target and what is going on. For the most part I thought Absolution was a good game. The locations seemed so real to me that I didn't really mind scripted events because I felt so much apart of the Hitman world. Imagine if you really could go back in time and you wanted to steal a certain car. Lets say the owner wouldn't leave his keys on the table unless you called and said his daughter was in an accident across the street in which the protective father throws his keys on the table and rushes out the door. If you were to replay this event several times... The guy would go about his day-to-day the same way every time... Unless you scripted the phone call. That's the way I look at Absolution. Certain events have to be scripted. Anyways... That's my opinion. I do not think the devs are gonna go through great lengths to change the game as drastic as what you are wanting anyways. Either way I will be happy.

Agreed. I could somewhat tolerate it in the beta because the levels weren't that big, but I can see it becoming very frustrating in the larger levels for sure.

I also /sign this petition. The Levels must complete their main story without the players involvement. Time pressure, being in the right spot at the right time is the very essence of Hitman.

NPC reactions to your actions may be scripted (e.g. the guards discussing Knights flight to the moon) but everything else needs to play out independently from 47s movement.

I hope IOI hears our pleas and remembers why they did it diffrently in the classic hitman games.
    The new one is so.. so close to being a worthy successor to Blood Money. I must have played those 13 BM Levels hundreds of times in the last 10 years. It is high time for a replacement on my rainy day shelve!

Quote Originally Posted by 502true View Post
    Sometimes these issues bother me and sometimes they do not. It all depends on the target, the location of the target and what is going on. For the most part I thought Absolution was a good game. The locations seemed so real to me that I didn't really mind scripted events because I felt so much apart of the Hitman world. Imagine if you really could go back in time and you wanted to steal a certain car. Lets say the owner wouldn't leave his keys on the table unless you called and said his daughter was in an accident across the street in which the protective father throws his keys on the table and rushes out the door. If you were to replay this event several times... The guy would go about his day-to-day the same way every time... Unless you scripted the phone call. That's the way I look at Absolution. Certain events have to be scripted. Anyways... That's my opinion. I do not think the devs are gonna go through great lengths to change the game as drastic as what you are wanting anyways. Either way I will be happy.
    I think what people mean are the events scripted on your actual placement on the level, not so much scripted events where you actually interact with something.

For instance on the boat level, the interaction between the target and the man in the white hat won't happen until you're on the east side of the boat. If I enter on the west side and stay on that side, the interaction won't happen until I go to the east side. What people are saying is they want these events to occur regardless of where you are in the level. Events where you have to call a certain character or interact with an item which prompts a certain character to move there are fine (I.E. telling the commander that you have retrieved the slides and are waiting for the target.)

Quote Originally Posted by Superergo366 View Post
    I think what people mean are the events scripted on your actual placement on the level, not so much scripted events where you actually interact with something.

For instance on the boat level, the interaction between the target and the man in the white hat won't happen until you're on the east side of the boat. If I enter on the west side and stay on that side, the interaction won't happen until I go to the east side. What people are saying is they want these events to occur regardless of where you are in the level. Events where you have to call a certain character or interact with an item which prompts a certain character to move there are fine (I.E. telling the commander that you have retrieved the slides and are waiting for the target.)
    Yes, that's correct. The issue therein is that events should unfold with or without 47's presence or involvement. Like in the Paris episode, when Novikov has to meet with the head of the fashion show; it doesn't happen until 47 is nearby. It seems nonsensical. "I have a meeting with this person soon, but I cannot start the meeting until that bald stranger is within proximity."

(click image to enlarge)

What the heck? This sounds awful! Why is it so hard for developers to understand what their fans want nowadays?

This is actually a dealbreaker for me. If this is not something that will be fixed i will refund the game. I remember the first target in the beta, he will actually not go to the office without you doing what the game wants, playing a bartender for example. That destroys the beauty of the realtime world the Hitman series have always been famous for.

Im still no fan of them still using that instincts mode where you instantly see your target. Why not just let us look ourself?

agree with the triggers. awful. But , who is forcing you to use instinct. It's totally optional in two ways, either turn it off or just don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbianco View Post
    agree with the triggers. awful. But , who is forcing you to use instinct. It's totally optional in two ways, either turn it off or just don't use it.
    Very true.

(click image to enlarge)

from Nick Price twitch beta comments:
    HITMAN: - yeah, there's a lot of stuff we've fixed. The changelist is too long for me to get on here but performance fixes and triggering and lots of other things are different. The missions themselves are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbianco View Post
    from Nick Price twitch beta comments:
    HITMAN: - yeah, there's a lot of stuff we've fixed. The changelist is too long for me to get on here but performance fixes and triggering and lots of other things are different. The missions themselves are the same.
    Good to hear!

(click image to enlarge)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast